By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ashley needham

Here is a list of all the postings ashley needham has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: BRUTUS MK 11
16/07/2020 10:24:29

Bob, see the last pictures Paul posted. The boat was fitted with torpedo tubes and deflectors that doubled as a front spray rail. Almost exactly the same as you propose.

Ashley

15/07/2020 21:59:33

Bob, as Paul says, the deflectors you have mocked up look just like those fitted to the mk1 and from the photo seem to be working as they should.

Ashley

Thread: todays boating
15/07/2020 21:55:01

Cheers Bob.

Ran Bluebird and Cobb, followed by the Hobbies Hydro..definitely running better on the new extended motor/prop adaptor allowing a pitchier 7x4 prop.

Richards schooner looked great and sIled well in the fairly light breeze.

Trevors Iti racer showing promise, and lastly Noel’s “Devils toothpick” (which I didn’t see) he assures me was running better than it did before.

Then we went home!

Ashley

15/07/2020 07:47:32

Sooner have Barbie....

Thread: 3 Motors RC Boat
15/07/2020 07:46:48

Kip. The Turnigy (28mm?) 2200Kv motor puts out 340 watts max....your probably bog standard 540 put out....40?? 50 ??or, lets be silly....100Watts.

No wonder it goes a bit better!

Ashley

14/07/2020 21:43:04

Bluebird, Cobb and Hobbies Hydro tomorrow. Oh yes!

Ashley

Thread: 3 Motors RC Boat
14/07/2020 20:47:02

I will stick my neck out and say that virtually ALL fast r/c speedboats (this sort of hull) use single motors/props.

You might want two or three props for specific models...ie scale torpedo boats etc, but otherwise....

Cavitation can affect all prop sizes big or small.

Your boat has three props as it is a ready-to-run type and it looks sexy in the packaging. Lots of RTR boats have two props, but they do not have rudders, control being by differential prop speed (cuts down costs).

Some of these hulls are very nice and can be made to go very well with replacement motors.

Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 14/07/2020 20:47:29

Edited By ashley needham on 14/07/2020 20:49:17

14/07/2020 19:26:53

William.

I would be inclined to rip the lot out and fit just one motor.

Would be adequate and save a fortune on esc, leads and motors.

As it is configured, I could see the outboard prop cavitating as it goes into a tight turn.

Ashley

14/07/2020 19:21:06

I would have said at least 4mm deep for the rails? it is a big boat and the hull sides can take a wider rail without it looking too wide.

I would err on slightly too wide and deep a rail rather than too small, as adding more to the rail afterwards (if it needs it) would be difficult later on.

Bob...surely you must have LOADS of tools to use a weighty bits!!

Ashley

Thread: Huntress 23 Long Cabin Version
14/07/2020 09:19:50

Do you have to strip and regrease these cable driven outboards like you should do on flexidrives after each outing??

i have heard too many people complain that these cables do not last very long, but it that due to the fact that they are being driven whilst being in a tight bend, or lack of maintenance?..or is it that they are simply thrashed to death.

Ashley

14/07/2020 09:11:07

Bob. I like the string idea, it’s much better than using tape which I find tends to pull or lose tension. With the string you have good tension all round.

Did the original look like it needed spray rails? I must say that having the rubbing strip become a spray rail is an ingenious idea.

Ashley

Thread: Vic Smeed's HMS Cossack MM500
12/07/2020 15:09:20

Like the look of those rings Ray.,will bear that in mind...in fact it’s the sort of thing the ‘come in handy’ box should have in it.

Ashley

12/07/2020 14:56:01

Sorry, the 14th is Tuesday!

Instructive boating, Trevor, Peter and myself today.

Swordfish tried with a 3s Lipo (brushed don’t forget) and despite the battery being perched on top itsent quite well. If we considered that the 120g thrust was upped by about a third, then..barring th3 3s is a bit heavier than the2s, this would be the sort of performance we could expect from a 30mm edf.

Trevors Iti racer showed promise, we will leave it at that. The way forward has been defined though, so that’s good.

Weds am for proper boating, 10 ish onwards I am thinking....at long last. Will have Bluebird to test.

unfortunately 4 of the new boats need

lipos so can’t test them all on the same day.

Ashley

11/07/2020 18:26:57

Of course I was pulling Kevin’s leg. 4x 850s weigh a serious amount and anyone contemplating something fast would choose a 35mm brushless (pair, possibly) developing twice as much power and weighing probably only 1/3 the weight.

However Bob doesn’t want to go fast and if he has a pair of 850 motors they would do...?

Our Trevors current project has a 28mm 2200Kv outrunner developing 342 watts, according to spec..for something the size of a 300 can sized brushed motor.

Ashley

11/07/2020 12:46:14

Bushy park news....park will be open for cars on Monday 14th, but only weekdays...deep joy!

Have 5 boats to test properly/for the first time.

Ashley

Thread: Graupner Wiesel RC setup
11/07/2020 12:44:00

Looking good Kip.

Water entry...through the actual tube or around the tube/hull joint.

Thats a lot of water...good job it didn’t start Togo under!

Ashley

Thread: OSA 1 Missile Boat
11/07/2020 12:41:53

Very nice Tim. Very nice indeed. Although they call the Phalanx CIWS “Daleks”, these are the real m’coy!

Incidentally the Phalanx system has not got a good track record when it comes down to it. It was only ever meant to be a stop-gap, but it’s still here...bit like opening hours and the speed limit on motorways!

Ashley

11/07/2020 12:37:26

No probs Bob.

They have been available for such a longtime as they are so GOOD!

Versatile, powerful....they have it all. None of your fancy alloys. A lovely lump to heft in the hand.

4, that’s a good number Bob.....

Ashley

11/07/2020 09:23:34

Bob. Howes have 850s for £22 each. What exactly do you mean by “850s have been out for years” ??

Ashley

10/07/2020 18:06:19

Arr. Trying for Sunday morning as Trevor wants to test the Iti racer.

It has progressed to the point where some testing has to be done to suss out how well it works and what mods are needed. I was going to say "if any" but there are bound to be some tweaks needed with something like this.

We met on Wednesday and discussed ....stuff.... and conversation turned to the Swordfish, performance thereof, with the brushed EDF. Trevor has a dinky little Blue....

...EDF... 45mm, and you can get 30mm ones for increased oomph. Shall I?? shan`t I??? Hmmmm

Sunday will be Swordfish if its really nice as I could do with some snaps, if not, then the Jet lander.

Ashley

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Sarik
Nylet
Shrek
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor