By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Freshney

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Freshney has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Model Boats Covers and Contents
05/09/2019 23:55:10

Hi Ray

Licence?

If I remember correctly it was a few shillings (5p’s) and something you bought at the Post Office. I needed one when I joined the Eastbourne Model Power Boat Club in the late-60’s. I remember the Stavely, Climax, Skyleader, Macgegor radio and others of that era. Sets with lots of toggle switches were still common as well as single channel and you were ‘rich’ if you could afford an early proportional set. As a sixth former, I worked in the frozen pea factory near Polegate and earned enough money in the summer holiday to buy a s/h Staveley set. It took some week’s after the summer holiday for the frostbite to leave my fingers.........

Cheers

Paul

Edited By Paul Freshney on 05/09/2019 23:55:47

05/09/2019 20:53:47

Ray

Is this the beginning of needing again a licence to operate r/c models of all types?

Paul

Edited By Paul Freshney on 05/09/2019 20:56:10

05/09/2019 20:52:04

Ray

I bet it doesn’t remain £16.50 for long ............

Cheers(!) Paul

05/09/2019 18:23:47

Hi Larry (the Long Build)

Further to my earlier post I can confirm that the 'bagging' is done at the printers.

W H Smith charge for everything and actually do very little. They are of course also a major distributor of newspapers etc. as well.

They charge for the self space; they charge extra if you want it at eye height; they charge extra for it being in a special display box with for example a Model Boats 'flash' on it and they will charge extra if you want your magazine to be on the counter beside the till - e.g. Hello magazine etc.

This is why the lowish turnover magazines of all types tend to now be on the knee height shelving and even then, often at the back and hard to find. Finally of course, publishers are at the mercy of the shop staff, who may just stick the new batch of a particular magazine where they can squeeze it in. This is why if you look at the covers of most magazines, they have an attractive bullet point across the top of the front cover and quite often in the top left or top right corner of it as well, because even if a magazine is stacked behind another, these will usually show.

Sadly there is nothing charitable about this business nowadays.

Paul.

05/09/2019 13:34:42

Ian

I have been told by a well-known model boater that the OCTOBER issue of Model Boats on sale at the very end of August had been bagged with a copy of Model Collector in his local W H Smith outlet.

'Bagging' two magazines together is not uncommon across the industry as it is a way of making the casual purchaser think he is getting extra value for money.

The snag comes when it is not clear which is the 'free' magazine.

They are bagged to stop people in W H Smith separating them or nicking one of them.

The other snag is that not necessarily every newstrade outlet will have the bagged copies, some just having conventional single issues on sale.

It is an arrangement made between Marketing/Distribution and W H Smith., but usually the Free Issue is actually out of date as in this case, where since the August MB, there has been September and now October is the current on sale product.

So, for what it is worth, look for Model Collector and you may find MB packaged with it - or perhaps not!

Hope this helps

Paul.

Thread: 2019 model boats special
03/09/2019 20:03:34

Ray

And it was a pleasure receiving/preparing your articles!

Regards

Paul

03/09/2019 18:30:13

Ray

I completely agree with your sentiments about the magazine and getting old!

One of the snags though is that being a magazine Editor is no fun so one needs a range of contributors, some long established and some new, one of the reasons being that 'editing' is the major part of the work.

Those who have written numerous articles before know what is required, whereas quite often new contributors don't and their articles can require a disproportionate amount of work, in what is a limited time availability. I worked on an average of editing 5<6 printed pages per day minimum, but some such as Glynn Guest, John Parker, yourself could be done in 2<3 hours.

I allocated out of the 20 working days in magazine cycle:

2 for holiday on average = 26 a year

1 for bank holidays/meetings = 12 a year

4 for magazine admin'.

13 for editing.

With an average of 60 <70 editorial pages, you can see why one needs 13 working days in each 4 week cycle to prepare a magazine.

Of course it is not quite like that,as the work gets mixed but checking, checking and checking again is an important part of it all.

Part of the art of editing is to put the article into a form with which the designer can readily work. He, or she, will not normally make spelling corrections or change the style, so that has to be right before the article is laid out and designed.

In other words, it is not just a matter of receiving an article, doing a spell check, quick read through and send to the designer. Even the pictures need to be coded and in the right order for insertion (with alternative spares of course) .This is why magazines of all types have a core of regulars together with 'irregulars' to make up the content as it is then easier for an editor, in the case of MB (and others in the group) being largely a one man/woman operation. I had half a designer (effectively he worked for me for 2 weeks in every four) and the advertising guy spent 5 days in the cycle on that side of things.

Regards

Paul.

03/09/2019 16:23:58

Hi all

Perhaps more worrying is that we are devoting forum space to pensions, which must reveal something about the age group of us model boat enthusiasts.....

With regard to Model Boats magazine, when I took over in 2007 from John Cundell, who is still very active and successful in the croquet world, he told me that apart from show/event reports there was nothing generally time sensitive about the articles for Model Boats, nor was there ever any shortage of material provided one kept the key contributors onboard and gave them plenty of notice. Model Boats was/is one of the easiest magazines to produce because virtually nothing needs to be rushed or last minute.

I wish you all well

Paul F.

02/09/2019 21:17:25

Hi Terry and everyone.

The Winter Special which Terry is referring to is the 13th regular issue annually, because Model Boats runs on a 4 week cycle. This is why the on-sale date moves forward through each month as they each pass. It is a bit like the State Pension - it is paid every 4 weeks so one month you get two lots.

The MB Winter Special is normally published between the November and December issues and traditionally was 100 pages rather than the 76 page + a Free Plan, or 84 pages (no Free Plan) of alternate months.

I would expect there will something about it in the November issue on sale end of September/early October.

When I was Editor I started planning for it when the previous years' one was dead and buried the previous December and I had 99% of the material in house by late-July. That way I could have a 'free' 4 weeks from editing. i used to spit it 50:50 between themes that would hopefully appeal to the majority of MB readers. Regulars on here like Dave Milbourn made some fantastic contributions.

There was also some years' ago, from time to time, an extra 'Special' annually (a 14th issue) but not always, and this is perhaps what The Long Build is referring to.

I did not do these, although I could if I wished. Well known modellers such as Glynn Guest and Colin Bishop prepared these for MyTimeMedia, usually with some sort of minor editorial advice from me. These 'Specials' usually had a specific theme and were marketed in much the same way as a What Car 'SUV Special or similar might be promoted.

These Specials were successful and generally sold well, but were NOT included in the annual subscription. They often had better paper and sometimes were bound like a paperback book.

Sadly, times have changed and the entire magazine and newspaper industry is finding it hard as new generations turn to the internet for information rather than the printed word. Forum users may not realise it, but Newstrade outlets such as W H Smith are extremely hard-nosed businesses. Publishers have to pay them to have a regular slot on their shelves and if for example 10 copies of MB are supplied every 4 weeks to your local branch of W H Smith but only 4 were sold, the other six are pulped (not returned to us) and W H Smith take around 40% of the selling price of the 4 sold as well!

When I was Editor, I had access to the EPOS (Electronic Point of Sale) data and also, as it was commonly available in the industry, that of the competitors - in other words we all knew how the others were doing.

This is why magazine publishers are keen to have subscribers, because all the proceeds go directly to them. However, if a magazine like Model Boats is subscription only, then it will die more quickly, because it needs occasional and new purchasers in the high street to create fresh awareness of the product.

I hope this helps to explain how magazine publishing works and why things are as they are nowadays.

In terms of staff, MyTimeMedia is much smaller now than it was, even as recently as 6 years ago.

Best wishes to you all

Paul F. - (Happily retired from MB as Editor (2007 to 2017) and still making scale models!)

Thread: Resin or not to resin, that is the question?
29/11/2018 16:23:26

Chris

Personally I don't like any totally sealed compartment, be it in a hull or superstructure unit. You can guarantee that sooner or later damp or even oil will get into it, even though it is 'sealed' from the outside. Then you have the annoying 'slosh' of liquid inside and no obvious way out. Therefore, there are no totally sealed compartments anywhere on my models, and if of wood, the interior is painted or 'resined'. Having said that, Glynn Guest always leaves his balsa hulls unpainted on their insides, but leaves the hulls 'open' with the superstructures off after a sailing session to dry out if needs be.

Even full-size ships can have problem. Do you remember when HMS illustrious had to be emergency dry-docked because the sealed chamber that allowed filtered seawater into the hull for drawing up into the cooling system was itself leaking into the engine room because the welds had failed. This was a 'sealed' chamber working in reverse.

Buoyancy? Yes polystyrene foam within a hull is a good idea, or even balloons and cut-up swimming floats, if you sail on rough water or there are kamikaze skippers also sailing on your lake! On the other hand, if you build hulls from foam covered resin as does Ron Rees, then the model will float regardless of which way up it is!

Paul.

Thread: New Edda Flora full kit from Germany
24/09/2018 20:46:08

Hi all

It is rare nowadays for really unusual but superlative kits to come on to the market, but this should be one, albeit not cheap, but there again quality never is and Edda Flora is an unusual subject.

https://www.bauer-modelle.com/epages/Bauer_Uwe46269592.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Bauer_Uwe46269592/Products/4.1200

Total cost with drive units etc, is likely to be of the order of 2000 Euros, but I know one of my Fishers Green MBC members has already ordered one - not me I hasten to add!

Judging by their Police Boat Hecht WSP 30/V20 which has stainless steel etched parts and (only!) costs 425 Euros without the extras and which another Fishers Green member has already, the quality will be outstanding.

Paul Freshney

Edited By Colin Bishop on 24/09/2018 21:17:39

Thread: Naval Museum Madrid
25/06/2018 16:28:43

Yes, we thought Cartagena was one of those vastly under-estimated destinations. Our cruise ship only went there because there had been a cock-up with going to Cagliari when Cunard discovered the proposed berth was too shallow for the limits of the ship! >>

The town centre is nice and the cafes very, very reasonable and there is lots of Civil War history with the citadel and underground facilities etc. Tom Sheridan's Port Guide is/was far more useful than any official guide. He does guides for lots of other port style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 9pt;">>destinations worldwide and you can take them with you on your phone.

https://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/cartagena-spain-08-20-2013.pdf

Paul F.

24/06/2018 09:47:10

The Naval and Submarine Museum in Cartagena (Spain) is good as well. Free, at least when we went 2 years ago, well laid out with information in English as well as Spanish. The submarine section has models from the inception of the Spanish Submarine Service to present day and numerous artefacts.

Decent toilets as well and all positioned just by the harbour at the foot of the main shopping street and close to the cruise terminal. Adjacent is the naval base just round the corner.

Cartagena was one of the main bases for the anti-Franco faction in the 1930’s Civil War.

Paul.

Thread: Binding Orange to Spektrum
16/06/2018 18:18:37

Martin

I did not mention that babysitting for our daughter and her partner (they went to a pop concert at the Eden Project last night) for Mrs F and myself, involves a 276 mile drive to Plymouth from Essex and the same to come back....

WRT Spektrum - my DX8 and Dx7 date from late-2010 and mid-2012 respectively. The price now is near enough the same as it was then, which says something about the cost of electronics.The benefit of their having a screen, is that if the binding fails, it says so on that screen and you can also visually see the binding process. Anyway, they have been fine for me, and both had LiPo packs installed early in 2017 to replace the old NiMH packs.

Cheers & good luck (!)

Paul.

16/06/2018 00:18:55

Martin

I am currently not at home, away at our daughter’s, but I think your description of how you see your Orange Rx is correct.

With regard to a receiver, obviously a Spektrum original branded one should always work, but the cheapest is now c£30 or so.

If all else fails, then Al’s Hobbies are now the UK agent for Spektrum and offer a service facility I understand.

A couple of other thoughts:

The Tx and Rx actually will sometimes NOT bind if too close together on the bench. A metre or so apart is best, and the same applies when switching on at the pond side, that is assuming you have got it all working ok at home!

Batteries? If you have flashing lights on the Tx and Rx, then I would guess they are okay.

Finally, I stopped using the oblong orange receivers with a very short aerial (I only paid £4!) because they were/are park flyer, ie relatively short range. Currently I am using the orange 6 channel telemetry enabled receivers in two hulls because at £17.70 each from HobbyKing they are a third of the price of the genuine Spektrum version, one of which came with the Dx8 Tx, These Orange £17.70 receivers have two quite long aerials and are described as ‘full range’.

Very finally, my experience with r/c is that it is handy either to have two of everything, OR to have a friend with the same brand of system, because you can then compare the two to find the fault. For example, you currently don’t know for sure if the Tx or Rx is at fault, even though as you say, the Tx is making all the right light signals/noises and it is probably therefore a receiver problem.

Cheers for now - back to baby sittting...

Paul.

15/06/2018 21:19:56

Martin

I have had no problems whatsover binding a current manufactured Orange receiver to a Spektrum dx6, dx7 or dx8 Tx and have 3 in current use.

I stress the word ‘current’. The current Orange receivers will only work with DSM2 & DSMX protocols, which is the current operating system for Spektrum radios. Older radios, perhaps 5+ years old, were DSM and the newer (current) receivers will not work with the older system and vice-versa.

So, I would suggest you first check that both the receiver and Tx are the same protocol and that will be clear from the specification label on the receiver and the Tx manual/ front/rear cover.

I would also assume you have plugged in the binding plug to the receiver as nothing will happen if that is missing. It has to go in the bind socket and I had one really cheap orange receiver bought from the back of van (yes!) that had the label on back to front.

Finally, if I remember correctly, some early version 1 orange receivers had a button you needed to push, to also facilitate the binding process,

If the answers to the above bring no luck, then I have no idea what is wrong - sorry.

Good luck

Paul Freshney.

Thread: Futaba 6ex
08/06/2018 16:24:46

Hi Jo

One other thought and that is that perhaps the previous owner physically fiddled around inside the Tx and plugged one of the dual axis stick pots into a different socket. Most current Tx’s inside have the stick pots physically plugged into their relevant sockets on the main board inside the Tx body. Thiinking back, I deliberately ‘confused’ a Multiplex Cockpit Tx by physically moving a stick pot connection - this was (for me) much easier than fiddling around with mixes etc to achieve what I wanted some years ago. So maybe, just maybe, it is a physical problem and not electronic, particularly as you have already ‘reset’.

Anyway, just a thought.

Cheers

Paul.

07/06/2018 21:49:36

Jo

If you have the instructions, there will almost certainly somewhere be a  reset facility that puts it back to ex-factory.

Then you can start from scratch with setting it up as you want.

If you do not have the printed instructions, then they will almost certainly be online somewhere.

Good luck

Paul.

Edited By Paul Freshney on 07/06/2018 21:50:28

Edited By Paul Freshney on 07/06/2018 21:51:44

Thread: old electronics
05/06/2018 17:51:05

Mike

Please note that the Fleet ESC(s) are only for brushed motors. They will go 'bang' if connected to a brushless motor, which they can't (!) as brushless motors have three leads and brushed only have two.

I have a 1990's Fleet ESC fitted in my HMS M15 which now uses Spektrum 2.4Ghz DSM2/DSMX transmitter and receiver, and it all works perfectly driving the brushed motors. The 'power' for the brushed motors comes from a 7.4v LiPo pack.

'On demand', a Fleet esc could originally be supplied with a Futaba/Hitec plug, but if intended for a Fleet receiver, they do have the positive and negative wires reversed as Dave M pointed out.

Yes, the Fleet ESC does not have a BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit), so its internal electronics are powered via the receiver power supply. In practice, this means that the motor drive battery, usually a 6<12v SLA or 7.2v NiMH or 7.4v LiPo, can be left connected to the ESC, because when there is no signal/power from the receiver, it is all 'dead' with the power not going anywhere - or at least that is my experience, if the receiver is turned-off via the switch harness. The other big plus with the Fleet ESC's, is that they have a manual adjustment for the power range and neutral via 'pots' on the board inside the case. This means that you can easily set it all up on the bench, without delving into the electronic adjustments of the transmitter.

At the time - 20 years ago - the Fleet Esc's were the Rolls Royce of controllers and priced c£35, fantastically reliable and very smooth from zero to maximum power.

But I reiterate, that they are of course only any good for brushed motors since you mention keeping these ESC's and are intending to change to brushless motors.

Paul Freshney

(Happily retired ex-MB Editor!)

Thread: Adhesive for styrene
16/11/2017 13:09:31

Deluxe Materials have an excellent guide to usage of all their products and suitable applications.

http://deluxematerials.shopapps.co.uk/img/cms/pdfs/DeluxeGlueChart2013.pdf

Products are available online on from most good model shops.

Paul F.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier Thursday
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Premier March
PremierJuly 2019
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor