By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Cooper 6

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Cooper 6 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Motor /Controller /Prop upgrade
30/08/2019 17:30:48

Hi folks, progress is slow but steady - a few questions please :-

1. Is it a good idea to run the Rx aerial up a foremast (not yet fitted) to the mainmast and then down to the aft jackstaff ?

2. Second pic shows 'vintage' installation but with modern LiPo (1500 MaH). OK for bath testing I think, but, will probably need an upgrade to drive shaft (2 > 4mm) and replacing the Bob's board with a modern ESC.

3. Final pic - is the waterline red too red...I was thinking maybe a car accessory Red Primer (or similar) may be better ?

Boat will be re-numbered in due course as I've yet to see any RAF launches of this type numbered over 2xxx.

Thanks for any answers /assistance.

Dave

30/08/2019 17:16:39

waterline red paint.jpg

30/08/2019 17:15:51

vintage installation.jpg

30/08/2019 17:14:56

new mast and jackstaff.jpg

Thread: Throttle Stick not working
30/08/2019 17:00:53

Hi All

Problem solved ! I think Dave M gave the clue with my 'ham-fisted' removal of the throttle pot' to fit the ratchet...

Hull has been in masking stage up to today hence the delay in testing.

Thanks for all the other clues /advice.

Dave C

ps if anyone else has the same problem see previous post for a possible remedial action.

24/08/2019 20:26:21

As a change from preparing the hull of the little RAF launch for spraying, I unsoldered the 'faulty' pot' and took some resistance readings. Lo and behold, they were almost identical to the steering pot....

So, I carefully re-set the pot's centre (using the ohms scale on the multimeter) and matched it to the stick's angular centre position. Then re-soldered and re-fitted it to the main circuit board. Whilst I was at it, a quick reinforcement of the aerial and battery spring (negative) finished off the internal Tx work for now. Also found a circuit description of the main Futaba IC (24 pin dual in-line) - encoder /modulator and did some random continuity checks (audio low-pass filter etc)

If this does not do the trick I'll have to read my Tektronics manual and dust off my 'scope !

Dave

Thread: Motor /Controller /Prop upgrade
24/08/2019 18:24:17

Hi Ashley - yes, might have to revert to your blue Styrofoam idea. Must brush up on my hydrodynamics !

Dave

24/08/2019 14:16:55

Correction : previous post should have read motor = 380 (current starting point for tests).

Note from the workshop, it's amazing how grey primer shows up all the little inconsistencies !

24/08/2019 11:09:03

Sorry about the photo sizing folks - I tried many times to get it right !

Bow undercut : shows a profile (loosely) as used on RAF craft. Runs aft to the step.

Bow step : shows the shallow 'v' shape of the step which is about 1/3 back from the bow. (Not yet tried in practice just an idea at this stage).

Superstructure : in the early stages of the refurb'. Not sure about mast height yet - they were quite tall though. Turret to be replaced, guns (loosely) twin Bofors. Wheelhouse scale is roughly 1/48 judging by some German artillery figures I have !

Any ideas where I can source a suitable turret ? Will probably test run with the existing motor (350) and prop (30) plus a 1500 MaH LiPo until some experience gained...

Dave

24/08/2019 10:55:29

bow undercut.jpg

24/08/2019 10:54:42

bowstep.jpg

24/08/2019 10:53:24

superstructure.jpg

23/08/2019 22:00:09

Hi Ray - thanks for the confidence vote. Despite 'conforming' with all the size /type guidelines, they still don't fit in the post box.

Dave

23/08/2019 20:37:52

Thanks for the link Charles but one problem remains...

Re-sized 3 images in Paint (all jpegs), typically, these are now 150x113 pixels and around 166 Kb in size.

Then, created the album and uploaded the re-sized images. Using the camera symbol then inserts the image into the forum post box but the size is massive, fills the whole box and even needs scroll bars to view it !

Name of the Album is "Dave's RAF Launch" if you want a look-see.

Confused of Wiltshire...

23/08/2019 15:49:54

Hi Folks

I have a few images to share comments on, but, could not get any of the 'image' icons on the "Post a reply" window to work. Also, it's nearly 60 years since I studied any Latin, so, that window /frame wasn't much help either !

There must be an easier way !!!

Dave

Thread: Throttle Stick not working
17/08/2019 10:17:44

Thanks for the advice Malcolm. I've just sent off for two new pot's. If it doesn't then work they won't break the bank (@ 59p each).

I'll let you know how I get on,

Dave

15/08/2019 14:27:46

Hmmm, yes, you could have something there...

I think I'll give it one last go before consigning it to that big spares box in the sky !

Dave C

14/08/2019 21:16:55

Hi both - thanks for the replies. The test set up is Tx /Rx /and 2 servos known to be good. (I swapped the servos over and got the same result)...

Throttle stick advanced - servo does not move. Same stick retracted - servo does not move. Servo reverse switch activated throttle servo goes to extreme position in one direction only. Yes, Dave I did not make this clear !! No ESC in the circuit at all, just conventional Futaba S3003 servos.

Thinking back over my moves to fit the ratchet, I think I may have accidentally 'tweaked' the spindle - this tends to lean toward a mechanical problem - well spotted Dave, if that's the case ! Presumably, the servo reverse is purely electrical, so, if the pot is 'parked' on zero before the switch is thrown then throwing it would give travel to the other extreme.

Now to the remedy :

1. Try and reattach spindle to pot - full strip down ?

2. Fit new pot and try and get it to mate with existing stick unit (plenty of "B5k's" available with different shaft spec's)

3. Source new stick unit complete - there must be some out there, but, they seem to have eluded me so far.

Update : one of the battery springs has just let go and is resisting solder manfully ! The set is fighting back ! I think a LiPo / NiMh uprade is also on the cards...

What 'fun'

Dave

13/08/2019 21:08:52

Hi all

A little electronics 'teaser' problem on a 27 MHz Futaba Attack II Tx :

After fitting a throttle ratchet to the left-hand stick, the unit ceases to function with the exception of servo reverse - which works as expected...

Meter readings from the pot' are similar, but not exactly the same, as the right-hand unit. Just wondering if I should change the pot, or, try and source a complete new stick unit. As the set is now approx. 15 years old this could be tricky !!!

I'm tempted to junk it and go 2.4, but, don't like being beaten by a niggle such as this. Any ideas gratefully received,

Dave

Thread: Help - 48 inch Fairey Huntsman 31
08/08/2019 15:55:50

Hi Andrew,

I wouldn't automatically exclude brushed motors as there some advantages for marine use. However, that is a big model !

I'm sure the experts will be along soon to give you all the advice you need...

Good luck with your project,

Dave

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Nylet
Restorers Wanted
Shrek
Premier March
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor