By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul T

Here is a list of all the postings Paul T has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fairey Huntsman
19/07/2021 20:51:24

The fog is slowly lifting

Dave sent me his CAD data in early 2019 and asked me to check for inaccuracies, which I did, but I told him that I would need the CNC cutting files to make an accurate comparison.

To be honest I lost the plot when Jane passed in August 2019 and just assumed that Dave had resolved the problem as he didn't mention it again, Between my problem and Daves declining health the Huntress fell between the cracks, so as you can imagine this thread has come as a bit of a shock, Dave didn't mention it when we were discussing his other projects,

Incidently I have his bare bones prototype small scale Perkasa sat in the workshop but can't muster the courage to complete it.

Paul

19/07/2021 20:03:52

Colin

I wouldn't have thought that you would change any of Daves specifications which is why I wanted to eliminate the obvious. I also doubt that you took to much meat off the bow blocks, or at least enough to produce such a drastic change in trim.

I appreciate your comment about having to accept it but we both know that Dave would be like a dog with a bone and gnaw away at the problem until he solved it.

I agree that the design has very narrow tolerances and that Dave classified his design as 'challenging' but I still wouldn't have expected the same report of bow heavy trim coming from so many experienced builders.

Did you build your version from the final production plans and kit?

Tim

I agree that the results reported by so many is not what was expected and far from what Dave intended, if we accept that the experienced builders on this forum all followed the same design, using the same tolerances and identical or very similar equipment then we should be seeing a greater degree of success.

All

So we come to point where we have to consider that the production drawings are wrong and that an error crept in somewhere between Daves original prototype and the final printed drawings. Alternatively it is also possible that the materials provided with the retail kit could have been inaccurately produced.

I didn't experience any problems when I built a second test prototype for Dave but I was using Daves original drawings and one of the first 'test' kits.

To test this theory it would be necessary to disassemble a prototype and compare it directly with production kit, which given that so many kits have been sold is a little like locking the stable door after the horse bolted.

Sorry to ramble on but I spent some time collaborating with Dave on this and other projects and I would, in some way be letting him down if I ignored the problem.

Paul

Edited By Paul T on 19/07/2021 20:04:53

19/07/2021 18:05:44

Dear All

This might be a silly question to ask experienced model builders but Dave expected this 'bow down' problem to arise and anticipated the three sets of circumstances that would lead to incorrect trim.

Either to much timber would be removed from the bow (as Colin stated) the plans were not followed correctly or substitute equipment had been installed.

Whilst Dave admitted that there was little that he could do to remedy the first situation but he was very specific about the internal gubbins and he was very careful to match internal equipment to the hull and spent a long time checking the trim to ensure the boat sat level when at rest.

An obvious question is, are you all using the correct equipment as specified by Dave and are the big lumpy bits in their correct designed positions.

Paul

Thread: Todays Boating
15/07/2021 10:28:28

Watch the skies with Fox Needham

Thread: Great Eastern
14/07/2021 17:42:02

Hello Bob

The level of the highest expected spring tides would have been level with the GE keel during construction.

Ashley.

To our eyes it looks crude but Brunel was very aware of the problems surrounding the launch and he never intended a 'splash' style of launch, as this could damage the ship if it hit the bottom of the river and the resulting wave would cause chaos in the yards on the opposite bank.

His method was actually well thought out as he intended to slide the ship down the launch ramps at low tide and then let the rising tide lift the ship off its launching cradles. The design angle of the launching ramps was very carefully worked out to give the hull a controllable velocity that required a minimum of energy to start the hull sliding without needing to much force to stop the hull at the end of the ramps.

Brunel had carefully trained the launching crew on the step by step procedures that they would have to follow, he also worked out a system of whistle blasts that would control the actions of the various crews during the launch.

Paul

BTW some countries do splash launch their nuclear submarines sideways into the water.

Thread: Revell 1:72 HMCS Snowberry
13/07/2021 19:43:03

Dear All

As you can tell I am trying to be non specific as i didn't choose the equipment, I am sorry to fudge around the point but I have great respect for the original builder and don't want to bring his decisions into question.

Paul

13/07/2021 14:14:30

Hi Rich

Sorry but only just seen your question,

The motor is a little MFA 4.5 volt and I fitted a small 4 blade plastic prop, the prop isn't to scale but provides enough power.

I used the depth charge equipment mounted on a removable deck plate to act as the rudder hatch.

Paul

11/07/2021 15:22:33

Ashley

Re Transport.

I gave up lwb 4x4s in favour of people carriers, no problem parking and with the seats laid flat you get a great storage/transport vehicle.

Current car is a 2 year old Hyundai i800 that I've had since new, even my largest planes will go in the back.

Paul

Thread: First Models
11/07/2021 14:47:32

My first boat kit was a Landing Craft and Sherman Tank double kit

09/07/2021 17:31:24

Its a shame that using models in film work isn't as prolific as it used to be.

I remember writing to Mastermodels link in 1970 (I was 11) and asking them if I could work there after I finished education in 1976.

A very nice letter came back from the MD with lots of photos showing models that they made for Gerry Anderson.

Paul

09/07/2021 16:46:34

Hi Ashley

Thank you for a trip down memory lane

In many ways my younger self preferred Stingray to Thunderbirds, the main attraction was Stingray itself.

I always wanted a Stingray toy and my local toy shop had a 3ft one in the window for £10.10 shillings,which is something like £160 in todays money.

Back in 1968 our little village was blessed with 2 toy shops,the one with the Stingray had a decent range of Airfix kits and the shop next door sold Revell and Frog, I was a regular in both shops.

The shop owner had noticed that hadn't bought any kits from him for a while and when he asked me why I explained that I was saving up for the Stingray. he offered to put the Stingray to one side whilst I saved up the money and even offered to reduce the price to £9.00.

He was a really nice chap and often included a tube of glue when I bought a kit from him.

I could never save enough from my pocket money and paper round to buy the Stingray but I did try.

Very happy days.

Just seen your post, I only ever knew it as the Terror Fish but I loved the way Gerry made the fish and Stinray leap out of the water.

Paul

Edited By Paul T on 09/07/2021 16:49:36

09/07/2021 13:48:48

Its understandable for Ashley to save the photos for his boat magazine, if he didn't the mag would be lacking in suitable eye candy.

Thread: John Cobb,
08/07/2021 17:53:01

This thread might be helpful LINK

08/07/2021 12:51:10

The Jetex plan is here LINK but this particular plan is copyrighted by Jetex

Thread: K40 Laser
06/07/2021 12:36:06

Hi Red

Thank you for the advice, I got all of the safety equipment when I bought the K40 and follow a strict procedure when using the machine.

This little CNC is just for cutting and contouring Nylon so the laser pack will stay in its box.

The CNC will be linked in to the workshops extract system and as usual I will be using a P3 mask and safety specs.

Paul

05/07/2021 17:26:47

Hi Captain Bob

Its only a small bed machine but its ideal for the bits I want to make.

The machine came with an upgraded motor, a laser unit and a load of cutting bits.

Paul

05/07/2021 16:29:25

Hi Ashley

Yes its a CAD cutty out thingy, more commonly know to grown ups as a CNC machine.wink

It is for cutting and 3D sculpting Nylon for engine mounts, firewalls and servo mounts, I use Nylon as it is stronger than 3D Printer filament.

Paul

05/07/2021 15:50:14

Guess what I bought today.

209277508_4110285735758576_4651375117338683385_n.jpg

Thread: Great Eastern
04/07/2021 14:33:44

In many ways all of those involved received their 'just desserts'

The life of the Great Eastern reads more like Dickensian novel than a straight forward account of a ship, during research you get drawn in to the twists and turns as the major players try to out manoeuvre each other.

03/07/2021 19:56:22

History records that Brunel was not only up against a penny pinching board of directors but also suffering from a shipyard owner who was syphoning off funds to support his ailing business.

Brunel designed the slipway and specified what we would describe as high grade concrete, but without his knowledge or agreement the specification was reduced resulting in part of the slipway collapsing under the weight of GE as she was launched.

The collapse caused the launching cradles to ground on the damaged slipway which resulted in the ship twisting during launch.

Brunel had included some massive winches and jacks as part of the launching process but his calculations didn't allow for a sub standard slipway.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor