By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul T

Here is a list of all the postings Paul T has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Great Eastern
03/07/2021 18:19:20

Sorry my old friend, I am something of a numpty when it comes to writing things down, what I wrote could easily be taken as a ships launch, at 61 I still find that the English language can be a minefield, there are to many words that have two or more meanings.

Thread: Todays Boating
03/07/2021 18:09:59

Just to demonstrate how feeble my mind has become, I have just realised that this thread is over 10 years old.

Ashley is now retired and drawing his huge pension and Berengar is a grown adult.

The longevity of this thread is down to Ashleys persistence in building unusual projects and his love of manmade board.

Just imagine what the next 10 years will bring, Ashley will have a knighthood for his contribution to the hardboard industry him being the driving force behind a flying car that can land on water.

If only I had £1 for every word that Ashley has written.

03/07/2021 17:55:27

Hello Captain Bob

The Great Eastern failed launch when it became stuck due to part of the slipway collapsing.

Paul

03/07/2021 17:30:12

Sorry Bob but it is only a digital creation of what GE could have looked like, I do like the timber panelling in the huge engine room, it makes it look like a gentleman's study rather than a baking hot engine room.

I enjoyed researching into GE an how we discovered the reasons behind the failed launch, at the time it must have seemed akin to Spacex developing reusable launch vehicles as the very latest cutting edge technology.

Brunel was an amazing engineer and achieved with a pencil what modern ship designers need a huge bank of computers to create.

Thread: Trumpeter 1:200 Titanic
03/07/2021 17:19:17

I have had a punt but being careful as there are no photos of the contents, the chap has 100% feedback and looks to be a genuine seller but you know the problem with things that seem to good to be true,

Its a bit of a trot to Blackburn to argue over a half empty box.

03/07/2021 12:15:59

But have you placed a bid?

03/07/2021 12:13:05

Bob Brunel

You might find these images interesting.

Firstly cable storage in the GE LINK

Secondly a digital cutaway of the GE in its glory days LINK

02/07/2021 17:21:38

One has been listed on Ebay for £275 link pick up from Blackburn

30/06/2021 21:54:43

It one of the advantages of setting up my computer for alerts every time a Trumpter is advertised on facebook, ebay, gumtree

Thread: Those Eureka moments!
30/06/2021 18:53:31

It looks like your book is already half written, add some more blurb and loads of photos, most of which are already contained within your postings on this forum, and you will have a best seller.

Thread: All my model boat builds history
30/06/2021 18:27:20

Your Newton clamps are exactly the kind of practical solutions that make you unique. Just imagine a book full of similar examples,

I would buy a copy just for the practical solutions and the head scratching that would follow as I tried to figure out how you did it, or better still the simple realisation of 'why didn't I think of that'.

30/06/2021 16:28:57

Bob

It is the teeth curling methods that I am talking about, you have demonstrated amazing abilities to overcome every problem with unique solutions.

To many of us these solutions are more imposable than the problems, and yet they always work.

For example using weighted string to hold difficult joints while the glue sets, and I'm not going to mention the paired motors.

Paul

30/06/2021 14:19:13

I have bought another 1:200 Titanic so now I have four.

This unopened one came up for £160, which was just to good to miss, so I have a load of spares or a complete kit to sell when the other three are finished.

Sorry Bob as its not much of a progress report.

30/06/2021 14:13:15

Captain Bob

You should write a book about current methods of scratch building, similar to what Vic Smeed did but with modern tools and materials.

You could cover how to read plans, the use of power/hand tools, materials, modern adhesives and paints.

The correct use of a building board and the different methods of construction.

Just like your building blogs on this forum but refined for the beginner.

Your levels of knowledge and the practical application of skills are fast dying out and should really be passed on to the younger generations.

Paul

28/06/2021 18:49:02

Ashley

This looks like a prime opportunity for a unique Ashley designed Weed Cutter/ Shredder.

Paul

28/06/2021 18:45:05

Captain Bob

If you email the PNG files to me I will convert them to JPEG and email them back to you.

Paul

28/06/2021 10:36:53

I remember those parties and the poor swine who hadn't got a 'puncture' type of can opener and trying to open a Party 7 with a hammer and rusty nail.

Oddly enough the contents tasted better for the addition of rust.

27/06/2021 16:57:38

The picture of the Arches is the one I was looking for, its really very good.

When Bob was building Brutus he wasn't aware of the true intention behind the design, Bobs construction and testing of the hull were all part of a process to produce a design for the Warship 2050 project.

I was very greatful to Bob and his totaly unbiased construction and testing as his work enabled me to fine tune the design.

brutus 30th 4.jpg

brutus 30th 1.jpg

brutus 30th 11.jpg

brutus 30th 17.jpg

27/06/2021 16:47:26

Ashley

Up here we are a little more canny in our mineral knowledge and aren't as gullible as you southerners, we wouldn't fall for the conman's iron pyrite. But what can we expect from a section of the population who drink Watneys Red Barrel and those terrible Party 7 things.

Malcolm

Only a northern farmer could be stubborn enough to force a motorway to split to avoid his farm.

Richard

Its the old saying of it raining for 40 days and 40 nights being a summer up north.

26/06/2021 21:13:29

No, sadly my memory is worse than yours.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
SLEC
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor