By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy F

Here is a list of all the postings Andy F has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Clyde Paddler
26/07/2019 15:26:00

Back from sunny Spain to sunny Britain. Who'd have guessed it?

Anyway. More materials arrived so I've been mostly this past couple of days in the garage playing with my boat and the silhouette cutter. This is progress so far:

20190726_1.jpg

I'm still toying with the 2 motor/2 gearbox idea but I can't get my head around what control I'd need. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

17/07/2019 12:39:52

Lots of really interesting info coming out here, cheers chaps. I was considering using a twin motor/gearbox setup so I could have independent wheels. I will look into this further.

There will be no progress on this build until next week because I'm waiting for delivery of some bits/materials and because of this I've decided to avail myself of a bit of Spanish sunshine - a few days at the house in Torrevieja smile d

14/07/2019 23:05:52

I have a new project.

Zapped into action by remembering my old paddle steamer from years ago, I've decided to make another one. A bit more detailed this time and sadly electric powered not steam and very loosely based on this (below, Greyhound based at Blackpool) but with a more Clydeside Scottish feel to it

greyhound.jpg

This is progress so far:

20190713_2.jpg

20190713_1.jpg

It's a shade under 1 metre long with a beam of 9" (I love mixing measurements. I'm old, it's allowed) and I'm currently really enjoying cladding the hull with 120x 3mm styrene strips (don't ask). It's taking forever....

Question:

I was thinking of using a Tamiya 72003 motor/gearbox unit in it. Has anyone got any thoughts on this? If so I'd love to hear them.

More progress reports as and when

Thread: New old new modeller needs help
05/07/2019 14:36:48

That sounds like it could be a date, assuming the financial controller doesn't want to go to the garden centre again...

In the meantime, I'm still waiting for my motors to arrive so I've been playing.

It's not meant to be an exact replica of any particular boat, just going wherever my mind takes me.

20190705_1.jpg20190705_2.jpg20190705_3.jpg

20190705_4.jpg

Thread: Trawling the depths of my grey matter. Past builds.
02/07/2019 09:42:46

Here's some treasure from the garage.

heather-elf.jpg

Heather Elf.

Bought new in 1948 by my grandfather for his 8 yr old son (my dad). It's 20 inches long and I'm told it has an automatic steering system whatever one of those is. It's had some remedial work done over the years, new sails, ropes, etc and to be honest, it could do with a bit more.

HMS Clifford.

hms-clifford.jpg

Built by my grandad's brother, Uncle Clifford (hence the name) some time between 1938 and 1960 when he was serving in the Merchant Navy. I know absolutely nothing about this boat, I don't even know if it's a model of a real ship but I don't intend to do anything with it, it's exactly as it was left - unfinished, on the day he died.

It's 32" long and the hula girl has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

The small white boat in front is actually made of cardboard, again by my Uncle.

Edited By Andrew Fallows on 02/07/2019 09:44:53

02/07/2019 09:21:41

That's a shame, the 14th. I'm not out again until the 17th.sad

Ah well, there's always next time. September maybe, I'll be there from the 6th onwards.

Andy

02/07/2019 04:37:30

Charles Oates:

I didn't realise before but we're practically neighbours. I have a house in Torrevieja, by the red lake. It would be nice to walk down to the park of nations some sunday for a look see what's going on.

28/06/2019 17:03:41
Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 28/06/2019 13:27:49:

....I recommend you start buying MB's magazine, particularly good free plan in next month's issue 😀

I'm intrigued...

28/06/2019 13:23:01

So. Decent light and some spare time so pics as promised. I've still got loads to do but it's coming along nicely.

20190628_4.jpg

20190628_3.jpg20190628_2.jpg

20190628_1.jpg

28/06/2019 01:43:45

Some may have seen from my post in the beginners section that I am returning to boat modelling after about 35 yrs or so (wife, family, etc - the usual suspects) with my rebuilding of a 34" cruiser.

Anyway, it got me thinking about things I'd done in the past and one that really sticks in my mind was this, or almost this because I have no photos of the real thing and this is the closest I can find off t'interweb:

steamer.jpg

I found some interesting plans in an old copy of Model Boats (I think) way back in the early 80's.They used to do full size pull out plans in the magazine back then, do they still?

Sitting on the back seat of the 184 bus home from Oldham one day, it was one of those "I bet I could build that" moments but being me I decided to go a stage further and have a REAL steam engine powering it, an old Mamod I had in my bedroom (I was in my early 20's so it's excusable).

At a shade over 36" long and 8" beam, I had hours of fun building it with all the fancy bits here and there, just like in the picture above in fact and actually sailing it several times whilst trying not to set it on fire every time I fired the boiler up. The steam engine drove both paddle wheels by way of a large Meccano wheel and a strip of sheepskin off my jacket sleeve (it was the 80's) and it was radio controlled in as much as it went forwards and left or right when I wanted it to but that was about it. No more control than that. That was it. That's all.

Even though I say it myself, it did look rather stunning when it was finished.

It's a bit sad really because my last memory of this boat is about 1990 and me removing all the valuable stuff and sending it off on a Valhalla style voyage on our local pond while I took pot shots at it with my .22 BSA Meteor air rifle.

It didn't end well for the boat.crying 2

Thread: Hello and what have I started?
28/06/2019 00:38:47

I love the way that your workshop is almost as untidy as mine. I feel we could have a bond forming heresmile d

Nice model btw and good luck with the motors. I'm in the same boat as it were (no pun intended) with mine - 2 props, 2 rudders, bags of enthusiasm but zero knowledge.

28/06/2019 00:22:20

OK .I've read and partially understood most of the responses I've had here and as a result I've decided not to entertain the idea of a gearbox. Instead, I've bagged myself a couple of these for a decent price:

motor.jpg

As far as I can remember, these are the same as the ones I originally had all those years ago and I was happy with them back then.

Which leads me to my next question - well, two questions really. Can I run both of these motors from one of these new fangled speed controller thingies? and if so which one would people recommend?

and

What kind of battery pack (packs) would I need?

Apologies once again for coming across like a complete numpty but like I said, the last time I did boats was 35 years ago and there's been a lot of water under the bridge since then. Ask me something about N gauge railways and I can bore you to death all day long.... but each to their own eh?

The boat is coming along nicely btw. Maybe if I get some time and some good light I'll do some progress photos tomorrow

PS

My wife has just reminded me that all those years ago the Sea Commander kit cost me the tidy sum of £25. She remembers that because it was almost as much as I paid for her engagement ring.

You see, that's how it should be - get your priorities right in the first place crook

Edited By Andrew Fallows on 28/06/2019 00:27:43

Edited By Andrew Fallows on 28/06/2019 00:29:59

20/06/2019 19:31:35

I've been searching around in the garage and I found a box of forgotten bits and pieces. In amongst it all was the a big bundle of wires and stuff that consisted of original radio receiver, servos and other electrical bits and bobs that haven't seen the light of day for 30-odd years.

While I'm not expecting any of it to work after so long, it got me thinking. Everything I did back then was simple. The couplers for the prop shafts were sections of silicon spark plug leads glued onto the shafts and the original speed controller was a strange Tamiya offering that fitted directly on top of a servo. I remember my dad tried to get me interested in electronics by buying me a Maplin R/C speed controller kit but I didn't get interested so he built it for me and it worked. That is in the box too. Unfortunately the motors are lost to the mists of time but everything else is there. Simple but it all worked.

Surely I don't need to spend megabucks to get it running again, 2 motors, some batteries and some kind of speed controller should be all I need. right?dont know

17/06/2019 08:30:34

If I remember rightly from all those years ago, I think I'd done some work on the boat and I'd taken the prop shafts out for some reason then like a moron I forgot to re-grease them when I reassembled them. They acted just like Archimedes screws and sucked water into the hull. Maybe 'sank' is a bit of an exaggeration. More like it achieved 'Neutral Buoyancy', almost submarine mode, and managed to ruin all the electrics. Maybe that's why it was put on a shelf and forgotten about.

Question: If I was to go with the single motor option, would it be an easy enough job to source some kind of gearbox assembly to drive 2 props in opposite directions (clockwise/counter clockwise)? It's not a question of cost so much as simplicity and 1 motor, 1 controller, 1 battery seems simple enough for me

16/06/2019 08:51:00

Thanks for the reply Chas. I think I'm going to need all the help I can get with this, it seems like completely new territory to me. I've managed to trace the original kit the boat was built from and it was an Aerokits Sea Commander but any resemblance to that kit is now distant history.

I've had a read through the article you recommended, quite interesting it was too but it left me feeling more clueless that I already was. All the terminology is alien to me, I'm more used to model railways really - I understand them!

From what I can gather, the general one size fits all motor would be the 540. Would this be correct? If so I'd need two of them so any ideas as to what sort of battery/batteries I'd need?

Regarding your last paragraph. As it stands at the moment, the bare hull weighs just under 2 kilos. I'd guess that once everything is built/fitted I could probably double that. I don't intend for the boat to be an out and out racer but neither do I want it to be a staid plodder. A mix of both would be nice.

Any recommendations and advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

15/06/2019 00:16:16

Hi all

Returning to the model boat world after a 30 odd year hiatus. Maybe it was something to do with marriage and kids, I dunno but...

I've recently re-acquired a boat - well just a hull really - that I built about 35 years ago and I'd like to get it going again.It's been sitting on a shelf in my garage for about 5 years taunting me and I'd like to do something with it.

It started life as a cabin cruiser, then it was converted to an ASR boat , then it sank and then it sort of died a death for many years.

This is it, or what's left of itp&s_800.jpg

It's 34" long and 9 and a bit " wide. twin props, twin rudders and as I recall, it worked very well.... until it sank.

I'd very much like to resurrect it in its ASR mode but I need help with what sort of motors, speed controllers, batteries, etc. In fact more or less everything electrical that would be needed to get it doing what it was built to do.

I am completely out of touch with modern developments and as I said, I built this boat about 35 years ago and a lot has happened since then, hence I've forgotten all I knew about this sort of thing.

I've acquired a nice 4 channel r/c set up for it but that's it so far.

I need help.

Please.

Edited By Andrew Fallows on 15/06/2019 00:16:45

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor