By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for neil howard-pritchard

Here is a list of all the postings neil howard-pritchard has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: TYNE Class Lifeboat build
05/03/2021 00:47:57

Hand rails both on the flying bridge and the cabin top now added.

img_8061.jpg

img_8062.jpg

img_8063.jpg

img_8064.jpg

04/03/2021 20:34:09

Well, the mast bottom bracket has been screwed permenantly in place, the deck has been done, and so I slotted the mast into its retaining holes,

and i'm quite pleased with the outcome, but it is so tight in the sockets, I WOULD NOT suggest by any way that it is a removeable mast.....think the layers of paint have added to its tightness,,,,,,,,,,,so let it be, in the immortal words of John Lennon.

and the crew eager to get back on board after its long refit.

img_8053.jpg

img_8054.jpg

img_8056.jpg

img_8058.jpg

04/03/2021 15:48:23

The flying bridge deck has now been assessed after gluing the lower fixing bracket for the mast in place.

I am leaving the glue [cyano] to set rock hard for the next hour and then going to drill it and screw into a fixed and permenant possition [knowing what a clumsy sod its owner is] so that it will withstand knocks and bumps

Then I will glue the chequer plate and the access hatch in place using evostik contact as stated last night.

for anyones information i bought the chequer plate from here some years ago. **LINK**

img_8046.jpg

img_8047.jpg

img_8048.jpg

img_8049.jpg

04/03/2021 15:45:50
Posted by Tim Rowe on 04/03/2021 15:14:40:

Lovely work Neil.

Just a quick question. Are the RNLI really that anal that they colour code the engine controls.

Tim R

they have been known to do, lol.

just my choince to enhance it more, lol.

but dont forget, these are old boats in comparrison the modern shannons, and coxs'ns will  have added their own little touches over the years.

i dont think any Shannon has suffered that ignominy as yet. lol. 

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 04/03/2021 15:51:58

04/03/2021 11:02:31
Posted by gecon on 04/03/2021 06:25:24:

Most impressive they way you make all the details yourself Neil. Though you haven't much choice I suppose. Don't recon the 'right' instrument panels, hatches and fittings are available commercially anyway.

George

they were on the model when it arrived for restoration George, but havent a clue where they came from......i just recast them in plasticine moulds and adjusted them accordingly.

04/03/2021 01:03:07

next job, tomorrow!

i cut the chequer plate to fit the deck of the flying bridge some months ago in 3 parts to fit around the access hatch in the deck, the protruding angles and the rear shape of the F/B and also the supporting brackets for the mast rear ladder section.

it also allows me to locate that bracket exactly for the mast uprights.

the plating will be painted alluminium, and then, after the mast bracket has been glued and screwed into permanent position, be glued into place using evostik contact adhesive, along with the hatch cover......

hopefully i'll get that done before lunch time.

img_8043.jpg

03/03/2021 23:26:00

Instruments now painted and fitted to the flying bridge.

img_8035.jpg

img_8036.jpg

img_8038.jpg

03/03/2021 15:28:11

these are just copies, of what came off Micks mersey and ammended a little yo look like the controls on the flying bridge.

i have to mend the throttle leavers which came apart when i pulled them all off, and then all will be painted up.

img_8029.jpg

img_8030.jpg

02/03/2021 22:41:17

Another small detail added, the covers to one of the side recesses [god knows what is behind them as I'm not ofe' with the Mersey, and half the time I'm working blind and on instinct, half the timeI'm just making it up, or making cock ups.

Then I consulted all the overhead views of a mersey that I cold find, as once had a look on board RNLB Her Majesty the Queen when based at Lytham St Annes station and I remembered the matt black anti glare paint behind the windscreen on the flying bridge.

There were a number of different versions, and so I decided the easiest of them to do, shown on two boats.

Sorry if they are wrong for your particular boat Mick French, but I presumed that you wouldn't have a shot of that part of the boat, and so painted it black over all.however, as there were at least 4 different versions from what I could see in photo form, I took the easiest, and painted by brushin Humbrol matt black.

img_8022.jpg

6aca7f3a-9b15-4142-a8d1-38c4fae60c4a_l.jpg

img_8023.jpg

img_8024.jpg

img_8026.jpg

01/03/2021 23:43:34

a little more detailing tonight, both fore and aft of the cabin.

img_8017.jpg

img_8016.jpg

img_8018.jpg

img_8019.jpg

Thread: Fairey Huntsman - with a difference.
01/03/2021 21:00:41

so you should be happy Joe............its stunning, and beautiful as well.enjoy sailing her whan you can.

Thread: MV Oldenburg 1/48th scale
01/03/2021 01:27:34

a work of art Ray...............i am with richard there on repitition.......i only needed 8 for my ferry but i bought them off ebay........saved me a whol;e load of greif, lol.

28/02/2021 22:02:32

I don't know what the RNLI or the builders of the Mersey call it, but I will call it the "Utility frame!", that contains the horn, loud hailer and anchor bracket for the forward safety line are all attached to this framework, has been fitted in place, along with the windscreen wipers and the screen washing tubes..........

things are taking shape on the cabin at last and rather than just being an inanimate object it is beginning to look purposefull and fun to look at.

tomorrow, the front hatches.

img_8010.jpg

img_8011.jpg

img_8012.jpg

img_8013.jpg

img_8014.jpg

img_8015.jpg

27/02/2021 21:11:44
Posted by Richard Simpson on 27/02/2021 20:45:46:

Then you’ll find the missing one !! angry

always the case Richard, lol...always the case, dont know

27/02/2021 19:52:31

thanks Richard, they fit in place well, but the windscreen power boxes seem to have quite a few blow holes in them from casting, now paint has been applied, so am going to fill them all and then spray again.

20210227_193624.jpg

27/02/2021 16:36:22

a bit more for you.

i asked a friend who is building a similar lifeboat to the mersey that i am concentrating on now about the windscreen washer jets, and he sent me a photo of them.

so this little job this afternoon, made od brass 1,2mm wire and silver soldered together is dedicated to him.

it is really nice when fellow modellers can help one another so quickly, and i dedicate this post to Chris Beynon

so here we have the windscreen washer water jet pipes that fit on to the front of the cabin under the wiper motors.

img_8004.jpg

img_8005.jpg

img_8008.jpg

img_8007.jpg

img_8009.jpg

Thread: Looking for past editions.
27/02/2021 13:24:42

are you both building the 1;20 sarik abs hulled model by Dave Metcalf, or the 1;12 scale grp cabin/superstructure from Mountfleet models.

just asking as i am doing a full build from scratch using the latter in the build blog section of my Tyne class lifeboat

HERE!.............you are quite welcome to copy and file any pictures you might find helpful.

TYNE Class Lifeboat build | Model Boats

26/02/2021 22:49:03

this evening i fabricated the 3 windscreen wiper ,otors, arms and blades for the Mersey.

i had 3 moulded which are to double up for the Tyne.

unfortunately the centre one is much too long for the Mersey, and so thought i would cast another shorter motor unit.........could i find the mould with 3 already cast, and only seen 2 weeks ago...........could i ****........

so i chopped the long one in half, reduced it in length to the same length as the other two, glued it back together, put a backing piece of plasticard onto the back of the motor box,to strengthen the joint and then attached the wiper and arm with cyano.

they will be painted and then attached to the cabin tomorrow.

img_7999.jpg

26/02/2021 16:25:16

air intake grill surrounds have now been painted and fitted in arounf the recess of the grills......

thats those "tarted" up a bit. lol.......slowly comming together.

img_7995.jpg

img_7996.jpg

26/02/2021 15:26:28

From this to that on a 50+ year old Myford Speed 10 lathe.........

so, i took an old moulding from one i cad cast before, and turned it up, and then sanded in the lathe befor adding base and triangular support brackets to the body from the base.

25 minutes tops, it has now just been sprayed with filler primer to find any iregularities that need filling...........

and a little secret i'll let out now,,,,,,

rather than use body filler which is actually harder than the resin i used to cast such figures, i user straight forward childrens plasticine to fill small blow holes and other marks.

believe it or not, it takes spray paint exeedingly well, doesnt flake off and remains in place for etyernity lol.........been using that little method for 20 years at least.........a very well known and well respected builder and international model engineering judge told me the short cut many years ago when we met again at Earls Court show one january, where he was again judging.

dont believe me...........have a go!

img_7982.jpg

img_7993.jpg

img_7984.jpg

img_7986.jpg

img_7989.jpg

img_7991.jpg

img_7994.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor