By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim Cooper

Here is a list of all the postings Tim Cooper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 2021 Builds during lockdowns
13/06/2021 11:44:36

Neil

That's a big 'un!

I built the Model Slipway model a few years ago, it's quite a lump to move about ; and its only one metre (39" long.

Dave M described it as a powered baby bath tub!

dscf7557.jpg

Thread: RAF rescue launch ASR HSL
09/06/2021 13:52:55

I have used thinned down coat of epoxy on the inside which worked oK. In theory the inside of the boat shouldn't get that wet. Ashley may have a problem with some of his more experimental boats.

I do leave the hull open overnight just to air, even on my plastic and glass fibre hulls.

Tim

09/06/2021 12:06:29

There is an article by Dave Milbourn o the forum under 'Hints and Tips' on finishing wooden boat hulls.

Personally I have used glass cloth and a resin coating as recommended by Dave.

Tim

Thread: Todays Boating
05/06/2021 21:22:05

Ashley

The elastic doesn't last long if you pull it tight. I have just had to re rig the pirate ship I made a few years ago for my Grandson .

On my S100 Schnellboot I used Kneinik metallic thread. It seems to be ok after about 12 months. I have used it on my OSA 1 model. Different colours and thicknesses are available. I bought mine from Amazon.

Tim

Thread: OSA 1 Missile Boat
31/05/2021 12:41:22

Started adding some of the deck detail. Still have some stanchions to fit.

Mast is now removable for storage. Motors for the radar fitted. Just started making some Nav lights and a light for the stern. Trying to decide how to turn modern British Infantry into Soviet sailors.

Tim

img_20210529_163534.jpg

img_20210529_163440.jpg

Edited By Tim Cooper on 31/05/2021 12:42:19

15/05/2021 09:30:27

Ashley

I had similar comments from a woman dragging her husband away from asking too many questions about my Model Slipway Aziz. She was muttering 'BoysToys' ! Which is what I had spelt out out on some signal flags from the mast.

Mostly I have had nice comments from anybody who has stopped to watch or ask a few questions.

It's a hobby, we do it to keep our minds working and for fun!

Tim

Thread: RAF rescue launch ASR HSL
11/05/2021 10:01:53

H

You could have a walk around the supermarket. There might be a vac forming a convenient shape or top that could be used.

Tim

Thread: Sound Units
10/05/2021 12:42:19

Eddie

Just opened the website and logged on to my account.

I have noticed that the product list doesn't seem to work properly on my mobile device.

Tim

05/05/2021 12:26:51

Thanks Ashley

Three attempts and lots of brass wire. I'm following articles in the magazine from a few years ago so that gave some tips to follow. The pictures help work out the sizes, just have to remember the the articles are for a 1/35 model whilst mine is about 1/48.

Windows and some deck details next, and get the radar to rotate.

Tim

Edited By Tim Cooper on 05/05/2021 12:28:08

04/05/2021 19:57:54

After several tries I have managed to get the hand rails on the superstructure. Need to decide how to fix the mast so it's removable. Could do with figures being painted and doors and windows to add to the superstructure.

Tim

img_20210504_174039.jpg

img_20210504_173933.jpg

Thread: scale
26/04/2021 22:48:01

Alan

1" to one foot ie 1" to 12" is 1/12 th scale. 5/ 8" to one foot is 1 to 19 or about 1/20th scale.

Tim

Thread: Commodores Challenge
20/04/2021 10:20:06

Thanks Bob

We have spoken a few times. Last time , I think, you asked questions about my Eezebilt OSA 1 model I started in Lockdown 1.

Tim

19/04/2021 17:17:55

Bob

I enjoyed the video of the Slo Mo 2.

I don't remember the build blog. I guess it was quite big? Love the driver / pilot. I might even consider making a smaller version.

Don't think I could make one as good as that though.

Tim

Thread: Another stupid question, for those who know
02/04/2021 13:55:10

Carl

Most of my boats have non wooden hulls so not so much of a problem, but I still leave the "top" off when I get back from sailing , just in case there is any water ingress.

On my wooden hulled boats I usually seal the inside I can get at once the deck is fitted and again air after sailing.

Tim

Thread: Fisher 34 motorsailer
01/04/2021 12:12:57

George

I'm sure we have all found your build interesting. Like to see the pics on the water.

Tim

30/03/2021 14:17:35

Had a slight setback and delay as I have made the mast for the third time, using finer brass rod this time

Also, made few hatches and vents for the deck.

Back to soldering now for the railings.

Tim

img_20210330_125756.jpg

img_20210328_163741.jpg

Edited By Tim Cooper on 30/03/2021 14:18:19

Thread: Beginner's kit - simple, not too dear
14/03/2021 12:42:05

Henry

Have a look at the Eezebilt.tk website. There are plans there for the small KK boats some of us used to build in the 60's. The plans are designed to be printed off on a home PC, and are based around standard balsa sheets. Instructions and build logs also there. Boats are small and easy to put together, and can be quite cheap, if using a basic radio set.

Tim

Thread: Dave Milbourn RIP
05/03/2021 12:05:12

Very sad news. He was always very helpful with queries I asked him.

I visited him at his Carlton workshop a couple of times when he repaired a speed controller for me and once at Lambley so I could see his new wooden cabin. I now have one from the same company.

I remember when he owned Action, he ran me about an order I had placed. I had ordered 4 or 5 small switches. He rang to ask if I was using them as motor power switches, if so they were too small and why did I want so many? In the end he sold me one larger switch, as having a spare would be a waste of money.

But as he often said he was from Yorkshire. I shall think of him when I get my Fairey Huntsman in the water.

Tim

08/02/2021 22:45:58

I got the electrician to put some Led battens in my 13ft x 12ft cabin when wired the sockets. Two five foot ones produce very bright light over all.the interior of the cabin and they come on straightaway.

Tim

Thread: KeilKraft Mermaid
08/02/2021 22:38:48

I will get the name right eventually. Trident Trawler.

Mine has had several overhauls apart from the hull sealing. New rudder when changing to RC. The superstructure has come apart a couple of times and the hatch had to be changed to get either the battery or the RC gear in. It has lived in its own wooden box since being built.

Tim

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor