By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John W E

Here is a list of all the postings John W E has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Prop sealing
15/03/2008 22:28:00

hi there all

Normally when I first install propeller shafts and motors into a model; I pack the propeller tubes with a medium grease, also lightly oil the bearings and bushes on the motors; connect the motors up without any speed controllers or anything - to a 6 or a 12 volt battery (depending on the motor size) and allow to run for at least an hour.   This beds the bushes in the propeller shafts in, and also the bushes on the motor.

After the motor has been running for about say 1 - 1 1/2 hours; I remove the prop shafts from the tubes; clean out all the grease from insides of the prop tubes, normally flushing through with paraffin or white spirit.  Then replacing the grease with a couple of drops of very light machine oil or sewing machine oil - in with this I have a syringe that has a light machine grease which was supplied from where I used to work  and I only put a tiny amount of grease in the shafts - so much so you should be able to spin the shaft freely by hand.   After I have done all of that I reassemble motor and couplings and run the motor straight from the battery again for approx 5-10 minutes.

I know sometimes, some folk say, you shouldnt run brand new stuff in - flat out - you should actually build the speed up gradually, but I must confess I have never done that on electric motors.   Yes, I have gradually build up speed on steam and diesel motors, but as I say never done that on electric ones - and I have never encountered any problems.

To be honest the only problems I have ever encountered like that was created by 'poor' plastic coupling bodies; where the brass inserts either end have been mis-aligned.

Aye, I do hope that is of some help  John e - (bluebird under cover )

Thread: Clan MaCLeod
18/01/2008 21:02:00

hi there Alex, or Sandy  hey you got more names than me mate

Nice to see one of your lovely builds on here - I see it floats too.

BY the way is that pic from BYs collection????

aye

john e  

Thread: Durham
30/09/2007 17:35:00

hi Ian

I live in the North East of England and off hand I cant think of any Clubs right next to Durham.   However, have you tried the Ryhope Pumping Station model boat club - they meet on a Sunday afternoon and on a Thursday night they have a modelling night - which entails any type of model.  Plastic, cars etc. and its a lovely atmosphere in that Club - nice setting too.

There  is also Saltwell Park model boat club, in Gateshead (meet on a Sunday morning and sometimes a Wednesday afternoon) good bunch of guys.  Nice setting.

Also, South Shields Marine Park model boating club, one of the oldest clubs in England - meet on a Sunday morning.  Although at this moment there are mainly yachts but some members myself included do, do scale sailing.

One last club, nice setting, Tynemouth Club - also meeting on a Sunday and they do a Thursday afternoon sail.

Also., there is Heaton Club, Im not sure what their sailing day is

Hope you can try them all

john e

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Nylet
Sarik
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor