By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tony Hadley

Here is a list of all the postings Tony Hadley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Vosper rttl
13/12/2019 19:44:27

Michael,

I've just posted the original December 1958 magazine item on the Vic Smeed Vosper RTTL. It is in the thread 'Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs'. There really isn't a great lot of information about building the model, as was the case with many of these older designs.

Good luck with the build,

Tony

Thread: Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs
13/12/2019 19:40:32

Vosper RTTL, plan number MM530 (still available from Sarik). Came as free plan with the Bumper Christmas edition of Model Maker magazine. Ripmax advertised fittings for the model on the magazine's back cover.

vosper rttl (1).jpg

vosper rttl (2).jpg

vosper rttl (3).jpg

vosper rttl (4).jpg

13/12/2019 19:32:52

Hello Roy,

Apologies for the late reply, things have been hectic, which is no good for me as a youngster.

Dabchick was one of Vic's designs MM1024 and is still available from Sarik. At 24" it's a neat little design. It was interesting to read your post and I liked the mention of Bustler. This is one design I've always fancied having a go at this one. Never having built a bread and butter hull, the design offers a good beginners model to this type of construction.

Dabchick -

**LINK**

The original magazine article for Dabchick from August 1963 -

dabchick.jpg

Thread: Philip Connolly
13/12/2019 09:07:01

Sorry to hear of the passing of another great modeller from the 'golden days' of the hobby. Phillip did some excellent designs and written work.

R.I.P. Philip

1970 radio control model boats.jpeg

11/11/2019 10:26:06

Whilst looking on Modelboatmayhem's facebook group site, I noticed these two models built from Vic's designs on display at the International Model Boat Festival at Warwick 2019. Photographs by kind permission of Martin Davis.

Cervia MM567

cervia (4).jpg

Pirana MM620

pirana (5).jpg

More photographs from the show are on the Modelboatmayhem site -

**LINK**

Tony

Edited By Tony Hadley on 11/11/2019 10:27:28

18/10/2019 09:38:06

The Glynn Guest revision from the WH Smith Special Edition -

moonmist r (1).jpg

moonmist r (2).jpg

moonmist r (3).jpg

moonmist r (4).jpg

moonmist r (5).jpg

moonmist r (6).jpg

moonmist r (7).jpg

moonmist r (8).jpg

18/10/2019 09:32:06

Moonmist, from originally from September 1960 and updated by Glynn Guest for the Commemorative issue Model Boats magazine.

Plan MM610 is not currently available from Sarik.

The original 1960 magazine item -

moonmist (1).jpg

moonmist (2).jpg

17/10/2019 22:20:35

Hi Captain Haddock,

I've just had a read of the Moonmist Revisited item in the Model Boats magazine commemorative edition. The Glynn Guest revised Moonmist used a Mabuchi RE 385 motor powered by a 6 cell sub-C Ni-cad pack. The equivalent would be a 7.2v Nimh AA or Sub-C pack. Glynn's comments are - "In this case a top speed was about 2.7 ft/sec (0.8 m/s). Not exactly racing along but it produced a nice bow wave and looked just right for this sort of model".

Tony

Thread: First build MV Arran
15/10/2019 10:04:39

Ian,

I've just added the original magazine item, from February 1956, on M.V. Arran in the thread 'Vic Smeed's Model Boat Designs', should this be of any help.

Tony

15/10/2019 10:00:56

Model Railway scale M.V. Arran from February 1956 Model Maker magazine.

arran (1).jpg

arran (2).jpg

arran (3).jpg

The plan is available from Sarik Hobbies, number MM415

**LINK**

06/10/2019 10:15:35

Charles,

Attached is the information to build Sparker, should you decide to go ahead with the model. The plan was never added to the plans service, it came as a free plan in the August 1966 edition of Model Boats magazine.

sparkler mb aug 1966 (1).jpg

sparkler mb aug 1966 (6).jpg

sparkler mb aug 1966 (3).jpg

sparkler mb aug 1966 (4).jpg

sparkler mb aug 1966 (5).jpg

05/10/2019 19:34:25

Hi Matt,

Wishing you good luck with the sailing of Sparkler.

Is the second of your posts a photograph? If so you need to create an album. Colin has detailed it all in a thread.

**LINK**

Tony

27/09/2019 10:00:31

Vic also designed many aircraft models, his last was 'Gamine', it is featured in the 2019 R.C.M.E. Special Issue (due in the shops 27th September).

**LINK**

Thread: Second Model HMS Sherbourne?
18/09/2019 22:34:30

A build log of the model is in the 'Build Features' section of this site.

**LINK**

Thread: Question About V. Smeed's 'Starlet'
03/09/2019 16:18:58

John,

Attached is the relevant page from the original build item, which may be of help.

Back in July, I received your message for a copy of this model's build booklet. I subsequently replied and said it would need to be emailed, as it is 19 pages long. I received quite a number of requests for this booklet and once consider asking admin (Colin Bishop) for advice as to where to post it on the site. Further thoughts were that the document is too dated and many of the build practices and material are no longer used.

starlet (3).jpg

29/07/2019 11:31:49

Vickers Vedette, came as a free plan in the Dec 1975 Model Boats.

Ray and HMS Cossack mass build team, thought the last paragraph may be of interest.

vedette (1).jpeg

vedette (2).jpeg

vedette (3).jpeg

vedette (4).jpeg

vedette (5).jpeg

Thread: Clyde Paddler
26/07/2019 19:03:42

Before selling my Glasgow paddle tug, I was considering changing it to an independent paddle drive, with a system similar to the one shown by John W.E. earlier in this thread. My thoughts were to control the motor drive with a mixer, such as the Action Electronics P94 from Component Shop.

The system is better described in the Hints, Tips and Technical section. Scroll down to the heading Motor Mixers.

**LINK**

If in any doubt with this, you could contact forum member Dave Milbourn (who wrote the article).

Thread: Miranda steam launch
26/07/2019 11:17:56

Brian,

The August 1983 edition of Model Boats magazine, with part two of Miranda, is currently for sale on ebay.

**LINK**

Thread: Clyde Paddler
17/07/2019 10:27:09

Hi again John,

I found the relevant item about the paddle shaft in the book Lancashire Coast Pleasure Steamers (above).

As previous post, the vessel in concern is the Queen of the North built in 1985 by Lairds of Birkenhead and the text under one of the photographs reads -

"The Main Shaft of the Queen of the North was divided, and was connected by a sliding coupling. The paddle wheels could therefore be operated independently when required. Queen of the North also had two boilers places side by side and a noticeable feature was the twin steam pipes that are clearly visible in this photograph. The vessel was considered to be 'over engined' and it was difficult to maintain a speed of 19 knots over a long distance. Presumably, her lightness towards the bow cause some 'lifting' when driven hard'.

Tony

17/07/2019 08:45:14

Hi John,

I also noticed the Greyhound's paddle drive, i.e. one paddle revolving whilst the other is stationery/slowly reversing. I did read somewhere that her rival, the Laird built Queen of the North had independent paddle drive. Just wish I could remember where, will research and let you know. I also was under the impression that the paddle shaft couldn't be split.

Queen on the North, which isn't shown in the film wasn't a good looking vessel and not quite as fast as Greyhound, but she had her positive points and was very popular with the Central Pier customers. Research shows at the time, the passengers from the North Pier who sailed on Greyhound (and others) were from a higher social standing than the passengers on the Queen of the North (Bickerstaff and others) from the Central Pier (Riff Raff). There was a huge social divide at the time. Queen of the North was used a minesweeper in WW1 and was lost. The crews who manned her during the war were surprised by how powerful she was.

Tony

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
PremierJuly 2019
Premier Thursday
Meridienne Dec 6th
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shrek
Sarik
JSB MODELS
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor