By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for neil howard-pritchard

Here is a list of all the postings neil howard-pritchard has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: TYNE Class Lifeboat build
28/08/2020 23:55:18
plasticard out tonight......
made the backing plates for the life ring brackets which attach to the stanchions.
you might think I have gone mad making 3 pairs...……..NO lifeboat of modern fast era carried 6 lifebelts as far as I know, on deck....
NO!!!
Seeing as certain modellers have worked a fast one on me and I am now building [ or should I say renovating] a certain members Mersey class lifeboat, and another person of repute[or should that be ill-repute] has asked me to fabricate the rear end of his new cabin as well, I thought I would whilst making one set, make all three sets.
took a rough tracing from the plans I had and then offered it up to a picture of the plate from a Tyne that I enlarged on screen.
marked the positions of the holes, and tomorrow I will find some tubing to use as the brackets which hold the life ring to the plate.
img_8118.jpg
img_6234.jpg
img_6235.jpg
img_6236.jpg
img_6238.jpg
26/08/2020 18:45:19

cant help the way the hull looks Bob...……..they were built to withstand hurricane force weather, and did many times in their lives.

25/08/2020 21:35:12

that didn't take long...…...already had the brass rod annealed and ready to go.

img_6231.jpg

img_6232.jpg

25/08/2020 20:53:08

small detailing is what goes to make a big impact.

the toe rails have had their "feet" fitted. I used small grommits that come with servos in accessory packs...………..never use them on servos so collect and use for just such events.

then o marked and drilled the deck to take them port and starboard. they are NOT equidistant as they follow the positions of the stanchions.

however, just looking at the pictures of the real boats...…………..I have missed two across the stern of the boat...…...so will rectify that in the next hour.

img_6226.jpg

img_6227.jpg

img_6228.jpg

img_6230.jpg

25/08/2020 16:34:48

cheers George.

I was given a part built model of the 1;15 scale Colin Archer by the widow of a friend, but sadly although I was always interested in the model, it had been started, and there were more repairs to do than building.

my friend had built the parts whilst in the mid stages of dementia.

so I sold it at the Blackpool show and all proceeds went to the RNLI in his name.

you should get it built...….apparently they sail well.

neil.

25/08/2020 01:38:05
I started off the day well with the first half of some moulds for small fittings for the Tyne and a few generic ones for the Mersey to cast. by lunchtime I was ready to mould the second half of them.
I couldn't find the Vaseline for the release agent and so tried "painting" on to the half of rubber already moulded some ordinary vegetable oil used for frying...…...what an absolute wizard of a trick...…….worked even better than Vaseline.
however this is where the euphoria was burst and the bubble blown..... I ran out of silicone rubber halfway through the pour, and so my last mould was only half finished,
ok so I thought, I'll order some from my usual supplier on next day delivery...……… "sorry, but the shop is closed for holidays" came the answer...….sod me!
i hope that they are just on holiday and not ceased trading...…...as that mould contains all my stations for moulding.
i had to contend myself with making the toe guard looped rails on the gunwale edges of the deck...……..not the best of days, i'm afraid.
img_6225.jpg
23/08/2020 16:42:25
Posted by Bob Abell on 23/08/2020 13:33:22:

Nice video, Neil

What happens to the obsolete lifeboats?

It seems a shame to scrap them

Bob

the lifeboats are never scrapped Bob...…...but sold out of service to other lifesaving associations, pilot boats, company enterprises, forein countries as SAR boats ..CHINA and ICELAND and AUSTRALIA being countries buying them......NEDLOYD ship these lifeboats to other countries using them for SAR free of charge as deck cargo on their container ships. our own Tyne was bought by a group up in malaig and Oban, Scotland and is part charter and part "Ambulance" launch for medivac purposes in the outer Hebridean islands when the weather is too rough for helicopter evacuation. one Tyne has been bought by the Royal navy and is down in Portsmouth or Plymouth [ cant remember which] and others just sold for private ownership....the one at Galgate near Lancaster is privately owned, and a Tyne will cost you around 80 - 120000 quid.....but incredibly well looked after in the RNLI

THE NEXT GROUP to be sold off will be the smaller Mersey class lifeboat, as these are now also being retired from fleet, and quickly.

img_8190.jpg

23/08/2020 12:27:08
Posted by Bob Abell on 23/08/2020 08:08:22:

Thank you, Neil, for the Feast of Lifeboats display

You could be called a Lifeboat Junkie?

I was invited to have a trip on the Holyhead Lifeboat, many years ago, but had to decline due to my self survival instinct. Can`t remember the reason for the offer

Your latest model looks quite dated and looks like one step up from the boats with a wooden shed at each end?

Would that be a sensible assessment?

I like the quality of the build, very business like

Bob ........Out on a shout

you should have gone on that trip Bob, there is nothing more exhilarating than standing on the deck of a lifeboat under full song, and you wouldn't get a safer boat to sail on. Nowadays, there are so many HSR reasons and forms to fill that one never gets a chance these days unless its a corporate day aimed at local businesses for donations to the local station.

in their day the TYNE was a very advanced boat, and other than the inflatable ribs was the fastest boat in the fleet at 18 -20 knots. The first called City of London 47-001, paid for by an appeal in London cost £420,000 and went on station at Selsey in 1982, but were light years ahead of the old double ended classic lifeboats of the earlier years.

they TYNES are all retired now and sold out of service having been superseded by such boats as the TRENT, SEVERN, TAMAR and the latest boat, the water jet drive SHANNON class lifeboat as seen in the photos above. these boats just mentioned ate all capable of doing 25 knots or a little more if pushed.

The Shannon costs £2.5 million to build, BUT  the best sounding lifeboat ever is without doubt, the TYNE class lifeboat with her twin V6 two stroke Detroit diesel engines, as used basically in the Sherman tank of WW2.

IF YOU have youtube, just listen to this, the final trip of the last RNLI TYNE LIFEBOAT leaving station last year.those engines are the sound of God waking the world up with a corus of heavenly music. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8phZqbnJFY

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 23/08/2020 12:32:38

23/08/2020 00:27:04

funnily enough I rejected someone tonight on one of those forums as admin

...3796 friends, 128 other forums, none of which were either that which I could read as was in Arabic, or none model boating jenre, and yet was a serial poster of adverts on other forums,

so was blocked from joining!.

22/08/2020 22:14:24

don't think he's on here Fred....he is on a couple of model lifeboat forums on Facebook......one is called RNLI RC LIFEBOATS and the other is model lifeboat enthusiasts.

but you'll have to request membership...….but the admin usually accept anyone unless they think or suspect the person is a scammer. usually that shows in the profile....dead give away is they have hundreds of "friends" and member of also hundreds of forums nothing to do with modelling or where they usually try selling products nothing to do with modelling at all.....can usually spot them a mile off

22/08/2020 19:01:15

he's a good friend of mine Fred...…….lives in deepest wales...…….but I don't hold that against him....

he's been a professional car body repairer and sprayer for many many years, and good at it too. he sprayed my Shannon for me 2 years ago. he does now and then take on spraying commissions so I believe and his work is top notch.

12.jpg

2.jpg

10.jpg

7.jpg

23.jpg

21.jpg

1.jpg

22/08/2020 18:55:16
Posted by Bob Abell on 22/08/2020 17:52:13:

Many thanks Neil

Sorry Neil, we need a one metre rule alongside, to get a feel for the model size?

Or.....Your good self?

Bob

its an inch short of four feet, Bob......47" long...……..quite a big brute.

22/08/2020 17:05:04

Here you go Bob!

img_6199.jpg

img_6200.jpg

img_6204.jpg

img_6210.jpg

img_6212.jpg

img_6213.jpg

img_6214.jpg

img_6215.jpg

img_6216.jpg

22/08/2020 15:31:04

after I've sanded it off bob, i'll take some later this afternoon.

21/08/2020 23:44:14
the roof panel has glued in place and set well,
so tonight I gave the joint between the two a copious filling of p40 filler to both fill the gap in the roof and also to level it all up. tomorrow I will get the sander out and run it over the top to level it all up.
img_6196.jpg
img_6197.jpg
20/08/2020 19:49:10

This evening I have just stippled in some J Cloth squares into the gaps between the cross beams to hold the cabin top in permanently .I used grp polyester resin to stipple in and cement the j cloth to the cabin top.

I mixed more than I needed of resin and catalyst, because I also needed to fill in the keel recess at the bow so that I could drill the two ruffle holes at the bow keelson, so that the hull, once holes were drilled, wouldn't leak.

finally I used a little of the surplus resin to paint the aft combing where, after sanding to fit the cabin top, the gelcoat was removed and had left bare chopped strand matting. I sealed the "open wounds" with resin.

i'm just now for the resin to set and cure before doing anything further on either the hull or the cabin.

img_6190.jpg

img_6191.jpg

img_6192.jpg

img_6194.jpg

20/08/2020 19:46:24

it had now come to the point wher almost all fittings had been attached to the main cabin, ready for spraying orange, and so

it had come the time to re-attach the section of the roof that I had cut out, in able to gain access to the interior whilst making the interior tray.

first I cut some cross beams from 2mm plasticard to support the roof and also glue to the sides just above the line of the window frames

the cross beams were drilled to enable a purchase between the plasticard and the grp cabin.

I first glued the beams to pre markerd positions within the cabin with 30m epoxy, and left for a couple of hours or so.

once set I used epoxy again and glued the plasticard beams to the cabin rims, held with spring clamps, and left to set and cure over night.

tomorrow I will glass and resin the insides with grp polyester resin and [probably] surface tissue to seal it all up, before filling from the outside with p40 filler.

img_6180.jpg

img_6185.jpg

img_6188.jpg

img_6189.jpg

20/08/2020 19:43:20

started putting the small detailing parts onto the main cabin and hull this evening.

cut out the apertures for the LED's behind the deck lights, the water outlets both port, starboard and aft, the hydraulic ram outlets and the surrounds to the recess for the water, diesel and air vents, and the guides to the safety rails which run along the fop corner of the cabin.

just off now to make the retaining bracket and stop for the boat hooks port and starboard.

img_6172.jpg

img_6174.jpg

img_6176.jpg

16/08/2020 22:29:15

so!!!, I made the grills for the covers to the fuel fillers and vents...……….but they are no good if I cant put anything behind them...…...and as they were, they were just going on a blank "wall",

so some surgery was needed to make that recess to put the vents and fillers in to.

there needed to be holes cut in the sides of he cabin, and cut outs in both the inner cabin tray and the combing which the cabin and interior fit into and on top.

finally there needed to be two "lockers" [for want of a better word] made from plasticard , the size of the grill frames that I made yesterday to fit into the holes to be cut out.

all things were reliant upon the size of the grill frames, and so these were marked out on the sides of the cabin and masked off. they were then drilled and reamed out, trimmed and filed up to shape and size and then used to make the lockers.

I was in fact surprised just how easy the process wentm and with a little trimming up afterwards of the combings around the hull access, the whole thing went well.

img_6160.jpg

img_6162.jpg

img_6164.jpg

img_6170.jpg

img_6171.jpg

16/08/2020 22:23:19

it now came to the detailing of the main cabin and the fixed parts that are to be painted with the cabin all the same colour.....Orange.
and the first parts were the main recessed locker covers for the fuel fillers and goose neck vents, which are set into the cabin both port and starboard.
I do like a bit of fiddling now and then,
and the covers to the filler caps and goose necks in the recesses of the main cabin couldn't have been more fiddley.
the only way I was going to tackle it was by using plasticard, and a delve into my large supply of plastic sprue in many thicknesses and widths.
and the build of both the frames and the grills began, and amazingly they came out right.

img_6151.jpg

img_6155.jpg

img_6157.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Sarik
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor