By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim Cooper

Here is a list of all the postings Tim Cooper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Dave Milbourn RIP
05/03/2021 12:05:12

Very sad news. He was always very helpful with queries I asked him.

I visited him at his Carlton workshop a couple of times when he repaired a speed controller for me and once at Lambley so I could see his new wooden cabin. I now have one from the same company.

I remember when he owned Action, he ran me about an order I had placed. I had ordered 4 or 5 small switches. He rang to ask if I was using them as motor power switches, if so they were too small and why did I want so many? In the end he sold me one larger switch, as having a spare would be a waste of money.

But as he often said he was from Yorkshire. I shall think of him when I get my Fairey Huntsman in the water.

Tim

Thread: Todays Boating
08/02/2021 22:45:58

I got the electrician to put some Led battens in my 13ft x 12ft cabin when wired the sockets. Two five foot ones produce very bright light over all.the interior of the cabin and they come on straightaway.

Tim

Thread: KeilKraft Mermaid
08/02/2021 22:38:48

I will get the name right eventually. Trident Trawler.

Mine has had several overhauls apart from the hull sealing. New rudder when changing to RC. The superstructure has come apart a couple of times and the hatch had to be changed to get either the battery or the RC gear in. It has lived in its own wooden box since being built.

Tim

08/02/2021 10:00:38

Should have said that mine is the President trawler.

Tim

07/02/2021 22:27:09

I have the sister model to that Veron Coaster. Built when I was about 13. So it's about 58 years old. No radio control to start with but now has 2 channel set. Probably been repainted 3 times, and a coat of tissue and dope about 20 years ago to stop leaks.

Tim

picture 001.jpg

Thread: Cutting Plasticard Advice
07/02/2021 12:32:44

Chris

I have couple of Linex Hobby cutting rulers, bought from Amazon, they have a non slip rubber pad underneath. One side for measuring and the other is thicker for cutting against. This helps to.prevent the knife blade skipping. They work for me. I bought a 50 cm one first, then a 30 cm one which I find easier to use on a work top. I use the cheap snap off blade knives and emery boards for filing the edges. Liquid poly for gluing.

Tim

Edited By Tim Cooper on 07/02/2021 12:35:00

Thread: Tank steering
15/01/2021 11:33:26

Joe

I have a Robbe TX with the Navy twin stick. For most of the time on the water they are locked together so both motors are driven together. Very useful for steering at slower speed or manoeuvring.

Tim

Thread: 2021 Builds during lockdowns
07/01/2021 18:05:26

Colin

Yes. It's the DM kit. Just needs to have a name put on. Will be nice to try it out!

Also , I have a Italeri Schnellboat 1/35 , with guns that turn and are connected to sound and light effects sat on a stand waiting to get wet.

Perhaps this Summer or Autumn.

Tim

07/01/2021 17:04:25

I am still working on my OSA 1, which I started at the start of lockdown 1. I did finish a Fairey Huntsman but not been able sail it yet.

Tim

img_20210107_161752.jpg

img_20210107_162354.jpg

Thread: OSA 1 Missile Boat
07/01/2021 16:48:14

Just started painting a couple of Decoy Rocket launchers for the OSA 1. Small in 1/48 scale, but not too hard following Dave Wooleys article from MB a couple of years ago.

img_20210107_161202.jpg Plus some liferaft canisters.

So hopefully I may be able to put in the water later this year.

img_20210107_161727.jpg

Thread: Propeller shaft lubrication
13/12/2020 13:01:16

George

Those oiling fittings look like the ones I buy from CMB. You can get an aerosol can of Lithium based lubricant here, which you could squirt down the filler tube.

Tim

12/12/2020 13:03:54

George

I have used both. My older boats use brushed motors and some are geared so the tubes are greased with lithium grease. Recent boats are brushless. On these I have fitted oilers, CMB, sell some plastic fittings that fit around the tube, drill a hole, and fit piece of tubing. I use 3 in 1 oil in these.

My older boats haven't been out this year so I'm thinking they might want some attention by next year, so I might change them over to oilers if I can get to the tube.

Tim

Thread: Will Everard - Billings kit
03/12/2020 13:15:20

6 foot man in 1/72 - 25..4 mm. In 1/67 27 mm.

Tim

Thread: polarity of servo wires
01/12/2020 14:06:29

Neil

I had a similar situation on my Graupner Bernhard Gruben model. Two servos work together to lift and lower the stern gate for launching the small rescue boat. In this case the two servos were set up on either side of the hull , and with the servo arm on the right of the servo, when looking toward the bow. This meant that the servos operated together from one channel with a y lead.

Tim

Thread: Returning modeller
27/11/2020 12:05:10

Jim

Try Wilkos they have the lightweight filler. I have used it around the house, gave me a reason for buying it and on models. Can't remember the price but not would not have been expensive.

Tim

10/11/2020 12:13:56

I have made a Pelorus and a Target Designation Sight for the OSA I . Challenge for my clumsy fingers in 1/48 scale. Just started painting them but mostly grey.

Tim

img_20201110_120238.jpg

Thread: MV Oldenburg 1/48th scale
10/11/2020 11:17:15

Ray / Ashley

Had a quick play with the insulation foam. It cuts easily and files or sands very easily. Lots of dust. But very soft or am I just used to wood or plastic? Ever easy to dent even with finger.

Tim

09/11/2020 12:45:36

Ray

When you say Styrofoam for the blocks what type do you mean? We have had builders here for 3 months and have left some offcuts of a cream coloured insulation foam with aluminium foil on one side. Don't need any at the moment just thinking of putting some in the shed for future use.

Tim

12/10/2020 12:35:34

Been working on the mast the last few weeks. The radar platforms have been testing my soldering skills. More detail has been added to the missile boxes. May move on to the open bridge next.

Tim

img_20201011_190200.jpg

img_20201011_170737.jpg

Thread: making rudders
02/10/2020 11:36:22

Steven

I have bought commercial rudders and changed the shape of the brass plate to suit. On several models I have changed the shape by gluing plasticard on and using filler.

Tim

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor