By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tony Hadley

Here is a list of all the postings Tony Hadley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hobbico
12/01/2018 09:12:52

Spotted on facebook, Hobbico have filed for bankruptcy. Probably best known in the plastic kit section of our hobby.

Hobbico are owners of plastic kit manufacturers Revell (US and Germany), Haswega, Monogram and Italeri. These are shown in the link, click on 'our brands', 'Explore our Brands' and then 'Building Kits'.

**LINK**

Thread: Of all the model boat discipline’s that you’ve not yet tried, which would you most like to have a go at?
10/01/2018 16:33:45

A scale sail would be interesting. Either the Mary J. Ward (Schooner) or Ruby B. (Cutter rigged pilot boat), by Victor model products look interesting kits to build. They are expensive and the cost of shipping from the USA are off-putting.

**LINK**

**LINK**

Thread: Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs
29/12/2017 10:04:15

A Vivacity is currently being built by David Cross, a member of the Modelboatmayhem facebook group. David tells me that since these photographs were taken, he is re-working the cabin superstructure. Nevertheless it's looking a superb build and the finished model should give good performance with the i.c. power plant.

vivacity (3).jpg

vivacity (4).jpg

vivacity (5).jpg

27/12/2017 09:59:05

MM652 Vivacity a large 54" x 17" cabin cruiser, the article is from August 1961 Model Maker magazine. Plans are still available from Sarik. A half sized model would make for a good manageable modern project.

**LINK**

vivacity (1).jpg

vivacity (2).jpg

17/12/2017 20:58:30

In the July 1963 RCME magazine (Twinkler free plan), the Commercial Developments column shows the Vixtric hulls designed by Vic Smeed. These were large hulls 36" with a 12.5" beam designed for 15cc i.c. engines, they were available in red or blue.

I realise this is a long shot, but can anyone provide further information about them?

twinkler (1).jpg

vixtric (2).jpeg

vixtric (3).jpeg

vixtric (4).jpeg

Thread: Jenny
21/11/2017 15:12:32

Spotted this new kit, Lili, from German manufacturer Aero-naut. Looks very similar to Jenny, with similar gaff rig and model dimensions. Looks a really neat little yacht. Not sure of the availability in the UK.

**LINK**

I no longer have my little scratch built yacht Jenny, sold earlier in the year.

Edited By Tony Hadley on 21/11/2017 15:21:36

Thread: Braine Gear self steering
13/11/2017 21:54:22

Came across this article in February 1951 Model Maker magazine -

braine steering gear - february 1951 (a).jpg

braine steering gear - february 1951 (b).jpg

27/10/2017 21:23:25

There is a build of Vic's little tug design Bustler in progress on modelboatmayhem forum.

**LINK**

Bustler was the best-selling plan in the 1956 Power Boat category. Found this article in April 1957 Model Maker magazine.

11.jpg 

Edited By Tony Hadley on 27/10/2017 21:44:05

26/10/2017 18:08:02

Hi Gareth,

Firstly, what a superb restoration of LaSwan by your wife.

I don't have any drawings of Harem, but managed to find a photograph in an old plans handbook. The photograph is in the middle of the attached page, it's not a good photograph but does show the sloping stern which shows that Ian Bell's Harem is correct. As Ian says earlier Harem was originally from model aircraft magazine Radio Modeller. Vic ran a series on model yachting in this magazine commencing March 1980 under the heading Sail-In. Off topic the other plan from this magazine was Witchwind, plan RM231 with the accompanying article in the May 1980 edition. I once thought about building this neat little 30" yacht, but a reality check and return back to work prevented this.

If you send me your email in a private message, I will send you the latest listing of Vic's designs and see if anything else could be a possibility, it's a word document. The first listing was on this site as a Members Contribution, then a second listing was featured in the Model Boats magazine special edition of April 2015, which Colin Bishop edited. Colin provided a great deal of help and support with this. Nowadays I just add designs to the list as they appear.

harem.jpeg

Thread: Suzie Q by Vic Smeed
25/10/2017 12:23:10

Just posted the March and April magazine articles in the Vic Smeed thread.

25/10/2017 12:21:54

Suzie Q from item from Model Maker magazine March and April 1965.

Cover from the April edition.

suzie q cover.jpg

March edition

suzie q (1).jpg

suzie q (2).jpg

suzie q (3).jpg

April edition

suzie q (4).jpg

suzie q (5).jpg

21/10/2017 09:08:35

I made a typo earlier, Harem plan number should have read RM258, not RM358.

Another of Vic's popular designs, Tiddler (plan V104), a small 20" TID tug, again built by Brian Rosserode.

brians tiddler.jpg

Thread: RMS TITANIC 1912
20/10/2017 18:37:22

A letter from the Titanic up for auction this weekend.

**LINK**

20/10/2017 18:05:36

Ian, it's good to see some yachts posted in this thread. Your Panache looks good, as does the Star C. The Star C at 42" should make a good sailing model, your blue coloured hull is most impressive.

After our discussion on facebook, here are the three photographs of your Harem. Plan number RM358 from the 1970s, I can't seem to find a magazine article to accompany the plan. Described as a Marblehead with a cabin/cockpit. This model which you bought off ebay looks to be in a solid condition and well worth the planned restoration, I wish you good luck with this project. This is the first example of this design I have seen.

ians harem (1).jpg

ians harem (2).jpg

ians harem (3).jpg

20/10/2017 10:09:22

Brian Rossenrode, a member of the facebook group 'Classic Wooden Model Boats' built this Guardsman from the free plan in Model Boats magazine 1982. Brian is a member of the Durban Radio Boat Club and his superb little model took six months to build. A much quicker build time than mine.

brians guardsman (1).jpg

brians guardsman (2).jpg

brians guardsman (3).jpg

15/10/2017 09:26:36

Empress of Britain was featured earlier in this thread (#4 & 5). Attached is the magazine article from December 1956, Colin Bishop posted the magazine front cover earlier. Two photographs of the full sized vessel are also attached of the ship whilst in Liverpool in the early 1960s. These are extracted from an old family cine film which has been digitalised.

empress of britain (3).jpg

empress of britain (4).jpg

empress of britain (5).jpg

empress of britain (1).jpg

empress of britain (2).jpg

Thread: Facebook Cover
13/10/2017 09:00:27

Here are my two

guardsman (95).jpg

glasgow electric (1).jpg

Edited By Tony Hadley on 13/10/2017 09:07:40

05/09/2017 09:05:47

Ian, wasn't the Star C a 42" one design class? Would be good to see some photographs of the yachts.

Not too long ago, I had a request for a copy of the text for Starlet from Vic's book Small Model Yachts, which I managed to locate and send. The request was from Brian Barber who has just emailed these two photographs of his now completed Starlet. The model is sailing at the Bluewater Shopping Centre, Kent. The photographs of this excellent model show what lovely models can be built from Vic's designs.

brian barber starlet (1).jpg

brian barber starlet (2).jpg

01/09/2017 10:13:18

In the latest, October 2017 Model Boats magazine, a new Glynn Guest submarine, Nixie comes as a free plan and detailed build. Glynn states in the text, that this and his two earlier dynamic diving submarines were based on the original Vic Smeed design Sprat.

Sprat was featured in the 1960 Model Maker magazine and the item is attached below for anyone interested. Nixie looks a good one Glynn, just kicking myself for giving away two new 40mhz receivers & crystals as I still have the 40mhz module for my hitec set, better start looking for a replacement.

sprat.jpg

Thread: Streamlinia Models
20/08/2017 09:49:40

Advertisment for the model from July 1957.

streamlinia.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Premier March
Sarik
Nylet
Premier Thursday
Cadma new
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor