By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for neil howard-pritchard

Here is a list of all the postings neil howard-pritchard has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: TYNE Class Lifeboat build
13/03/2021 21:21:46

onwards and upwards....

I have now decided not to waste valuable silicon rubber on making a mold for the small foot switch for the Mersey and Tyne capstains, and so just dtilled the fitting from underside, glued in a piece of 1.2mm brass wire and then impress the master into plasticine , I can then mould 5 at time instead of one with all the waste that goes with it.

Then it was a case for making the mold boxes for the bow and stern towing/mooring bollards, for Mersey and Tyne and the capstain for the Mersey.

As usual i used my box of Lego for the boxes, and put the base of each item hard up to the wall of the box. with the cross bars lying horizontally to the level of plasticine, thus allowing the mould when split to show the bar easily extractable i encased all 3 masters up to half way around the full perimeter of each master.

i made track marks with a pencil lead in the plasticine to make life easy to trace and cut out for any trapped air as the resin is poured in, and undentations in the mould for corresponding locating pegs once the second half is cast.............

and got down to casting them......however not before putting some risers on the underside of the mold base to raise one side.

the mold will be much thicker at the top of the mold because of the base, and so not to waste rubber where it is not needed, i canted the molds raised so that the rubber running paralel to earth will cover both ends with equal amounts.

BROUGHT them in from the garage now to hasten the curing and setting time, and just maybe i'll get the second halves moulded tonight ready for casting some tomorrow............dying to try out my new type of resin tomorrow morning.

img_8136.jpg

img_8142.jpg

img_8135.jpg

img_8134.jpg

img_8138.jpg

img_8139.jpg

img_8140.jpg

Thread: Dave Milbourn Funeral Arrangements
13/03/2021 21:11:56

thank you Colin.

Thread: Dave Milbourn RIP
12/03/2021 01:34:22
Posted by Ian Hull 1 on 10/03/2021 12:08:07:

I first met Dave in the 70s when he moved south to join Model Avionics as a designer, his first project was to produce a 46in Fairey Huntsman 31 followed by a smaller version at 34ins I think that's where his interest in the Fairey Marine range of boats started. I can't remember how long he was with us but I know he returned to Nottingham to join HM Revenue, but in his spare time he still carried on doing design work for President Kits which was a spin off from Model Avionics.

Probably little known to a lot of modeler's Dave worked with John Rudd MD of President to help produce a big range of unique slot together Model Aircraft Kits the most famous of which was the foam winged Hi-Boy Trainer that sold in it's thousand's around the world.

I started a modeling company using the established name of Slec in 2000 and would catch up with Dave occasionally to talk about different projects I was working on, and he in turn told me what I should be doing (he was good like that). After seeing a Model Boat plan editorial written by Dave I asked him to design some kits for me, and over the next few years three different Fairey Marine kits where released.

Having now exhausted the Fairey range I managed to persuaded him to finish a Vosper KD Perkasa that I had started although he wasn't keen he started it but moaned at me every time we spoke how he hated doing it, but he still supplied a great set of CAD drawings with instructions and a beautifully finished model which was Dave's trade mark. I picked the finished Perkasa and paperwork up from Dave & Liz's home last November and that was the last time I saw him.

The modeling world has lost a good friend and great designer. I'm glad I met him all those years ago

Rest in Peace mate.

what a beautiful obituary Ian Hull. sadly i only wish i had known him anywhere near as long as yourself.........still cannot believe he has gone..............but never forgotten. a lovely guy to have known. bless him.

12/03/2021 00:37:58

bit of fiddling with an old radar tonight, forget what it was off..........possibly the old Clyde that I did, many moons ago, but it's the length and size now for the Mersey.

the radar box is ready, and i bought a mini motor for it, and my Tyne..................but at the moment cannot find them.

i shall put the radar onto the boat as a last item, giving me time to find it, once the model has been "finished" and stored indoors, giving me space to look for the motors once all the tyne fittings are laid out.

i am loathed to buy two more, as even though inexpensive i'll probably never need two more mini motors once they are found......so will hang on.

the radar unit and scanner are shown on the Tyne's mast.

img_8124.jpg

img_8125.jpg

img_8126.jpg

img_8123.jpg

11/03/2021 20:01:06

i did some moulding and casting over the last couple of days, a] to try out a new supplyers tyope of RTV rubber and b] to use up at the end of its decent shelf life some resin that i needed to cast.............

and so i made moulds for parts for both the Mersey and tyne lifeboats that i am building and also for the Tyne lifeboats air bags [the larger rectangular castings]

people keep asking me if they can buy them off me, so am preparing some sets for the Tyne whilst doing some for the mersey,

img_1054.jpg

img_1055.jpg

img_8112.jpg

img_8113.jpg

img_8114.jpg

img_8120.jpg

img_8121.jpg

Thread: 2021 Builds during lockdowns
10/03/2021 22:47:31
Posted by Richard Simpson on 10/03/2021 10:20:54:

Sorry to blaspheme on your own thread but orange lifeboats do absolutely nothing for me.

The one with sails however, that is an entirely different story. Beautiful model and so much more character about it.

the Shannon pair i built together, Richard, one for a friend who doesnt build but shows to raise money for the RNLI, and mine was a present from a friend in canada who bought it for me as a way of helping him through depression............the two on the bench........now the one astern of the other is a restoration which turned into a rebuild, again for my friend who shows but doesnt buil;d..........and the one in front.....the Tyne is a lifeboat i served on for a very short period of time asa trainee in the mid 1980s before my new wife decided after only 7 months of married "bliss" we were moving out of fleetwood to be neared to her mother but i am enjoying that one where as the orange other boats i found a way of keeping busy...........the rib i enjoyed as i could work on it on a board on a chair whilst watching TV................AND THE BEAUTIFUL motor sailor, is my kind of build........using old techniques and lovely timbers that bring it to life................and my next one is my 1950's CLASSIC Liverpool lifeboat with all wood interiors, before a 61' classic 1924 61' Barnett class lifeboat...........so thats my building calender.............no more orange ones, lol.

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 10/03/2021 22:51:15

Edited By Colin Bishop on 04/04/2021 10:06:40

Thread: Fisher 34 motorsailer
09/03/2021 22:50:01

beautiful model. missed this one.

Thread: 2021 Builds during lockdowns
09/03/2021 20:42:14

during my lockdown since february 2019, as that is when i started staying home, i have finished two Shannon lifeboats, built from scratch one 1928 motor sailor lifeboat, started two "orange" lifeboats, a Tyne and a Mersey class, and restored from a wreck, an atlantic 21 rib inshore lifeboat.

13.jpg

img_7935.jpg

img_8084.jpg

img_8111.jpg

Edited By Colin Bishop on 04/04/2021 10:03:48

08/03/2021 23:58:26

been sorting the fittings today...cabin in one box, the deck fittings stuck to a spray board with masting tape.

and then sprayed with filler primer.

then tomorrow those fittings will be sorted into those needing spraying chrome, grey and black, before sticking them to the deck.

then, given the choice of his own cabin spots or some newer ones with supports,

Mick French

chose his existing spots, and i just made som plasticard mounts to hide the soldered shrink wrapped wiring.

img_8101.jpg

img_8105.jpg

img_8103 (1).jpg

img_8106.jpg

07/03/2021 22:42:38

now that the bases of all the deck fairleads have been made from plasticard, they can be mounted on some masking tape sticky side up and sprayed with primer and then grw tomorrow.........

bit fed up playing with the cabin at the moment so am going to do the deck of the Mersey over the next few days and finish the cabin towards the end of the week.

got loads of bits to go on the deck so may as well get them all sprayed up as one job lot and glued on, and once the cabin has been finished..........there's just the stanchions and toe boards to paint and fit and a bit of red cord that Mick French is supposed to be sending me and its done and ready to sink......................errr i mean sail at Fleetwood for a trial lol.

img_8098.jpg

img_8099.jpg

Thread: Huntress 23 Long Cabin Version
07/03/2021 01:08:07

it will be a lovely fitting tribute, moustache and all, to a very lovely man, Chris.

i dont think he'll haunt you for doing so.

07/03/2021 01:00:15

thumbs up

06/03/2021 12:28:55

finally finished the "flying bridge" part of the cabin, with the addition of the crew safety rail, the ships wheel and the mast.

the areals will be painted later and be able to be removed for transport.

and the bow loud hailer attached to the "utility" frame. the rest i shall do on the cabin, probably tomorrow.

img_8067.jpg

img_8074.jpg

img_8075.jpg

img_8076.jpg

img_8077.jpg

05/03/2021 21:30:50

if any of you had never met Dave, or didn't know him.........here he was, on the right, in happy times. long may his memory live on.

action 001 (medium) [header].jpg

05/03/2021 15:17:47

I loved Dave like a brother, and we had many traits in common and would laugh at them together.

I will miss you terribly, especially the abuse you gave me many times Dave, for being so thick and stupid regarding electronics, and also the times when you offered me kindly words of wisdom when life wasn't always running so smoothly.

God bless you mate and RIP.

05/03/2021 00:47:57

Hand rails both on the flying bridge and the cabin top now added.

img_8061.jpg

img_8062.jpg

img_8063.jpg

img_8064.jpg

04/03/2021 20:34:09

Well, the mast bottom bracket has been screwed permenantly in place, the deck has been done, and so I slotted the mast into its retaining holes,

and i'm quite pleased with the outcome, but it is so tight in the sockets, I WOULD NOT suggest by any way that it is a removeable mast.....think the layers of paint have added to its tightness,,,,,,,,,,,so let it be, in the immortal words of John Lennon.

and the crew eager to get back on board after its long refit.

img_8053.jpg

img_8054.jpg

img_8056.jpg

img_8058.jpg

04/03/2021 15:48:23

The flying bridge deck has now been assessed after gluing the lower fixing bracket for the mast in place.

I am leaving the glue [cyano] to set rock hard for the next hour and then going to drill it and screw into a fixed and permenant possition [knowing what a clumsy sod its owner is] so that it will withstand knocks and bumps

Then I will glue the chequer plate and the access hatch in place using evostik contact as stated last night.

for anyones information i bought the chequer plate from here some years ago. **LINK**

img_8046.jpg

img_8047.jpg

img_8048.jpg

img_8049.jpg

04/03/2021 15:45:50
Posted by Tim Rowe on 04/03/2021 15:14:40:

Lovely work Neil.

Just a quick question. Are the RNLI really that anal that they colour code the engine controls.

Tim R

they have been known to do, lol.

just my choince to enhance it more, lol.

but dont forget, these are old boats in comparrison the modern shannons, and coxs'ns will  have added their own little touches over the years.

i dont think any Shannon has suffered that ignominy as yet. lol. 

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 04/03/2021 15:51:58

04/03/2021 11:02:31
Posted by gecon on 04/03/2021 06:25:24:

Most impressive they way you make all the details yourself Neil. Though you haven't much choice I suppose. Don't recon the 'right' instrument panels, hatches and fittings are available commercially anyway.

George

they were on the model when it arrived for restoration George, but havent a clue where they came from......i just recast them in plasticine moulds and adjusted them accordingly.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor