By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul T

Here is a list of all the postings Paul T has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: BRUTUS MK 11
01/07/2020 13:26:54

We were tool mad in those days

Yes but we bought with care and looked after them, far different from the throw away attitude today

Thread: K40 Laser
01/07/2020 13:02:51

Hi Bob

Yes I did, as I needed to fund something else but part of the changed circumstances was also having to make room for the bigger planes.

Besides it would have been rude not to take up Sariks offer as a 15% discount is a sizeable chunk off the retail price.

Paul

01/07/2020 12:54:18

Back to an age when tools were an investment and lasted a life time.

For example to buy this one today would cost £67 but it is a beautifully made piece of equipment.

How many forum members under 40 can tell us what it is?

marples.jpg

Thread: K40 Laser
01/07/2020 12:42:36

Recieved an email from Sarik Hobbies offering 15% discount on short kits so the Barclaycard took a battering and I ordered an 80in Mosquito.

p-8496-0008947_dh98-mosquito-prxvi-81-plan-laser-cut-wood-pack-and-parts-set.jpeg

01/07/2020 12:29:08

Bob

Here is another chance for a master class as you could explain to Kevin what that strange looking wooden tool is for.

Is that a pencil that you have in it?

I doubt that 1 in 50 people young people could even guess at what it is.

Paul

Thread: My Time Media. Model Boats Magazine.
01/07/2020 12:03:30

Poor Lindsey will get bombarded with valuation questions.

So I will get in first.....I have a mint, in its origonal box, Corgi 238 mid green MK X Jag (1965)

30/06/2020 16:32:42

Sorry Bob but my experience with brushless is only good for aircraft and drones, but the ones that you fitted in MK1 could have used just a little more power to move the extra weight that I added.

Paul

30/06/2020 16:03:07

Hello Bob

The brushless motors that were fitted to MK1 should be fine in MK2 for slow to moderate speed but to get the best response from MK2 I would encourage you to upgrade the motors to a more powerful pair.

You don't have to use the extra power at Etherow but you might visit a more enlightened lake where you can open the taps and let MK2 fly.

Paul

30/06/2020 15:23:49

Good Afternoon Captain Bob

That 3mm ply will certainly stiffen the hull yes

Paul

30/06/2020 10:29:45

The biggest design problem was keeping the weight down on the main hull so the batteries had to go in the torpedos along with the motors and air compressors, all the kit would be on a slide out tray extracted via the stern of the tube.

The construction of the torpedos was quite simple as I used 75mm dia rigid plastic pipe with threaded dome shaped ends.

The main mechanical problem was the stress load on the wing root hinge and keeping the torpedos parallel so I was experimenting with using copper tube as the chassis.

ghost balsa 1.jpg

29/06/2020 18:18:24

Hi Ashley

Yes that's the one, I spent some time playing around with this design and even produced a prototype model

3rd angle 2.jpg

ghost final ga.jpg

ghost proto 1 (small).jpg

Thread: Keel clamps
29/06/2020 14:54:59

Paul

I might have misunderstood what you planned to use the clamp for, I presumed that your model was complete and that you were carrying out maintenance.

However for a build of a traditional sailing vessel a keel clamp is necessary but I wouldn't bother with the expense of buying one as I would simply make my own using two lengths of 75mm x 15mm (one fixed to the building board and the other loose) and bolting them together to form a long clamp.

Something like this one from Mantua LINK but without the fancy flanges

8155_lrg.jpg{w=379}.th.jpg

If you post some photos of your build I will be able to help out a little more.

Paul

Edited By Paul T on 29/06/2020 15:00:08

29/06/2020 14:10:44

Paul

Something like a workmate would be ideal for clamping a keel but I would advise against doing this as when working on your boat you will be putting excessive lateral stress on the keel.

The keel could break under these loads and ruin your boat.

A better method is to use an old quilt or eiderdown, fold the quilt into a rectangle and use it as a soft support for the bottom of the entire hull.

But in my experience a custom made frame is the best way of fully supporting your boat whilst working on it.

I hope this helps with your problem

Paul

Edited By Paul T on 29/06/2020 14:15:08

Thread: Covid update
28/06/2020 13:36:21

A very old joke

An old man was riding his bike along the A1 when his chain broke, he couldn’t repair it and was miles from anywhere, so he started pushing his bike on his long trip to civilisation.

It starts raining hard and the poor old man struggles against the wind and rain, then a Ferrari pulls up and a concerned young man asks if he can help, when he realises that the bike isn’t repairable and won’t fit in his car he offers to tow the old man to the next town.

The young man promises to drive slowly but tells the old man to ring his bell if the tow becomes too fast.

Everything is fine for the first couple of miles as the tow proceeds at a comfortable 20mph then a Lamborghini overtakes the old man and makes a rude gesture to the driver of the Ferrari.

The Lamborghini takes off like a rocket with the Ferrari in hot pursuit.

Meanwhile a couple of miles down the road a Police car sits quietly in a layby when the Lamborghini flashes past, as the Police car starts the Ferrari roars past.

“Did you see that Sarge” says one of the officers “they must be doing 120” the Sergeant replies “Yes but what got me was the old guy on the bike ringing his bell and trying to pass the pair of them”

28/06/2020 11:17:46

Hi Ray

Yes it would hover and if the jets were turned to face each other it would disappear up its own a--e.

Hello Captain Bob

Lots of memories are coming back about the first build, like why I designed the stern with an extended keel rather than keeping the bottom of the hull flat.

brutus stern view.jpg

A few posts ago you mentioned sponsons which started a train of thought as it struck another memory.

Buried in amongst the original designs was a theoretical drawing for sponsons.

brutus sponson.jpg

The sponsons were intended to be lowered under the hull for high speed travel, the sponsons contained motors and worked in the same way as torpedos, the idea being that less surface area contact would result in higher speeds.

Paul

27/06/2020 21:01:49

Hello Tim

Thank you for your comment

I agree that this system would be fairly ineffective on full sized ships but we are talking about a four foot model where the effects of high powered water jets are totally different.

I have to disagree with one of your points as a submerged jet of water still has the same velocity as it would have above the surface.

A simple experiment to demonstrate this is to put a hose pipe into a paddling pool, the incoming water will make the water in the pool move and eventually the pool water will rotate in the direction of the incoming jet of water, increasing the force of incoming flow will make the pool water rotate faster.

Some years ago I built a model tug to demonstrate how directional water jets could be used with traditional propeller drive to increase both towing power and manoeuvrability.

Four bilge pumps sending water through four fully rotating chain driven outlets.

The model was agile enough to turn on a sixpence and powerful enough to tow a 60ft narrow boat

thruster motors 4 (small).jpg

thor mighty 6.jpg

chain 3.jpg

chain 1.jpg

Thread: Covid update
27/06/2020 17:53:03

Hi Colin

Nice picture, I bet it looked amazing when it was shiny and new with all of its leather pieces intact.

Ashley

My bum looks big in everything.

Dave

I never thought blue would suit me, I bought a clever hair cutting machine from Amazon so now I can cut my own hair, (what hair I have left). I got fed up of shaving so my beard is coming on nicely, given another 6 months and I will look like Uncle Albert

Paul

27/06/2020 15:09:52

Not trusting the governments early ending to the lock down I get ready for my first trip to the shops in 14 weeks.

ppe.jpeg

How is everyone getting on with our enforced isolation?

27/06/2020 11:55:57

The notion of using bow thrusters instead of rudders to turn a model isn't such a far fetched idea.

Obviously traditional prop driven units wouldn't have the power but they can be replaced with high pressure water jets.

Water jets in the bow and stern that were linked with tank steering could make for a very manoeuvrable boat,

Whilst I can't see any advantage employing this system on a long slim hull I can certainly see a definite bonus when used in a tug.

Paul

26/06/2020 19:50:24

Hello Bob

Yes I still have Brutus 1 but I prefer the rudder steering system for tighter turning on the smaller local ponds.

Paul

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Shrek
Sarik
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor