By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for gecon

Here is a list of all the postings gecon has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Moonbeam - a novice's attempt
21/06/2021 17:10:56

Sorry Andrew, but I did not at first realise that Eddie had sent photos of hidden R/C gear to me here.

To Eddie I say, 'Nice work' on hiding the R/C AND keeping it accesibleyes The plan is to try to hide the R/C in the Colin Archer, inside benches and lockers. The receiver will go in the heads compartment I suspect!

George

21/06/2021 16:55:02

Hello again Andrew, I have in fact had some e-mail correspondance with 'Gringo Gary' of Bearospace regarding the tensioners on my Fisher 34 motorsailer. Here I used springs from CMB placed in-line. The one shown here is on the mainsail winch. The winches used in the Fisher have open drums.

The spring and turning block on your Moonbeam looks just fine to me.

20200820_165936.jpg

I have also recently seen winches with built-in spring tension below the drum itself. So there are plenty of 'goodies' out there for those who like to spend as much cash as possible!

Note my point that the spring is not just for tension but also to 'absorb' the changng line-length due to the incr/decrease in effective diameter of the the drum as it rotates....I think. Have only made two yachts myself so I'm not an expert either.smiley

George

21/06/2021 09:45:06

Hi Andrew, I see that you are using a similar spring tension device to the one I'm trying in the Colin Archer build. I am trying to hide the R/C components below the deck edges which is a bit of a challenge.

I may be stating the obvious, and you have probably already noticed that the spring tensioner is not just to prevent the line sagging, but also to compensate for the difference in line length as it is wound on/wound off the upper and lower winch drum spools.

I have also thought that with the enclosed drums which I am using, it may be possible to simply have som slack in the line (if it doesn't snag on any internals) and the spring may not be needed at all.  Or have I overlooked some essential mechanics with this thought?

George

PS. drew up a quick sketch, slack lines to the drum will not produce the required effect!

Edited By gecon on 21/06/2021 10:02:57

Thread: Ship Comparisons
17/06/2021 18:36:23

Does not give me a clue unfortunately.

Is top left Oriana?

Are you going to publish the 'answers' sometime -so we can all learn even more?

George

17/06/2021 17:53:23

Hi Colin,

Is the ship on the bottom row 2nd from left the P&O 'Chitral' ?

I forgive you for calling me 'Geoff' last time, but you were close!laugh

GeoRGE

Thread: Colin Archer 1:15 scale
17/06/2021 15:50:47

I have now produced what I hope will function as a combined sheet tensioner and shock absorber for the jib winch. It looks very 'home made', but that's because it's very home made!laugh

George20210617_161259.jpg

17/06/2021 07:19:07

20210616_171618.jpgInstalled the rudder servo yesterday and started on an attemt to make a simpler type of line tensioner for the jib. A turn pulley will be spring-mounted P&S abeam the winch drum. These will hopefully 'absorb' the extra 1cm of line run caused by the increasing drum diameter as the line is wound onto the drum.

From the pulley the lines will be guided up through the foredeck P&S via blocks to the clew of the jib. The 'jib' being a medium sized foresail tacked to the end of a longish bowsprit.

George20210616_171534.jpg

Thread: What's the foresail on a cutter-rigged ketch called?
16/06/2021 08:51:26

I'll some up then by first thanking all for their enthusiasm and conclude thus:

The Colin Archer has a rudder which operated manually via a tiller.

There are indeed a lot of new words popping up during construction. There's already two horses on deck. A cats's head each side of the bowsprit. Dead-eyes all over the place. Probably some 'pig-iron' somewhere too. A bit like Animal Farm really.

We'll settle for a 'jib' up front. It's not particularily high cut as the foot more or less parallels the foot of the staysail.

As for gender.....Colin Archer had Scottish ancestry. The men there dance around in skirts during celebrations so that settles that one.

As for Colin Bishop's Iron Dog....don't want any mention of dogs due to the afformentioned 'cat's heads in the bowslaugh

Cheers!,

George

15/06/2021 09:39:11

Is the tiller the the name given to the whole unit?

Or is it just the bit you hold on to while moving the 'rudder'? Is the bit in the water always refered to as the 'rudder'?

Some rudders are operated by a 'wheel' and some by a 'tiller' ?

The Colin Archer has a 'tiller'...and a 'rudder', maybe?

Here we go again. From one end of the yacht to the otherlaugh

George

15/06/2021 07:26:23

I've decided to call it the 'cleaver' sail. (cleever). It's at the 'sharp' end of the yacht and 'cleaves/cuts' the air.

I have also decided to 'go away' on this one and leave everyone in peace.smiley I've got more servos to fit. The one that controls the 'sail' below the surface called the RUDDER....or is it TILLER?...I don't want to knowwink

Cheers,

George

15/06/2021 06:58:56

Hi Malcolm, I think a 'Yankee' sail is simply a 'high cut' jib. The foot of the sail is higher up from the foredeck which helps to prevent it from 'catching' high seas coming over the bow. Many sailors choose a high cut genoa, this gives better visability forwards and also helps to keep the sail out og the 'og'.

The foresail attached to the end of the bowspit of the Colin Archer certainly has a 'yankee' shape to it.

Given that the Norwegians call it a 'Klyver', (pronounced "kloover" I thought that there would be a known English name for this particular sail.

It's really not very important, and I'm allmost sorry that I posted the question. sad

George

Edited By gecon on 15/06/2021 06:59:42

14/06/2021 14:51:51

It' deffinately a headsail, but how do I differentiate between the two headsails?

My 'inner foresail/ staysaill' will be self-tack' on a horse. The foresail on the bowspit will be controlled by a winch.

George

Edited By gecon on 14/06/2021 14:55:23

14/06/2021 14:47:17

Not very heavy going Richard, but I still did not find out if there is a specific name for the foremost sail on a cutter rigged yacht.

I think I'll just refer to the sails as the foresail and the inner foresail or staysail.

The whole question arose in my grey cell when I wanted to explain to which sail the Graupner 6-turn winch (pictured in my Colin Archer blog) was to be connected. I will simply refer to it as the foresail or jib. The one aft of it will be 'the staysail'. I expect I'll hear about it if I've got it all wrongfistlaugh

Many thanks Richard,

George

Edited By gecon on 14/06/2021 14:50:05

14/06/2021 12:38:23

No, it's forward of the staysail The forestay of the 'cutter' sail is attached to the end of a looong boom (bowsprit).

George

14/06/2021 12:23:43

Hi, The Colin Archer is a cutter-rigged ketch.

The foremost sail (Jib?) is called a 'Klyver' in Norwegian. 'Klyver' translates (more or less) to 'cutter'.

What's it called in English? Cutter sail? or is this also the Jib, being the foremost sail?

George

14/06/2021 09:52:17

Graupner 6-turn winch installed abeam the main mast position. Need to devise a cunning spring compensation/tensioning system and attach it20210613_203415.jpg to the hull sides. Still thinking, but getting there -I thinkidea

Thread: Ship Comparisons
13/06/2021 19:30:03

Great collection Colin. Is top right the Canberra? My parents sailed from Hong Kong to UK via Australia ca. 1972 on the Canberra. Seen many great ships in Hong Kong harbour during my youth. Used to take the Star Ferry twice a day across the harbour to and from school. Fond memories.

Oh dear, started babbling again - at least it's not on my build blog!

George

12/06/2021 22:01:40

20210612_222654.jpg20210612_222703.jpgThe 4-turn Krick sailwinch is now lurking below deck abeam the cockpit / steering well. The winch drum will be attached later on in the build. The mainsheet will be routed through the side of the steering well via a brass guide tube, up to and through a ring mounted on the mizzen mast and further to the end of the main boom.

The main boom will be controlled only by pulling it in to centre and then releasing on the opposite tack. Which is of course, is as 'standard' as you can get.

George

Edited By gecon on 12/06/2021 22:07:22

12/06/2021 08:22:25

20210611_135352.jpgGraupner and Krick sail winches. The Krick shown is the 1004MG which is a 4-turn winch to be tested out on the Colin Archer mainsail.20210611_135434.jpg

Edited By gecon on 12/06/2021 08:23:59

12/06/2021 08:15:12

Sorry, but I need to deviate from the promise of 'no babbling' in order to mentioned sail winches.

I mentioned a little about choice of sail winches long ago in the Fisher blog. Initially the only one I could get hold of easily (and almost locally) was the Graupner Regatta Eco Speed nr. 5217 -shown in the photo. The Fisher has 3.

The Krick sail winches were unknown to me until I bought the Comtesse yacht. This has only one winch - a 1406 MG - which has exactly the same specs as the Graupner 5217. The Krick is only marked with CE electrical approval label -embellished with "krick 79074". The case is exactly the same shape and size as the Graupner. The Graupner comes in a glossy sponge-filled box. The Krick comes in a 'plackey bag'. This may be why there's £40 price difference!

Graupner state that the 5217 as 'anologue'. Krick say their's is 'digital'.

I have bought both Graupner and Krick winches both locally, and from CMB -depeding on who had them in stock at the time. CMB with postage to Norway is about 30-40% cheaper than buying in Norway. Graupner winches are available again at graupner.de. I don't know what they cost now.

I recently bought two Krick 1004MG winches from CMB which have only 4 turns -as apposed to the others which have 6 turns. This winch has less power than the others is stated as being 'analogue' and is half the price. I would have prefered the 1006 MG which has 6 turns and same spec, but none were in stock. I will try the 1004MG on the Colin Archer mainsail as 4 turns should give sufficient sheet length.

All the Krick winches and the Graupner 5217 have enclosed drums which - I believe- will obviate the need for long sheet control runs below decks. I will probably need some spring tensioning on the foresail sheets to absorb the small differences in inhaul/outhaul lengths, but will try a different method than that used in the Fisher.

OMG; this really was a 'big babble' -and so far I'm only on coffee! Photos of the winches will be posted seperately.

George

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor