By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tony Hadley

Here is a list of all the postings Tony Hadley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Project Glasgow
09/08/2012 21:39:46

Hello Bob,

Here is a picture of the ballast in the rear section of mine. The front ballast is behind the front bulkhead and I can only asume it is similar. As previous conversation, mine was a refurb and not a new-build,. I have removed the rx and batteries for this photograph.

glasgow ballast.jpg

Earlier in this thread some discussion took place about this kit. From research it would appear that the Glasgow was Graupners (kit) spin-off from the free download plan Strongbow which is readily available on tinternet.

Tony.

Thread: C Class Destroyer
21/07/2012 19:10:27

Hi Steven,

I have a 16 page brochure (A4 size) of HMS Cavalier when she was in drydocked in Tyneside. Brochure was issued by South Tyneside Metopolitan Borough Council.

If this is of any value please send a p.m. Not looking for payment, just p&p.

Tony

Thread: The Forgotten Fleet
26/05/2012 16:29:56

Wasn't there something of a campaign to save one of them - HMS Liverpool as a museum ship? something along the lines of the WW2 cruiser HMS Belfast.

Thread: Just starting building static models
03/05/2012 13:51:55

The US company Bluejacket shipcrafters offer an excellent good sized T-2 tanker and a Liberty ship. I can't find a supplier in the UK though.

http://www.bluejacketinc.com/ to find them look at Model Boat kits on the LH index, go to power vessels then Naval/Commercial.

Tony

Thread: N/S Savannah - Virtual Tour
23/04/2012 22:43:59

Virtual tour of the US Nuclear Ship Savannah.

Click and drag on some of the images for 360degree view.

http://www.hnsa.org/savannah/index.php

Thread: Sofala
14/04/2012 07:34:38

Excellent model Bob.

Thread: Titanic in the Daily Mail
14/04/2012 07:31:25

Here's the link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2128193/Titanic-fans-1-10-scale-replica-doomed-liner-opens-public-garden--sunk-council-planners.html

Thread: ply or mdf
04/04/2012 19:08:36

Is there a safety issue with the dust from MDF?

Thread: Getting Started!
01/03/2012 14:10:12

Andre, do you intend to build Warships, Merchant ships, Historic vessels etc and from what period? Do you intend to build with a view to fitting miniature r/c or static display?

Thread: Big stuff
18/02/2012 19:52:28

Bob,

Was the large Waverley model at Llandudno (which you posted above) the one which Mike Mayhew of Waverley Models built?

Thread: Miss Eedee
17/02/2012 17:50:14

Thought this 1951 British Pathe film may be of interest, Miss EeDee (Robot Boat)

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/robot-boat

Thread: Your favourite ships from around the world
14/02/2012 21:07:16
Austrian Lake Boats
Photographed in 1985/6. Thanks to modern technology the faded images have been restored.
Diesel paddler - Kaiser Franz Josef 1 - sails on the Wolfgangsee. Built 1873, rebuilt 1954.

Salzkammergut - again sails on the Wolfgangsee

St Benedikt - Sails on Achensee in the Austrian Tirol. Photographed at Pertisau

Edited By Tony Hadley on 14/02/2012 21:12:51

Edited By Tony Hadley on 14/02/2012 21:14:10

Thread: Interesting Vessels entering the Mersey
09/02/2012 22:51:14
This one was also worth a photograph - the Mersey Ferry - Royal Daffodil

Edited By Tony Hadley on 09/02/2012 22:51:32

Thread: Guardsman hull
08/02/2012 18:21:11
I am also about to start building a Guardsman, after coming across the plan and build item in archives, but intending to choose the balsa/wood version. It is my intention to use a better quality wood for the deck (Vic Smeeds plan shows balsa), but still use balsa for the hull.

Some time has passed since I used balsa and I was wondering what is the best adhesive and finish for the hull? Glynn Guest tends to advise nothing more than Resin W in his magazine items. Is there anything better?

Hull filling and smoothing was always tissue covered in sanding sealer or dope or a fine denier ladies tight with the weave filled with paint and varnish. Again is there anthing better today as time, technology and materials have moved on?

Thank You
Tony.
Thread: Interesting Vessels entering the Mersey
08/02/2012 14:06:46
Dave, had to photograph the tanker Navion Britannia across the water at Tranmere, when I was in Liverpool last December.

Thread: Perkasa MTB
06/02/2012 21:35:09
For North Manchester clubs, you could try Bury Metro Marine Modelling Society. Here is a their website, which will give all details.

Thread: Riverdance
02/02/2012 15:38:36
Riverdance was hit by a large wave in a storm on the Irish Sea. She was broken up on the beach at Cleveleys, Lancashire.
Thread: Boiler Test Requirements.
16/02/2011 07:24:12
Thanks to all who responded.
Further research into this subject shows that since the passing away of the tester, the local club has no boiler test facility and advised I find a tetster elswhere, as they have no intention of finding a replacement as no one in the club is interested in steam.

Like Neil I would not be happy with steam regarding the rules etc and the only sensible way forward is to replace this 15 year old steam plant with a modern electric set-up.

Other points which make me think in this direction are, independent drive can now be applied to each paddle (with a split paddle shaft), and the Wilesco is a nickel plated brass boiler. Brass is frowned upon in the MPBA rules posted in this thread by Colin. Sometimes I sail on a privately owned lake and would not like to upset the owner.

Thread: Paddlewheels
14/02/2011 13:03:19
Try Clyde Model Boats, who offer a range of high quality paddle wheels and kits.

http://www.clydemodelboats.co.uk/userimages/Paddle-Wheel-Kits(1698849).htm
Thread: Boiler Test Requirements.
12/02/2011 14:37:58
After reading Paul Freshneys editors comments in the March MB edition re: MSC Archer tug - 'ensure your boiler is regularly tested', can anyone clarify the rules regarding testing boilers under 3bar litre.
I understand the 3 bar litre rule was a relaxation of the 1.5 bar litre rule in 2007.

The reason I ask is I have a Wilesco D48 gas burner/boiler in a Graupner Glasgow with no current certificate. The boiler capacity is 320 cm3 at 1.5 bar working pressure, hence well below the UK standard, should the 3 bar litre rule apply.
This rule would obviously apply to all small Wilesco's, Mamods etc.

Thanks for any help.
Tony Hadley.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
PremierJuly 2019
Cadma new
Premier Thursday
Premier March
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor