By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Barry Foote

Here is a list of all the postings Barry Foote has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Who would you get to play your wife in a Film ?
17/12/2009 21:58:46
Posted by The Long Build on 15/12/2009 20:56:48:
1884 ???

Oops....Now don't tell her please..........I meant 1984 of course..

15/12/2009 18:44:17
It can only be a good choice if your wife looks something like the actress. I would choose Sandra Bullock as my good lady did look like her back in 1884....
Thread: Advice needed
08/11/2009 10:34:00
Blimey guys, this thread has been on for three days now and all you so called experts can't offer a new member a bit of advise......shame on you!!! No wonder I only look in occasionally to this "Gentleman's Club"

Steven,
Personally I would start with the Billings Renown. It will test your skills and put you on the right track for the rest of them. Best of luck and happy building.
Thread: Problems with Electronics
13/10/2009 19:39:38
Posted by Dave Milbourn on 13/10/2009 13:49:43:
Amazing what can be done with photo software these days!!

Yes - damned clever the way the artist has managed to Photoshop out the long serial number you were holding under your chin in the original photo..............
DM
(I've been insulted by professionals, you know)

Brilliant.....

13/10/2009 13:40:38
Avatar duly approved Mr Milbourn Sir.......Amazing what can be done with photo software these days!!
13/10/2009 08:18:16
Len,

Dave's avatar is deliberately done like that......You would not want to see the real thing!!!!

As for the rest of your post, well that man from ACTion will have all the answers you need..
12/10/2009 08:23:42
A cracking thread gentlemen. Personally, I have used some of the modern systems, from good old Dave M, and found them to be superb. I am currently scratch building an early American diesel tug and due to financial restriants, I am installing equipment that is over 23 years old. A Bobs board that still works perfectly and an old 27 meg radio system that peforms flawlessly. 

For me, one of the main differences between the two is that I actually understand how the old gear works..
Thread: Ship's wheel
07/10/2009 08:45:28
Or you could try 10mm plastic or brass tubing. Simply cut a slice off and you have the basics done. just add the rest with rod of some type.
Thread: Why do you like Model Boating?
22/09/2009 08:30:37
I have been building model boats for thirty years. My first love is the period ship, particularly the Nelson era, but I also love building the radio controlled models too.

That said, I don't know why as I never sail them when finished....They just get left in their cases and onto the next one I go.....
Thread: "Miranda"steam launch
22/09/2009 08:28:06
Come on Alan, more information and pictures wanted.....
Thread: Sir Lancelot
22/09/2009 08:20:16
Paul,

Your installation is far too neat and tidy for us mere mortals!!!! A real credit to you. Those ACTion products really are top notch.

A cracking job so far.....keep it up.
Thread: Tugboat Craig
19/09/2009 16:30:59
Not much been going on for some time, for many reasons, but I have at least got the motor, prop and various electrical bits installed, so thought I would give her a float test. I was pleasantly surprised, but she does float over an inch high, so plenty of ballast is going to be needed to bring her down.

Thread: Rigging
09/09/2009 08:07:20
Hi Harry,

I have been building square riggers for years now and have never tried the commercially available jigs you can buy. I use a pair of medical tweesers, long nosed grips and a pair of sharp embroidery scissors. Tension can be done by applying a drop of superglue at the block end, before continuing to finish the stay or shroud.

A quick tip. Keep a block of bees wax handy and run all your rigging cord through it before use. It helps to keep stray fibres from standing up. 
Thread: Why do you like Model Boating?
09/09/2009 08:01:11
For me it was the act of creativity that started me out. I just love to solve a problem myself and get great satisfaction when the build is done. As for sailing, well most of mine, hit the water once or twice, before I move onto the next, leaving the "old" one in it's box....

.....I gather from this, that I prefer the building stage to the sailing.. 
Thread: The "Real" death of English Cricket
05/09/2009 12:47:29
Well Paul,

Colin was a waste of time on both counts.......Computer crashed for the third time and England lost the first one day game to a very ordinary Australia.....I am gutted!! 
04/09/2009 09:21:28
Only just back after the second computer crash in a month.........Well done England , but the Aussies must be really worried, after all they lost to a rather poor team...
Thread: 1957 Century Coronado 21
25/08/2009 08:17:04
She looks a real beauty.....More please::
Thread: The "Real" death of English Cricket
24/08/2009 21:53:17
Dave,

I reckon Moderating a Forum can be harder work than picking a cricket team!! 
24/08/2009 11:27:41
Peter,

Enjoy the holiday and lets look forward to the next meeting.....I totally agree with what you say about the selectors. I reckon they will be getting replaced.....soon. 
Thread: Sir Lancelot
24/08/2009 08:37:15
Coming along very nicely......I am enjoying this thread..
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Coastal Shipping August 2021
SLEC
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor