By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Cooper 6

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Cooper 6 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: RAF Launch accessories
17/03/2020 20:43:40

I've been busy doing a trial build of my sportscar's front suspension today, including making a 'dummy' damper (shock-absorber). Also, finishing a refurb' on a RC glider (Italian aerobatic team)...

When I feel like a change, yes, some deck fittings would be nice. I've seen yellow and black chequer on the foredeck too. Also, some boats have a number there (squadron no. ?) but, not necessarily the hull number...and, some have the hull number on the stern as well ! It's difficult to know where to stop with this 'accessories' thing.

Fairleads could be fun, with some coiled rope (probably string to keep the scale). However, that rotating gun turret thing is at the back of my mind....

Dave

15/03/2020 21:18:33
Posted by redpmg on 14/03/2020 14:33:41:

Hi Dave - was not a comment on your boat - my avatar is painted +- real colour - but I would never change it . As Ashley says its your boat - arose more from Ashley's comment re the accessories .

No worries all comments and ideas welcome. Never too old to learn !!!

Dave

14/03/2020 22:44:07

PM sent Ray,

Dave

14/03/2020 21:11:23

Hi Ray - I think it'll probably be a sailing yacht like "Ardent" (from the Sarik plan), but, with vane steering, RC and 'Arduino' like we discussed on the other thread.

Problem is I've just got too many hobbies /projects ! eg Model Railways (mainly winter), Gliding (mainly summer) - full-size and RC. I'm also designing and building a Le-Mans style sports car for sprint and hill-climb events. Oh yes, did I mention art, drumming and playing guitar ? Not really any good at these but it's part of my 'recuperation' from a mental illness some years ago...

The Arduino thing is just a starter kit now. I'll try and get the gun turret rotating randomly as a 'toe-in-the-water'. Forgot to mention I'm 18 chapters into my first novel "The Adventures of a Glider Pilot" and, I need to fit in a bit of sleep here and there.....never bored though !

Dave

13/03/2020 17:12:11

Hmmm, interesting. My boat is approx. 1/48 scale (although I would only call it 'fun scale' !).

As an amateur artist, I do understand about "recession" and often use it in my paintings /model railway dioramas etc.

Am now wondering if my hull is too black /red ? I think the acid test will be what does it look like on the water....

Hopefully, we'll know the answer to that soon.

Dave

12/03/2020 20:38:41

Hi Ashley

Yes, the flag is actually 20mm long even though we specified 30mm in the printer settings - it must have been having an off-day ! I agree, it would look better on the stern jack staff with a bigger one on the main mast - either 30mm or 40mm, I'll try both.

Splinter mats - they did have roughed up edges although this doesn't seem to show up in the photos. I'll try your colour suggestions though as they do seem a bit 'drab'. I think in real life they were fabric (canvas ?) covered. So, I'll try and get a fold or two into them.

Just need some good weather now to give it a run !

Dave

12/03/2020 15:34:52

Ready for sea trials : I think the ensign is a little small and the splinter mats need a bit more work...?

ready for sea trials.jpg

29/02/2020 10:51:52

Just about to run the RAF ensign up the main mast. This is the last planned accessory for now until proper water trials begin.

Will also water test the cabin glazing for leaks in case of an 'upside down' first time out.

Photos to follow. If the water trials are OK, will next motorise the gun turret for rotation. This will need some Arduino input to generate random numbers for motor on /delay etc. (Have to get my head around programming in 'C' to do this !).

Dave

Thread: What is this boat?
26/02/2020 10:56:57

Very mysterious. Looks like a conventional Bermudan Sloop rig. Size - LoA, Beam etc ?

I think I would try Google Translate (Russian < > English) to see if any of the box art items /instructions give a clue.

Failing that, you could try it in the bath and see whether it has any potential for a pond yacht...(if it sinks it's probably a display item !).

Dave

Thread: Vosper rttl
25/02/2020 15:37:04

Superglue certainly fogged one of my 'clearviews' and epoxy made the other one look like it had shipped some water.

Interesting effects if that's what you're after !

For the normal (cabin) acetate glazing I used Wilcos general purpose glue (which can be contact or 'contact-less' as per requirements). Probably best to go with Ray's suggestion though.

Dave

24/02/2020 11:28:46

Thanks all,

I have the cabin secured to the hull via a bent wire hook over a cross-beam inside the cabin sides. There are then two elastic bands going from the hook to two further hooks mounted on the hull sides. Looked at from the bows, this forms an inverted 'V' shape and is quite secure and takes just a few seconds to fit.

The (rotating) gun turret base could leak in an 'upside down' - I think I'll just seal this off with Vaseline for now and give it a go. Just need some good weather for initial trials !

Dave

23/02/2020 20:03:41

Hi All - a quick question on buoyancy:

Is it worth fitting internal buoyancy in some form to my RAF launch - Length 16", beam 6.5" (Balsa /Liteply construction) ?

As you can imagine, space inside the hull is tight - but there is the odd void here and there. The deck to superstructure has a 10mm high 'wall' and is a tight fit to help keep any water out. The area at the base of the gun turret is also a snug fit.

So I guess I'm looking at a full hull inversion situation at worst ?? If I do need to fit something what should it be - expanded polystyrene foam /blue foam or something else carved to fit into small spaces...

There is a sort of double-hull 'up front' between the bow sheeting and the step sheeting.

Dave

21/02/2020 21:51:31

Splinter mats and searchlight now made and mounted. (I can only award myself 7 out of 10 for these but they may improve with better painting).

My wife has kindly offered to print an RAF ensign for me so, more photos to follow when this is run up the mast !

Dave

Thread: wiring question for newbie
18/02/2020 22:06:05

Neil

The resistor in Harry's diagram is acting as a "current limiter". LEDs will blow (fail) at quite low current values so the resistor is there to 'protect' it.

Harry suggests 180 ohms, Dave M 390 or 430 ohms dependant on colour / type. Look up the spec' sheet for the LEDs you want to use.

If you want to experiment, (low wattage) resistors are dirt cheap. You can get a whole strip for less than £1. Start with a high value one and work down in increments until you get the brightness you want.

I've no experience of LEDs with 'built-in' resistors, but again the spec' sheet should give you all the gen' on that.

To get a particular resistor's colour code, just enter the ohms value into google and you'll get a pretty picture !

Dave

18/02/2020 15:28:20

Hi Neil

From my own experience, I would say that a simple on/off ('2-prong' switch will suffice, unless, perhaps, you may want a third "test" position for certain accessories or something.

As Dave M says, make sure the switch is rated for maximum current draw (eg mine is rated at 6 amps for use with a 2 amp fuse). This gives the switch a good safety margin.

I would bench test your twin motors running flat out (for a very short period), just to see what they are drawing. Under load (ie in the water) it could be more...Also, check that your chosen ESC has an appropriate current rating.

Good luck,

Dave

18/02/2020 10:50:15

Hmm, yes - might try a paper one first. If that doesn't work Colin's solution wins !

Dave

17/02/2020 16:59:13

Splinter mats (6) and a searchlight now under construction. Will post some more images when complete and fitted to the wheelhouse.

Any ideas for a RAF ensign to fly from the main mast ? I'd prefer cloth to paper....I think I've got an old light blue shirt somewhere which just leaves a scale Union Flag and a Roundel to complete.

Dave

Thread: Vosper rttl
16/02/2020 11:58:54

Hi Michael

I used Halfords grey primer for the lower superstructure and Humbrol "Mid-Grey" for the deck.

You may be able to judge for yourself from the latest "Accessories" posts of my boat.

It was quite an over-cast day, and, as Ashley says, this can have a big affect on the perceived 'hue'. If you have a selection of greys available, I would try them out on pieces of scrap wood and then offer them up in different combinations.

Dave

13/02/2020 15:56:25

Splinter Mats and a Search Light should complete the launch before 'sea trials' in the Spring (or, sooner if the weather gets kinder !)

This is my first boat and something of an own-design.

Please feel free to comment.../suggest improvements etc.

Regards,

Dave

13/02/2020 15:49:12

Rear Gunner trying out the revised Turret

rear gunner and turret.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Shrek
Sarik
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor