By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for androot

Here is a list of all the postings androot has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Robbe Valdivia
28/06/2020 19:57:29

Hello, fellow modellers.

I'm a big fan of Valdivia therefore I decided to hunt her down.

My question is - do any of you have or know somebody who has that magnificent boat in their stash?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Thread: rigging
13/04/2009 18:06:28
Hello. Thanks a lot for help Bob. 
Quite obvious explanation Colin, I feel like an idiot now, there is enough people on the real boat to deal with the rigging. Dont think its possible to make it work on a model...
I have one more question to Bob. How did you reslove the issue about controlling the most forward jib (not sure if its called staysail). Having two jibs its very difficult to controll them unless two servos are used, one per jib... Those two interfere with each other dont they?
I found the book Kevin, thanks a lot.
Britannia looks great by the way 

Andy
11/04/2009 12:55:55
Hello. Thanks for your reply. First thing I got victoria so I know the practical basics of rigging bermuda yacht. The one I'm building is gaff. There is one thing concerning me; there is no backstay as the boom is too long and the shape of the main sail doesnt allow for the backstay to go to the aft. Looking at the classic yacht like for instance moonbeam we can see shrouds going to the sides of the boat. Thing i dont understand is why the boom has restricted travel. Should it be like that???? 
Anyway I just need some tips on how to rig my yacht so its not only working rc boat but a good real looking boat as well.
Andy
31/03/2009 14:01:56
Hello sailers. I'm back on my boat. Its going to be something like j class yacht, similar to moonbeam. Just need some advice on how to rig it. My concern is not only about working matters but the look as well, as I'm a passionate modelmaker who likes to put some life into the model (RC). Maybe somebody know a book where i can find examples of rigging techniques.
Thread: Liquid lead meets fibreglass
17/02/2008 10:16:00

I hope my description of playing with lead was not too ecouraging.  Sounds fair, if you wanna do something stupid, dont share it with others.

Anyway, I was very pleased with what i did, in spite of being stupid. Some say ..who doesn't try doesn't win...

Regards

Andy 

Thread: CE to CLR/mast position
12/02/2008 21:28:00

Adjustable mast is not being taken into account. Just want ot make nice looking and offcourse sailing boat. I'm not going to compete. Because I'm a modelmaker i want ot make this boat look as real as possible. Maybe in the end I'll just put the mast 10-20% (lengh of the hull) of the CLR towards fore, I read it somewhere....

Thank you

Andy

11/02/2008 19:37:00

Hello its me again. I'm still struggling to find the position of the mast even knowing the centre of effort. I found some info given by some guy but i cant get my head around that. He said: "..... Your method is simply finding the CLR (center of lateral resistance). This is not where the mast should go! This is in basic terms where your center of your keel should be. Your mast position would be related to your CE (center of effort) of your sails. All sailboats operate with a lead, usually described in a percentage of your water line to the relationship of the CLR to the CE. In a standard Bermuda rig, it is usually about 17% or more.
Setting your mast at the CLR will push the CE way too far back! To find the CE of your sails; draw a line from the tack to the center of the luff and another from the tack to the center of the leech. Where these two lines intersect is the center of effort for each sail. Draw a line that connects the two sails CE and the midpoint of that line should be close to the CE of the whole rig. Find your LWL and the percentage of lead and set your boat up that way....." How do i know the relatioship CLR to CE when i dont know where the mast sits....

I still dont know what is going on, can somebody explain me how to find the mast position or help me understand the stuff

PS I'm reading second book and still no hope. 

Thread: Liquid lead meets fibreglass
09/02/2008 22:43:00

Hello again, sailers. After some thinking i did not like the fact of having  more lead going up the  hull, just wanted to concetrate as much lead as possible as close to the bottom as possible;-I so as i was cutting the lead into small bits i decided to have a go. Being stupidly stubborn polish bloke i had to try.... and i DID IT!!! Absolutely nothing happen to the hull. I t was immersed in homemade tank of water. The operation, as you can imagine, took me looooong time, around 5 hrs.  I was  melting  it bit by bit, something like 100 grams every round. I lost my count after 5. At the end the hull weights about 3 kilos. I left some room for other stuff like servos and battery.

Regards

Andy 

08/02/2008 13:00:00

Thank you all for help. As i have lead sheet I'll cut it into small pieces and drop them into the hull.

Regards

Andy 

05/02/2008 13:14:00

Thats what I thought. I was just mislead by one guy who actually did it and he shared his experience on the net (http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Modellers/Eddy_Mathews/1ndex.htm). As a first timer I think I will stop even thinking about it.

Thank you very much for the advise.

Andy

04/02/2008 18:53:00
Hi there, i'm just going to put ballast into the hull but i'm not sure if i can do it with a liquid lead, even with the hull immersed in icy water. Has anybody ever done that?
Thread: Help needed on planking
20/01/2008 11:05:00
did you try graingersmodels.co.uk, alwayshobbies.com, waverleymodels.co.uk?
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor