By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim Cooper

Here is a list of all the postings Tim Cooper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Motor size/ set up
05/10/2021 18:16:08

I have converted the Italieri Landing Craft.

I used two ex cassette tape player motors initially with 20 mm plastic props. But it was very underpowered given the barn door shaped bow. I changed the motors to 2 x 140's for more power. I bought a Sherman Tank kit for the load bay, this is used as the battery box.

To raise and lower the ramp door I used a small geared motor to turn 2 connected pulleys and strong thread to the door.

Tim

Thread: Commodores Challenge
10/09/2021 13:12:23

Ashley

You forgot the tail!

That can move in any direction or in circles, and seems to be independent of it's owner!

Tim

Thread: 9 11
10/09/2021 13:01:27

I was at work at the Boots Site in Beeston Nottingham. The Factory Plumber stopped to tell me about the first plane strike.

Tim

09/09/2021 19:43:17

No

Yes once we tempted him in, he enjoyed it.

Tim

img_20210718_123911.jpg

09/09/2021 12:04:07

Found a pic of my new paddling pool.

Tim

img_20210718_123859.jpg

09/09/2021 10:52:06

Bob / Richard

I had one of the blow up pools for a while till it kept deflating and couldn't find the hole.

This year I bought a Dog Paddling pool from Amazon. It's circular, about 1.2m across. It doesn't need blowing up. The sides are wood encased in PVC (?), The slats are joined together and a integral base. You just open it out and start filling. When finished with and empty, it folds up and is stored in a plastic case. There is a cover available for it , which I think I might buy as well

The dog loved it as well.

Tim

Thread: TYNE Class Lifeboat build
30/08/2021 12:07:09

George

I have used a number of those small geared motors. CMB sell them. I have also bought a number from China via Amazon. Can take a few weeks to arrive. On my OSA Missile Boat I used one for each of the radar that rotate, connected to a small speed controller which can be set using a knob on the unit.

Have a browse on Amazon.

Tim

Thread: OSA 1 Missile Boat
24/08/2021 21:54:29

Added the life raft canisters to stern and the Soviet Ensign. So we just need a storage box and a trip to the pond.

Tim

img_20210824_153246.jpg

Thread: Lubricant
20/08/2021 12:48:45

I have used Some general motor grease now. Not packed the gearbox just a good smear on each gear and the bearing.

The MFA geared motors always seem to me to be lightly oiled.

Next model to be checked over is a Model Slipway Aziz, which has 2 MFA geared motors. I think in the past I have just oiled them an put the plastic cover back.

Tim

18/08/2021 14:32:41

Richard

That's ok. It came apart much quicker this time. I have used some grease but not too much.

The Robbe Navy come with a nylon gear fixed to the prop shaft, and a metal one on the motor. One half of the gear box is fixed to the prop tube which is then fastened to a bullkhead. A cover plate and the motor are located from the other side of the bulkhead. Bolts go through the gearbox and cover plate to the motor. The bolt heads are on the gearbox side. Space here is limited by the deck, rudder servo, and a water pump. The bolt heads take an Allen key.

For obvious reasons it's been a while since I used this model so I thought I would check everything. Still Have the working features to check.

Tim

18/08/2021 12:18:12

Thanks

I'll grab the tools I need, make a mug of coffee and get it done .

Tim

18/08/2021 08:35:52

Thanks

I will have another look at it whilst I have it on the bench.

Wish I had thought to ask the question before putting the gearbox back together.

Tim

17/08/2021 19:35:40

I am just starting some maintenance on my Robbe Dusseldorf.

The motors are Robbe Navy Compact (I think). The motor has a small metal gear, this meshes with a larger nylon gear on the prop shaft, all inside a plastic gearbox.. I have usually smeared them with lithium cycle grease. This seems to have gone to a thick paste since last time I took the gearbox apart. It's a bit of a swine to undo. This time I have liberally wiped 3 in 1 over both gears .

Is this a good lubricant for metal to nylon meshing gears.

Tim

Thread: Colin Archer 1:15 scale
13/08/2021 13:20:56

George

There is a small box just above where you press to add the posting. If you tick the box you get the EMAIL alerts.

If you go to to bookmarks at the top of the page you should be able to turn it off.

Tim

Thread: LCT Ramp Mechanism
11/08/2021 16:46:12

As Charles I have used 2 servos and aircraft snake and a servo morph. This was for the Stern Gate on my Graupner Bernhard Gruben. The servos were mounted on a rubber two sided tape just to give it a bit of give when it closing. It did take a bit of patience and time to set up.

Tim

10/08/2021 22:06:48

Bob

No problem.

Glad you are getting it sorted out.

Tim

09/08/2021 19:50:31

Bob

Just checked on my Radio link set. Assume it's the same on all sets.

RH stick - up/ down - channel 2. Left /right channel 1

LH stick -up /down - channel 3. Left / right channel 4.

Or connect a servo to the channels in turn and move a stick to check the response.

Tim

Thread: OSA 1 Missile Boat
08/08/2021 15:58:33

Just about finished now. Need to build a storage box so I can move it to the cabin in the garden

Tim

img_20210808_153703.jpg

img_20210808_153304.jpg

img_20210808_153221.jpg

img_20210808_153334.jpg

07/08/2021 11:57:13

No problem Bob

I have asked plenty of questions on the forum.

My problem is remembering people's names. Faces are no problem just can't always put a name to them.

Tim

07/08/2021 08:58:40

Bob

Turn radio set on.

Press Mode and Select together for a second, till set beeps.

Screen shows MODL and a number e.g. 1

Use the small switch at right hand side of screen to change number from 1........6

Press Select button (left side of screen) to select that model.

I find it easier to turn the set off and on then. It will then display the model selected.

You May have to go through the six models that can be stored to find the one you want.

I think the model names can only be four letters long.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Edited By Tim Cooper on 07/08/2021 09:01:40

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Premier March
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor