By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ashley needham

Here is a list of all the postings ashley needham has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bend in a control rod ????
14/02/2021 09:59:41

I didn’t know there were such things Ray! However, a pair if thin nose pliers does the job for the occasional use that it would get here.

Last few models built have used snake, ball joint and pivoting servo arm connectors as the method due to the need to run the control rod outside the hull but keep the water out.

The big destroyer had such a long run that the snake was the only choice, as I could not support the length of a metal rod sufficiently along the run to stop it bending, being a retro-fit and not having access to half the run under the deck. As received it did have a single piano wire rod,unsupported!

Ashley

Thread: Bowman
13/02/2021 22:49:28

Ok I will come clean.

I am with Richard. It was meant to be played with.

It is the same as seeing an instrument on the wall of a pub for me, a waste.

Ashley

Thread: Todays Boating
13/02/2021 11:17:30

I will use a “travel luggage” electronic baggage weigher to get a more quantitive measure on these items, rather than an eyeball and hand appraisal, when permitted.

Ashley

13/02/2021 11:02:54

Not yet. Waiting for de-lockdown I am afraid to test in “open water”.

Richard has tried his on an X30 and reports lots of whoosh, but obviously it’s all subjective in the bath.

Ashley

13/02/2021 10:59:46

Snake just the same, keep servo arm/tiller same angle.

Snake allows really long runs to be fitted...about 3 feet in the case of my big destroyer, and they are rustproof and need no lubrication.

Ashley

Thread: Fisher 34 motorsailer
11/02/2021 09:40:45

FGerorge. I am sure everyone is interested! It’s the sort of info you file away for the future.

The rigging and tackle looks great I must say.not me area of expertise, but very neat.

I felt for you regarding a possible non working dead bow thruster. A fair few of my models are compromised by the need for good access, but it does give peace of mind.

i might reiterate Chis’s comment re all the electricky stuff on the hull!

Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 11/02/2021 09:42:55

11/02/2021 09:34:35

Watching a 39 inch Basset Lowke destroyer on eBay. Starting price £1500 ! So nothing I will be buying.

Oddly, or not, it looks much the same as my 6 foot destroyer, a “period” look, helped by the large size of it (but only a toddler, really). A nice thing in good nick with....working electric motor ...!

Several Sutcliffe Valiant battleships on there as well all about over £200.

Ashley

Thread: lulonga paddle wheel tug
10/02/2021 20:27:18

Jeff. Not a paddle expert but have been led to believe something around the 100-150rpm is the sort of range for a model paddler.

i think any faster and they start to look silly. I am sure a suitable gearing and esc should give you this sort of max easily.

No doubt there are paddle experts lining up to dispute this, but..

Ashley

Thread: Flags
10/02/2021 15:58:12

Any clear acrylic varnish will do, failing that some diluted PVA around the edge??

Ashley

10/02/2021 08:57:01

Removing the ballast will be the next job, when it’s warmer. It appears to be a very simple job, just cutting out and redirecting the wires, although getting an non American you tube video is tricky!

Ashley

Thread: propshaft?
10/02/2021 08:45:24

It makes a difference on depending on the motor spec.

Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 10/02/2021 08:47:00

Thread: Flags
10/02/2021 08:35:10

Long time since I have bought flags, but the last ones were small and were treated to ezekote if I remember correctly.

As the flags do not “flutter” in the wind, being too stiff for the size, (unless they are really big) a coating of something like this should not detract from the look, as long as it doesnt Make them shiny.

varnishing and getting them to curve or go wavy gets my vote. It’s a personal thing of course. The flags on my Valiant  were cut from a Union flag ribbon and EzeKoted to make them stiff and emulate the originals and are a pictorial vision of how NOT to do realistic flags!

Ashley

sut4.jpg

Edited By ashley needham on 10/02/2021 08:37:55

Edited By ashley needham on 10/02/2021 08:39:38

09/02/2021 16:46:32

A J Perkins 480 fits nicely in the same mount as a 400, it’s just a bit longer. It has a bit more poke in it.

1400Kv and 30A brushless motor/esc combinations are for nothing on e-bay, about £12 from a uk supplier, or dropping to £8.50 for 3 or more. Ok, forwards only, but a huge upgrade from a 400, and on a7.2 stick and 35mm prop, surprisingly frugal with the amps.

A 1000kv/30A setup has just been tried here and even with an x50 prop on it only takes12A. I think 8-ish A woulD be more likely on an s35 or s40.

Ashley

08/02/2021 14:27:28

Nigel. Those colours look about right to me, as does the crazing but I am not an old boat expert.

The way to check is to see if you can spot any other colours lurking underneath the crazed stuff.

Yes, they go for quite a bit.

Ashley

08/02/2021 14:14:13

I have been using aircraft slinky control lines for this sort of thing.

Although the inner is flexible, it is supported throughout its length by the outer sheath and the whole lot will curve sinuously around obstacles.

Supporting a bent metal rod can help as well of course.

Ashley

08/02/2021 14:07:29

I am afraid that with 7 battens in all to replace it was just a bit too pricy to do them all, hence the two battens and five tubes. I will put the two led tubes in the garage later.

Screwfix budget 5’ twin 45w 4000lm ones, £35. Come with a 4 foot length of flex already connected which makes it easy to connect to existing wiring. Daylight...very bright.

To fit the led tubes, replace the starter with the supplied new one and insert. Very easy. Instant light.led tubes £13-15 roughly.

Ashley

08/02/2021 10:45:45

Hello Nigel and welcome to the forum.

Difficult decision. The brass parts could be dismantled, cleaned (perhaps but not polished) and made to work however it is unlikely the boat would survive any water contact given the age of the glue and paint.

Given it’s age and collectibility, a light clean is probably all you should do, realistically getting it working to be able to use again would ruin it’s intrinsic value.

However there are several schools of thought on this, and a full restoration to a seaworthy state would be nice....🤭

No doubt there will be strong views on this matter expressed here on the forum. As usual I would say that it is ultimately a personal decision only you can make and is also dependant on your desire to either keeping it or realising it’s value at auction or on EBay. 

Ashley

Edited By ashley needham on 08/02/2021 10:50:01

08/02/2021 10:35:18

Spent some dosh on new lights for the shed, namely 3 LED fluorescent tube replacements and also two LED light battens (complete) fittings. I am sure this will make a big difference in easy-visibility for not only making but photographing stuff.

the tube replacements are marginally brighter but the battens (daylight ones) are fantastic! One of the battens replaces the 1.6m tube above the bench and the other is an extra so that the work surface perched on the workmate wot I use to build stuff on is now lit either side eliminating shadows. Garage next. As usual with the gradual accumulation of fittings, I have 1.2, 1.5, 1.6 and 2m lengths. The replacement LED tubes will mean I have only 1.2 and 1.5m sizes now but of course in theory I should not need to worry about replacing them.

Snowing lightly here but likely take the rest of the day at this rate to settle to a decent Tup depth.

Giving up the shed for a bit as too cold. In the loft painting some Samurai figures instead.

Ashley

08/02/2021 10:19:54

Terry. It rather depends on the room you have available if that’s not an obvious thing to say.

if you have not yet fitted the motor mount and can shift it up a bit then no reason why you can’t use the shaft.

Battery choice depends on the size of boat and the motor rated voltage. I have had no probs running Speed 400s on a 6 cell Nimh.

Ashley

08/02/2021 08:43:54

The most useful thing we have on the pond is the wattmeter, which will also record highest values if set off in the boat so you can see what the currents and so on are like at top speed.

Telemetry would be nice, but if you struggle to see the difference in performance betweeen prop swaps and wotnot, then taking the setup with the lowest current gets my vote.

Likely the 1000kv/x50 combination won’t be fast per se, but the shove as registered by my hand was substantial. I sort of wish I had used this combination on the flying saucer.....I may have got the instant change of direction and spinning just right then.

Ashley

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor