By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Gardner

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Gardner has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Vic Smeed's Silver Mist
28/08/2016 16:19:38

Now I see the whole thing painted, Bob, it has sort of grown on me! What number Humbrol is it Bob?

Edited By Ian Gardner on 28/08/2016 16:20:35

27/08/2016 20:56:02

Bob, I thought I'd try but it's your boat and I would defend to the death your right to paint it whatever colour you want! I just wouldn't do it myself!!! laugh You are obviously fond of this shade of green. Have fun gathering all the bits and pieces for the next stages, which I see you are doing this weekend.

All the best,

Ian

27/08/2016 12:34:47

Hi Bob,

The profile shot of Silver Mist looks very good. The vast majorityof these types of boats would have had a light coloured hull, white or off white off set with some bright finished timber- very tasteful!

All the best,

Ian

23/08/2016 20:09:57

Thanks Bob,

Having a smashing time in the Isle of Wight with the grandchildren. Sat watching the boats going down the Solent today, including this lovely gaff ketch, Queen Galadriel. I spotted her when I was tracking my son's ferry on the computer as he came across from Southampton on Sunday night- and there she was romping past Hurst Castle today. I'm pretty sure it was her anyway.

**LINK**

I like the appendages to the hull- as you say, it all adds interest.

Ian

23/08/2016 10:30:31

Hi Bob,

All looking very good. I would never have thought to put a strip round the waterline- quite a good idea. I know full size boat builders scribe a line into the planking.

Tony mentions that the 42'' model would have been around 18lb according to Vic- I mentioned earlier that it might be in the order of 22lb, working from my model- so not too far off. Vic knew his stuff when it came to calculations of weight.

I'm away on holiday at the moment so can't look in quite so often but things seem to be moving on apace!

All the best,

Ian

17/08/2016 20:01:17

I'd hesitate to call my contributions advice Bob! Merely suggestions for discussion.

You got me wondering about these stanchions so I have just been out, to the boatshed to measure those on my Silver Mist. They are 1.875'' from deck to top of rail and at a scale of 1:16, which is what my boat is, that gives a height of 30''- what Colin initially suggested. Good enough for me and your 31'' will be about right too. Perhaps I went through the same thought processes as you- can't honestly remember now.

Ian

17/08/2016 14:48:44

Sorry Bob! Pay attention at the back that boy!

I used the height off the plan for the handrails ( or the nearest I could get as I used turned handrail stanchions). I don't have any figures on mine yet to indicate any discrepancy in scale.

Looking at various pictures of motor yachts and steam yachts (as I do) I think railings could be a bit lower and I'd be inclined to stick to Vic's dimensions- it was only a semi-scale representation anyway. Could throw everything out if you go too high. And the handrail comes in neatly at the level of the saloon roof.

That handrail looks rather splendid and, as you suspected, the deck is blending in with everything else nicely too.

Ian

17/08/2016 11:52:51

Hello Bob,

I think the cotton will certainly get very grubby if you don't treat it somehow. I always put a few coats of matt paint on, I have used buff or light green and then finish with acrylic varnish. It still gets grubby! Canvas decks would have been painted.

When I did my railings I just eyeballed the angles-seemed to work. It's amazing how it all stiffens up when it's all complete. The angled bit where the level changes caused most problems.

I remember taking the decision to mount the davits in tubes in the deck just inside the handrails rather than on brackets on the outside of the hull- that seemd a bit vulnerable to me. These can then be removed for transit and plugged back in just before sailing.

Ian

16/08/2016 16:14:11

My pleasure Bob,

Now you are getting to all the interesting bits, and as you say, each addition will make a huge difference. It's all looking very nice now.

Some while ago you were talking about the dinghy and wondering what might be available. Orion Mouldings make a 10'' clinker dinghy for a tenner- that would be a 10' dinghy on your model but I don't know what the beam is and whether it woud suit. Just another suggestion.

I carved mine from balsa and planked it with ply and as it's upside down I made it solid.

**LINK**

All the best,

Ian

16/08/2016 13:30:20

It's looking very tidy Bob and I'm glad you went with the egyptian cotton idea.

Ian

13/08/2016 16:14:32

Sorry to have missed this yesterday Bob- had an important gig last eve.

Looking fab and just the job. I must say I imagined the strip being on the surface of the roof but this is better by far but as you say, a bit nerve wracking. The cotton looks very smooth too.

I like the half round at the bottom of the saloon too- all looking very boaty. I can practically smell the mildew, yacht varnish and whiff of diesel as I watch on.

All the best,

Ian

11/08/2016 17:38:40

Hi Bob,

I can't honestly remember where I got 48' from but it's what I worked on when building mine. I saw it once described as a Brown Owl and they were built to different lengths,but I have a book written by John Bain in the 30's and the Brown Owl was a bit different. There aren't that many photos of this type to be found.

I think your waterline looks about right- is it as per plan? Of course, everything you add/ do makes her look more like it and getting the waterline cut in will make a huge difference. It's one of the things I try and remember when I'm building - the further on you get the more everything melds together to make a harmonious whole- hopefully!

You seem to have made a decision about the cotton. If you use dilute PVA or aliphatic and don't like it, it can always be peeled off again. I turned the edges under the roof and secured with clothes pegs while it was drying.

Any thoughts about colours? You mentioned a cream for the hull but I also like Ray's in white. Classic colour schemes are always best for classic boats I think. Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Ian

11/08/2016 10:17:37

Looking very nice Bob.

I think at 21'' in balsa it was a beginners model- couldn't call your boat that, especially as she is planked throughout and actually your planked stern looks more elegant than the one Vic designed in my opinion.

I also think you have got those windows just right - bit more spaced out and the look a bit wider.

Ian

09/08/2016 17:38:23

That's good, Bob. And the windows are looking good too. I wish I'd seen Moiena before I built my SM- l like those name plates on the saloon side.

Ian

09/08/2016 11:01:48

Hello Bob,

I think your mock up gives a very nice idea of what to expect. I do agree that the curved tops to the windows will need to be done sensitively- not too exaggerated. I made a sanding block of the correct profile to ensure they were all the same. I also wonder if they might be spaced along the saloon side a bit more and maybe make each window a tad wider. You'd get a better impression with black card too. But this is what mock ups are for and it's worth trying different ideas out until you are happy. It's already looking more detailed and taking away from the bulkiness of the hull- we knew it would!

Will you turn up some portholes? My Veleta is plastered with phosphor bronze portholes as the plan- probably not very scale- but who cares? On my Silver Mist I used aluminium tube flush with the hull with glazing stuck to the inside- not very exciting.

Ian

08/08/2016 12:25:58

Glad you like Moiena- I did send this link right at the beginning. I had found other photos of this type when I built mine but they seem to have disappeared from the net.

I think the white saloon sides on Moiena make her look a bit heavy and I like Vic's bright finished ones- but I liked the archtop windows on Moiena- and easier to do! Also note the bright finished rub rail which would break things up a bit.

You can see the tabernacle of the foremast on Moiena - and the aft mast looks as though it belongs too as she is moored to a jetty with nothing behind her. I imagine Vic wouldn't have known about this- no internet in those days and maybe not even ADLS- I think Raymond Baxter started that after he became the owner of L'Orage. All that's from memory so could be duff gen!

Ian

08/08/2016 10:17:51

Hello Bob,

I still think you will get a bit of a surprise when you ballast your Silver Mist to her proper waterline, especially if the bare boat weighs 15lb. The materials used are... immaterial as long as you don't go overweight. You could build it from expanded polystyrene and it would still be the same weight to ballast it down to its marks- you'd just need more lead!

Here is a link I sent you right at the beginning which might reassure you about what these boats looked like- and to show you a different saloon window shape you might consider. I think the bow view is interesting- and of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Watch out climbing on that church roof!

**LINK**

All the best,

Ian

07/08/2016 18:44:05

Hi Bob,

I think it's worth remembering that this model was designed at 21'' and meant as a beginners model and sometimes simple designs don't enlarge well. I had the same worry over Veleta which was a 24'' 'simple' model and I enlarged it to 36''. It's not a scale model but I like it- and I like your Silver Mist. I think when you have put the portholes in and the hull is painted a light colour against the bright finish of the topsides and wheelhouse it'll look fine. You could add a rubbing strip which might help- and of course when painted there will be a boot top. It was a 48' boat so the figures look right on Vic's model.

I don't think you could call it a tub by any stretch of the imagination. I'm always a bit suspicious of statements starting with ' no offence meant ' or 'not wishing to upset anyone'smiley

Keep calm and carry on!

Ian

07/08/2016 10:42:21

Hi Bob,

You may have noticed I changed the saloon window shape on my Silver Mist. I found a photo of a very similar vessel on the internet and I liked the windows. It also saved having to make metal window frames!

If you have followed the dimensions on the plan all should be well. She's looking very imposing by the way- what a sight she'll be afloat.

For some years I have been thinking about a double sized Guardsman- the design that Tony built. Your Silver Mist is inpiring me to think about starting in the autumn. It'll weigh in the order of 36lb so I should do it while my back's still strong enough.

All the best,

Ian

05/08/2016 16:15:51

Hi Bob,

PM sent.

Ian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Sarik
Nylet
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor