By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim Cooper

Here is a list of all the postings Tim Cooper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Christmas Present
12/01/2020 14:20:40

Same for me, my contract is £6 a month, the phone is my youngest sons old one.

It's nice being able to keep in touch with sons and grandchildren in Scotland and Malaysia through WhatsApp. Even video calls with Malaysia so my Grandaughter can see us or is it our young dog she wants to see?

Sometimes I wish I had thinner fingers so I didn't press the wrong key so.much.

Tim

Thread: Access all areas - or not?
10/01/2020 11:01:57

Peter

I have made hatches to cover parts of hulls and sealed them in place with bathroom silicone. It is waterproof and some of them can be painted. Just loosen with a knife to gain access, clean and reseal with fresh sealant.

Tim

Thread: Lead free solder
07/01/2020 13:34:43

Thanks Dave

I will get some ordered.

The cabin is more or less fitted out inside and proving very useful. With all the wet weather the door keeps sticking. Waiting for the dry, warm weather ( if we ever get some) to sort it out.

Tim

07/01/2020 10:11:02

I found myself in an unusual position of having to think about buying some solder. I seem to have managed for 40 odd years off a large reel given to me by my Dad and bits supplied with soldering irons. Should I buy some lead free solder or stay with lead solder? I notice that the lead free has a slightly higher melting point. I guess I should change away from the flux paste my Dad gave me as well.

Tim

Thread: Brushless Motor Drivelines and Couplings
31/12/2019 12:39:43

Colin

I have used a rubber centred coupling for the brushless motor in my PT Boat and it works very well. I did make a plastic sleeve to keep it rigid when setting up, as recommended by DM.

My Italeri Schnellboot has a rubber centred coupling on the brushless centre motor and Huco ends and tubing (kindly supplied by DM) on the 380 motors port / starboard motors. Seems ok on the bench but no water trials yet.

My part built Huntsman also has a rubber centred coupling fitted.

Tim

Thread: Progress
08/12/2019 12:45:16

Bob

I will give that a try.

I have tried reducing the screen size but it moves to the left and gives a black band on the right.

Thanks for the tip.

Tim

08/12/2019 09:53:13

Bob

I have just changed to Win10 as we have changed our CPU. I have a similar problem to yours my copy of Word 2000 will not load and for the amount of use I need its not worth buying another copy. I think now you only get a year's worth at a time. You will have to let me know how you got it to work.

Our other problem is that it seems to push the screen display off the LH edge of the monitor screen. Couldn't originally see the power options. I have had to move the task bar from the bottom to the RH edge, we can now see the power options but still lose the LH edge.

Tim

Thread: Todays Boating
21/11/2019 17:10:57

Have you seen the Howes ad in the new mag. Graupner Brushless 300 to 600 size. £14.95. Don't know size though.

Tim

Thread: Railway Ferry
06/11/2019 09:06:23

Andrew

I notice that your model uses the Airfix / Dapol range of 1/72 figures. I remember painting a lot of them when I had a railway in the loft.

I know when I sold most of the railway stuff off a few years ago the painted figures and buildings were very easy to sell on line.

Tim

Thread: Securing Prop Shaft
30/09/2019 08:12:21

Ray

It must be another Cossack!

Tim

Thread: RC conversion of Italeri MAS 568
18/09/2019 12:13:52

Dennis

If you logon and put MAS 568 in the search box you will find a Plastic Magic article by Dave Abbott on converting this kit.

Tim

Thread: FTVOGUE Multi- Purpose Air Brush
17/08/2019 13:01:17

Colin

I have some Bourbon but mine is a bottle of Woodford Reserve from my son. Must find a reason to open it.

Tim

17/08/2019 10:17:01

Colin

I have several people tell me that I don't look 70 in the past week. I don't like to ask how old I think they think I look.

I find alcohol in the form of red wine or whisky or brandy works better than formaldehyde.

Dave

Now the rain has stopped I might be able to get that cabin water proofed. Am now awaiting a new door to replace the split one. Nearly completed the first coat, then I can start all over again.

Tim

Thread: Graupner Wiesel RC setup
16/08/2019 11:27:40

I have used Revell paint a few times in the past. I didn't find them as easy to use as Humbrol. Maybe they are Intended for use on polystyrene model kits? Perhaps a different solvent?

I buy my Humbrol tinlets from Cornwall Model Boats.

Tim

Thread: Adhesive problem
06/08/2019 14:58:32

Thanks Dave

I might give that a try if the last two I have to do fail (again!).

Tim

06/08/2019 12:32:35

Has anyone found an adhesive that will work for a thin brass windscreen to clear styrene?

Super glue fogs the styrene, Canopy glue and Evostik does not work. I am slowly getting a fragile bond with Evostik Serious Glue but it seems to be a bit hit and miss.

The screen is for a Italeri S100, so it's 7 small panes or in this case pains!

Tim

Thread: Technological Progress - Is it getting too complicated?
24/07/2019 08:56:26

Agree about the cars. I do like air con, so does my dog and wife, but some of the features on our car we have never used.

Regarding boats I have boats on 2 channels and one on 9 channels, and few boats with brushless motors but no Lipos.

Whether you want extra working features is personal choice. I'm building a 1/35 Schnellboot with working features and a DM Fairey with none, at the moment.

Tim

Thread: Vic Smeed's HMS Cossack MM500
30/06/2019 20:48:52

Bigger workshop but don't think it will be ready till Winter. Maybe I will be ready early in the new year, I could start then and learn from your hard work but I am determined to finish the two I have started first.

Tim

30/06/2019 13:51:10

I will be looking forward to the build . I am tempted to join you but 2 models in progress, and another planned. Workshop being replaced soon so will be busy trying to get a new one up and running.

Good luck

Tim

Thread: Model carrier
18/06/2019 19:47:38

Colin

Yes , handy but I think any models I make now will be easily carried under one arm. Although I have tried the Model Slipway Aziz in the pushchair I have a Graupner Bernhard Gruben, I just hope I can lift into to pushchair. One of the problems with getting older,  but I just like the bigger models.

Tim

Edited By Tim Cooper on 18/06/2019 19:49:28

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor