By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Manxman

Here is a list of all the postings Manxman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: View
31/03/2008 18:48:00

Hi Paul,  (whats mb?) - Model Boats of course - (megabyte).  I'm not keen on Mars bars either, but I'll take the spirits of your hands !!

Hey Vinnie, thats some paint job there - superb

Thread: Rudder added
31/03/2008 18:26:00

Hi Len,

Seems like the wash from the small paddles is not enough to reach the rudder.  Does she turn ok in reverse ? - if so move the rudder to the front or turn the boat around !

Thread: Speed Controllers
28/03/2008 18:12:00

Have a look at Model Boat Mayhem - I'm sure I've seen a number of replies there.

Ken

Thread: Multi motor
28/03/2008 18:10:00

No info on MTBs I'm afraid - I'm into tugs, but they all use props, execpt for the rag & sticks !

Thread: Caldercraft Garnock engine sound options
28/03/2008 18:06:00

Sorry Dave (MS), but I did appoligise at the start.

Dave M - were closer to April 1st than you may think - we lose an hour on Sunday morning

Cheers - Ken

Thread: Speed Controllers
27/03/2008 19:50:00

Hi Mick,

I think I've seen these on Ebay, are they from china / Hong Kong ? - I've heard on other forums they have very poor slow speed control, have you tried yours yet ?.  Because of this I've just bought 3 Msonics at £36 each.  Would like to know how you get on with yours for future builds.

Cheers - Ken

Thread: Multi motor
27/03/2008 19:38:00

Hi Walter

If fitting 2 or 3 props, then the outside ones would run in opposite directions,  The middle one can turn either way.  Do you really need 3 working props? - the middle could be a dummy, either fixed or free running.  This would save the cost of a motor and speed controller (say £30-£40).  I would always fit separate controllers, as if one fails you still have control of the model in the middle of the lake, just when your on your own!.  Rudders - are easy, if the model calls for 3 then fit them. all 3 will opperate from the same servo.

Ken

Thread: Caldercraft Garnock engine sound options
27/03/2008 19:22:00

I'm going to upset David here - so I'll apologise now - sorry,

Engine sound systems, realistic as they are, soon become very annoying and unrealistic to the user and others around the lake.  In reality you would hear the engines when she is at the quayside and pulling away, once she's moved off a short distance you will not hear them.  This does not happen on a small lake because the speaker is often too large and the volume turned up.  Just stand at any quayside and listen to a ferry pulling out or a tug passing by.  It would be great if we could fit a system that faded the sound as the boat moved away from the lake side and increased as it approached

Ken

Thread: Drumbeat of devon
22/03/2008 06:36:00
http://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/2522/NewWire2_1.jpg

Hi Geoff, Wiring diagram of the 4 most common set ups - hope its of some help - regards Ken

Thread: smoke
19/03/2008 17:52:00

HI Andy

Sorry can't help with the smoke generator,  But with the radar visit Action R/C electronics at www.action-electronics.co.uk  they do a motor/gearbox (part M7G) for use with radars.  I paid £5.50 for mine at the Ellesmere boat show last year.  The motor runs on a single 1.2v bat,  if you intend using either 6v or 12v you'll also need their resistor/diode pack (£1 - part P77)

Cheers - Ken

Thread: Scales
15/03/2008 07:37:00

There's a web site knocking around where the guy uses clogs to make his steam put-put boats out of - they look quite good as well.

Thread: All done.
15/03/2008 06:09:00

Good idea Ashley,

... and if you tie the string to one of the loops you can get rid of the motor and pull them across - cheaper still ! 

Ken

Thread: Leander class frigate
13/03/2008 15:31:00

Hi Andy,

Last year at the Ellesmere Boat Show I picked up a very neat motor/gearbox (named M7G) for £5.50 from Action Electronics which I intend fitting into my  Boston Typhoon later this year.  They are on the web if you want a quick look.

Cheers - Ken

Thread: Drumbeat of devon
13/03/2008 05:32:00

Sorry for butting in Rodders,

But why wait until next year before fitting your lights/radar ? - Much easier to fit now during the build than to "cut in" later.  I know your not getting your extra channels until later but fitting the lights now and connecting them to a micro switch for manual use will enable evening sailings

Cheers - Ken

Thread: Help with wiring?
11/03/2008 18:17:00

Hi Dave,

Something does not seem right here - Lets do the obvious No.2 ...

You are not plugging the ESC into the battery connection of the receiver by mistake are you ?

Ken

10/03/2008 23:19:00

I know this is stating the obvious - but is the switch on the ESC in the ON position ! - easy to overlook.  Small switch, 3 connections, 2 wires - switch position should be over the 2 wires

Ken

Thread: Son of SS Great Britain 001.jpg
10/03/2008 23:09:00

Rubbish - just wait till you get a spot of rust on - it'll look just like the real thing

Thread: Tugs
09/03/2008 19:46:00

Hi Merv,

Pop along to Clydebank MBC at   http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robert.mcmanus/index2.htm

they have a number of FREE plans including 2 for tugs.  If the size is not to your liking just scale them up on a photo copier.  when printed out on A4 sheets you will need to trim them and then stick them together (unless your rich and have a A0 plotter !

Cheers - Ken

Thread: Handrails
16/02/2008 18:03:00

Bob,

You would be wise to ring before the show and let him know what you need.  Don't want to get there and find he hasn't brought any with him or sold out !

The rust bucket is coming along nicely - (its pronounced Bouquet) - Your not leaving all that deck furniture on are you ? - looks too clean alongside the weathering

Cheers - Ken

Thread: Rusty hulls
13/02/2008 18:22:00

Hey Bob,

You want rust ? - I'll give you all the rust you can carry

Found these a while back in preperation for my Imara tugboat

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/2522/Imara_(38).jpg

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/2522/Imara_(39).jpg

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/2522/Imara_(40).jpg

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/sites/2/images/member_albums/2522/Imara_(36).jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Nylet
Sarik
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor