By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for neil howard-pritchard

Here is a list of all the postings neil howard-pritchard has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Pocaltair
09/06/2008 20:22:00
Does it really matter??? what matters is that the owner is probably enjoying sailing it............and that's the main point, NOT what flag it flies at it's poop rail.really.
Thread: MK2G2127 (Large).JPG
08/06/2008 15:49:00
It does indeed, Brian.very envious.
Thread: RMS Titanic & SS Moygannon
05/06/2008 19:06:00

I'll swap you the moygannon for the trent?

Oh well I can dream.cheers anyway, Paul.If I don't sell I'll just have to wait for my speedline Tamar.they'll probably be out of date by the time that comes around.

tamars i mean, not adrians kit.

cheers,neil.

04/06/2008 09:48:00

For sale due to a) never going to get round to building as they are too big and b) I would like to buy the new Speedline Tamar class lifeboat and she who must be obeyed says I can't have another project till I sell some of those cluttering up her loft.So here goes.1) A very large 1:144 scale model semi kit of RMS Titanic.this is unstarted and is the kit supplied by the American conglomerate of model ship builders which contains the grp hull at over 70" length with resin funnels, boats vents and ancilliaries, pluss all the brass etching fittings for other parts.Two cd roms of her build( I presume as I have never watched them) and the complete set of the Robert Hann drawings, supposedly the finest in the world.To help I will throw in the book on modelling the Titanic which I paid £25.00 for.This kit is the ultimate Titanic model and cost me over £1200.00p to import, inc. all customs and Vat costs, and I would like £750 ovno for it.see the pics of her below sat on a king size bed for the size. please excuse my ironing pile........seems to grow on medaily. The second model for sale is the Fleetscale models semi kit of the steam collier SS Moygannon and measures in at 82" long, which is so large you could use it as a canoe.It comes again with grp hull and superstructure, resin quaycraft ships boats, resin winches/windlass and all other resin fittings, plus some white metal ones sucu as davits, ships wheel and brass binnacle, telegraph and ships bell, plus a massive 4 blade propellor, plus shaft.it has a carbon fibre funnel with brass piping and is crying out for a large steam plant.I saw one of these built at the last Blackpool show and it was stunning.It cost me with the extras over £600.00p and I would be willing to sell for £450.00 ovno, but this one is so large I would have to say pick up from the Blackpool area only.

The postage on Titanic would be about £25.00p, but if someone wanted both boats I would axcept a sensible offer for both and would consider delivery to mainland britain based on a petrol charge of 40mpg both ways.go on you know you want them. Buy it now and you could have Titanic ready for her 100 aniversary.For full pictures of both models please see my gallery. thanks.neil.

Thread: IMG_0030 (2).JPG
02/06/2008 21:31:00
cheers mike, nice of you to say so. neil.
Thread: model lifeboat
02/06/2008 21:19:00
he's a guy called derek bradley lives near Kings Lynn and his phone no. is 01553 829164.cheers,neil.
02/06/2008 17:39:00
Mike, have you seen the advert in the model boats mailbox this month. theres a chappie offering a dvd with 50 photos of Wells mersey lifeboat, for sale.neil.
Thread: IMG_0030 (2).JPG
02/06/2008 17:36:00

Many thanks for that, Mike,

yes, they are built from scratch, to plans given me by the company who manufacture the full size boats,Mike. I built them( well one of them, the yellow one) for the company who builds the real Interceptor boat, called Safehaven Marine.( if you google them) in Cobh, Ireland.the other one( the orange boat) I built for myself and  it was fully radio controlled with bow thruster and twin torpedo 850's running on 12 V.when he saw mine he wanted that  one as well so I left both boats in southern Ireland with him.One has now found its way to the offices of the Cork Harbour Pilot Board, which it represents.

They were lovely boats to buil;d and had a grp hull and superstructure, and all fittings cast in white metal. the rear structure is a mix of white metal and plastics all sprayed up with a chrome paint.

Sadly, yet again I now have sod all to sail this summer.ceste la vie.

Thread: Decaperm 12v Motor
26/05/2008 10:31:00
I ran a 42" fast pilot boat(12"beam ) with 4 blade 50mm brass props on 2 x 850's not so long ago on 12 volt and although the motors got "warm" I didn't feel the need for cooling coils, but each to his /her choice I suppose.
Thread: Fishing nets at 1/24th
24/05/2008 20:15:00
heard nothing more about it.Mick.I think they have their hands full with the (literally) thousands of fleetwood residents that are complaining on a daily basis about the absolutely foul oderous smells that waft over fleetwood all the time from United Utilities ess aight one tee farm that polutes the atmosphere on a grand scale!!
24/05/2008 12:39:00

Hi Mick,

there is a company with a shop in Fleetwood Called Fleetwood Trawler Supply who trade in the shop as "The Yacht Shop", 1 Station Road Fleetwood, FY7 6NW, Tel: 01253 879238 and if you search on the net for www.ybw.com they sell proper Shrimp fishing net.

It has a mesh of about 3/16 to a 1/4 inch guage and is tar impregnated for long lasting, and is properly tied from hemp.( not moulded plastic)

It is so fine because of the nature that it is used, but nowadays with little shrimping going on in the old traditional way in Morecambe Bay they sell it in a packet with old shells and sometimes a plastic crab or Star fish for ornamentation.

But it is the real macoy and I use it on my model trawlers at 1:32 scale.Even smells right being tar impregnated.

The last time I bought a bag of it ( about 2 metres square) it was £3.75 a bag.

Hope this helps, neil.

Forgot to add, it comes in a deep brown colour similar to what "old" fishing nets came in, not the more modern synthetic greens and oranges.

Thread: Unidentified hull
23/05/2008 12:20:00

bit of a hybrid really, of some artistic liscence.

What it isn't is an Arun, either the production lifeboat, or the prototype 52-01.

The prototype 01 had a different shaped hull and stern, and the production boat had side wells abeam for casualty removal from the sea.

I thought it could be the Lauchlin designed Brede class but has a totally wrong superstructure for that boat and the hull doesn't look right, and although the superstructure is a little like the cancelled FCB2 the hull is somewhat wrong for that( I think). sorry to be doom and gloom but I don't think it's a lifeboat model at all.

22/05/2008 14:11:00
not a lot to see from that angle, any more pics from profile/
Thread: Certification of steam boiler?
14/05/2008 09:07:00

no, peter.

I bought this one about 2/3 years ago complete with an Imara tug that had had a lot of beautiful work done on her already for the staggering price of (wait for it) £500 in total.NOW THAT WAS A BARGAIN.!!

the gas tank on the one I bought was just the normal cylindrical flat bottomed cannister that fits into a cradle inside the hull.

What i got for my money has to be seen to be beleived.

the club locally to me isn't the greatest in coming forward with help I'm sorry to say?

12/05/2008 18:24:00

I bought a Cheddar Maxi steam plant with two twin cylinder puffin engines of a gentleman some time ago which are planned to go into an Imara Tug eventually.

I bought them as second hand although they were brand new and never even had compressed air put through them.

I have three questions if anyone could answer, please.

1) although the plant came with a boiler certificate when new in the late 1990's it has obviously expired. Do I need a boiler certificate every year for such a plant.

2) does anyone know of a tester up here near Blackpool/Fleetwood who would be able to test and certificate this boiler, and does one need to be a member of a club to have a cert issued.

3) I believe ther is an "owners club" for cheddar steam plant owners, does any member know where they hale from.

Many thanks for any info on these questions.

Neil.

Thread: Steam plant
01/05/2008 21:24:00

there is a guy who regularly sells on ebay Toys and Games section, boats and Hovercraft,called Boatmanwales whom was selling a little while ago dummy steam engines made from wood, brassand plasticard which looked very realistic.

Have a look on there for his name and contact him. they sold for peanuts (20-30 quid) and were really nice looking.neil.

Thread: how about this for something different
27/04/2008 19:26:00
I'd like to see the size of carrier that came from,lol./
Thread: Reducing size of pics to go onto gallery
21/04/2008 22:49:00

thanks bargemaster.I shall give that a go,neil.

can't guarantee anything though,as i am a complete muppett?will shout if I get into difficulties.

Thread: Ship's plans for sale.
19/04/2008 17:57:00

clearing out my workshop after finishing a build, I have come across the following sets, most  including lines, of builders plans of ships.I will sell each set for £20.00 including p& P.

These are builders plans and NOT modellers plans. no modelling details are shown at all.

Those plans without lines are marked with ***.

Any one interested please pm me.neil.

1) Vic Smeed's "Standard Steam Trawlers" plus St. Navena

2) Steam Trawler Red Falcon, ex Davy, ex Cape Barfluer, Cook, Welton and Gemmell, 1936

3) Steam Trawler Pentland Firth, CWG, 1934.

4) steam trawler Lady Shirley.1936?

5) Steam Trawler Red Hackle, took part in the 1950's spithead review.***     SOLD

6) Modern Shetland Motor Purse seine Fishing vessel MV ALTAIRE ( 1990's vintage before lengthening)

7) steam trawler deck fittings, gallows, chain stoppers,  messanger fairleads, etc.***    SOLD

8) Caledonean Mc Braine car/passenger ferry Jupiter/Juno ***

Anyone interested, then please pm me, cheers,neil.

Thread: Hull-primer
02/04/2008 12:19:00

what ever you do, don't try and thin it by using polyester GRP Resin.

they both have different catylist formulea and which ever hardener you use, one part of the mix won't set/harden.

having said that if you want a runny mix, but thicker than normal grp resin, you can add talcum pwder to grp polyester resin in quantities as to the constituancy that you require and then add the ketone catylist that you use with grp resin.just takes a longer time to set than the p38.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor