By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Philip Hughes 1

Here is a list of all the postings Philip Hughes 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: RAF rescue launch ASR HSL
11/06/2021 10:58:41

So took the eze kote route - thanks for the tips guys - so it starts with the hull bottom:

fghull.jpg

So also starting constructing upper superstructure:

upper deck.jpg

09/06/2021 09:47:57

So next things to do - we have made a thin ply top again to cover some of the dings and such the blasa jas picked up on the deck.

Also upper deck superstructure to sort out.

have the 2.4ghz transmitter and servos etc

BUT need to 'water proof first' - any advise on this guys? for the hull and inside hull?

Do you still use dope? anything recommended here?

09/06/2021 09:44:59

So my Father-in-law spent a happy bank holiday - sanding and carving etc to get a very good looking bow IMHO:

bow complete1.jpg

Closer up view:

closeup bow.jpg

So the rudder and prop shaft epoxied in place:

rudder and propshaft.jpg

And someone asked about the instructions - brief photo here not sure about the original source but came with the plans:

instructions.jpg

02/06/2021 10:19:54

looks like my F-I-L beat me to it - he had already 'blocked' in the bow with block balsa and scrap

Guess this bit will take a little time - time to learn some carving! lol

blocked bow1.jpeg

01/06/2021 16:15:50

hi Ray - it came with instructions that look like its from a magazine article - i'll post a pic here when I'm round next time - thanks for the tips

01/06/2021 13:11:34

part upper super structure1.jpgHere is an update on the latest build developments - as per all the hard work and effort by my wonderful father-in-law and a stand to put it on whilst being worked on

Sides on hull and mostly sanded down - done in ply:stand and part hull.jpg

stern view:

sternview.jpg

image of w-i-p upper superstructure that we decided to not use: shows rear hatch cut out - so we can get to servos/rudder etc:

superstructure - not used.jpg

looks .like we will go with this super structure: - also shows Oerlikon canon from 3d printed:

part upper super structure.jpg

So we still need to block the bow and 'carve' it out - not sure about this bit!

18/05/2021 09:29:33

You will notice in some of the above pics - we doubled the bulk heads to add more riigidity and larger surface ara to glue the sides to.

Something to note - the plans appear to be 'out' in some parts by as much a 5mm on some of the bulk heads - either that or the top deck needs to be wider!

17/05/2021 13:55:24

So here are a few pics from my build - so you can see progress:

These are plans being used:

plans1.jpg

and here are the cutouts joined to make a frame:

frame3.jpg

frame1.jpg

Started using thin ply for the sides:

sideglued.jpg

glued down with cascamite - and needs final trim to size and 'sanding in'

thats all for now

Thread: RAF rescue launch ASR HSL
11/05/2021 09:53:04

thanks for tips guys - I'll be sure to feedback how this goes. Nice tip about the bulb - can I ask what bulb you used - looks good on the pictures @Dave Cooper 6

@Ray Wood the model is for radio control - but only thinking of powering the motors - not turrets etc

10/05/2021 11:55:10

Hi guys - as a first model building a 'whaleback' using a set of plans - being built with my father-in-law.

Its a RAF HSL/ASR - with a 'flat bottom' - thought this plan best for my basic skills in 1/24th scale - any hints or tips please?

We are scrath building hull and superstructure from balsa with added details from 3d printed parts from ebay etc. BUT need some help sourcing 1/24th scale gun turrets x2 anyone able to help - happy to pay a fair price for them. Not happy with just shaping them out of wood and painting them white!

Help appreciated for this newbie

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor