By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul Freshney

Here is a list of all the postings Paul Freshney has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Happens to Model Boats Magazine Unsold Copies?
15/10/2020 09:36:09

As a previous Editor, 2007 to 2017, I can confirm that all unsold copies in newstrade - principally WH Smith, are pulped once off-sale.

It is not financially worthwhile to pay WH Smith to return them, particularly nearing in mind the huge but now diminishing, range of magazines they normally sell.

As you have gathered, WH Smith doing do anything without being paid!

Normally on a print run, there will be those for newstrade sale (across the world such as WH Smith) plus those for all the currently valid subscriptions with a few spares for those subsequently lost in the post + a few for back issues but the days are long gone of having a room in head office, such as it is, filled with back issues.

In practice, many magazines are often passed-on within a club, so my own club now has the mower shed having a shelf of unwanted but useful, magazines on it.

Paul.

Thread: Cruise Ships - Dawlish Devon
28/09/2020 08:54:40

This website tells you where they are worldwide.

https://www.cruisemapper.com

The ships move around a bit on an intermittent basis .

All you have to do is to keep enlarging the world map but concentrating on the South of England for example and their today current positions become clear.

Paul.

17/09/2020 20:31:37

The P&O cruise liners are Arcadia, Ventura and Azura. P&O have announced today a further extension of their cruise ‘pause’ to January 2021 with some long cruises cancelled through to April 2021.

Cunard intend to bring their 3 ships, QM2, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria back into service at monthly intervals starting around Easter 2021.

Iona, P&O’s new ship was due for delivery in early May this year, but they are taking delivery this month although it has nowhere to go or passengers to go on it.

These ships are anchored here in ‘cold’ lay-up with minimal crews to keep essential machinery working and bridge watches etc. This is somewhat cheaper than being alongside in port doing nothing and of course the chances of infection are low as effectively the crews are in permanent isolation.

Most cruise lines are also taking the opportunity to have some of their ships dry-docked and refreshed during this enforced stoppage and some are disposing of their older ships either by sale or scrapping.

All of Cruise and Maritime’s cruise ships including Marco Polo are being sold, hopefully, at auction as that company is now in administration.

Most keen ‘cruisers’ such as myself and my wife, do not expect any degree of normality to return until mid-2021 at the earliest.

Paul Freshney

Thread: Spektrum radio
23/06/2020 16:19:57

Hi all

A rare posting from me.....

All the manuals can be found online via the website:

http://spektrumrc.com

under 'manuals' in the drop down menus.

I have a DX6i, Dx7s and Dx8, all quite old now (8+ years) and apart from replacing the battery packs they have given stirling trouble-free service.

The user can easily adjust settings on the work bench, the only minor problem being that the default fail-safe is usually neutral, except on the throttle stick where the electronics usually assume an i.c. engine, which only goes one way - forwards - so fail-safe will be with the relevant stick fully downwards and engine 'off'. However, the instructions tell the user how to circumvent this.

In fact if the user selects 'sailplane' - i.e. a glider, the parameters are changed anyway, but not the physical tension and/or ratchet on the throttle stick.

There is notably no model selection for 'boat', so you have to 'cheat' the system.

My Dx7s and Dx8 have the facility that the user can change stick mode, i.e. ratchet or self-centring, by twiddling screws in the outside back of the Tx. I think Gen' 3 Dx6i have that facility as well when checking online, but am not sure.

The safest thing? Fiddle around with it all on the workbench and get it right there, rather than at the pond side.

I have been able to use the RH vertical stick to control a bow door opening and closing from neutral, simply by adjusting the 'throw' of one extremity to zero, thus neutral (hands-off) was the closed position.

Model Match? Yes, that means if you switch on Model A at the TX and the model is actually 'B', nothing will work.

With a memory card you can also transfer all the settings from one Tx to another, if it has that facility.

I have long since abandoned the cheap generic 'orange' short range receivers. The more expensive long-range orange ones are ok though, particularly if used with a small satellite receiver.

I like the telemetry feature of the Tx's when used with appropriate Rx's so you can see motor rpm. battery usage, power demand etc. Alarm warnings can be built in when using Lipo's in the model as well.

Hope this helps

Paul.

Thread: airbrush question
08/02/2020 20:15:55

There was some useful guidance here

https://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=147323

Regards

Paul.

Thread: Peter Miles - RIP
02/01/2020 12:28:49

Hi Everyone

Forum users from North London may remember Peter Miles previously of Broomfield MBC and more recently of Fishers Green SC Model Boat Section.

He sadly passed away just before Christmas after a short illness. He had been active in my club (FGSC) until the Spring of 2019. He built some interesting model boats including a working r/c stern-wheeler and was a regular at our pond. He liked to include figures where possible on his models. In spite of walking with the aid of a stick, he preferred to manage putting his models into, and out of the the water, on his own and was always cheerful even when it became clear he was no longer well.

Rip - Peter.

Paul Freshney.

Thread: Three motors, three ESCs, on one channel using one battery
26/12/2019 18:30:02

Hi QQ

You did not say if you are intending using BRUSHED or BRUSHLESS motors, a question Ashley has asked.

If using BRUSHED:

Then, as a thought, if all 3 escs are being controlled by one channel and supplied by one battery, why not use just one esc to control all 3 motors? Obviously the esc needs to be rated such that it can cope with all 3 motors at maximum power drain, but that simplifies it all. All you need to do is split the esc's output leads to the three motors.

I have always, with twin BRUSHED motors used just one esc, the advantage being that both motors stop and start at the same time. With two (or three) esc's, inevitably because of micro electronic manufacturing differences, they will all perform slightly differently, usually at low speed.

With BRUSHLESS motors:

You are into a different ball-game but as the other guys have said you can do it - My Aveley on another thread on this forum has a photo of its insides with two BRUSHLESS controllers connected to one channel and both supplied by the same battery. If it had three shafts I would have done the same.

Hope this helps

Happy Boxing Day and New Year!

Paul.

Thread: Airbrush Kit
06/12/2019 09:58:11

Hi all

The link to the Bambi compressor in my earlier posting does not seem to work.

It is:

https://www.airsupplies.co.uk/bambi-pt15-oil-free-air-compressor

It is not cheap at around £400, but mine has run faultlessly for 6 years now and for many, many hours and it is easy to drain the tank. As it can 'compress' easily to 115psi safely, that means there is plenty of air for blowing away dust and pumping up car tyres!

Paul Freshney

05/12/2019 12:50:15

Hi

For what it is worth:

I use, and have used for many years, A Badger Crescendo 175 Double Action Airbrush fitted with the largest nozzle/jet and needle it comes with. That is the only needle/jet/nozzle I have ever used with Humbrol paints. For a compressor I currently use a Bambi Oil Free Piston Compressor:

**LINK**

Actually, my version is the previous example but it has been 100% reliable for 6 years and I do a lot of spray painting. It is not totally silent, but very, very quiet. There are alternatives in the range which are based around the refrigerator silent type. This compressor sits in the corner of my workshop. It does not run continuously as the tank holds enough pressurised air for up to 5 mins or so of continuous painting.

The compressor outlet is connected via a hose under my workbench to a second regulator and water trap on the right side of the bench (I am right handed) which has a Y outlet. This enables a ‘blow gun’ to be attached as well as the airbrush. Pressure at this regulator is normally set to 30psi, which drops to around 25psi when the airbrush is in use. The blow gun clears any dust away.

There is a high-volume extractor to the outside fitted in the ceiling similar to what you would have in a shower room. I am fortunate, in that Bedroom 4 and its adjacent shower room sit behind my garage and of course this bedroom is actually my 10 x 8ft workshop.

The extractor is of this type:

**LINK**

Humbrol Enamels are sprayed at 1:1, using standard white spirit. The synthetic quick drying thinners are ok, but on large items, e.g. a hull, the paint at one end will be dry before you get to the other, whereas with white spirit the drying process is a bit slower. Ideally one wants everything ‘wet’ at the same time for a decent even finish.

A face mask is essential, as is a jacket of some sort. For the jacket I use a white pharmacist type coat and for a mask I use a Gerson-9000E-Series-Respirator.

I use Halfords aerosol Plastic Primer for priming everything except fine metal parts.

I replace the mask’s pre-filters after each major spraying project – such as my recent HMS Aveley.

When in ‘painting’ mode the benches are covered with newspaper, and a vertical board put behind the spray area on the bench. I ‘water’ the paper before spraying as this ‘lays’ any residual dust or overspray that is not extracted.

When the job is done, I clean the tools and exit the workshop. If the painting job has gone wrong which sometimes it does, it is fatal to try to remedy it whilst the paint is wet.

Anyway, this is what I do, it works for me and has worked well for many years as others may testify who know my models.

I wish you well.

Paul Freshney

Thread: HMS Aveley
02/12/2019 15:53:13

Hi all

Here are three photos of HMS Aveley on the water on Sunday 1st December. It is built as in the 1950's.

p1020759 copy.jpg

p1020756 copy.jpg

p1020750 copy.jpg

The two 300KV brushless motors running on a 7.4v LiPo give a slightly over-scale top speed at full throttle which is fine by me and they are controllable down to watching the propellers literally just slowly 'clicking' over,

Only 13% of the 4000mAh 7.4v LiPo capacity was used during 80 mins of constant sailing.

Apart from some sundry ex-military tyres to be added to the deck as ready-use fenders, that is it. These tyres are being 3D printed by Shapeways from their stock range just now. The over the counter rubber versions tend to be a bit toy-like once you get down to around 1 inch diameter (= 35 inches in full-size).

A fellow club member queried the size of the rowing boat - it is 14 feet long in scale terms and near-enough matches the one on the plan size for size. It is a slightly modified resin casting from Quaycraft via Cornwall Model Boats. I have discovered on Shapeways there are some 3D printed rowing boats in various scales inc. 1/35, but they are somewhat more expensive.

The obvious compromise is the cable supports for the two derricks behind the superstructure. On full-size they were rigid tubular beams set into the top of the superstructure. Mine are thin cord and hooks as access to the interior is needed for charging and general checking of the mechanics and therefore the superstructure needs to come-off from time to time.

On the whole I am pleased with it and HMS Aveley makes a change from HDML's and torpedo boats and at just under 36 inches long it is a handy and manageable size, something we all have to think about if we are getting older....

Next project will be a workboat catamaran.

Paul.

Thread: Ton class minesweeper
15/11/2019 09:12:14

Yes, Colin is 100% correct.

Humbrol Satin Grey No.127 is a very good match for post-WW2 RN warships. HMS Aveley in another thread on this forum is painted in that colour and she was of course of the same era as the Ton Class which likewise had wooden hulls, except HMS Wilton built later of GRP.

HMS Aveley''s grey is actually dry-brushed over the base colour with Grey No. 27 to highlight edges/wear etc plus the rear portion either side was usually part-covered with soot but i didn't have the nerve to do that. That is why some of these inshore craft had black hulls later in their service lives.

The only snag is you cannot buy large tins of the Humbrol colour but I buy mine in boxes of six direct from Humbrol (Hornby) so you receive them all of the same batch.

Paul.

Thread: HMS Aveley
14/11/2019 18:05:22

As mentioned earlier -

Andy Pardew has a website.

https://www.waypointmodels.com

He will take commissions but does have another job. i understand he is 3D printing (for himself) a scale r/c model battleship's superstructure.

He uses a different plastic from that of Shapeways, although the end result when painted is much the same.

Mark Hawkins has a huge range via Shapeways and if you go into their website, provided you choose the right search words, other designer's products can be found.

For example, obtaining RB Models miniature shackles is virtually impossible at the moment even from model military vehicle manufacturers, but via Shapeways you can obtain 3D printed tiny versions. Okay, not load-bearing like brass ones, but if just being featured on a model for effect they are perfectly okay and relatively inexpensive.

Paul.

14/11/2019 09:19:55

Charlie

Ron Rees had a 3D article in MB some years ago - I am not sure when but 4<5 years ago is about right I think.

I use Mark Hawkins, an experienced and excellent model boat builder in his own right to create the necessary files for Shapeways to print. HJe is able to do what would take me weeks of fiddling about in a matter of days.

All the Aveley (and my previous model (HMS Bicester) 3D parts are on his website in various scales.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dboats?section=1%2F72&s=0&page%5Bnumber%5D=4&page%5Blimit%5D=48&page%5Border%5D=asc

In my club is a guy, Alan Pardew of Waypoint Models, who also does 3D printing of fittings, but he has a full-time job so is not able to undertake major design work quickly, but his Carley Floats are excellent.

Cheers

Paul.

Edited By Colin Bishop on 14/11/2019 10:36:55

13/11/2019 18:43:41

And a bit more to add to what Colin put up. The deck is single diagonal planked over a sub-deck and is correct according to photos of the original. The davits are also 3D printed, the drawings and my measurements being converted by Mark Hawkins into a 3D printable file for Shapeways.The rubber dinghies are 3D printed by Waypoint who adjusted the size to match my requirements. They could equally have been Carley Floats, but these look better.

HMS Aveley still needs a ‘canvas’ windbreak around the stanchions on top of the superstructure – I have bought the material for this on my way home from Eastbourne this afternoon after visiting mum. The material purchased is similar to that used for BECC flags.

The Bofors 40mm is correctly scaled – photos of the full-size vessel show that it was indeed somewhat large for the hull. Handrails through the deck edge stanchions are 0.4mm clear fishing line, painted with a black permanent marker before installation. The motors are Cosmo – bought via Engel Submarines more than a year ago but are ‘360’ size (28mm dia.), about 30 Euros each, three times more powerful than the old huge geared Decaperms of year’s past and minute in size comparison. The figures are from an Italeri 1:35 Vosper accessory pack, slightly modified. They are ok as this warship was in service in the mid-1950’s when duffel coats and woolly hats were still in vogue. In summary, you don’t see these 1950’s Ley and Ham Class Mine Sweepers and Hunters on the water very often, the only other one I have seen was HMS Portchester with a black hull a few years’ ago.

Paul F.

13/11/2019 18:39:45

Dave – you ask about telemetry.

The telemetry facility is built into the Spektrum DX8 transmitter and the ‘Orange’ receiver from Hobby King has all the required ports. You can buy the necessary leads/electronic gizmos for rpm measuring and current drawn from the same source or Spektrum itself (but much more expensive). The battery voltage is measured via a simple lead in parallel with the battery power leads connected direct to the receiver. The Orange full-range receivers and sundries all work 100% okay with Spektrum in my experience.

Paul F

Thread: Resin or not to resin, that is the question?
29/11/2018 16:23:26

Chris

Personally I don't like any totally sealed compartment, be it in a hull or superstructure unit. You can guarantee that sooner or later damp or even oil will get into it, even though it is 'sealed' from the outside. Then you have the annoying 'slosh' of liquid inside and no obvious way out. Therefore, there are no totally sealed compartments anywhere on my models, and if of wood, the interior is painted or 'resined'. Having said that, Glynn Guest always leaves his balsa hulls unpainted on their insides, but leaves the hulls 'open' with the superstructures off after a sailing session to dry out if needs be.

Even full-size ships can have problem. Do you remember when HMS illustrious had to be emergency dry-docked because the sealed chamber that allowed filtered seawater into the hull for drawing up into the cooling system was itself leaking into the engine room because the welds had failed. This was a 'sealed' chamber working in reverse.

Buoyancy? Yes polystyrene foam within a hull is a good idea, or even balloons and cut-up swimming floats, if you sail on rough water or there are kamikaze skippers also sailing on your lake! On the other hand, if you build hulls from foam covered resin as does Ron Rees, then the model will float regardless of which way up it is!

Paul.

Thread: New Edda Flora full kit from Germany
24/09/2018 20:46:08

Hi all

It is rare nowadays for really unusual but superlative kits to come on to the market, but this should be one, albeit not cheap, but there again quality never is and Edda Flora is an unusual subject.

https://www.bauer-modelle.com/epages/Bauer_Uwe46269592.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Bauer_Uwe46269592/Products/4.1200

Total cost with drive units etc, is likely to be of the order of 2000 Euros, but I know one of my Fishers Green MBC members has already ordered one - not me I hasten to add!

Judging by their Police Boat Hecht WSP 30/V20 which has stainless steel etched parts and (only!) costs 425 Euros without the extras and which another Fishers Green member has already, the quality will be outstanding.

Paul Freshney

Edited By Colin Bishop on 24/09/2018 21:17:39

Thread: Naval Museum Madrid
25/06/2018 16:28:43

Yes, we thought Cartagena was one of those vastly under-estimated destinations. Our cruise ship only went there because there had been a cock-up with going to Cagliari when Cunard discovered the proposed berth was too shallow for the limits of the ship! >>

The town centre is nice and the cafes very, very reasonable and there is lots of Civil War history with the citadel and underground facilities etc. Tom Sheridan's Port Guide is/was far more useful than any official guide. He does guides for lots of other port style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 9pt;">>destinations worldwide and you can take them with you on your phone.

https://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/cartagena-spain-08-20-2013.pdf

Paul F.

24/06/2018 09:47:10

The Naval and Submarine Museum in Cartagena (Spain) is good as well. Free, at least when we went 2 years ago, well laid out with information in English as well as Spanish. The submarine section has models from the inception of the Spanish Submarine Service to present day and numerous artefacts.

Decent toilets as well and all positioned just by the harbour at the foot of the main shopping street and close to the cruise terminal. Adjacent is the naval base just round the corner.

Cartagena was one of the main bases for the anti-Franco faction in the 1930’s Civil War.

Paul.

Thread: Binding Orange to Spektrum
16/06/2018 18:18:37

Martin

I did not mention that babysitting for our daughter and her partner (they went to a pop concert at the Eden Project last night) for Mrs F and myself, involves a 276 mile drive to Plymouth from Essex and the same to come back....

WRT Spektrum - my DX8 and Dx7 date from late-2010 and mid-2012 respectively. The price now is near enough the same as it was then, which says something about the cost of electronics.The benefit of their having a screen, is that if the binding fails, it says so on that screen and you can also visually see the binding process. Anyway, they have been fine for me, and both had LiPo packs installed early in 2017 to replace the old NiMH packs.

Cheers & good luck (!)

Paul.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor