By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Banjoman

Here is a list of all the postings Banjoman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sweet Sue II
16/04/2020 11:47:06

Ashley,

The ESC instructions explicitly state that power will drop to half if the voltage drops below the set value or, indeed, the ESC gets too hot; taken in conjunction with what Dave M says about never yet having run down a LiPo to the point of triggering a low voltage reaction, I'm not unduly worried to go belt-only, but as I'd already also ordered the additional alarm, I might perhaps just as well include the braces of it in the circuit?! We'll see. In any case it is, I thiink, a simple in-line unit, so easy to plug in or remove as one's fancy takes one.

Speaking of ordering stuff, today the first of four outstanding orders for this build showed up in the post. Funnily enough it turned out to the last one made, but what with everybody and their uncle (and aunt, and cousin, and the bloke they sat next to back in 5th grade) currently ordering on-line like billy-oh, the Post Office and courier companies are having trouble keeping up, I believe.

In any case, this was the second (and smaller) of two Sweet Sue II-related orders from Albatros Modelbouw up in Mechelen, and in it was a 3S LiPo extension balancing lead ...

verktyg488.jpg

... and also some protective covers for male JST-XH connectors.

verktyg489.jpg

Furthermore, there was a grubscrew-fastened aluminium tiller for a 4 mm rudder shaft ...

fhbygg7.jpg

... and two pushrod swivel nuts (also grubscrew-secured).

fhbygg8.jpg

To be continued ...

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 16/04/2020 11:47:49

Edited By Banjoman on 16/04/2020 11:48:18

Edited By Banjoman on 16/04/2020 11:49:05

Thread: Todays Boating
16/04/2020 10:20:41

Ashley,

I, too, am very sorry to hear of your family's sad loss. Please accept my sincere sympathy.

Mattias

Thread: Comanche 32
13/04/2020 19:07:24

Hello Ray,

No, I can't say that Moonbeam saw much time at the pond last year, as the first time I took her there, the water was lower than usual, aand the wind was fairly strong, too, so I managed to sail too close to a rarther rocky part of the shore, with as a result a number of (not too severe) scratches below the waterline.

I still have to take the entire rig down, and turn her upside down in the paint shop, to repair said scratches. Not a big job; just one that I've been putting off ...

Cheers,

Mattias

Thread: Osprey - Trip Boat 28'
13/04/2020 19:02:35

Hello Ray,

That we will indeed – and maybe popping down to the pub (we've a rather nice one here in the village), and going to some other sort of shop than one selling food or pharmaceuticals ... But yes, indeed: pond-ho, 'twill be!

Mattias

13/04/2020 15:54:05

Dave,

Righty-ho. That does indeed sound as though a belt will be sufficient to keep the boat's trousers up, or in other words that I won't bother with the additional alarm.

And, alas!, even (relatively) svelte, (relatively) young'uns do need summat to keep their britches from flying at half-mast ...

Mattias

13/04/2020 12:54:54

Tim,

Yes, that's pretty much what I figured, and I'm happy to report that I have now ordered the programming card in question, together with the LiPo and so on.

Mattias

13/04/2020 12:01:15

Dave,

I quite forgot to say about the in-line voltage alarm that I was indeed aware from reading the ESC instructions sheet that there already is a cut-off included, but my thinking was that an added alarm, set at a slightly higher threshold, coukld be helpful if set to sound a warning before the actual cut-off threshold was reached?

Or am I being too belt-and-braces here? Said instructions for the ESC to seem to say that cut-off doesn't mean that it stops dead, mid-pond, but rather that powert is reduced but with sufficient time to bring the boat back to shore?!

Mattias

13/04/2020 11:54:43

Dave,

Yes indeed – that, together with the postings from Tim and Ray, very much answers my questions!

As for the P106, I note, now, that it is indeed out of stock at the Component-Shop, and of course your suggestion of not bothering with a switch but just plugging in and unplugging at the pond side will work just as well. In other words, many kind thanks for you offer to look through the toy-box, but there's really no need.

So! A-shopping I will go!

Cheers,

Mattias

13/04/2020 11:43:57

Hi Ray,

Thank you, too, for those reassuring words

Kind regards,

Mattias

13/04/2020 11:41:55

Hello Tim,

Many thanks for your very helpful reply!

I was not least very interested to read what you had to say about charge bags and their (lack of) effectiveness. I have also cast a beady eye on the Robbe RO-Safety LiPo Vault charging and storage box (**LINK**). As it is rather more expensive, it might, best case, also be more effective! Or, it might just be more effective at taking one's money from one?!

Do you or does anyone else have any thoughts on that?

I'm also glad to hear you say that LiPo:s should be able to survive at least normal levels of neglect – that is at least a small weight off my mind

Again, warmest thanks!

Cheers,

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 13/04/2020 11:42:39

13/04/2020 11:11:54

At this stage of my pre-build collection of bits and bobs, I would very much like to ask for a spot of advice on a couple of LiPo-related matters, before I send an order off to Component-Shop.

As already mentioned, I picked up a motor (Leopard LC2826 1150 Kv) and corresponding ESC (Leopard Marine V3 30A) back in the autumn of 2017, specifically with this build in mind.

fhbygg5.jpg

Based on Dave Milbourns article in MB (January and february 2016), I am now planning to add the following:

• Giant Power 11.1V (3S) 2600mAh 35C/70C LiPo (**LINK**);
  • In-line low voltage alarm w. Deans connectors (**LINK**);
  • LiPo Battery Fireproof Bag (Large) (**LINK**);
  • ACTion P106 In-Line Power Switch (**LINK**) and a small toggle switch;
  • Leopard Program Card for RC Boats Brushless Speeed Controller (**LINK**)
  • Some lengths of black and red silicon wire in various AWG (for use on this project but also to stock up).

My first question is thus if anyone has any comments on or suggestions for improving on this list?

As this is my very first brush (ha!) with brushless and even more the first time I even consider using a LiPo battery, I will admit to being slightly apprehensive, given all the dire warnings surrounding said LiPo:s. It is not so much that I fear being unable to understand how to handle them, but more that it seems that they are more likely to suffer from neglect, and should be charged/discharged/balanced about once a month?!

Now, I know from my experience with Pb and NiMh batteries that I'm not all that great when it comes to remembering to give them their TLC sessions, but with those chemistries at least the worst that'll happen is that they become tired enough of life that I lose my investment, and have to buy a new one.

The thing is that what with all my other hobbies and interests and work and life in general, I don't tend to get to the pond all that often, even during the season, so am unlikely to be reminded about cycling batteries through frequency of actual use.

My second question is thus how sensitive you have found LiPo:s to be to neglect? Will they just cease working properly if I forget to cycle them every month or so? Or will they become dangerous, either to continue to store or (even more so) to use again?

Finally, as far as I can figure out, my current charger (a SkyRC e6650) should be fully capable of handling all the necessary charging/discharging/balancing of the kind of LiPo pack mentioned above.

My third question is thus whether I'm right in thinking that I don't need to get another charger?

fhbygg6.jpg

Warmest thanks in advance

Mattias

Thread: Osprey - Trip Boat 28'
13/04/2020 10:36:12

A very nice prototype, Ray, and lots of full-speed-ahead progress. And I really like the shaped stem post!

Mattias

Thread: The Dredger Ramsgate
13/04/2020 10:33:53

Fully concur with Chris: a really lovely model, indeed!

Mattias

Thread: Comanche 32
10/04/2020 20:14:59

A very interesting project, Ray – and I'm quite keen, too, when eventually you get that far (and we're all allowed back out again), to hear how she does on the water!

Mattias

10/04/2020 16:45:01

Anyway, delightful asides aside, today I took delivery of a nice, hefty parcel from Slec, with a goodish bundle of ply, liteply and some block balsa wood ...

fhbygg3.jpg

I hope it goes without saying that it is not all intended for this build – it's just that I though I might as well replenish my stock of of these materials while I was at it.

I already have most of the drive train, in the form of a brushless motor with corresponding ESC, a motor mount, a bronze propeller from Protean Designs, a propshaft and an SHG flexible coupling, all of which I bought at the IMBS back in November 2017 ...

fhbygg4.jpg

Before I actually start doing all that much in the way of building, I shall want to complete this with some LiPo:s, a r/x for my radio and a steering servo and rudder linkage. I will also need to check my stock of silicon wire, Dean type connectors, and other such stuff, although I think I'm good to go for most of those.

And if I'm going to use LiPo:s, I should probably get one of those low voltage alarms as well?!

Oh, and some glass fibre cloth and Z-Poxy resin, too!

So, still some thinking and buying to be done. A lucky thing that all this sort of stuff can be easily ordered online! Usually, I would get most of this kind opf stuff over the counter at one of several very well stocked model emporia within half an hour's drive from home, but right now, not so much opf that. So online I will go

To be continued ...

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 10/04/2020 16:45:11

Edited By Banjoman on 10/04/2020 16:46:22

Edited By Banjoman on 10/04/2020 16:47:05

10/04/2020 16:28:30

Gemplemorums all,

Warmest thanks for all your kind words of encouragement – I can but try my cunningest plannest, eh wot wot ...

Apologies, too, for slowness of reply – I've been pretty busy these last two days with setting up a new computer.

Dave M.,

I'm afraid I've learned the hard way not to combine these two pastimes, as my patience (already in short supply under the best of circs) tends to go out where the Ardbeg goes in. Just as these days I prefer not to drink (very much) beer during a gig, as opposed to what was often the case in my well-spent youth ...

youngmanwithabanjo.jpg

Paul T.,

Hmm ... Boom, Boom?!

Ray,

I never really went away, but I will admit to mainly lurking for a goodish while, now.

And I, too, very much love 'Allo, 'Allo, not least because the original BBC drama series of which it was a spoof, Secret Army, was a huge hit on Swedish television where it was broadcast during the summers of 1981–1983, i.e. when I was in my teens, and I still have very vivid memories of the whole family gathering of an evening to catch the latest episode. The original was not set in France, though, but in Brussels and Belgium, but I dare say that the comedy makers' box of cliches was rather more well filled when it came to poking fun at the French than at the Belgians ... ?!

That said, my "cunning plan" refrence was rather intended to call up Baldrick of Blackadder fame ...

Ashley,

No, no – those are jigs for making hot air balloons, dontcherknow!

Gareth,

That is a beautiful clock! A very impressive build, and the plaque is a really nice touch!

Mine is more of a family heirloom, although not at all in the "valuable antique" sense of the term. It is one of those mass-produced eight day clocks from around the turn of the previous century, in Sweden often called America Clocks, because (a) many were made over there, and (b) they were not uncommonly sent as gifts to remaining family by sufficiently successful Swedish immigrants to the US. They are very common, and in monetary terms more or less worthless.

klocka1.jpg

However, when it comes to sentimental value, it is a different story.

In rough numbers, about a million Swedes emigrated to the US between 1850 and 1920, at a time when the country had a population of between three and four millions. My paternal grandfather, whio was a Master Blacksmith, was one of those emigrants (as was his sister), and he spent the years circa 1895–1905 in Chicago. He then came back to Sweden to help take care of things at the death of his father, and, what with one thing and another, never went back. However, it was only in 1927, two years after my uncle was born, that he finally disposed of the plot of land he'd up until then had had in Chicago and where he'd intended to build a house. He died in 1954, so alas, I never knew him.

In any case, whether it came with him from America, or was acquired some other way, the clock initially belonged to my great grandmother. After her death, it came to my paternal grand parents, where it remained until my grandmother died in 1968. It then went to to my father, but as in 1968 he already had two young children, one of whom was I, with two more arriving in the next few years, my parents wisely decided not to hang it in the house. Instead it sat, unwound, on the wall in what, when the apartment block was built, was intended to be the maid's bedroom, but which my father used as a sort of box room to store his paintings and painting paraphernalia.

Then, around the time that the above photo of me was taken, i.e. around 1986 or 1987, I asked myfather if he wouyld min if I were to hang the clock in my room, and set it going again? He of course said "no worries", so I put up a hook, and hung it on the wall of my room (I was still living with my parents at the time), roughly three feet from where I'd put my head on the pillow of a night! For the first three weeks, I had to hang a dressing gown over it at night, to stop the chimes from waking me up, but after that I'd gotten used to the sound of the ticking and the chimes, and to this day, I hardly ever hear it. In any case, I have kept it running ever since, and so far it has just kept ticking along. I dare say I should have it cleaned and serviced one of these days, but as long as it keeps going, I'm sort of disinclined to bother it with too much TLC. It slows down a bit towards the end of the week (I usually wind it on Sundays), and then speeds ahead when newly wound, so while not accurate to anything within 10 minutes or, it is more or less right on average, and good enough for an o'clockish approximation of the time ...

klocka2.jpg

To be continued ...

Mattias

07/04/2020 15:46:43

Dave,

In which case I think I'd better refrain from pouring any JD (or other amber liquid of equivalent effect), at least pre-any building session ...

Paul,

Is this where I say "I have a cunning plan"?

Mattias

Thread: Coming off the tangent ...
07/04/2020 13:05:46

Bob,

It is just a silly play on words (What? Me? Playing on words? Nah ...), or rather on the figurative expression "going off at a tangent", that is to diverge or err. So if I've been off at a tangent by working wood instead of building model boats, well, if I now go back to model boats I must be leaving said tangential path, eh wot wot?! Thus, coming off the tangent

Paul T.,

Wow. That is learning proper, that is! I'm just an amateur, and very much still on the lowest slopes of the learning curve mountain.

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 07/04/2020 13:06:17

07/04/2020 11:20:56

Dave,

All I say is, please see **LINK**

Paul,

Thank you very much

I can't say that I still sharpen and set my own saws, as they are recent enough acquisitions not yet to be in need of such treatment; however, I very much intend to do it myself when the time comes. I have both a saw vise and the requisite files and sets ...

verktyg471.jpg

... and last autumn spent a whole week in London, learning how-to from a real master of that particular art, namely Mark Harrell who owns and runs the Bad Axe Tool Works (http://badaxetoolworks.com) whence I bought my saws.

s?gfilarn1.jpg

Mattias

Edited By Banjoman on 07/04/2020 11:21:54

07/04/2020 11:09:29

As just mentioned in another thread (**LINK**), I'm about to begin my next model boat build, which will be a 1/16 scale Fairey Huntsman 31 from Dave Milbourn's set of plans that were first presented in the January and February 2016 issues of Model Boats.

fhbygg1.jpg

When I decide on what to build, there are usually two main considerations.

The first one is of course quite simply that the subject is one that I find attractive. I am on the whole not a major fan of motor or speed boats – de gustibus, and all that – but the Fairey family are certainly an exception to this rule: I find them very pretty indeed!

The second consideration is what challenges I want the build to provide, and with this one that is going to be the use of a brushless motor and up-to-date (read: LiPo) battery technology, neither of which I've any experience with.

So. The other day I got out the plans and the relevant MB issues, both to re-familiarise myself with the project, and to figure out what building materials I would need to get started ...

fhbygg2.jpg

An order was subsequently put in with Slec for i.a. lite-ply and some balsa blocks, and I am now waiting for them to have time (surprise, surprise: with all UK model builders in lockdown, mail order suppliers are very busy right now) to fulfill said order.

In the meantime, I'll keep re-reading Dave's two articles and also some of the other documentation that I have collected over the last couple of years.

Oh, and I should perhaps explain the choice of name for the boat, too?! Well, Sweet Sue (Just You) is of course a jazz classic, written in 1928 by Victor Young and Will Harris, but also, as my wife's name is Susanne, a song with a certain personal resonance (f'rinstance, my wife's mobile phone ring tone is me playing and singing Sweet Sue ...). And as I believe it to be not uncommon for vessels of this kind to be named with reference to an owner's significant other, well, Sweet Sue II seemed appropriate enough to me ...

To be continued ...

Mattias

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor