By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul T

Here is a list of all the postings Paul T has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: All my model boat builds history
25/06/2021 13:52:18

Hello Captain Bob

You were very brave to undertake a 'warts and all' build of a completely new and untested design, I was very glad that you agreed to do the build and your practical input allowed me to expand the design by adding two different styles of superstructure.

SeaSpray is a twin engine fast fisher and this example was built by the late Dave Milbourn.

image 11.jpg

Red Leader is a triple engine MTB.

red leader 01.jpg

Paul

24/06/2021 16:12:32

Hello Captain Bob

This is a very nice trip down memory lane and I am looking forward to the RC Planes.

You are a prime example of the skill sets that are fast disappearing from the model building world.

But as Ray says what are you going to do next?

Seeing as you are so keen to see my Titanic builds it is only fair that you let us in on your plans.

How about HMS Warrior or its sister ship HMS Black Prince, these ships are a lot like the Great Eastern with plenty of rivets to play with.

Paul

Thread: An amazing build project for someone
23/06/2021 17:57:35

Dear All

Copyright and Intellectual Copyright applies to any drawing/information that is marked with the copyright sign or specifically identified that the contents are copyright, it doesn't matter what scale or format the drawings/information are supplied in as the copyright still applies.

In the case of yard or working drawings the copyright usually rests with the customer as they are the ones who commissioned both the initial design and construction. The yard only have use of the drawings during the construction phase and have to sign strict contractual conditions that include the security and protection of the design information.

Using non licenced copyrighted information usually becomes a problem when it is advertised on the open market, either for payment or for free.

Depending upon the age of the design some companies might not bother, or have gone out of business but some will get their legal team to issue a Cease and Desist notice informing you to stop violating their copyright, demanding that all data/information is returned and, worse of all, threaten further legal action if you don't disclose source of the information.

If you are going to build a model using the original designs as a basis for the build It is always advisable to seek written permission from the copyright holder, most will freely give this permission providing the designs will only be used for a 'one off' scale build.

Paul

Thread: Trumpeter 1:200 Titanic
21/06/2021 12:36:02

Sorry Bob but the workshop is full of planes and I have nowhere to put them until they are finished.

20/06/2021 18:04:28

Its a long time until November and I am still in the process of building a couple of float planes to upset the local wildlife.

A Hawker Monsoon (Typhoon variant) and a de Havilland Mosquito (Yes a single prototype was produced)

I have an 8ft span Zero that I want to turn into a float variant and a Catalina that is waiting for me to build a working undercarriage.

Also have a large model yacht to restore for next season.

Paul

Thread: An amazing build project for someone
20/06/2021 16:30:49

Richard

This would be a very good model to build especially as you have the CAD designs and would suit me perfectly as it is a simple task to convert the digital information to be used by my laser cutter.

However to be a 'stick in the mud' who owns the copyright to the CAD information and do you have their explicit permission to use the CAD drawings in this way.

Paul

20/06/2021 16:21:59

Hi Colin

My understanding was that Suffolk was in heavy fog when she regained radar contact with Bismarck but waited until they had a visual confirmation before reporting the contact and position to Hood.

The reporting was 3 hours before the sinking giving Holland ample time to refine his strategy, knowing Bismarcks position was a huge advantage and he could have quickly closed the range and opted for a bow on attack rather than a broadside position.

It was Hollands choice to stand off by 10 miles and attack using the traditional broadside, I understand about this tactic allowing the use of all four major turrets but it also offered the Bismarck the best possible target for high trajectory bombardment.

Holland could have use Hoods speed to his advantage by opting for a high speed forward attack and concentrating the firepower from his two forward turrets, this would have very quickly closed the range and been a far more difficult target for the German guns.

I accept that it is easy to second guess these decisions and to cherry pick the alternative strategies, all of which are blessed with hindsight and the knowledge of battleship tactics gleaned since 1941, but even without these advantages I still think that the Admiralty threw the Hood away in a mission that had less than a 30% chance of success and that Holland sealed its fate by choosing the wrong method of attack.

Usual Ashley style disclaimer about this being my own opinion and in no way detracts from the bravery shown by all crews involved.

Paul

20/06/2021 13:59:58

Hi Colin

To take the discussion further, the Hood was the showpiece of the Royal Navy and if the Admiralty had been concerned about its increasing vulnerability then surely they wouldn't have cancelled its refits especially the vitally important 1939 refit as, on the eve of war you would think it critical to update the largest ship in the Royal Navy.

If Holland knew about the problems with deck armour why didn't he close the range during the night, he had the element of surprise and could decide upon the best time to attack. Norfolk and Suffolk were shadowing Bismark so Holland knew exactly where his target would be.

I know these are mute points and the subject has been discussed and dissected ever since the sinking but from my own point of view the deaths of the 1418 crew could have been alleviated or avoided altogether if the Sea Lords and Holland had acted more responsibly.

Paul

Thread: Todays Boating
20/06/2021 13:32:58

Ashley

It is nice to see how you have branched out into publishing your own magazine,wink my copy arrived a couple of days ago and made for very interesting reading.

Paul

Thread: Commodores Challenge
20/06/2021 13:15:43

Captain Bob

Even though they are distant memories the build threads that you produced on this forum are very relevant today as they are a great resource for newcomers to scratch building, you demonstrate the practical building skills that are fast disappearing which is especially important in our modern 'plug and play' society.

Your building techniques have influenced my model designs, in fact the 'pinched bow' and the form of the unique bow wave on the Lady Joyce directly owes its existence to your work on Brutus.

If you ever want to do another signature build then I would be proud to design it for you.

Paul

20/06/2021 12:01:13

Hi Ashley

Apart from the technical brilliance I really liked the Victorian style of the casings, most people would have simply put the motors side by side on basic mounts, but not Bob Brunel, he went the extra mile and not only produced those excellent casings but detailed an engine room for them to sit in.

But these motors are nothing compared to his Great Eastern, the quantity of research that Bob did was staggering and I remember our discussion on how the ships launch failed.

Paul

19/06/2021 16:06:26

The Hood was another ship that was considered to be invincible and its dramatic demise had a huge effect on morale,

Known as the Mighty Hood it was a victim of the Sea Lords blind belief that the ship was to big to sink, it was a very large ship and held the record of the largest British warship until the QE Aircraft carrier was built.

Sadly the belief in its invulnerability and a cutback in military spending during the mid 1930s meant that Hood missed a couple of major refits including the crucial strengthening of the deck armour to counter the piercing effect of high trajectory shells.

Some naval architects have speculated that a single high trajectory shell from Bismark entered a magazine ventilation shaft adjacent to the Admirals day cabin and exploded in the magazine.

18/06/2021 18:37:43

I still can't get my head around the setup, In the real world one motor would run at a different speed to its twin resulting in either one of the pair becoming a dynamo or the pair fighting against each other and stripping the rubber belts.

Not to mention the way that you wired everything up, as it should have put far to many amps through the system and cooked everything.

Amazing and completely stupefying they are still an enigma wrapped up in a Pandora's box of contradictions.

18/06/2021 17:38:26

Bob

What you don't know is that DM and myself tried to duplicate your four motor set up and DM even asked the electronics expert who helped him design the Action equipment.

The result of all this debate was that such a set up would either fail to work or more likely burst into flames, and yet your system worked, we were completely stumped and DM had a very healthy new respect for your abilities, as we know Daves respect was difficult to attain.

Paul

Thread: Todays Boating
18/06/2021 17:29:43

Red

Most float planes that were built after WW1 had steps either in the main hull (Catalina, Sunderland etc) or on the floats, some really odd float planes were produced during WW2 as experimental prototypes, the Zero, ME109, FW190, Spitfire, Typhoon and even the Mosquito all had floats fitted with varying degrees of success.

As you correctly point out these steps were an important part of the design as they enabled the plane to 'break surface contact' and take to the air.

Paul

Edited By Paul T on 18/06/2021 17:30:17

18/06/2021 17:15:14

It is true that there have been far worse maritime disasters, as far as the Hood is concerned it should never have been sent out against the Bismark, the Hood was a product of WW1 design and suffered from lack of upgrades and refits, especially deck armour.

The sinking of the Titanic came at a pivotal point in history where engineering projects seemed to be breaking records everyday.

The shock of the sinking reverberated throughout the entire world and made the public realise that huge engineering projects could be fallible, the event forced engineers and governments to reevaluate design and safety constraints.

The design failures of the Titanic are still taught to naval architects as a example of human hubris.

So in answer to your question, it wasn't the sinking of the ship itself but what the event meant to mankind's belief in its ability to control the natural world.

Paul

18/06/2021 16:54:41

Captain Bob

You are one of life's real gentlemen and your experiences are an invaluable source of inspiration to both newbies and experienced model builders.

I still cant fathom how you wired up the four huge motors in the VJC that you built, according to the known laws of physics they shouldn't have run, and yet you impressed everyone at the Haydock show when you demonstrated the big four running in perfect harmony.

I still think that you invoked some kind black magic.

Paul

17/06/2021 17:14:38

Captain Bob

It is staggering that members of the club haven't commented on the build. I presume that some club members are also members of this forum.

I wonder why they have left you to carry the flag for this event.

I understand that membership will be thinning out but you would expect some level of club support.

Speaking for myself I have really enjoyed watching your build and I even started to research Slipper Launches with a view to building a 3ft one.

Paul

17/06/2021 17:02:24

Dear All

This subject has created a flurry of PMs asking where I got the models and how much I paid.

After a long search on the interweb I found a company selling them for £270 (inc the lighting kit) a short negotiation by email resulted in buying their last two for £500.

I paid slightly more than £270 for the one from Facebook but it did come with a lot of extras, tools, paints etc.

They are still sat on a shelf in my garage and won't get started until November.

Paul

16/06/2021 17:33:11

Captain Bob

The driver looks great and is the last word in cobbled together, he isn't shoe horned in and is a perfect fit.

The stripes look like a blazer and would grace any posh river event.

I think you have this competition all laced up and you can afford a cheeky tounge out to those who didnt bother to enter for, as usual you are the heart and sole of the club membership.

Paul

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor