By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul T

Here is a list of all the postings Paul T has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: TYNE Class Lifeboat build
19/07/2020 10:58:45

Neil

You are exactly right about it being nuts and trust a teacher to be the one that points it out.

Z space has entirely the wrong polarity for the storage of electrical equipment.

Paul

18/07/2020 20:44:49

Sorry Neil but its Colin's fault for postulating the changes in reality that has taken over your thread. thinking

18/07/2020 20:41:38

Colin

Why didn't I think of wormholes.

I can store an infinite number of items in an infinite number of shelves in my wormhole workshop and all I need to worry about is causing a rift in the space/time continuum , which is a small price to pay for infinite storage.

But we have a responsibility to the storage auction programmes that proliferate in the tv schedules as without a time machine or Tardis they won't be able to continue or move the massive amounts of stock through time.

Perhaps we should use Z space instead of wormholes, as a virtual space this has an endless capacity to create workshops and storage without risking ripping a hole in reality.

This could well be the secret of the yellow storage units that are springing up all over the UK.

How do you patent an idea that applies to a time machine, I presume that you would have to travel back in time to the first patent office and club/batter your way to the front of the queue.

Paul

18/07/2020 19:52:52

Neil

I have a solution to the problem of the cluttered workshop...get a new workshop.

This has worked well for me over the past 20 years unfortunately I have run out of garden so I can not build any new workshop or storage spaces.

At some point I will have to open up the old workshops and clear them out, but it will be like opening Pandora's box....all those tools and models that you haven't seen in years. You just can't get rid of them so you need a solution.

A new workshop!

ouroboros

Thread: BRUTUS MK 11
18/07/2020 19:28:30

Captain Bob

That is a very good idea, simple, practical and a very clever use of existing equipment.

Paul

18/07/2020 18:17:28

You could also check the positions of the rudder posts against the C/L of the prop shafts.

18/07/2020 15:13:12

Hello Bob

Your reference point is where the waterline intersects the transom.

brutus waterline.jpg

Paul

16/07/2020 15:19:31

Thinking alike again.

There is a missile cassette on MK1 between the Rail Gun and the main superstructure (it looks like block of chocolate).

brutus hires 4.jpg

Whilst going through the file I came across this very early mockup demonstrating dazzle camouflagebrutus warship.jpg

16/07/2020 14:27:45

Arr! Capt'n Bob

Avast ye lubber, yo ho ho and a bottle of sanatogen, with this talk of cannon you make it sound like a pirate galleon instead of a 2050 warship, mind you I do like the shape of the turret.

As we live in enlightened times here is my version of a pirate flag ..

The Jilly Rodger kulou

Paul

Edited By Paul T on 16/07/2020 14:31:06

Thread: John Cobb's Crusader
16/07/2020 11:56:01

Hi Ashley

Your problem with the Cobb is simply down to power as this hull design requires a lot of grunt to get it out of the water, once the surface adhesion has been broken the Cobb needs less power to keep it on the plane. There is a thrust to weight calculation but it is very complex as it involves water & air temperature, water surface adhesion and humidity

You can reduce the water adhesion by getting the 'wet' areas of the hull and sponsons as smooth as possible then apply a silicone polish, reduce the weight of the model as much as you can and try pushing more power through the 50mm unit or go back to the 64

Back when I designed my Cobb I had the advantage of jet power as opposed to EDF, with masses of thrust the problem was stopping the boat from becoming airborne.

The Bluebirds design is totally different and requires far less power.

The rudder is next to useless so I added two more on the back of the sponsons.

Hope this makes sense

Paul

15/07/2020 15:21:19

Hello Bob

I don't like pouring cold water on your ideas as its not the way that friends act especially as you have such an amazing imagination, I had envisaged wings looking like a USA submarine dive planes being fitted midway on MK2s bow.

The mockup that you have done is very similar to what I did on MK1 so it goes to prove that great minds do think alike, I actually prefer your version as it does look very futuristic.

Its a little late now but after your rudder comments I have devised a bow mounted rudder that would fit below where your rubbing strake is.

Paul

15/07/2020 12:45:49

Captain Bob

I don't know how you do it either but you do have a very fertile imagination.

Yes wings would be a novelty but my rusty slide rule informs me that to provide any lift each wing would need to be 150mm long and 100mm from leading to trailing edge and you would need some very serious motors to reach 'flying' speed.

Oddly enough your imagination isn't far off the mark.

You might find the following pictures interesting, MK1 had two bow mounted torpedo tubes mounted within the small wing fitted just above the waterline, although it didn't provide any lift this fixture also doubled up as a very effective spray deflector.

brutus hires 4.jpg
brutus 008.jpg

brutus 30th 11.jpg

brutus 30th 4.jpg

Paul

Thread: MTB 49
14/07/2020 14:23:08

Hi Mike

Have you seen this website link

The Gloucester & District club link have a nice 49 image791.jpg

The chaps on these sites might also have valuable insight into your problem

Paul

Edited By Paul T on 14/07/2020 14:41:47

14/07/2020 13:50:02

Hi Mike

Re the photos I presumed that was the case but I thought a little clarification might help the membership. Interesting to see that you use Cascamite Structural, how would you rate its performance?

Back to your problem, there are only two conclusions that can be drawn from this, either you have misread the plans or, more likely, the plans are incorrect.

As Charles pointed out some of the older drawings were 'simplified', although I don't know why they did this as all it did was overcomplicate the build.

It would help if we could see some photos of the plan then we might be able to resolve your problem, to aid us in this, when taking the photos, could you place a ruler on the drawings so that we can establish a predictable scale.

I appreciate that this is a long winded process but in the absence of physically being in the same room as both boat and plan it is the best method to establish the criteria from which we might determine the solution.

Paul

14/07/2020 12:03:59

Hi Mike

The reason behind my original question about being specific about MTB 49 as there is a discrepancy between MTB 49 and the photos in your album.

I have copied the photo and highlighted the areas that dont fit with MTB 49, a squat superstructure at the stern and, from this angle, the bow seems to be a different shape.

mtb 49 mike.jpg

All the best

Paul

13/07/2020 20:18:26

Hello Michael

You have had that plan for some time.

Carrying on being clear about your problem, it will help to know where the error is so I hope you don't mind if we ask some basic questions.

Please understand that these questions are not a reflection on your abilities they just help us focus on the problem.

The first obvious question is: did you build the hull, wheelhouse, deck all from the same plan?

Second question is: did you buy any pre-made parts (like the hull)

Paul

13/07/2020 18:26:11

Hello Michael

Just so everyone is clear is this the right boat.

mtb 49.jpgmtb 49 2.jpg

If so then try the Vic Smeed design Thorneycroft MTB MM337 link

Paul

Edited By Paul T on 13/07/2020 18:43:58

Thread: A blast from the past
13/07/2020 18:20:03

Nice to see it again

13/07/2020 18:19:01

Hello Bob

The rubbing strake is an interesting addition to the design and something that I considered on MK1.

You will remember that there was some discussion about spray rails on MK1 and if you follow the chine on MK2 your rubbing strakes will meet half way up the bow and become very effective spray rails.

Paul

12/07/2020 17:39:06

Bob

2oz isn't worth bothering about, you have built a lovely model and there is no need to alter it.

Paul

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Sarik
Shrek
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor