By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for neil howard-pritchard

Here is a list of all the postings neil howard-pritchard has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: TYNE Class Lifeboat build
28/03/2021 22:49:41

this is going to please my friend Mick French.......who's model this is.

i've started to fit the deck fittings [ made months ago] using 2 part epoxy glue, setting time of 30 minutes to get a better adhesion rate

Done the starboard side and bow deck tonight,and now going to have a couple of beers, whilst watching the goggle box, and will do the port side tomorrow morning along with the aft deck fittings.

img_8324.jpg

img_8323.jpg

img_8322.jpg

img_8321.jpg

Thread: Pilot Boat Trials
27/03/2021 21:39:01

i met Frank Kowalski and his mum, and some of the work team in his flegeling company in 2008 when i took over to him two scale models of his then first pilot boat the Intercepter 42' pilot boat that he had commissioned me to build to show. this model i produced as a semi kit, which i gave to Dave Metcalf, but he never got round to produce it, and passed it on in a deal for some equipment to Models by Design.

IMG_0001 (2).JPG

IMG_0032 (2).JPG

IMG_0008 (2).JPG

IMG_0028 (2).JPG

IMG_0030 (2).JPG

IMG_0034 (3).JPG

Frank wanted one in each colour to see which he liked for the real boat more

i had already built Frank Kowalski, to his requirements, a "basic" but sealed self righting model of the boat to sho the RNLI as they wanted a replacement for the Mersey class lifeboat and were seriously looking at his Intercepter as such...

1:12 scale Interceptor model tested for selfrighting - YouTube

since those early days he has produced some incredible boats, that can withstand the worst that weather can throw at those ships, and my visit all those years ago was just amazing, and build quality of his boats was fantastic.

i have followed his progress avidly, and his boats just get better and better.

Thread: Propellors
26/03/2021 20:42:05

thanks guys..........that info is just what i wanted for powering my Tyne lifeboat when i need to.........

and i didn't even need to ask. thank you all.

Thread: Free to good home - Model Thames Sailing Barge
25/03/2021 20:05:21

hello Anne...........i dont want it myself, but if you know anyone who sails regularly on the Stena line ships from Belfast to either Heysham or Liverpool and could bring it over, i would pick it up from either of those two ports for the cost of fuel from fleetwood and then store it until someone wants it...........if that is any good to anyone.

Thread: What are your go too tools
25/03/2021 17:12:54

i'm in no way bragging or being arrogant, but over the past 60 years i have probably amassed vertually every tool that i could possibly need to construct my models, and each one is my favourite, when i need to use it.

i started off at 8 years of age when my grand dad [a master cabinet and pattern maker] gave me my first bevel edged chissel and taught me how to cut shape and carve with it.

sinse then, i have saved pocket money to buy saws, chissels, and moving on to all sorts of planes, power tools and finally lathe, band saw and even my own centrifugal casting machine, which i used to make moulds for my first designed kit, the Ann Letitia Russel, which is now produced by Metcalf Models and has been the last 25 years.

there is not a tool in my workshop that is a waste of space, and at some time in a build is used for a purpose..........

so in answer to the original question.........they are ALL my favourite, at the time when i need to use them.

25/03/2021 15:53:10

some you win, some you lose, and this one i lost!

the molds came out, so i thought well,and i removed the masters that i had made.

and so i cut the tracks to pour the resin in, made two ply backing boards and inserted the wire for the aerials......and then i cast them!

it wasn't so much a disaster, as more a waste of silicon rubber, casting resin and time.

some of the items only cast half an object, and it took two casts to get one set plus a few spares out of the moulds.

also it was a pain to keep the wires from falling out of the bottom of the mould.

on the first casting i held them into the mould with masking tape and plasticine. the second mould i "stuck" the wires in place using vaciline, and although that worked better, the overall effort was not worth the expenditure of resin, for what i could sell them for.

in fact it fook me at least 2 hours to clean them up ready for painting............and i made the masters in less time......

so sadly, this set of fittings is a dead duck in the water, and i'll shred the rubber to pad out some more moulds in the future.
the last photo is of the waste in a container from just 2 castings..........

i know when i'm beaten with a mould lol.

img_8286.jpgimg_8288.jpg

img_8293.jpg

img_8294.jpg

img_8295.jpg

img_8302.jpg

23/03/2021 23:59:29

second half laid up and now curing on the nice hot radiaimg_8278.jpgtor.

23/03/2021 16:00:26

well!!!, last night,

Chris Beynon

asked me if i was going to produce the aerials for the Mersey and other lifeboats from the masters i had made and shown last night,

never let it be said that i am not up for a challenge, and so this morning i laid them up in plasticine ready for moulding.

you will see that the steel wire is still attached, and also protruding out of the mould box........do not dispair....

i'll be lucky if the resin once moulds have been made in two halves will ever run down the thin track of the steel............

however once a casting is ready for going in, i just put into the track that has been left in the rubber by the steel wire, a piece of stainless steel, very slightly smaller in diameter into that track so that it penetrates the base by aproximately 10 - 15mm and then cast away. the steel is then embedded into the newly cast resin, and stuck in place.........

well!!! thats the idea.........worked well once before, so dont see why it shouldnt this time.

then i just mixed the rubber and catylist, and poured into the moulding box, made from lego bricks.

img_8263.jpg

img_8264.jpg

img_8265.jpg

22/03/2021 22:22:47

the aray of cabin top areals have been fabricated, loosley on Chris Beynon's fabulous ones that he has produced and shown photos of on here earlier today.

the odd toadstool shaped one has been fabricated by using a piece of milliput white moulded around a piece of plastic tube glued tp a core of 1mm stainless steel rod.That one will then be sanded to shape once the milliput has cured.

they aren't anywhere near the sname standard as Chris's, but wont look too bad once painted.

img_8259.jpg

img_8260.jpg

img_8261.jpg

Thread: 1/32 Mountfleet Models Sir Lancelot
22/03/2021 01:01:25

ahh, the ubiquitous circle cutter............an invaluable tool for any modeller.that looks a nice sturdy one, George.........where did you buy that one from.............i'm due for a new one, as mine are getting old and flimsy.

Thread: 2021 Builds during lockdowns
22/03/2021 00:49:59
Posted by timg on 27/02/2021 21:10:12:

Hi All

Another one finally finished today , Model Slipway kit of a Fleet Tender 1/24th scale . I have had it for more years than I care to remember , she sails really well as good all year round model.

20210227_141804.jpgI will have to make a better stand..

Tim

Edited By timg on 27/02/2021 21:17:28

i've seen a few Mediators and Moderators named in the kits, but not a Watcher before. my old metal work teacher was an RNVR Lieutenant Commander during the 1970/80/90's and sailed on the Watcher and Moderater, and would invite myself and another model boat maker down into the "ward room".......a small spare space for a few noggins when ever he and his ships came into Fleetwood on a courtesy call.........we never seemed to be able to manage to leave the ship sober, lol.

21/03/2021 15:53:13

thank you Bob.........it came to me in an instant the other night to use the pins, as i was looking for something else........i tend not to throw anything away, and why my workshop looks like a junk yard......and the small wheels came to me many years ago when i was making a model warship..........co-axial cables are great for tiny wheels.....

img_8236.jpg

img_8239.jpg

img_8240.jpg

img_8241.jpg

and at the same time, i painted and glued the anchor to its locating deck brackets......they just have to be tied and secured now before gluing it to the deck!

img_8237.jpg

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 21/03/2021 17:07:06

21/03/2021 11:10:13

thank you Eddie........much appreciate your comments.

they truly spurr me on, to receive them. cheers,

21/03/2021 00:10:41

Needed to make two water valves for the fire fighting hoses fitted into recesses on the fore end of the cabin, port and starboard.

lateral thinking and the use of everyday items came into the mix, and along with some plastic tubing came into play.

take two "pin board" pins with ball ends, and snip the actual pims off .

the rest is just using differentt interfitting plastic tubing for the valve fittings, and bob's your uncle, fanny's your ant, as my old mum would say as she put a creation into the oven to bake.

the valve wheels for the two will be made from the centre of a TV areal co-axial cable sliced thinly and glued on to the brass pin.

img_8227.jpg

img_8226.jpg

img_8228.jpg

img_8229.jpg

img_8231.jpg

20/03/2021 21:02:15

thank you George, your comments are greatly appreciated.

however i cannot take any credit for the anchor chain. i bought that some years ago from Jotika Coldercraft by a meter length.....beautiful stuff it is too.

20/03/2021 17:19:12

The "Fishermans" pattern anchor, [and from asking friends about this type, it is the only anchor that the boat I am building carried at her point in life] has now been finished as per deck brackets and holding stock and so will go for painting as soon as there is a break in the tv prog I am watching.

Then it will be put asside whilst I assess if there is anything more to fabricate and paint before i put all the bits and pieces on to the boat.

And as I am still within my proposed deadline to finish it by the end of March I am quite happy with progress.

img_8222 (1).jpg

img_8223.jpg

img_8224.jpg

img_8225.jpg

20/03/2021 17:14:38
Posted by gecon on 20/03/2021 13:37:41:

Thanks Neil, might have to resort to this if I can't sort the problem.

Have just done a new test on my Humbrol silver. Thinned it out about 5% and painted by brush straight onto a scrap of brass tube. Touch test tomorrow for fingerprints!

George

i always, even with a humbrol enamel, spray an undercoat or filler primer first to give a key to the top coat, whether acrylic, cellulose or enamel........but never put an enamel on first, and then an acrylic or cellulose on top of your enamel...........you will just get orange peel reaction and the paint will crinkle and flake off.

20/03/2021 11:26:06

hi george........Halfords rattle cans, either alluminium, chrome, silver or in the brass coloured ones......Ford Gold.

20/03/2021 00:39:33

As i couldn't see a "fishermans" pattern type anchor on the plans i have for the mersey, i have been wondering about fitting one, and where/how.

But this morning

Martin Kinghoward

solved my dilemma by posting photos of a Mersey with one on the starboard bow.

just what i needed.............Martin, you must be a mind reader, but it has helped greatly.

here is my interpretation of the deck brackets that hold the anchor in place. i have the upright bracket and post in my box of tricks and this will be added to the fixture once anchor and brackets are painted and also fitted.

img_8214.jpg

img_8216.jpg

img_8217.jpg

Thread: 1/32 Mountfleet Models Sir Lancelot
19/03/2021 15:31:32

very nice work indeed.....they sail well too, if you get the weight deep down and plenty of ballast to counterweight the top hamper of the white metal fittings.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Sarik
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor