By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Manxman

Here is a list of all the postings Manxman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hull plating
06/02/2008 17:33:00

Hi Bob,

Don't be disappointed, we have not gone away, just sitting in the background watching.  Don't  want to spoil your building rhythm.  Amazed at the speed your putting this lady together.

Ken

Thread: Powerful motors
28/01/2008 17:18:00

Hi Bob,

No idea as yet, the only water shes seen has been going into my whisky !    - Still fiddling around with the railings, Once these are finished I can get the wheelhouse in place and then think of the running gear - but as usual the house is calling, just started ripping the kitchen out ready for replacement.

Do you remember the days when a supermarket used to sell food !

Ken

Thread: Glue
28/01/2008 17:00:00

The canopy glue mentioned by Paul is "Formula 560" made by Pacer Technology - available from almost all model shops - this is white when applied but dries clear.

Ken

Thread: New Look
25/01/2008 15:07:00

Hi Vinnie,

Please pass our thanks to the I.T. chaps/lasses on the new look they've given our favourite forum  

Ken

Thread: BeckerRudder.jpg
25/01/2008 15:01:00

Hi Antonie,

I'm waiting to see the finished product as well ! - dragging on now

Busy making all the rails at the moment - flat brass etched ones - making them is quite easy, its the cleaning of all those solder joints that take the time.

Cheers - Ken

Thread: Paddle wheel assembly.jpg
24/01/2008 19:26:00

Hi Bob,

No need to feel lost when you've completed this one - just use it as a practice run for building a bigger one !

Just noticed the new picture - does look good - did notice however you never offered the cakes around ! 

Thread: I need some rubbish
24/01/2008 19:08:00

Hi John,

If you can wait a short while then visit your nearest model boat show, they normally advertise in the magazines and forums.  They usually start around March and you will pick up loads of items including ropes, barrels, drums, crates, buoys, buckets, crew figures etc.

Also have a look in toy shops, car boots and especially the local pound shops. If you have a spare figure, then carry him around with you and you can then check the sizes of any item you come across.

Good luck with your serach - Ken

Thread: Paddle wheel assembly.jpg
24/01/2008 17:29:00

Hi Bob,

I agree with Ducky, the wheel is really looking the business now, can't wait to see the floats on them.

Again I'm with Ducky - go with the dip, can see it being a nightmare spraying with the floats on, unless you dismantle it first.

If you do go with the dip, make sure your wearing your best suit and standing in the middle of the living room !

Cheers - Ken

Thread: Glue
24/01/2008 05:32:00

Hi John,

You do not mention which type of plastic material you are going to use, so have a look at the Model Tug Forum - http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=181.0 - I have a chart here listing various glues.  I can not take the credit for the list, but I picked this up from another site a while back and can not remember the original site - my apologies to the original author.

Hope its of some help - Ken

Thread: Great Eastern
22/01/2008 20:46:00

Hi Bob,

Been keeping a close eye on the progress and was impressed with the wheel - looked really good.

The drills are good, you can pick them up for £14 or less now days, an unusual place to look are the supermarkets, Tesco-Asda always competing with each other !.

They come with nice powerful motors (small) gearbox if required, and you can select the ratio,  its own battery & charger - when you think about it, they are a good source of power supplies.  You may even get a few drill bits thrown in for good measure.

I got my "Mouse" sander from Tesco for under £10.oo (ok it was on offer) its a matter of keeping your eyes open and spotting the offers as they appear.

Keep going .... Ken

22/01/2008 17:04:00

Your going to have your work cut out there Bob, trying to fit all of them in !

Ken

Thread: Help needed on planking
20/01/2008 20:31:00

Hi Bob,

Yes, it is a shame.  Could be any of a number of things.  We would not have had many members back then,  possibly no one living near to him,  no one with the experience, no one needing the money or drawings !,  no one willing to give up their time.  Even so someone could have pointed David to a club in his area.

Ken

Thread: BeckerRudder.jpg
19/01/2008 18:13:00

Hi Bob,

In short - No - Only working on her at the weekends at the moments, hate the winter nights.  My work room is a shed, a nice shed, but a cold one. By the time I get home from work the heater needs to be on for an hour to get up to working temperature, I work out doors and like to be warm at home ! - with these dark nights its not worth the trouble.

Wheelhouse is now complete and the ariel bridge fitted on top. Lights checked, and have just completed (today) soldering up the railings for the deckhouse. It will take a full day to clean them up now before painting.

But Hey, there's no rush.  Val has started stripping the kitchen, so looks like I'll be doing a spot more of decorating 

Had a quick look through the gallery, and GEs really coming along nicely now

Cheers - Ken

Thread: Clan MaCLeod
19/01/2008 06:04:00

Hi Bob, Alex,

I don't know why some people are obsessed with being "true scale", I'm like you, and use a lot of poetic licence - using matches it is difficult to get the accuracy required for all the detail, so a lot of it is left out - So long as I have the feel and atmosphere of the boat then I'm happy - after all I'm the one I'm making it for !

Cheers - Ken

Thread: Boulogne Etaples
16/01/2008 18:29:00

Hi Dave,

Have you seen the actual boat in person, so's to say, or is it from ebay ? - don't get me wrong here, I love ebay and have bought loads of stuff from there.

Most of the boats from here advertised as display models are just that and often of a solid wooden hull.

Do you have a picture you could post on the forum along with the length, beam and draft. This information would help other members in giving you the correct help.

Cheers - Ken

Thread: Clan MaCLeod
16/01/2008 18:23:00

Clan MaCleod - looks superb Alex - a credit to your modelling skills.

Ken

Thread: How great this site could be!
15/01/2008 17:39:00

Hi Len,

You've probably hit the nail on the head there - Would you let your young son/daughter hang around a bunch of old men like us ! - I wouldn't.  Our club is the same, we have one junior member, who on his first visit to the club meeting won the prize draw - haven't spoken to him since ! (cause I have, but trying to get him to bring his mates is something else)

What you need to do is redesign the logo - instead of calling a transmitter a transmitter change the name to PS3 or Wii - that'll get em in.  in a nutshell, if it doesn't have a keyboard and a monitor they just will not be interested.

As for the military site, they are just a bunch of power mad wannabe dictators hell bent on making weapons of mass destruction - only joking Vinnie. 

Ken

Thread: Powerful motors
14/01/2008 21:29:00

Hi Bob,

Quote : "the motor is only 1.5" above the inside of the hull" - does this refer to the center of the prop shaft ? - meaning you could fit a motor up to 3" diameter.

Your looking at the MFA 800, but reckon they are too small, can you fit two of them ? - with a belt drive as in the severn class lifeboat featured in MB.

When I fitted the 1ooo's, I did not have much height due to the angle of the shafts. The motor mounts were two lengths of ply glued each side of the motor.  The space was filled with silicone, motor wrapped in clingfilm and replaced.  Took 3 days to cure, but ended up with a bed that was a perfect match, absorb any vibration and stopped any noise transferring to the hull.

Cheers - Ken

Hey - its just another idea to ponder over, no need for a metal motor mount.

13/01/2008 16:16:00

Hi Len,

I wrote a nice little reply there to your suggestion, but deleted it as I do not wish to be thrown of the forum or bring it into disrepute for bad language - may work for other people, but for me, from past experience with these mobility guys will give the idea a miss.

The window idea is a good one though.

Cheers - Ken

Thread: Slow loading speed
12/01/2008 20:19:00

Vinnie,

You kept that pay rise quiet ! 

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor