By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy F

Here is a list of all the postings Andy F has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mahealani - 75' motor yacht 1/24 scale
17/08/2020 16:53:39

So. Latest progress pictures.

20200817_1.jpg

20200817_2.jpg

As usual, superstructure & fittings placed for photographic effect. There is still a lot of filling/finish fitting to do on the hull itself but it's getting there.

Thread: Outside the box thinking - 1970's Sea Commander
17/08/2020 16:43:49

So given the facts that:

a) I'm not flying a plane and

b) I don't want to go brushless,

I've decided to stick with the original suggestion of 2x Speed 600's. It's only 40 quid so what the hell.

Also, I'm taken with Charles' suggestion of going back to what it was (more or less) with a few cosmetic alterations.

Does anyone have a copy of plans for the Sea Commander superstructure they could let me have or borrow?

16/08/2020 22:54:59

A couple of questions arising from Ray's answer.

What's the difference between Graupner Speed 600 and Mtroniks 600 apart from 7 quid each? Do they operate equally well in either direction (the boat has opposite handed props, which I like)?

and

Why specifically Nicads?

I honestly have no clue whatsoever about electrical stuff, I'm here to be guided.

Thanks for the help so far yes

16/08/2020 20:24:18

Whatever motors it had are lost to the mists of time but I seem to recall that they were nothing special, maybe 2 - 21/2 " long and run off a single 6v SLA battery and a single old school rheostat speed controller. It didn't go very fast but it was designed as a cruiser so that didn't matter too much.

Ideally I'd like a bit more woomph if possible but for some reason I'm scared of brushless.

16/08/2020 15:23:09

I quite like the looks of the Swordsman.

What kind of motor/battery combo would I be looking at bearing in mind the boat as it is weighs in at a shade under 2.5 kg?

16/08/2020 11:07:17

About 40ish years ago I built a Sea Commander kit, which was good and I had many hours of fun with it but then I discovered things with wheels and things with boobs (both of which my dad told me were not good for me and would cause me grief. He was right, as usual). The boat lay unloved for many years and underwent several unsuccessful 'restorations' in many guises over those years, the latest of which is this one (below).I never really liked this version so I'm looking to do something different with it.

20190705_2.jpg

Has anyone got any ideas as to what can be built onto an almost standard Sea Commander hull without too much butchery? Ideally I'd like to keep the twin motor/twin rudder arrangement that one of the previous restorations left me with. I think it looks quite good.

Thread: New name.
10/08/2020 22:26:12

Sorted. Thanks.

10/08/2020 09:27:29

So how did you fix it? I have the same (obvious) issue.

Thread: Mahealani - 75' motor yacht 1/24 scale
09/08/2020 16:50:41

So the hull is finally planked, sanded down and partially P38'd. It finally looks a bit more like a boat.

20200809_1.jpg

Loads more to do yet but I've also sorted out the propshaft binding issue I was having.

I've discovered a slight hiccup in my plan though....

It won't fit in the car face 5

car.jpg

Serves me right for buying something so practical I suppose..crook

Edited By Andrew Fallows on 09/08/2020 16:52:01

06/08/2020 22:42:35

So with all the superstructure removed, hull planking began in earnest today.

20200806_1.jpg

One side is almost complete and I've done about 2" of the other side. This much has taken all day..... it's going to be a long job.

My plan is once it's all planked then I will sand it all smooth-ish then cover & dope(?) it. Once I'm happy with that I'll skim it with Isopon and resin the inside.

Any thoughts on this plan of action? I'm open to suggestions.

04/08/2020 11:37:52

So I've finally made a start on planking the hull and what a tedious job it is too - put a few pieces on, wait for the glue to dry then repeat ad infinitum....

20200804_1.jpg

So in the meantime I've been playing with more interesting stuff such as...

replacing the wholly unsatisfactory wooden deck with a more aesthetically pleasing plastic one.

20200804_2.jpg

Stocking the bar...

20200804_3.jpg

Building a tent...

20200804_4.jpg

and figuring out where best to put the gorgeous Ellie.

20200804_5.jpg

All these bits are currently still removeable so that when I eventually finish building the hull I will still have easy access to the interior for waterproofing and ballast etc.

I do have one slight problem though. I set the aluminium plate (1st photo) to mount the motors on at the wrong angle and consequently the motors/propshafts are binding. Not good but easily fixable.

16/07/2020 17:16:02
Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 16/07/2020 16:57:29:

....is there another model boat forum? 😀😀😀

Regards Ray

Not as far as I'm concerned secret

To be honest, I think doing the interesting stuff first is a mistake and it's one I always make. It's just that I get bored doing planks.

Important stuff that I forgot to mention earlier.

Twin motors (385's as per recommendation), twin rudders, 9.6v NiMH (again as recommended) and a Viper Marine 15 ESC.

On that other site kulou I saw an interesting video of a similar craft all fancied up with party lights so I've invested a whole £1.79 on a string of coloured LEDs to drape along the boat. 

Gaudy or what?

Edited By Andrew Fallows on 16/07/2020 17:37:22

16/07/2020 15:48:20

BTW in case anyone's wondering, Mahealani is a Hawaiian word which translates as heavenly moonlight or heavenly mist depending upon who you listen to. In my case it was a pleasant young lady in Lahaina, Maui a few years ago.

16/07/2020 15:44:28

I've managed to get bored with all my other creations so whilst wondering what I could do next I found a set of plans on the internet and thought... Hmmmm... like you do.

mistral_800.jpg

I wanted something no larger than 1 metre in length (because I'd struggle to get anything bigger in the car) and this one came in at 1250mm or thereabouts so it had to be scaled down slightly. Not a problem and construction began in earnest. My preferred medium is plastic (shock horror) so all the various bits were scanned into a cutter and the parts made. I tend to use laminated 20 thou styrene which is strong but surprisingly light and easy to work with.

I've already had a lot of help and advice from various people on another site (which shall remain nameless) but for reasons of actually daring to have an opinion about something, I was summarily banned. If anyone here was a contributor to my thread over there then I'd like to thank them for all their assistance.

Anyway, the build so far:

20200716_1.jpg

The superstructure (which is removable at this stage) is almost complete, the motors, radio gear and battery are in the garage waiting for me to decide where to place them. I intend to sort of plank the hull using long 4x2mm balsa 'planks' with a coat of epoxy on the inside for both strength and waterproofing.

More bits:

20200716_2.jpg

The rear cabin bar/lounge area. This will eventually be populated with G scale figures and properly stocked and illuminated.

20200716_5.jpg

The rear sun deck area. This area will have a 'canvas' canopy draped over it eventually and maybe a table.

20200716_3.jpg

The pilot house. All but finished with real wood cladding on the walls. Chintzy.

20200716_4.jpg

The other boat. Not sure what to call this really. Is it a lifeboat? Is it just a get you to and from boat? Whatever, the basic shell is one my great uncle built about 50 years ago. All I've done is pimp it up a little with a rudder and a tarp.

That's it for now. There's lots more bits and pieces to do, not least of which is clad the hull and sand off those very rough deck planks but that's for another day.

Thanks for reading

Andy

Thread: 24" Lockdown Lunacy
21/05/2020 11:31:30

It's not the best picture in the world, it's a screenshot from a you tube video (hence the blurriness).

I'm not sure what you would call it but it is an actual thing and I've actually seen the actual thing. Not floating, obviously because it's not a working boat any more but yes, it is based on an actual prototype.

Charles (Oates) would probably know what it is, it's fairly close to where he lives.

009.jpg

21/05/2020 10:50:01

I'm not really sure where to put this but seeing as it was built entirely from bits lying around in my garage it can go in scratch build.

20200521_2.jpg

20200521_1.jpg

20200521_3.jpg

Yes it's a bit mucky and it needs another coat of paint but any guesses as to what it is?

Thread: Servo question - a long shot
14/02/2020 11:13:03

I've recently acquired a set of servos for a project I'm working on and I'm after some information.

They're old Futaba FP=S18 and 18L (see photo)

I need to know the angle of travel. I've trawled the internet for specs but this model would appear to be somewhat stone age and therefore no information is available. What I have gleaned from various places though is that it could be either 45 or 60 degrees but is this total or either direction? It makes a great difference to my plans.

Just wondering if anyone has any of these and happens to know the answer off hand.

Thanks in advance.

servos.jpg

Edited By Andrew Fallows on 14/02/2020 11:13:41

Thread: Railway Ferry
14/01/2020 12:11:54

I've finally got the hull more or less finished, even built myself a little stand to but the boat on.

I need a slight re-think on the gearbox though. I think I overdid it a bit with the fibreglass resin I used to seal the inside and it doesn't sit right any more.

Problems problems crook

Lots more to do on it but it's still getting there... slowly.

20200114_1.jpg20200114_2.jpg20200114_3.jpg

29/12/2019 15:20:58

So after a month of apparent inaction, a progress report.

A slight miscalculation on my part regarding the dimensions of the motor/gearbox assembly has meant that I've had to increase the draught of the ship, resulting in it looking a bit 'fat' under the waterline.

Oh well. It can't be helped and it's too late to do anything about it now and anyway, as I said, it's below the waterline so I can't see it.

20191229_1.jpg

The steering assembly's been a bit of a mare too. For simplicity and convenience I've decided to operate both rudders from one servo. This means that I have to cross the cables or rods(haven't decided which yet) in order for the rudders to operate in synch. To top it all, I have less than 10mm of space to play with due to the positioning of the rudders and the train deck (where the pegs are).

BUT.....

It's getting there. Slowly.

28/11/2019 09:45:41

0 gauge would make this model 7'6" long. That's a bit too big.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Nylet
Sarik
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor