By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John W E

Here is a list of all the postings John W E has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Scroll Saw
20/10/2018 15:11:10

hi there, Mr Milbourn - well I will give you 7 out of 10 for that recommendation for the Scroll saw - I ordered one on line and its just been delivered today. Sadly I had to return it due to the framework that holds the tilt table in - the alloy had cracked on the mounting lug, making the table unusable - I returned it to our local store who swapped it for me with no problem.

Overall, it took some setting up; to get the blade to cut straight. Once set up, it seems quite happy to cut half inch plywood no problems. Also I have managed to fit the fretsaw blades, which I use for my hand fretsaw, into the new Scroll Saw. Its a faff on - but in the end got there.

I am going to do a couple of amendments to the clamping arrangement of the blades, so I can clamp the fretsaw blades better - but me overall opinion from a dye hard fretsawer - its pretty good - be ideal for me next project which has a lot of frames to cut out John

Thread: Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs
09/08/2018 17:53:44

Hi Tony - thanks for the information. The plan is of a very similar layout to the Cervia tug plan in that there are construction and help notes - at the sides of the plan.

I know that the Cervia plan was a freebie in one of the mags, and I wonder if this plan could be a freebie. I will keep searching - thank you though for your kind reply. John

06/08/2018 17:01:50

hi there

I need some help - I have acquired the plans for the steam trawler by Vic Smeed - the reference number on the bottom of the plan sheet is V110. Here is my query - was there ever an article to accompany these plans? maybe in one of the Modelling Magazines?

John

Thread: Model Boats March 1970 article on 3Pdr saluting gun
21/05/2018 11:37:56

img_20180521_0004_new.jpgimg_20180521_0003_new.jpg

Hi will this help ?

johnimg_20180521_0002_new.jpg

Thread: Precedent Perkasa 49 and 1/2 inch
11/05/2018 12:09:02

Hi will this help you out brave borderer(6) (medium).jpg

Thread: Servo to Rudder Connection
09/05/2018 17:16:14

Hi will this help 006.jpg

Thread: Jigsaw picture
09/05/2018 11:40:41

Hi all if this link works it should be the ships facts

fingers crossed dont know

john

**LINK**

08/05/2018 12:53:31

star-of-india-2013sail-1200wide.jpg

08/05/2018 12:42:44

Star of India ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_of_India_(ship)

Thread: Virgin Atlantic challenger 2
10/04/2018 16:56:01

hi there

If you have a look at the Virgin Atlantic which I built - look at the railings - they are made from copper wire. In actual fact the wire is 15 amp twin core & earth grey wire with all the insulation stripped off. Each copper strand was cut into several lengths approximately 2 foot long and then one end of each piece of wire was secured in a vice, and I gripped the other end of the copper wire with a pair of pliers and then pulled taut to stretch the copper wire and also straighten it. At the same time I wrapped a piece of wire wool around the wire and pulled it along the wire to abrade it. This helps the adhesion of the paint when you paint it. The thinner rails are made from 5 amp bell wire - stretched out in the same way and treated with the same method with the wire wool I have used this method of about 45 years on each model that required railings of all scales and it works for me. The only time I have had harassment of corrosion is when I have been 'too lazy' to clean the flux off the solder joints which then - in turn - in a couple of weeks time leaves a green gunge around the joint. just some food for thought.

John

Edited By John W E on 10/04/2018 17:06:24

Thread: Disarmodel Vanguard tug as RC
26/03/2018 17:32:37

Hi there Petr and welcome to the Forum here.

It is a lovely looking kit - but - after I have done a good search on the Web - I cannot find any information where someone had motorised this kit. I have a feeling it is meant to be a static kit. Do you have any information or viewed Forums where someone has motorised the kit? If so, that may be a lead for you. There has to be someone on this planet who has motorised this kit but maybe they aren't people who frequent forums.

If it turns out to be a static kit, it may be a little difficult to motorise it and ballast easily on the water. Hope it can be motorised cos there are various ways of sealing the hull with epoxy resins on the outside and also numerous ways of driving the paddles using belts etc.

Let us know how any progress - try other kit manufactures from the UK - such as Deans or Model Slipway. Just to name but two. Also if you look up a Company called Cornwall Model Boats - they list numerous amounts of kit manufacturers.

Also on the Home page for this forum - look on the right hand side for advertisements for kit manufacturers.

Happy Modelling.

John

Thread: Virgin Atlantic challenger 2
03/02/2018 17:47:06

just been trying to get the link to work - but I cant for some reason - my browser isn't allowing me to copy and paste it properly. Maybe Mr Bishop will be able to put it right - or if you wish - just type in the search box Virgin Atlantic 2 and this brings up several postings on the topic.

John

03/02/2018 17:40:12

002.jpg001 [800x600].jpg

hi ya Nick intriguing build - looks interesting the twin drives and rudders - as far as plans go there are a set of semi scale plans for the Virgin atlantic 2 boat issued with model boats mag, back in the 1980s - which I built my version from - and so have several others on this Forum. Although this version is only single prop, it suffers from cavitation if you try to do tight turns with it A member of this forum has managed to rectify this problem by fitting a standard dagger type rudder instead of the horseshoe. Here is a link to one or two of the builds on this forum which you may find interesting.
http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=52626002.jpg

Thread: Bending Deck Planks
20/01/2018 19:33:47

just as a side note Colin you will find when the deck planks have dried out and are released from the jig, they will spring a bit. I overcame this problem when I actually glued the deck plank to the model - I held it in place with dress making pins until the glue had dried on the plank. This seemed to do the trick.

John

20/01/2018 19:29:17

hi there Colin

the deck planks I used for HMS Exeter build and a few of the fishing boats, I obtained from Jotika - they can supply a variety of materials/timber in varying sizes. I used 0.5 thick x 3mm (I think it was lime) for the decks of the warship. For the decks of the fishing boats I used a wider plank 5mm wide x 0.5 mm thick. I made a simple jig up out of scrap plywood half inch thick for the base of the jig and for the actual piece that was to form the actual bend of the plank I used a thinner piece of plywood roughly quarter of an inch. This was glued and screwed on top of the base plywood towards the edge. I wet the plank in warm water and moulded it around the radius of the template and then held it in place with clamps until dry. I am attempting to attach a bit of a sketch but no so successful at the moment due to the fact this old modeller has just purchased a new computer with the new Windows 10 on. My computer doesn't like me anymore hek.jpg

Thread: RAF Launch question
08/12/2017 18:47:00

http://www.mtbhulls.co.uk

Here's a link Chas, to Christian's website.

John2651_1.jpg

Edited By bluebird on 08/12/2017 18:47:50

08/12/2017 18:39:24

191_2.jpgHi ya Chas - a guy you could contact is Christian he owns MTB Hulls and he also has a website. The gent has a lot of access to information on Coastal Forces Launches and he will more than likely be able to help with your enquiry. He also has a website which you may be able to contact him through. He sometimes frequents this forum and also on Mayhem. He has furnished me with several images of these launches - but at the moment due to the fact I have this new computer which doesn't seem to like files from me old computer - so it will be a bit of a time before I can download all me files regarding these type of launches. John

Edited By bluebird on 08/12/2017 18:40:22

Edited By bluebird on 08/12/2017 18:45:48

Edited By bluebird on 08/12/2017 18:49:10

Thread: RTTL help please
14/11/2017 15:59:06

Hi ya there Peter

Simplicity is sometimes the best policy by keeping it single prop - although I am not a great lover of brushless motors - I prefer the old ones (plug in and play ) instead of having to programme but that just me ..

The motor Dave Milbourn has mentioned will no doubt do the job - the thing to remember is - when Vic Smeed originally drew the plans up for 99% of his plans it was to use with materials that were available at the time. When the RTTL plans were originally drawn in the 1950s there wasn't a great choice of materials to build the craft from or was there a very good choice of motors to power the craft - compared to what we have these days.

Taking that into consideration we can now build a model using lighter materials and therefore requiring much less power to propel the model in the motor apartment to achieve a greater speed and this is why when I built my RTTL I only used 4mm ply for the bulkheads and I removed the centres of all of them which, if you have a look at the plan which Vic has drawn. you can see he has left several bulkheads 'solid'. He also uses a very thick keel which I reduced down to 4mm in thickness.

Hope this has given you some food for thought. John

Edited By bluebird on 14/11/2017 16:00:50

13/11/2017 17:47:33

004 [800x600].jpg005 [800x600].jpg

Hi there Peter - are you going to build the model as per Plan single prop? or twin prop or even triple prop as some of these boats were? If you do a search on Mayhem - I build this model using Vic Smeed's plans as a reference and also I used an awful lot of original material from Vosper. My model has twin props both rotating in the same direction as per original. Props are 32 mm diameter 3 bladers and Mtronik motors vision 600s.

Edited By bluebird on 13/11/2017 17:50:16

Thread: Beginners luck
10/08/2017 17:05:08

hi there

looking art that motor reminds me of years ago before the internet and Ebay were every invented we used to buy a magazine called Exchange and Mart - can anyone remember it? You could get 100s and 1000s of goodies to be bought a sold and in among them were surplus electric gear from the Armed Forces and one of the favourites were bomb site motors - we modellers used to look for them - they were small and compact - the only drawback was they were between 18 and 24 volts; very low amps and this motor reminds me of that.

One new trick I have learned lately, from my son, to remove paint use Dettol - and it has to be the brand Dettol - soak the parts from which you want to remove the paint in Dettol in a sealed container - and it takes the paint off the plastics without doing too much damage.

The model looks well worth restoring back to its original former glory - as the original builder had intended.

Just my thoughts anyway

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Sarik
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor