By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for gecon

Here is a list of all the postings gecon has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Colin Archer 1:15 scale
25/11/2020 07:48:30

As mentioned on the 'soapbox' I've ended up with another Colin Archer model. Not because I think it's so great but merely that -for me- it seems to tick all the boxes. Now that I've done so much on the scratch build Fisher, I'm no longer afraid of a kit with scanty instructions. At least all parts are already there! -contra drawing them on a piece of wood and cutting them out.

Buying the same kit again when the first one has only just been started on as a bit 'nuts' but, after looking around for another build and considering the prices here in Norway buying an abandoned, not-started kit is value for money AND environmentally freindly! There are several different CA models in the RS1 size of 46' so there is room for variations in the next kit.

For me, the Colin Archer is the right size, can take a wave or two, can sail in a breeze, can motor in 'no breeze', fit's in the car (just) and is not too heavy to lug around.

This kit has existed for many years so I expect that there no members here who are interested in a build log on it. I intend to complete the Fisher 34 build log but I won't be 'nagging the forum' with the Colin Archer kit build. If anyone wants to ask, I am of course I'm keen to tell what I learn from the build...if I can remember!

George

Thread: Fairey Swordsman 33
24/11/2020 06:44:06

Looking really beautifull Chris, very impressive indeed.

I think the oil and varnish combination you are using is the equivalant to the Norwegian treatments I applied to the Fisher decks....long time soaking in and drying but is repells water 100%.

George

Thread: What happened here?
23/11/2020 15:04:55

I'm not quite sure how it happened but, while browsing the web 2 days ago there was an old yacht kit for sale at £130. The new price of the equivalent kit here in Norway is £750. Should I have 'turned the page' and left well alone?

It was only 20 minutes drive from my flat so off I went. I could see from the photo on the web that the box had been stored for years -and maybe even been a bit 'damp' at some point.

I have bought another Colin Archer RS1 kit crook. It's a lifeboat damn-it, abandoned and left to it's own devices. I had to rescue it!

There is a little mildew on the sailcloth which I have treated with a good dose of 7% white vinegar. The paper drafts and the woodwork smell a bit 'fusty' so I have sprayed all with Cavicide which is a 'surface cleaning antibac'. It should kill the mildew causing the niffy smell.

The hull on this model is ready formed (ABS crook) so the problem of cutting/shaping/sanding 24 frames and then planking them is elliminated thumbs up. Nearly all the parts are laser cut. What's the problem?

I can hardly bare thinking about what I've done so I had to confess, sorry.

By the way, the Billing Boats kit Colin Archer is a model of 'RS1' = rescue ship nr.1 built in 1893. It was later named "Colin Archer" -after the designer.

This new (fusty/old) kit will be built as RS14 = rescue ship nr.14 built in 1901, which was named "Stavanger". RS14 is 1' longer than RS1. Don't know why yet, hope it' just the bowsprit!

The RS1 is still in comission as a training ship / tall ships races etc. The RS14 is on land at the Colin Archer museum in Larvik, eastern Norway.

I'll go away now...

George

Thread: FREE Bespoke Model of WWII HMS Diamond
20/11/2020 10:32:13

I think he's on his way allready.paddle battleship 48d035bae1b3e78554de708bb08fc094.jpg

Thread: Fisher 34 motorsailer
19/11/2020 15:35:15

Found out that the wheelhouse roof needs to be fitted (removeable) before shaping the wheelhouse forward window surrounds.

Note the clingfilm Ray!

George

15/11/2020 15:47:55

The Graupner HMS Prince of Wales looks low on the waterline on Youtube so bulb keel would be too much weight. Perhaps a transperent plastic fin would help. The PoW costs £1200 here so I doubt that it will be crossing the doorstep in my lifetime!

Back to the 'drawing bord'.

George

Thread: Tempted by a big Fairey
15/11/2020 15:39:02

Easy to understand his enthusiasm! The Swordsman and Huntsman hulls perform fantastically so no need to hold back on the superlatives there. I bought a used Swordsman 33" (?) with a 3.5cc diesel in Hong Kong (donkey's years ago!) and that was great fun. Very reponsive -especially with 'non-propo' OS reed R/C.

I was going to start talking about my old Sea Queen err, female head of UK , but decided not to go down that road again.

I'm on the lookout for something not too labour-intensive eg. the afore mentioned FairWAYS MarineTrawler 38.

George

15/11/2020 14:16:19

Hi Ashley, I have followed with interest your revitalisation of HMS Diamond. Very impressive work -and looks majestic on the water.

Now that you have sailed her, can I ask if there is much "rock & roll" under power?

I note that she's 6' long. What's the new displacement?

Most of the navy ships I see on YouTube seem to 'rock' quite a bit, making them look rather unrealistic. ie. The Graupner ready-mades... HMS Prince of Wales, HMS Hood, HMS Belfast and also the Billing Danish navy Absalon seem to rock a lot.

Maybe a bulb keel is called for?

As you have already noticed, I have started looking at "vessels without a sail". But I don't want a new 'labour-intensive' project.

George

15/11/2020 07:49:10

The current collection of painted parts (sorry) have now been epoxied in place on deck. I feel that a period of relative calm will prevail over the build for some while -probably until after Xmas.

The production of the 3-section wheelhouse front windows and 2-section roof will slow down the build as will the 3-section cabin roof. Have not decided how to produce any of this yet. Rooftops need to be removeable and watertight.

Cheers,

George

15/11/2020 07:18:17

I thought "soapbox" was "for general chat about anything". Anyway, I hope I did not offend anyone. I've read worse (better) on this forum and it wasn't even on "soapbox".

To avoid any further problems with the written word, I have decided to stay with my 'brand', FairWAYS Marine.

FairWAYS built the original Fishers and they also produced the "Trawler 38". Built about a dozen of them I think. The Trawler 38 looked a bit like a Fisher but, with a sharper bow, square stern, very short mast and a small block of flats where the wheelhouse should be. Mine will be about 100cm X 30cm x 35cm.

No problems with trying to make it plane either. With a brushed 600 and 7.2v it probably won't even move.

Stepping down from my soapbox and wishing all a pleasant, fairLy innuendo-free, Sunday,

George

14/11/2020 07:26:29
Posted by Dave Milbourn on 13/11/2020 12:09:30:

I would avoid any and all kits which were produced after the Precedent brand was taken over by Anglian Models. They were terrible. In particular the ply parts were die-crunched from worn-out tooling and consequently nothing fitted - gaps of 6mm were not uncommon. If that example you've seen was smothered in filler then I'm not surprised. Naturally your sailing waters would be a bit too much for a 24" model so I would suggest you either buy a new 1/8 scale SLEC kit or wait until a better example comes onto the market. Frankly I wouldn't pay £100 for an old and shabby model unless it had at least £100-worth of useable radio/running gear in it which I could use elsewhere.

Dave M

Thanks Dave, I promise that I won't even look at the shabby Fairey again. I mean who needs a shabby Fairey? Or even a shabby fairy!smiley

George

Edited By gecon on 14/11/2020 07:26:57

14/11/2020 07:22:19
Posted by Chris Fellows on 13/11/2020 10:47:55:

Hi George

Precedent also did a 1:11 scale at 34" version which would be ideal, in both timber and GRP hulls, which come up from time to time.

Or do as I'm doing, scratch build one at 1:12, 31". There are plans available though I drew my own to suit my method of building.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Another scratch build will result in an eviction order from the Admiralty......and I don't think I would even want to live with myself in a 'scratch-building' flat. Too much mess! Ready-made fibreglass hull sounds OK though I could accept the rest of the building process. Still got a Colin Archer (plastic) hull in the cellar store to focus on though.

George

14/11/2020 07:01:49

Hi Ray,

The short answer is a quote from the waiter 'Manuel' in Faulty Towers...."I know nauauthing".

The explanation is probably that the excessive pre-preparation of parts is due to NO experience at scratch building a boat. I have to make one part at a time in a sort-of logical sequence because I have little idea how the subsequent part/s are to be made in the first place!

The pre-painting is probably because I don't know which paint is going to give the required result. I had a lot of trouble earlier with the hull finish quality. The inexpensive full size boat paint I used did not flow out well at all so I ended up sanding it all down and airbrushing -which I also knew naught about!.

The components of the wheelhouse and cabin sides have now been painted using a well known quality Norwegian paint called 'Bengalack'. This idea came up when I saw that a chap in east Norway use it on his Colin Archer hull. It was smooth and (a bit too) glossy. It gives however the look of a fibreglass finish -even when brushed on- and that's what's needed on the Fisher.

I cannot see how this particular type of boat could be easily treated with sanding sealer, undercoat, sanding down all the surfaces -and corners- with all the 'boxes' ready assembled on deck. The required masking off would be a headache I suspect.

The next Fisher -which I will not be building- could have been a lot easiersmiley

I'm sorry, but I'm terrible with giving a short answer. I used to be able to say "Roger" and "Copied" but I'm over that now!

"OUT"

G-ECON

Edited By gecon on 14/11/2020 07:08:22

13/11/2020 13:23:53

20201113_133507.jpgIt seemed a good idea at the time but.... this morning I started having doubts about using the ready made Cap Maquettes plastic window frames on the cabin sides. Having strategically placed all the parts on deck I took some photos to help assess the 'look' of the finished article. Looks a bit cheesey with the Admiralty and I looking -simultaneously- out the windows on both sides of the yacht. I don't think the frames look TOO bad,20201113_133535.jpg but not too good either!

I liked however the idea of not making more hoIes than necessary in the cabin sides. Might just scrap this plan though and start again by cutting out the rectangles and 'framing' them in silver strip as with the wheelhouse. Maybe just recess the plastic frames (complete with cheesey photos) just inside the window cut-outs.

Deliberations will be completed before the Bristol Cream appetiser appears in early evening.

Wish all a peaceful and safe weekend,

George

13/11/2020 05:14:30

Hi Dave,

yes I did look at the SLEC "Fairey's" couple of days ago. 1/16 scale is a little small for my environment in Norway. There are no dedicated 'boating ponds' available -as there are natural lakes everywhere! These lakes have usually waves to the equivalent scale of a force 6 -except when they're frozen! Models need to be around the 1 metre size -and have a bit of displacement so they don't bob about like a champagne cork.

I do however acknowledge that boats around 120cm are not so easy to lug around. Particularily if there's also a 160cm mast -or two- on deck! I owned a 46" Sea Queen with a 22cc Ohlson petrol engine -donkey's years ago. But then I was young and keen AND living in the UK.

It may well be that 1-metre yachts with a lot of weight well below the waterline are best suited to my environment.

George

12/11/2020 12:38:56

Many thanks to all for the inputs. I have spent some time this morning 'zooming in' on the advert photos. Does not look particularily enticing.... and the wood MUST be old seeing that it's a Precedent kit.

The SLEC CNC cut kits are probably super in comparison but...just remembered one of the new admiralty regulations.... "no built-up hulls allowed in the kitchen". Hmmm...have to start building up som brownie points before Christmas.....how do you switch on a vacuum cleaner?

George

11/11/2020 21:47:54

I see that there is a part built 1/8th scale Precedent Fairey 31 kit for sale on the web in Norway. It must be pretty old and it looks shabby in the advert photos. The hull is built and is covered in what looks like lots of filler. Price £100

Any comments on quality of the old Precedent Fairey kit? One photo shows the rest of the box content including what looks like mahogany sheet. This one was certainly intended for IC power so I suppose needs a big brushless thingy and a dose of Lipo to make it move. Not really my thing but I have wondered about the kit kit quality......is it smarter to go for a new SLEC kit?

George

08/11/2020 11:39:23

Wheelhouse aft bulkhead now positioned -but not glued. Watchman looking out for some furnishings to put forward of the bulkhead. At least 8 weeks delivery time!

George20201108_122616.jpg

08/11/2020 07:40:10

20201108_080146.jpgThe components of the wheelhouse aft bulkhead have now been glued in place. Bulkhead will be loose fitted in position while the rest of the wheelhouse sides are constructed -sills, frames, glazing etc.

May add a clear acetate sheet to prevent water entering the wheelhouse. There is no plan for a cockpit drain -yet! Apart from the fact that a flooded cockpit will eventually drain into the bilge, hopefully without knackering the well-taped rudder servo below the cockpit floor.

We are also being told to stay at home as much as possible to try to hamper the new virus increase. Norway is quite lucky compared to the UK and Europe, but nobody who gets the bug here feels particularily 'lucky' -so 'stay at home and cut, 20201108_080246.jpgglue & paint everthing' is modus operandum again. Stay safe.

George

Edited By gecon on 08/11/2020 07:41:45

03/11/2020 13:54:34

20201103_141917.jpgAfter a long pause I've now managed to do a few more rather superficial jobs on the Fisher 34. Hope I can get back into the swing of things during the next few days.

The 'glazing' / window-framing work is not going to be as poltically correct as I had first hoped. The window frames should be rounded on the inside curve as well as the outside but I don't think I can muster up the necessary eyesight nor steadyness-of-hand to do the job properly. So I think it's best to hop over that bit and not push my luck.

Ray mentioned the "Formula 560" canopy glue a while ago. My 1/3 full bottle was first used on the Balsacraft Spitfire and Hurricane models about 20 years ago -so it ages well! The 'glazing' has been cut to the shape of the opening so that it fits into it, leaving a small ledge on each side. The inside edges will not be framed in strip -simply painted in Tamiya Titan Silver. Frame it all later if I can't live with the short-cut.

Some of the wheelhouse sections have now been undercoated...yet 20201103_141808.jpgagain. The gloss enamel I had applied was not well done at all so out came the wet&dry again. Changing paint too. Hope the new stuff will self-level a bit better.

George

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor