By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Green 1

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Green 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 1:33 scale boat fittings and people
25/09/2021 21:09:03

It is completely hypothetical. Was an old scratch built push tug. But the original superstructure had a door that was only about shoulder height of the figures on the deck. So rebuilding the superstructure so it looks more into scale and by making bigger it has been helpful as can increase opening through the deck.

24/09/2021 22:16:24

Fully agree, everything in life has a compromise. I'm looking at both 1:32 and 1:35 items to improve things.

Another boat I'm restoring/rebuilding is scratch built and in no way to any scale. So with that will just be looking to see what fits and looks okay.

23/09/2021 21:44:05
Posted by Colin Bishop on 23/09/2021 19:10:30:

Mark,

Most people build model boats without crew figures although many would benefit from them. Figures will only be produced at specific scales if manufacturers (who won't usually be model boat kit makers) think there is a viable market.. So you might want to check out the availability of figures before building a boat to a particular scale.

Manufacturing volumes are small in this area of modelling so choice is limited. Often people will convert figures from other areas of modelling.

Colin

Fully agree and understand. Just a shame as you would think if kits are made they may think of the wider modelling range.

I am just amazed at the fantastic help I have had in relation to my question. I just want to slowly restore and make the models the best I can.

22/09/2021 22:56:06

Many thanks for tips about the crew and boat fittings, just a shame as you would think if boats are made to a scale it would have some matching in terms of accessories.

22/09/2021 22:54:53
Posted by Richard Simpson on 22/09/2021 09:06:25:

Mark, for 1:33 scale I am sure that you could use either 1:32 or 1:35th scale figures and accessories. In which case there are huge ranges of figures in those scales amongst the plastic kit manufacturer's offerings for, mainly armour, based topics. These can be modified of course to suit any other setting. I have used tank crew and field kitchen figures to create deck crew for a coaster.

There are also white metal figures available from Mountfleet Models and Dean's Marine as well as other model kit suppliers.

As for a kort replacement have a look at the Mobile Marine Models website. Have you tried a repair on your cracked one? Slightly opening the crack with a scalpel blade and allowing some very thin cyanoacrylate glue to go into the crack by capillary action would be a very strong and effective repair.

Many thanks, I am going to attempt a repair as hoping I can resolve. If not will be in touch as per your suggestion to see if they can assist.

The rebuild/restoration of the Smit is going to take some work as built by an electronic engineer, with all custom wiring. With lights working radar, tow winch, anchors and working twin steerable water cannons plus bow thruster you can imagine the chaos I'm trying to slowly unwind.

But it will get there in the end. It's half the fun of the hobby.

Thread: Searching for some old plans - KNK Jupiter
22/09/2021 22:40:49

Many thanks I have used to Contact Us part of their website to ask cost for shipping. Many thanks, for the advice.

As you can see the small one I have goes really well on the water, giving me about 45min run time on an AA 7.2v battery. Needed it as AA batteries to keep the weight down.

Thread: 1:33 scale boat fittings and people
20/09/2021 23:40:07

Can anyone please direct me to the best place for figures and deck fittings for my to use on a number of my boats.

I have looked online but I seem to find everything else but the scale I want. I have a Smit Netherland and other boats of the same scale.

I am also looking for a replacement Kort Nozzle for the Smit, I have emailed billings customer services but have had no response. One of mine is cracked at the bottom so needs to be replaced.

Any help or suggestions welcome.

Thread: Searching for some old plans - KNK Jupiter
20/09/2021 21:28:26

Hi Everyone,

I know this is probably a very strange thing to ask.

Does anyone have or know where I can download plans for this model. Many years ago my elderly mother had one of the medium sized versions, but it sadly got destroyed by a very large tree in the huge storms on my birthday in 1988.

I am desperate to find the plans to rebuild one for her. I have managed to track a smaller one down and mentally paid a small fortune to get it me. Having restored and got this smallest version operational, as seen at the Norwich Model Boat Club most Sundays. I am now wanting to recreate in the larger size to make it easier for my mum to see on the very large club lake.

If anyone can help, it would further return a smile to someone that lost their original boat years ago.

Below is the smallest version back on the water, with a little 380 motor on 7.2v AA battery pack it really can move.

Sadly the small size means weight is a huge issue, even a standard 7.2v brings it very dangerously low for any sharp direction changes.

KNK Jupiter 401 - it goes well.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Nylet
Sarik
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor