By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Gardner

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Gardner has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Vic Smeed's Silver Mist
05/08/2016 09:29:34

You've thrown away 2sq yards of egyptian cotton?!  Mind you we've all done it. I'm always amazed at how when you chuck something out you immediately find a use for it- I think it's because it's fresh in the mind. Can't you nick a bit of bedsheet?

I used egyptian cotton on Mistral- lovely stuff. I may have some left. I'll check, and if I have I'll send you a pm- I won't have thrown it away.wink

I also forgot to mention I liked the black and white tiling effect for the wheelhouse floor- all you need now is to get the wheel and engine controls chromed!

All the best,

Ian

Edited By Ian Gardner on 05/08/2016 09:30:03

Thread: Deck Planking advice please?
04/08/2016 16:21:09

As expected, Mattias has given a very comprehensive answer to which it is difficult to add anything useful. A couple of things spring to mind though. When using black paper or card caulking I find it useful to stick the prepared or bought deck planks on edge to a sheet of card with PVA and when dry, slice throught the card so that each plank has its caulking already attached to one side. This makes calculation of widths and application of planks easier.

Another tip is to try and arrange things so that you have no bulwarks or deck structures in place before you sand the deck. It's much easier to make a good job of this when you have a clear run at it. It's not always achievable though, especially when using a GRP hull with bulwarks in place. I mostly build in wood and plan ways of attaching bulwarks after the deck is sanded.

When sanding, the black card dust tends to get into the grain of the wood but I find use of a sharp scraper at the end eliminates this.

I find, when joggling planks into the waterway or king plank, it is useful, if you have the facilities, to grind a chisel the width of the joggling to chop out the recess in the waterway. This is usually one third the width of the plank being used if memory serves. The chisel can be made from a an old needle file and hardened after grinding.

Up until recently I always used parana pine prepared from a thicknessed plank and sliced on my bandsaw, as I remember a gent called Mike Taylor (founder of the Scale Sail Association I think) saying it was the best representation of teak he could find. I'm not sure if he was right, but I now buy planks of obeche, which is very easy to work but goes a bit dark with age, or bass wood which is a bit bright. You pays your money etc... I have never used the woods Mattias mentioned.

These are my experiences and others might have better methods, but some of it may help.

Oh, and be prepared to become slightly unhinged!

Ian

04/08/2016 11:04:20

I'm a big fan of small brass nails Bob and use them for attaching skins, rubbing strips, handrails etc. I like a mechanical fixing!

I think at your scale they would look great used to tack down the canvas in nice lines- and even if they were a bit out of scale they would look good - very boaty! Having seen your rivetting in the past I know you like a bit of textural interest.

Glad you liked the canvas idea and will be interested to see what you decide. I wish I'd thought of doing the top decks like that now! I also wish I had the courage to make my usual bronze portholes but steep them in a briny solution to allow them to go green- which is what you are more likely to see on old classic boats than shiny polished ones. And make the mahogany a bit mouldy and grubby. Could never quite bring myself to do it though. Sounds as if you might be happier to model a well worn and loved classic- I await with interest.

Your SM is really beginning to look the biz.

All the best,

Ian

03/08/2016 20:44:38

PS. The current Mrs G approves as well!

03/08/2016 20:39:18

I agree Bob, that's looking good. What about a nice painted canvas finish? I often use a sheet of polycotton, or maybe something a bit rougher in this scale, and glue it down with dilute PVA. Make sure there are no wrinkles by squeegeeing with an old credit card or similar and then paint when dry- perhaps a nice off white or buff. It adds a nice bit of texture and interest. I did it on the wheelhouse roof of my Silver Mist and on the decks of Mistral.

Here's me building your boat again but it's just a thought.

Here's a picture of Mistral- you can't really tell but you'll have to believe me!

**LINK**

All the best,

Ian

03/08/2016 16:56:12

Looking great Bob- and if you'd used black caulking and joggled the planks you wouldn't be a third of the way through! Are you going to plank the wheelhouse deck too? Look forward to seeing how she goes on- you always seem to make such fast progress!

I haven't been in the workshop for ages as other activities seem to take over in the summer- mainly outdoor music. I expect Mattias (Banjo) will understand this.

Happy planking,

Ian

29/07/2016 19:23:27

Hi Bob,

It was only when you said you didn't like it yourself that I started thinking about possibe reasons why. Now you have started it might be sensible to carry on with the bamboo- and after all, it's your boat- you should do what you like.

I often find that bits of a build that jump out at you (and mistakes!) meld into the whole once the boat is complete -sometimes the best course is to bash on!

Sleep well!

Ian

29/07/2016 17:40:20

Hi Bob,

I was awake anyway and just thinking about model boats- you know how it is!

I can't remember if a scale was given on the plan- Vic often didn't - but I remember finding James Silver yachts of this type on the internet (I sent you a couple of links right at the beginning) and they tended to be 48- 52 feet long so you are going to be in the region of 1:12 scale. 5mm is a bit small I suppose - 8.5- 9mm would give you a 4'' plank.

Anyway, you know all this! I use obeche or bass strip from SLEC- cheap as chips really and beautifully machined. Why spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar and all that?

All the best,

Ian

Thread: Pirate Ship
29/07/2016 15:10:49

Lucky boy!

29/07/2016 15:07:36

Hi Bob,

You seem to have a bit of a down on deck planking but I wonder if, in this case, it might be because your planks are a bit narrow. I know you are using some stuff left over from another project but consider that your boat represents a craft of about 48ft- so a scale of 1:12? That means that the deck planks might be 1/4''  at least to show a plank of 3'' width and they could be wider.

Of course I can't really tell from your photos, but they do look narrower than that and that might be why it all looks a bit busy. With wider planks the black caulking wouldn't be so prominent- there wouldn't be so much of it!

I planked the deck of my Silver Mist with 5 or 6mm planks (can't honestly remember now) and mine is smaller- 1:16- and I think it looks fine. I know deck planking can drive you bonkers, especially when you do the joggling but it's all worth it in the end!

Just to let you know how seriously I take all this, I lay awake last night having one of my occasional bouts of insomnia and worrying over your dilemma.thinking

All the best,

Ian

Edited By Ian Gardner on 29/07/2016 15:08:20

28/07/2016 16:09:02

Really looking good Bob. That large area of planked deck will look great.

Inerested in your use of bamboo- where do you come by it? Old fishing rods?

All the best,

Ian

Thread: Moonbeam
28/07/2016 16:05:57

I agree Mattias. Having planked many decks myself you can easily lose the will to live but the end result is always worth it and it is, after all, one of the most visible aspects of a model boat. You will make a lovely job of it and we all wait with baited breath!

All the best,

Ian

Thread: My First Boat
27/07/2016 19:39:24

Is it a GRP hull? It doesn't look much like the Gwen M to me as it appears to be a round bilged hull. I assume Gwen M has a chine hull- and it isn't a schooner rig. If it's a GRP hull it shouldn't be too hard to identify as there haven't been vast numbers of hulls produced to this type over the years. Dimensions would help.

It's hard to know what's going on under that boxy stern- but it doesn't help her looks so I'd be inclined to alter that and remove the heavy rubbing strake-depends on how far you want to go.

I do agree with Peter that it might be good to sort out some sails and see how she goes. It's possible to bodge something up with bin liner material just to see how she performs.

Ian

15/07/2016 12:54:09

Hi Bob,

I was talking about the curved wings coming from the wheelhouse front seen in the photograph you posted- the cover of Model Maker of the time. They aren't on the plan and would look nice I think. Have another look at the photo- it would distinguish your Silver Mist from others.

I agree the plan is a bit confused and it did take me time to get it sorted out. Actually, it put me off starting for some time, so you're not alone! Looking at Ray's photo reminds me of what a lovely craft she is.

Ian

15/07/2016 09:54:59

I don't think those nice side wings coming forward of the wheelhouse front are on the plan and they may be a a nice touch- I only noticed them on the photograph after I finished building mine.

I think it's always a good idea to spend time studying a plan, Bob.wink

All the best,

Ian

10/07/2016 13:22:05

Oh dear! I was only half joking about the risk of having a dirty great brass prop whizzing round inside the boat. I don't suppose you'll get caught again though!

Thanks for your comments about my Mistral- had her out at Cheddar yesterday in the sunshine- a lovely boat, and people often mention what a nice old classic she is. I wish I'd built her a bit bigger though.

I wonder if my steam yacht built on a Silver Mist hull would count- don't see why not - an example of how Vic inspired us. I must put some photos up- still a work in progress.

You'll have to sit nursing your sore finger in front of the football tonight!

Ian.

10/07/2016 09:31:51

Hi Bob,

Neat looking installation and the fan seems a good idea. It might pose a health and safety risk inside the boat though! You certainly keep busy.

What's a crystal?wink Seriously, I like the idea of using up redundant gear- hope it all works out.

I also like the idea of a Vic Smeed boat day- I have three boats built to Vic's designs now- Silver Mist, Veleta and Mistral and might be persuaded to journey north to attend such a day- it could be good fun.

**LINK**

Ian

05/07/2016 13:47:45

Hi Bob,

I didn't mean to cause you to question your decision about a drive motor! I suppose it would be a shame to spoil the ship etc- but that Marlin and big prop look OK and seemed to stir things up when you tested it in the pool. I think Silver Mist is a fairly easily driven hull too. You've got plenty of room to get in there so, as you say, no hurry.

All the best,

Ian

04/07/2016 18:46:19

She's really going to shift some water and will be a fabulous boat afloat-as long as you don't do your back in getting her in and out!

It takes me back seeing this stage, and Silver Mist was one of my favourite builds- nothing more exciting than seeing a boat take shape, especially a wooden one.

Watching with interest,

Ian

03/07/2016 17:10:52

Very good Bob. You found a way of making that whole deck removable- you'll be able to ride in it!

All the best,

Ian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Sarik
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor