By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Garth Thompson

Here is a list of all the postings Garth Thompson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Jenny (with modifications)
28/06/2021 15:57:39

Thank you Tony for your kind words. I haven't got any photos of it sailing to windward but it makes good progress in lightish winds. The gun'l has certainly got wet. However it remains only suitable for fairly light winds; the sail area is quite large for the size of hull.

28/06/2021 11:41:49

Here's another

img-20210627-wa0007.jpg

28/06/2021 09:29:16

Here is the finished model showing the fin keel and the larger rudder:

20210628_064956.jpg

and the boat sailing:

img-20210627-wa0008[1].jpg

I'm pretty pleased with the performance although I have no way of comparing it with the original design.

Richard, you are so right! My problem was that, when the sheets are eased the slack isn't necessarily taken up, especially in light winds. The sail control strings could then get tangled with other parts, e.g. the rudder servo. My (rather Heath Robinson) solution was to insert a piece of thin card to separate the sail control mechanism (which is higher in the boat) from the rest of the stuff.

28/06/2021 07:35:18

At the bottom of the photo is the sail arm servo, an inexpensive 180 degree one.  I cut a slot in the bulkhead just forward to allow the full movement of the arm.

Edited By Garth Thompson on 28/06/2021 07:37:45

28/06/2021 07:34:42

I had admired the lines of Jenny, as shown in the thread started by Tony Hadley and he had kindly sent me some further photos of his lovely model. The boat was originally designed by Douglas McGhee and I purchased plans from Sarik.

However I Wanted to make a few modifications. Firstly wanted to hide the sail control within the boat itself (the original shows an arm coming through the hatch. Secondly I replaced the long keel with a fin and lead weight in the hope of improving its sailing performance. In order to do this I had to incorporate a fin box using ply doublers. Thirdly I replaced the nylon stocking reinforcement with lightweight glass and epoxy. Finally I enlarged the rudder slightly.

The inside of the boat before gluing the deck:

20210210_154643[1].jpg

Thread: Jenny
20/11/2020 16:52:14

I've been inspired by the lovely lines of Jenny and have consequently purchased the plans. I'm considering making some alterations and would be interested to hear any comments.

1. I intend to sheath the hull in glass and epoxy rather than the nylon stocking suggested,
  2. If possible I'll mount the sail arm servo inside the hull (it's pretty tight for space but I'm hoping I can figure out a way.)
  3. Filling the keel space with lead shot doesn't seem a great way to ballast the boat. The lead nearest to the hull will hardly be providing any righting moment when she's heeled. I'm considering two options.
  • retain the underwater profile of the boat but add on a cast lead extension to the bottom, taking care to retain the fore and aft weight distribution;
  • scrap the keel and replace it with an aluminium fin and lead bulb held in a keel box formed by plywood doublers inside the boat. Of course this will take up valuable space within the hull.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. Or am I overcomplicating things and would be better to just follow the plan.

Garth

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor