By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim Cooper

Here is a list of all the postings Tim Cooper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: OSA 1 Missile Boat
10/11/2020 12:13:56

I have made a Pelorus and a Target Designation Sight for the OSA I . Challenge for my clumsy fingers in 1/48 scale. Just started painting them but mostly grey.

Tim

img_20201110_120238.jpg

Thread: MV Oldenburg 1/48th scale
10/11/2020 11:17:15

Ray / Ashley

Had a quick play with the insulation foam. It cuts easily and files or sands very easily. Lots of dust. But very soft or am I just used to wood or plastic? Ever easy to dent even with finger.

Tim

09/11/2020 12:45:36

Ray

When you say Styrofoam for the blocks what type do you mean? We have had builders here for 3 months and have left some offcuts of a cream coloured insulation foam with aluminium foil on one side. Don't need any at the moment just thinking of putting some in the shed for future use.

Tim

12/10/2020 12:35:34

Been working on the mast the last few weeks. The radar platforms have been testing my soldering skills. More detail has been added to the missile boxes. May move on to the open bridge next.

Tim

img_20201011_190200.jpg

img_20201011_170737.jpg

Thread: making rudders
02/10/2020 11:36:22

Steven

I have bought commercial rudders and changed the shape of the brass plate to suit. On several models I have changed the shape by gluing plasticard on and using filler.

Tim

Thread: Cruise Ships - Dawlish Devon
28/09/2020 11:06:59

Ray

If you have had your over 65 flu jab they will soon be lining you up with one for Pneumonia and Shingles! Had my flu jab a few weeks ago no ill effects but think I got the blunt needle.

Tim

Thread: Todays Boating
28/09/2020 11:03:04

Richard

Looks great! Making me very jealous, I have always loved Wallace and Grommit.

Should it work perfectly? They always seem to have something go wrong or fall off.

Lovely pictures.

Tim

Thread: Balsa Shortage
26/09/2020 12:10:24

Dave

I thought lite ply had a balsa core. Is it another light wood?

Tim

Thread: Returning modeller
27/08/2020 11:00:06

Jim

I usually only add 2 or 3 pictures at a time, and press save on the album.

I find now that it works best from my smart phone.

Tim

Thread: BRUTUS MK 11
25/08/2020 11:37:13

Bob

Had the same problem with the metal mounts. I have made the hole bigger to help sometimes . I prefer to use the nylon mounts now. Brushless motors being smaller helps when fitting them.

Tim

Thread: Action P44 Twinlatch switcher
23/08/2020 14:41:42

Bryan

Would it be easier to wire the 2 batteries in parallel to give a longer running time?

Tim

20/08/2020 17:24:35

Just about got the AK 230 guns ready for painting. Need to decide if I am going to have them turning.

Tim

img_20200820_165454.jpg

img_20200820_165519.jpg

Thread: Aronaut Caribic - What Adhesive?
20/08/2020 11:07:47

Bill

I have built several Graupner and Robbe kits which had an ABS hull and parts. There are special adhesives you can buy but I have used PVC pipe weld and a 2 part adhesive from Aldi for ABS (long chemical name cryanolates and smells ).

I found the Pipe adhesive the easiest to use. Quick look on the Internet will show lots of adhesive for ABS. Don't think polystyrene cement works or I would have used it,

Tim

Thread: Boat?
17/08/2020 19:57:37

Richard

Have a look at the Eezebilt boat website. The are a number of simple plans to download and print on a home printer or you could scale one up to make a bigger boat. You can add extra detail if you wish. They are based on the balsa kits we used to build in the 60's.

Tim

Picture of an enlarged PT Boat I built.

PT Boat 1

Edited By Tim Cooper on 17/08/2020 19:58:24

Edited By Tim Cooper on 17/08/2020 19:59:21

Thread: A decent kit for a beginner
11/08/2020 19:19:06

Simon

I have built the Aziz and Tamar by Model Slipway. Both built into nice models.

Don't remember any major problems. The kits I built used printed styrene for lots of the parts so you have be good at cutting them out. But it was a few years ago so they may have changed.

Tim

Thread: BRUTUS MK 11
11/08/2020 19:05:39

Bob

I used to keep my larger models in our loft, so that meant an extra set of stairs to get down. I have now treated myself to a timber cabin in the garden, so that's where the big models live. I still have some smaller ones in the house, so the way to get those down the stairs is - carefully.

Tim

Thread: Recovery
09/08/2020 21:27:35

Bryan

I converted an old pushchair last winter. Not. been able to try it yet.

Tim

p1070731.jpg

09/08/2020 12:08:34

Bryan

Can just remember last time I took a boat out.

I take a ball on the end of some fly fishing line, as the line floats, and waders. I try to take another boat on another Tx as a recovery boat. Only time there was a problem was testing a Model Slipway Tamar which stopped in the middle of the pond, had to borrow waders off the park keeper. So I bought my own.

Tim

Thread: Todays Boating
08/08/2020 11:06:44

Ashley

Noah's ark I have made but didn't try it on the water. Not sure my granddaughter wanted it to get wet.

Tim

p1050383.jpg

Thread: My Time Media. Model Boats Magazine.
04/08/2020 11:56:20

Has everyone got their copy of the magasine now?

Mine still seems to be with the postal fairies. I assume that they are all sent out at more or less the same time?

Tim

Edited By Tim Cooper on 04/08/2020 11:57:12

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor