By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Cooper 6

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Cooper 6 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Iím new to Model Boats and would appreciate some adviceÖ
14/10/2021 09:56:13

That goes for me too - perhaps someone can enlighten us ?

Dave

Thread: Returning modeller
07/10/2021 10:54:00

Ray's method looks good providing you know where to put the line...

For commercial shipping this is an insurance requirement (Lloyd's Register ?). For leisure craft, it seems to mainly denote the anti-fouling line (I could be wrong there...).

The bath test, with ballast, would be a good starting point for a model backed up by real-life photos. Water-line markings are usually shown on designer's 'lines' drawings and /or the shipwrights experience of similar craft.

If the model's hull side is not dead smooth, it might be an idea to use sanding sealer (or similar) to fill in the 'dimples'. If this is not done paint can bleed under the masking tape and spoil the finished line.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Thread: old hand but new to wooden boat building
05/10/2021 10:13:51

Hi George and welcome to the forum.

A quick Google search suggests that the kit is still available :-

scalemates.com

oldmodelkits.com

worthpoint.com, etc.

They may be able to help with a photocopy or two ?

You've also posted here in the "Beginners Section" of the forum, so you could try broadening the search to other areas where folk may still have the original box /instructions 'on the shelf'.

Good hunting !

Dave

Thread: Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter
30/09/2021 10:38:17

Interesting thought Ray. I'm thinking of maybe using some "L" shaped pieces either side of the frames to attach the first layer of planking to.

Also, current plans are to install the prop' shaft, motor mount and maybe winch /rudder servo mounts too. Just measuring up for these now as, once planking has begun, it will be more fiddly to get inside the hull with 70+ year-old fingers !

Dave

24/09/2021 10:53:42

Hi Ray

I like the idea of using block balsa for bow and stern - that makes a lot of sense, and gives a nice interface for the planks to key into.

I'm currently thinking of 2-later planking. First 'skin' will be balsa - not sure about the outer skin yet - lime or mahogany maybe ?

I've now got someone to assist with the engine on the sportscar (hasn't been run for c.10 years !). Just working on the construction of the rear wing elements in between work on the cutter...

Cheers for now,

Dave

20/09/2021 19:20:01

Some experiments with mast, bowsprit and boom positioning. The bowsprit will be shorter (over the hull), the mast taller and the boom longer (just overhanging the stern). All spars likely to be hardwood dowel - not really decided on the wood type yet but, open to ideas ?

positions.jpg

Thread: Help with Project for School Children
11/09/2021 11:21:51

As the various projects will be tested outdoors (pond at the back of the school), how about including a class for "Sail Power" ?

This brings in (STEM) aerodynamics as well as hydrodynamics.....let the kids decide ! The air is rarely completely stationary outside and sails could be made and chosen to suit the prevailing conditions.

The sails themselves could be made from waterproof paper eg grease-proof /parchment kitchen paper at very low cost. Masts can be made from a simple wooden dowel.

Points /Marks could be awarded for stability, speed, reaching the opposite bank etc along with other forms of propulsion. Perhaps a 'K' factor could be used for 'Light Airs' to make it more even !

Good luck,

Dave

Thread: Returning modeller
09/09/2021 10:54:14

Sum'at's up lad !

As suggested you could either invest in a servo checker (recommended as, like a multi-meter, has all sorts of uses)..

Or, plug the suspect servo in to other channels /radios and see how it behaves. If it's the same everywhere, then I agree with Ray and you could either strip it for spares or bin it.

On the pilot cutter, I'm planning on putting sail control on the left-hand ('throttle' stick with a ratchet. So, fully back on the stick will be close-hauled (beating to windward), and fully forward will be sails right out (running before the wind). Centre, or thereabouts, will be for reaching. Later on, I'll probably go for individual sail control but that's getting more advanced ! This is just a personal preference of course...

Don't give up -there's an answer there somewhere,

Dave

06/09/2021 23:32:56

Hi Jim

A few possibilities :-

1. Search on-line for a manual /documentation for info' on your Tamco radio. See if there's anything specific to sail winches / continuous rotation servos.

2. Try the sail winch servo on your Futaba set - as shown on a previous photo (or any other radio for that matter).

The main idea is to prove if it's the servo that's the cause or, the radio. It could be that the Tx has to be set up in a specific way to achieve the desired results. I would certainly expect the feedback signal from the servo to the Rx to be different from a 'conventional' servo...

Good hunting, and perhaps one of the sailing experts has encountered this problem and can help.

Regards,

Dave

Thread: Westbourne project
28/08/2021 10:31:19

Hi Charlie and welcome to the forum.

£25 seems to be a very reasonable price for such a nice model. I wonder if there are any 'hidden' snags though ?

I think I would want to test out what works and what doesn't before tearing into it though - motor, prop, lights, batteries etc.

Also, might be worth giving it a float test in the bath as you may need to attend to internal leaks. This, assuming that you want it to be other than a static model of course....

Let us know how you get on,

Dave

Thread: Dual prop question
24/08/2021 23:36:53

Speaking as a very inexperienced own-design /semi-scale builder there is a certain (perverse ?) pleasure in 'getting it right'. I'm sure the craftsmen of old - shipwrights /aircraft workers etc. all aimed high.

I think keeping it simple is a good road to this goal. The pilot cutter will have one motor, one rudder and one prop' to get me out of trouble when the sails fall limp...

I suppose that's the real beauty of semi-scale: no-one can say "That's not right" (I bet someone will though !).

20/08/2021 13:47:02

Off the building board for now. Just a small repair to one gunwale rubbing strip as it was lifted. Work continues strengthening the transom, bow and adding further gunwale in-fill pieces. Then it'll be back on the building board for planking to begin

hull three-quarter.jpg.

20/08/2021 13:39:12

hull rear.jpg

14/08/2021 11:27:29

Following on from work on the gunwale laminations, it looks like one of the frames nearest the bow needs correcting.

There is an 'inset' of about 3mm which will lead to some concavity of the profile. I'm thinking of packing this out as the planking rises up from the gunwale (hull inverted). I suppose filler could be used but I'd rather stick with 3mm marine ply which the rest of the frames are made from.

Don't really know how this error has crept in as port and starboard frames were cut and sanded as one !? (Possibly incorrect placement either side of the keel, or, a simple measurement mistake from the hull centreline to the outboard position).

Still, better to correct it now I think. I'll take some photos when the first few planks are in place showing the packing pieces.

Thread: All New to me
10/08/2021 17:21:00

Hi

A good place to start maybe to think about what sort of boat appeals to you......eg. Tug, Warship, Racer, Sailing craft etc ?

I think there are beginners models in most of these categories.

My basic rules are :-

1. Keep it simple (at least to start with).

2. Do a float test in the bath /kiddies paddling pool.

3. Radio - go for 2.4 GHz so you don't have to worry about interference.

The experts on here (like Ray, Ashley, Malcolm & Co. ), will guide you through all the details and choices.

Happy modelling,

Dave

Forgot to mention Richard !

Edited By Dave Cooper 6 on 10/08/2021 17:26:13

Thread: John Longford 'Barbara'
08/08/2021 14:39:15

A very interesting and informative article Richard.

I note that quite a few of the texts referred to were written before Aerodynamics and Downforce became the 'main /dominant' variable.

Also, many racing boats are now using aerofoils (in one form or another) to good effect.....I suppose if they were also using widely-spaced rudders / z-drives, or whatever, then Ackerman may have a role to play ?

06/08/2021 10:41:05

Just a quick note :

By 'Ackerman effect' ( /geometry), I think Stewart is referring to the rudder on the inside of the turn moving through a greater angle than the rudder on the outside of the turn. This is usually used on road vehicles to reduce tyre scrub when cornering.

Stewart - this would be possible via a different type of adjustable linkage. I doubt there would be much benefit though. If you have a RC buggy in your stock of old models you could use this for inspiration if you wanted to experiment....

Regards,

Dave

28/07/2021 13:05:27

I'm not aware of any Ackermann effect on boats - after all, we're dealing with fluids not contact with solid surfaces like roads.... (I do, however, run some anti-Ackermann on my Le Mans-style sportscar but that's another story !).

For the rudder bushings I would use Sif bronze as it's self-lubricating, or, a good quality nylon bush (just a personal preference). The bronze should turn nicely on the lathe...

Geometry-wise, I'd go for a parallel linkage, about 30 deg's deflection either side of mid-ships. Fit control horns having a row of holes so you can fine-tune the throw. I think most people drive one rudder from the steering servo and 'slave' the other off it via an adjustable linkage rod. Use a little Vaseline (or, similar) top and bottom of the rudder posts to help with water-intrusion and lubrication.

Let the experts advise you on paint-cracking /hull preparation as I've no real experience here. (A few close-up photos would help here I expect).

Dave

27/07/2021 23:08:55

Hi Stewart - looks like you have a good selection of kit and skills there - Have Myford will travel....! (I think Ray's got one of those).

Looking at the hull, it seems to be more of a 'planer' than displacement ? That being so, brushless with a good ESC and LiPo pack is probably the way to go. The experts on here will advise on motor size /Kv rating etc. as my experience is limited to small service craft with brushed motors and, electric gliders with brushless.

As you're into 'modding' radios, have you tried Hall-effect sticks - they are much smoother than the normal fare ?

On a final note - will it fit in the bath ? A floatation test should tell if any serious internal hull work is necessary before you fit it out with new equipment. Also, you can check out the trim fore-and-aft and any listing that may be present.

Have fun,

Dave

23/07/2021 11:06:00

Hi Mike and Malcolm

Mike : Yes, the transverse x-members were used on the 50% mock-up to good effect, Surprisingly, at 100% I can't budge the frames except for a little fore and aft flex . This is probably due to the multi-laminations used on the gunwales I suspect. However, I'll review it when there are a few planks in place either side. A motor on-board is part of the plan. I'd not thought of using lime but I'll try and source some strip wood and do a few experiments...

Malcolm : Tom Cunliffe says in his book on Pilot Cutters that he had an engine on board "Hirta" when he owned her. This has since been re-named "Cornubia" (see photo at the beginning of the thread) her original name post- restoration. Mine is loosely based on "Kindly Light" from Barry, South Wales and built by Coopers near Bristol.

I'll look out for the book you mention (not sure if my local library is back in service yet !).

Regards both,

Dave

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Nylet
Coastal Shipping August 2021
SLEC
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor