By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for neil howard-pritchard

Here is a list of all the postings neil howard-pritchard has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 1/48 Mountfleet Models Sir Lancelot
23/09/2020 01:04:42

i think you'll find that your armed trawler is 1;32 scale, not 1;48th.

but they make great sailing models,

I have built the St Nectan, much modified, and she sailed beautifully.

Thread: TYNE Class Lifeboat build
15/09/2020 18:31:01

model boats have been swapped ready for work done on a friends boat in return for mine being sprayed. I shall not get mine back now until November when my friend comes up to Blackpool for a mid week break.

however I will be doing some casting of fittings for them so will pop on from time to time, but will not be putting a progress report on of the model I am working on in reply to mine being painted...……..

see no point as they are different types of lifeboat, and I'll get confused, never mind anyone else. lol.

08/09/2020 16:14:58

That's when i get the painted boat back Bob, then I have to built all the bits on to it get the lights in, inner cabin built and then motors and all electronics inside, lol...….

i just have to be patient lol.

08/09/2020 15:51:25

WELL, the time is finally here,

my baby is ready, arrangements have been made, and I am meeting my mate Dave Stavros Jones on Sunday at New Brighton boating lake,

we will be exchanging a Mersey from Dave, for my Tyne model, so that I can do some work for him, and he is going to lavish my lifeboat with numerous coats of primer, rubbing down and 2 pack top coats of red, blue and orange!

and so the next time I see her will probably be in November.

looking forward to that day as she will look totally different to what she looks like now as I say goodbye.

img_6340.jpg

img_6344.jpg

img_6345.jpg

img_6349.jpg

img_6352.jpg

05/09/2020 20:33:36

as I am building a model of our own lifeboat at Fleetwood I want to try and get the model as close as can be to our old boat.

one of the little quirks is a cut out in the top of the superstructure on the port site...…..

I don't know what purpose it serves, as all I can see is a DF aerial set into it, and yet all other aerials on the boat are just set onto the roof of the cabin.

I have also noticed that this same cut out is on some of the class but not on others as far as I can see.

I cut out the top, filed it to shape including the curved corner on the rear straight, but 90 degree angle on the forward "wall"

img_6330.jpg

img_6331.jpg

img_6333.jpg

img_6334.jpg

05/09/2020 15:55:44

the main mast for the TYNE is now structurally complete with the brackets fitted to support the top ends to the hydraulic rams that raise and lower the mast.

however,. I will NOT be motorising it as a special effect....too much hassle for the small WOW!! effect that it might bring...……….lights will be good enough for my lack of electrical capacity, lol.

the mast can now be separated from the main cabin and painted and eventually wired up for the lighting.

the cabin and hull are ready for going to Dave Stavros Jones when he is available to meet, and I will get on with some casting of fittings for my boat's fittings.

img_6326.jpg

img_6327.jpg

img_6328.jpg

img_6329.jpg

Thread: FREE Bespoke Model of WWII HMS Diamond
05/09/2020 15:50:47

I am amazed that no one as yet has jumped at the chance...………..it is a lovely looking model, and well detailed.

Not my kind of model, as unfortunately where I sail on Fleetwood's salt water lake, which is as rough as the proverbial dogs bum it would be sunk in minutes...……….

but c'mon people, a wonderful offer and a chance to own a lovely model whilse making a decent contribution to the RNLI.

Thread: TYNE Class Lifeboat build
04/09/2020 21:09:18

just my computer screen Bob...……..nothing MI6 or anything like that lol.

03/09/2020 22:17:58

img_6299.jpg

img_6323.jpg

img_6324.jpg

03/09/2020 22:15:57

The TYNE folding mast has come on a bit since the last set of photos of the basic radar trap.

I'll just show the progress in photos except to say that the main mast was constructed using brass tod, plastic tubing preformed plaststruct square section moulding, and the pieste' résistance was an inspiration of Neil Huyton which was the cross bar for the DF arial.It was made from Neil's idea of a star servo arm. The holes I will fill with plasticine [ it paints very well and doesn't need sanding flat like filler.And the receiving aerials will be cut to length before gluing in place. The mast will, once I fit the brackets for the hydraulic rams, be completely folding.img_6281.jpg

img_6286.jpg

img_6292.jpg

02/09/2020 14:46:59
Posted by gecon on 02/09/2020 07:15:28:

Beautifull work Niel,

I thought I was 'scratch building' until I started following your thread/s. Soon realised I was only just 'scratching ' at the surface.

I'm a bit like Ashley, after about an hour of 'scratching' I wonder if I should try to find an easier way and scratch my head agian! Usually end up restarting what I first thought of.

Regards, George

thank you for your kind words, I had a good teacher 61 years ago and apart from an interest in classic cars and motorcycles, I have inly ever had this one hobby in all those years......other things just don't interest me,

and TBH in those 61 years I have spent a lifetime honing my skills and developing that level of patience to get it right in the end.

02/09/2020 00:02:46

radar platform, light platform and mast are on their way to being fabricated.....these will be finished tomorrow

img_6274.jpg

img_6275.jpg

img_6276.jpg

img_6277.jpg

img_6278.jpg

01/09/2020 17:20:17

the main mast including the "backbone" for the main mast have all been soldered together now.

on with the radar platform and the main mast light platform tonight.

img_6268.jpg

img_6269.jpg

img_6272.jpg

01/09/2020 12:01:47

ohhh yes, Ashley, I also use golf teas as air/fog horns...…...

problem is i'm not a golfer and so have to go hunting on the golf course after dark with a torch for them when needed, lol.....only way I can avoid getting hit by golf balls lol.

31/08/2020 21:22:36
today, I set too, cutting the tubing and solid pieces for the main mast on the tyne.two and a half hours cutting and filing to length and just 15 minutes to silver solder all parts together.I'll finish it tomorrow by fitting the brackets and lugs to take the rams for folding down, and then on to the radar and light platforms
img_6254.jpg
img_6255.jpg
img_6256.jpg
img_6257.jpg
img_6258.jpg

img_6261.jpgEdited By neil howard-pritchard on 31/08/2020 21:24:54

Edited By neil howard-pritchard on 31/08/2020 21:39:48

30/08/2020 15:07:43

the lengths one goes to for photos to build...…...and all things go tits up.

on Friday, I went to Glasson Dock to see if the Tyne lifeboat had gone in to the water yet...….errr NO!

Last night a picture appeared on Lifeboat Enthusiasts, showing that she had gone back into the basin either Friday afternoon or Saturday [ yesterday].I have asked permission of the poster if I can put it on here, and waiting for a reply.

so this morning to get some deck level and possibly even inside cabin photos of her.

pulled up at the spot where the photo of her was taken yesterday...…….the old girl had done a disappearing act,,,,,,,or were my eyes and brain deceiving me and I hadn't seen the photo last night. got around to the marina, parked up and started walking to the marina office when a guy said to me pointing to the Mersey emblem on my fleece...………"one like that went through the locks and out to sea about 90 minutes ago"...….

jeese….. I couldn't believe it, 18 bloody months i'd wanted to photograph her deck level.so went to the docks marina office to ask where she had gone.

"Lytham" was the answer.."to the museum" they said.

so, I thought...…..trip down to the creek at Lytham...….she might be tied up against one of the berths...….

drove down to Lytham and the "creek" was all locked up behind steel gates.

the RNLI Lifeboat station I thought, there's a small jetty there, she might be berthed up against that!...…..of along a visitor packed prom and parked up close to the station, where [I thought] fortuitously the main doors to the station were open, and I thought I would ask. one guy was busying himself detaching the charging leads to the D TYPE as I started to chat, and he said can't talk now mate...…….as I realised they were on a shout.[hope you guys got there in time and I didn't hinder you too much].

so I went up on the prom and looked out towards the estuary entrance to find the Voluntary Worker being tied up to a river mooring.

thwarted again...….will I ever get photos of her fore cabin aft section and interior!...…..what a waste of motoring time and diesel.

so all I managed to get was her mooring up at the mouth of the Ribble, in a few distant shots.

the quality of photos isn't the best, but she was about half a mile from where I stood, with only a little cannon point and shoot camera

img_6243.jpg

img_6244.jpg

29/08/2020 16:45:48
Posted by Bob Abell on 29/08/2020 11:42:10:

Very nice Neil

I like your attention to detail

Bob

thank you bob..….

the plates are now sporting the new brackets. these were made from slices of the plastic oval tube that comes as a weight in the bottom of a roller blind............the exact size to locate the life ring.

like they say on Blue peter...…..here's a life ring I made earlier.

img_6239.jpg

img_6240.jpg

img_6241.jpg

img_6242.jpg

28/08/2020 23:55:18
plasticard out tonight......
made the backing plates for the life ring brackets which attach to the stanchions.
you might think I have gone mad making 3 pairs...……..NO lifeboat of modern fast era carried 6 lifebelts as far as I know, on deck....
NO!!!
Seeing as certain modellers have worked a fast one on me and I am now building [ or should I say renovating] a certain members Mersey class lifeboat, and another person of repute[or should that be ill-repute] has asked me to fabricate the rear end of his new cabin as well, I thought I would whilst making one set, make all three sets.
took a rough tracing from the plans I had and then offered it up to a picture of the plate from a Tyne that I enlarged on screen.
marked the positions of the holes, and tomorrow I will find some tubing to use as the brackets which hold the life ring to the plate.
img_8118.jpg
img_6234.jpg
img_6235.jpg
img_6236.jpg
img_6238.jpg
26/08/2020 18:45:19

cant help the way the hull looks Bob...……..they were built to withstand hurricane force weather, and did many times in their lives.

25/08/2020 21:35:12

that didn't take long...…...already had the brass rod annealed and ready to go.

img_6231.jpg

img_6232.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor