By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for CDSC123

Here is a list of all the postings CDSC123 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Thorneycroft 67' RAF ASR - colour scheme?
21/10/2013 22:19:16

Hi Barry

John has asked me to help here, in truth he is at least as knowledgeable about this subject as I am but I hope this helps. Firstly visit this page and download Mudway's pdfs and diagrams (register/log in first);

**LINK**

This is my model, scratchbuilt at 1/24th;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25721684@N00/8281519230/in/set-72157632269542118/lightbox/

Some colour plates from John Pritchard and some snaps from the IWM (note varnished cabin sides);

colours hsl194.jpg

colours hsl2507.jpg

colours hsl2634.jpg

colours hsl2737.jpg

hsl raf.1.jpg

hsl raf.2.jpg

hsl raf.3.jpg

hsl raf.4.jpg

hsl raf.5.jpg

Edited By CDSC123 on 21/10/2013 22:29:25

Edited By CDSC123 on 21/10/2013 22:40:47

Thread: Fairmile D Type MTB
15/04/2013 20:27:57

Peter

The hulls are available in GRP as follows;

1/72nd scale £35.00

1/35th scale £75.00

1/24th scale £126.50

Regards, Christian

**LINK**

Edited By CDSC123 on 15/04/2013 20:31:27

Thread: Schnellboot 1/24 Scratchbuild
10/10/2007 20:44:00

Hi Stuart

Re Lurssen effect, there are several incorrect descriptions on the www so I will quote from Harald Foch's Fast Fighting Boats;

...."is based on the flow structure in the vicinity of the propellers and behind them. By swinging out the aerofoil shaped side rudders to about 30 degrees a sudden flow breaking takes place inside the wake, and an air-filled hollow space is caused so that direction and acceleration of the water as well as the stern trimming is markedly influenced.

The following three effects are caused;

1.The rpm is lowered by some revolutions, or the power rises at constant revolutions, as a cause of the retained wake. The propeller efficiency is improved and the speed up-raised by about one knot.

2. The stern wave lifted at about 27m behind the ship is flattened and the other waves lowered remarkably.

3. The stern trim of about 2 1/2 degrees at maximum speed is removed so that the boat runs nearly horizontal.

I hope this helps, I would hazard a guess that the same effect cannot be reproduced on a scale model running in full-size water, if you see what I mean, although I'd be interested to see how you get on.

Cheers,

Christian. 

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor