By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Nugent

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Nugent has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Building the 1:50 Amsterdam Tugboat
26/11/2020 18:42:17

I will begin posting when I start unboxing. Please remember that the Atlantic and the Amsterdam are the same boat with different names. I have tried to find differences but could not. Please feel free to post and share your experience or suggestions.

26/11/2020 18:40:27

The Amsterdam by Artesanía Latina is a 43” x 10” RC with a GRP hull. It is listed as an advanced model which it good as I wanted a challenge. Here is the companies description:

Tugboat RC Amsterdam

1:50 scale model of the Amsterdam , a classic tall tugboat. The Atlantic modeling kit contains parts of board cut by high precision laser, noble wood, gravure, brass and cast iron: it has numerous details in chemical cut (photo-etched) to be more faithful to the original ship.

RC Amsterdam BowLikewise, the hull of the Amsterdam tugboat is made of high quality ABS so it can easily be converted into an R / C modelas it is more resistant and waterproof. Without forgetting that its interior is ready for the installation of the electrical system (not included). The cannons to launch water are designed to be usable (mechanism not included).

this description does not do the model justice.

RC Amsterdam Stern

26/11/2020 18:17:30

Building a large scale tug was alway on my bucket list. I am 56 and it is time to get started. I wish that the USA had the amazing community of RC boat building as in UK. Unfortunately, there is not even a boat club in Georgia. I plan on starting one in Rome Georgia.

I had several tugs I really wanted to build. The Happy Hunter - out of my price range. Smit Nederland - out of my price range - get my drift? By the time I add a working winch, crane, lights, up/down dual lifeboats, radar mast, Lott nozzle - only one fixed, working anchors, horn/sound, smoke generator, any maybe some additional stuff. But again. By the time is purchase a boat is need to have funds for hardware.

i kept searching eBay for several months and came across an amazing deal. I bought the model brand new for only 110 pound and 10 pound shipping. This leaves me money to purchase a lathe!

I was also able to purchase the Mare Nostrum Fishing Trawler for only 40 pound including shipping. I might build them both at the same time. I always have an eye out for great deals on kits. I am always on the lookout for a Occre Ulysses Tug. Anyway - let me start to talk about the build.

26/11/2020 18:01:49

This is my new forum. In fact, I have never blogged, reviewed or started a thread that will be as inclusive and detailed as this one. But I love to write - this helps. Please let me know if I ever need to clarify something or ad a few more photos.

Although this is my first forum it is not my first build. I have built the following, Robbe Fireboat (did not really enjoy this model. It looked like a toy. It might have been the builder - me), Dean’s Marine 67” Trein Maersk. This was biting off more than I could chew for only having an all plastic boat under my belt. Directions were rough and the photos were so poorly reproduced that they did not help, Occre Tram (Actually a very detailed and challenging build. Loved and recommend if looking for a 30 to 50 hour build.), and a few of the large scale balsa airplane kits.

Thread: Looking for 1/12 RNLI Arun
24/11/2020 20:55:32

I am looking to purchase an RNLI Arun in 1/12 scale in the US. We are so far behind the brits when it comes to large scale stuff. Thankz

Thread: Fittings For 1/12 RNLI Arun
22/11/2020 20:08:18

Wow. That looks like a difficult model. Are you scratch building it? How long will a model like this take you from start to finish?

22/11/2020 19:36:40

Thanks Colin and Chris. What are you building?

22/11/2020 19:35:44

That will be a big sucker. I have found an amazing site for 1/12 fittings. They actually have a special section for RNLI large scale models. Macsmouldings. I will have to build some type of transportation cart from my truck to the water.

22/11/2020 18:38:04

the measurements for the life size Clyde is 71 feet by 18 feet. Anyone want to try and figure out the length, width and scale using these numbers? I am not good with these type of figures.

22/11/2020 18:33:39

I am looking at purchasing the hull, deck, wheelhouse and plans for the RNLI Arun rescue bost from Mount Fleet Models. How difficult will it be for me to get the 1/12 fittings? I have 3 3d prints so I know I can print some but would rather go with metal.

I am also looking at the 72-inch version of the RNLI Clyde. Not sure what this scale will be? Any help figuring out the scale based on the length?

Thank you all

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor