By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Paul T

Here is a list of all the postings Paul T has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Portsmouth Dockyard October 2021
07/10/2021 11:30:58

Hello Colin,

Thank you for sharing your day out with us.

Paul

Thread: Twin Brushless Set Up
19/09/2021 13:32:23

Hi Scott

Yes it worked very well and Ashley has summarised it better than I could.

Paul

Thread: Aeronaut pilot boat
19/09/2021 13:28:45

Is the ABS that you are using UV stable or will it become brittle in strong sunlight?

Thread: Blunders and Co-k ups
10/09/2021 14:51:44

Captain Bob

You are so right, these LiPos scare the life out of me, my problem is that they are necessary for drones and rc planes so I have learnt to live with them, some of the large drone batteries are like house bricks.

All of my LiPos are stored in a old (small) safe as it is both fire and explosion proof.

Paul

Thread: Commodores Challenge
10/09/2021 14:40:05

Hi Tim

Have you incorporated geo-stationary software like the drones have, the tails articulation is amazing.

Paul

Thread: 9 11
10/09/2021 14:36:11

Hi Colin

To explain, I didn't want to appear insensitive by posting my comments on the 11th, I wanted to mark the occasion as it was both a terrible event and a pivotal point in history.

Paul

10/09/2021 12:48:03

Its 20 years since that terrible attack on the twin towers, how many others remember exactly what they were doing when you heard the news. I was on a regeneration site, Henry Street in Liverpool about to survey the old Bridewell on Campbell St.

Thread: Blunders and Co-k ups
08/09/2021 11:56:04

Bobs tale of molten lead reminded me of a site back in the late 70s when I was a junior site engineer, It was an office block with a central atrium and a first floor balcony.

The balcony was insitu concrete and because the client didn't want to see holding down bolts the posts / handrails for the balustrade were to be cast in later using a new product called epoxy.

My gaffer didn't want to spend money on this expensive product so over a weekend he decided to cast the posts in using molten lead.

What he didn't take into account was that the client had released the ground floor offices to various little companies and they were busy sorting out their new workspace, walking unprotected underneath the gaffer whilst he was pouring the lead.

No he didn't inflict any injuries but the client threw him off the job.

Ray

No I didn't set out to short the battery but it was a very sobering experience and goes to show how easy it is to get into trouble.

06/09/2021 11:30:39

Dear All

Having exchanged a few blunders and co-k ups with Neil I thought the subject would make an entertaining thread so I will start the ball rolling with this mornings explosion.

I accidently short circuited a LiPo battery, I've never shorted a LiPo before and this short only lasted for 2 seconds but within 5 seconds the battery became very hot.

It was thrown out of the window onto the lawn where it was left to cool or blow, luckily it was only a small 11volt unit but its £20 that I won't see again.

The experience has been a sobering wake up about how dangerous these things can be

I found this on youtube LINK,

Paul

Thread: Old sailing vessel, need help identifying type, rig, scale etc.
04/09/2021 16:28:43

With the three masts it could be a clipper

Thread: TYNE Class Lifeboat build
27/08/2021 13:09:50

Hi Neil

We could start a new thread to cover injuries and stupidity, have you ever had arc eye?

Paul

27/08/2021 00:29:55

Hi Neil

Drilling your leg...welcome to the very exclusive club of drilling co-k ups, with a cobalt bit in a pillar drill I once succeeded in drilling through my finger and then had to extract said digit from the the bit before it hit the chuck.

Happy days thumbs down

Paul

Thread: Dual prop question
23/08/2021 17:21:56

Ray

The Lancaster was the same as all four props rotated in the same direction.

As for model aircraft I only fit contra rotating props on small electrics.

Paul

Edited By Paul T on 23/08/2021 17:22:47

23/08/2021 12:21:07

Hello Neil

I used to fit contra rotating props to my twin engined boats which, whilst correct, were expensive and ultimately a waste of money.

As Uncle Ashley points out a slight trim adjustment on the rudder control solves the problem of 'propwalk'

However if you wish to avoid the corrosive comments of the numerous rivet counters then you should either fit contra rotating props or ask them for the correct sequence of rotations on a triple engined boat.

Paul

Thread: TYNE Class Lifeboat build
19/08/2021 15:37:06

Hi Neil

As always I am in awe of your building skills, your boats are stunning and I hope that, during the event the public appreciate how much work goes into building models of this quality and put notes into that bucket.

Paul

Thread: Lubricant
19/08/2021 15:29:36

Richard

Isn't it odd that two engineers would make different assumptions about the same subject.

Even though closed gearboxes are quite rare in model building, I still went completely the other way to you and assumed that it was a closed unit rather than an open set of gears, it never occurred to me that we might be discussing an open set,

I hope that no one has applied my recommendations to an open gearbox as this will be the quickest way to share lubricant to every surface within a 2m radius.

Paul

blush

18/08/2021 10:51:28

In small gearbox situations I use Lanolin oil, the rotation of the gears keeps the oil moving inside the case and everything remains lubricated.

Any light oil will do the job but check that it doesn't react with nylon.

To avoid over pressuring the case don't fill more than 15% of the gearbox internal capacity

Edited By Paul T on 18/08/2021 10:52:05

Thread: strangers in your workshop
11/08/2021 17:25:44

Hi Neil

I have a couple in my garden wobbling around like over stiffed toilet brushes, they are perfect pets as I don't have to do anything for them.

A couple of nights ago the local tom cat got into the garden and disturbed my pets, have you ever heard a couple of hedgehogs screaming?

I was awoken by this loud noise akin to high pressure steam venting through a safety valve, the wail of a dozen Banshees is nothing in comparison to what a couple of hedgehogs can produce. Worse than rutting Badgers.

Paul

Thread: Commodores Challenge
09/08/2021 14:50:14

Hi Bob

Glad you have sorted it out.

Paul

Thread: Todays Boating
09/08/2021 11:58:11

Richards analogy is a perfect example of what happens, this can be seen on some smaller float planes.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Premier March
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor