By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tony Hadley

Here is a list of all the postings Tony Hadley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Servo Travel
29/11/2007 17:18:00

Thanks again Dave,

Following your answers, and researching further, this looks the set for the job. Although not cheap the fuctions are superb. I will be staying with the crystal sets and not using the 2.4 ghz yet.

So a little 'retail therapy' is due.

Tony

28/11/2007 19:03:00
Thanks Dave.
27/11/2007 18:52:00

Hi,

Can anyone advise or recommend an R/C set which will give adjustable travel on the servo (or winch). I currently have 3 sets, all 27meg, 2 channel, which have fixed travel. I am looking to purchase a new set, 40meg, 2 or 3 channel with the added feature of adjustable travel length for the servo arm. It will control a lever arm servo on a yacht.

Thanks Tony Hadley.

Thread: Beale Park Model Collection
27/11/2007 18:25:00

Hi Rod,

Have you tried the bassettlowkesociety.org.uk  

Tony Hadley

Thread: What to start with?
21/11/2007 18:25:00

Hi Robert,

What is your River Patrol Boat? is it the Veron Police Launch?

I have just received the plans for the Veron craft from Phil Smith. Now available as a plan not a kit. First impressions are superb. I will look forward to making a start in the New Year after my replica 1920's pond yacht is complete.

Happy Building -- Tony

05/11/2007 18:50:00

Hi Michael,

Have you obtained the Model Boats kit review special - Winter 2007 - shouldn't be missed for kit builders. The one which caught my eye is the Vosper high speed 'Rescue and Target Towing Lauch' (RTTL). This is a gem at £45- £52 for the kit excluding radio, batteries etc. An excellent review by Terry Small of the Model Slipways easy build kit. At 500mm long it won't cost the earth in batteries.

Besides kit reviews useful hints and tips, again the one which caught my eye is an excellent item on propeller shaft lubrication and how to set the thrust.

Thanks

Tony

Thread: cleaning sails of old toy clipper
04/11/2007 13:21:00

Angela

Forgot to mention in my previous reply, my current building project is a 1920's replica yacht from the model boats mag free plan Nov 1988. I have just received the sails. Decided to have them made in modern material by Housemartin Sails. I did however find out that Nylet still make brand new one's in cotton. Guess I didn't fancy the hassle with cotton one's, washing and ironing etc.

One again good luck and happy sailing.

Tony

Thread: veron huntsman
03/11/2007 20:03:00

Hi Dave,

Veron models were designed by Phil Smith. I understand he did sell vintage plans.

Last known address:-  32 Verwood Crescent, Southbourne, Bournemouth, BH6 4JE.

Good Luck

Tony

Thread: cleaning sails of old toy clipper
03/11/2007 19:47:00

Hi Angela,

I don't know of any myself, but the Vintage Model Yacht Group have an excellent website covering all aspects of yacht restoration.

www.vmyg.org.uk

Good luck

Tony

Thread: Model yacht spinnaker
20/10/2007 19:15:00

Hi Stuart,

Spinnakers for model yachts are usually found on vane boats. Radio spinnakers have been used, but this is rare. An item was featured in one of the modelling mags a few years ago showing a radio spinnaker, sorry I don't know which or when.  A spinnaker boom will be required with forehaul and backhaul lines. A topping lift and kicking strap will also be required. This is clearly illustrated (for vane boats) on Plan MM503 - rigging and fittings for Marblehead yachts. This could be adapted to suit a radio yacht, or buy a vane, use a spinnaker, and run. (Vane's can now be bought from Sails etc).

Also try www.vmyg.org.uk        or find and watch the 1970's Model World - Model Yachts.

Good Luck, Tony

Thread: Billings 'Hjejlen'
18/09/2007 18:58:00

Hi,

Can anyone confirm the rumour as to whether Billings are due to re-release their 'Hjejlen' paddle steamer kit. Always fancied this one. I believe the original kit was difficult being a virtual scratch build. If a new kit is released will it be an improvement on the old?

Thanks Tony 

Thread: Robbe B25 Fishcutter
15/09/2007 20:00:00

Bob,

Thank you for the positive comments on this boat. I wouldn't like to guess at a build time, as the craft lay in the shed in various states over the years. It came from the most unlikely of suppliers - Prestwich Models in the 1980's. Dave Marles at Prestwich very rarely supplies scale boats, as racing craft are his speciality.

The model has not been produced by Robbe for many years. Length -- 505 mm   Breadth -- 172 mm  height -- 340 mm.  The boat has a hard foam hull, which was vey easy to use. Motor is a small MFA. The handrails were superb to build, brass split pins and wire soldered then overpainted.

The full size craft are used by German fishermen in the Baltic Sea. The principal fish caught are Sprats, Flounders and Eels. The drag-net is cast over the side and dragged along the side of the vessel. As a rule these fishing smacks set sail towards evening, fish during the night and return to port to discharge their catch in the early morning.

Thanks again for the comments which were totally unexpected

Tony Hadley.

Thread: Ships plans?
23/08/2007 10:58:00

Hi Alan,

The  'Endurance' started life as the tourist vessel 'Polaris'. Constructed in Norway at the Famnaes yard in Sandefjord. Designed to take rich visitors to the polar regions.

Good luck.

This link may be of use http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/E/ends/shackleton_intro.html

Thread: Plans required
11/08/2007 13:39:00
Hi Robin.
If you fancy a kit, George Turner Models (GTM) are releasing limited edition kits of these craft.
http://www.georgeturnermodels.com/
Thread: Revell Aqua Colour
11/08/2007 13:30:00
thanks jake,
I have just received delivery from W.Hobby in London.
30/06/2007 20:30:00
Hi,
Are Revell's Aqua Colour range of paints suitable for sailing model boat use? I am currently building the 1920's model yacht 'Jenny' as published in Model Boats
November 1988.
Enamel paints, thinners etc. cannot be used as a family member suffers ME/CFS and cannot tolerate volatile chemicals etc.
I am restricted to 'table top' building hence the current building project 'Jenny'.
Ironically i kept the 2 sided plan for the 'Streamlinette' on the other side, but idea's change over the years.
Thread: Joshua Slocum's Spray
30/06/2007 20:10:00
Hi Zdenek,
I have recently purchased the Spray plan. The drawing is 5/8 scale 1:19.2
It is in one sheet. Details are shown for both the Sloop Rig and the Yawl Rig (at 1/4 model size. The plan is in need of darkening some lines (probably as the original is faded). The plan offers a false lead keel for a sailing model.
It is my intention to commence this model after the current project is finished.
Overall verdict - not over detailed and typical of Vic Smeeds plans. Certainly worth the money.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Premier March
Premier Thursday
Sarik
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Cadma new
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor