By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Eddie Lancaster

Here is a list of all the postings Eddie Lancaster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A couple of IOM yachts
19/02/2021 21:21:01

Hi.Tim,thanks, the wood is spruce 1/8” thick, it will make a heavy boat but that doesn’t matter for this build, as I am only doing it this way for the fun of the build, and it will share the rig with other hull.

I am having a problem with the fin at moment. it is too flexible, with a 2300 gram weight it flexes by over 3/4” I may try a 1/8” thick aluminium core planked with the spruce.

Regards.

Eddie.

19/02/2021 18:28:50

The hull has now been removed from the building board and shadows, I am quite pleased with it as there are just a few small lumps of adhesive to sand away.

img_1012.jpg

The fordeack panels have been formed to match the hull, with the same planking, they have had a layer of lightweight glassfibre and resin on the back to reinforce them while I cut the access holes.

img_1014.jpg

Regards.

Eddie.

Edited By Eddie Lancaster on 19/02/2021 18:31:04

18/02/2021 13:20:55

Hi.Tim, That hull looks fine, but is it difficult to see on the water with that dark colour?

I sail with another club member who has an IOM and we sail a set course around the bouys in our lake, when I first sailed my Boxkite I couldn't even keep up with him, on our last sail day before this lockdown I was able to catch him, overtake him and stay in front, so I am quite happy with my first IOM build, and look forward to sailing Nimbus against him, We don't race as such but we do keep an eye on each other and comment on any mistakes either of us may make.

The hull of the Nimbus is difficult to hold to work on so I hope it will be just as slippery in the water.

Going back a few weeks this is the shadows set up ready for planking to begin, I used cling film to stop the glue from fixing the planks to them.

img_0976.jpg

The first six or so planks were the most difificult to fit as they had to twist 90deg. in the fisrt 3".

img_0977.jpg

img_0992.jpg

I had to make a jig,a piece of flat steel twisted 90deg. to clamp the planks to after boiling them in the kettle for a couple of minutes and allowed to dry before fitting hem.

img_1011.jpg

It had have a right hand twist and a left hand one.

Regards.

Eddie.

18/02/2021 08:50:04

Hi. Ray, yes that will be fine, they are laser cut by Sarik, so are very accurate.

The drawings specify any of the hardwoods but not balsa. You will also need the drawings for the finbox and mast step as they are rather intricate, although I am hoping to use the drawings for Boxkite for my second build.

Regards.

Eddie.

17/02/2021 19:24:03

Hi.Tim, My first IOM build was a Boxkite, and I have had some good sailing with it, so now on to my second, another Graham Bantock boat, Nimbus 3.

The first hull I have planked with balsa and two layers of lightweight glass fibre on the outside and one inside the hull, that hull is now ready for a final coat of gloss paint, as soon as we have some warmer weather.img_1001.jpg

I have made a few changes to the design, but only cosmetic, the original deck is flat but I have given it a raised fordeck the same as Boxkite, I have also moved the rudder servo from the side of the finbox to closer to the rudder stock, again as in the Boxkite.

img_0982.jpg This is the laminated fin for the first hull, laminated from vertical pieces of 1/4" x 3/8" spruce, and I thought a hull would look good with a hull planked and varnished, so hull No. two is on its way.

It would be nice to see some pictures of your refurbishment of a Boxkite.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Chez-When - 34" Sailing Cruiser
17/02/2021 15:52:52

Hi.Ray, I have just got out my copy of the Chez-When drawings, that is a lot of boat!

I am still working on the two hulls of the IOM Nimrod3, I must post a few pictures of progress.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: MV Oldenburg 1/48th scale
10/02/2021 19:19:05

Hi.Ray, those steps and that deck look good.

Eddie.

Thread: Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter
10/02/2021 19:16:21

Hi.Dave, have a look on YouTube at Sail tails videos, Gary Webb has designed and built a semi-scale Pilot Cutter called Flyer, the hull is not true scale as it is hard chine, but it still looks good, it is designed as a model to sail and be sailed with separate control of the mainsail and three jibs.

I am waiting for the end of lockdown to be able to sail mine for the first time.

You can also look up his web site Bearospaceindustries for information on his boats.

If you would like to see some pictures let me know, I need to make an album for it.

Eddie.

Thread: Todays Boating
08/02/2021 14:55:39

Great posts here, I will be fitting out my new shed as soon as the weather improves, the lighting being one of the the things to buy and fit, very helpful, thanks all.

Eddie.

Thread: MV Oldenburg 1/48th scale
01/02/2021 18:55:09

Hi. Ashley, we can go for a walk around the pond but if we take a boat to sail that is classed as recreation and not allowedfrown.

Good luck and best wishes.

Eddie.

01/02/2021 15:46:47

Hi. Ray, just thought I would drop in and say hello. I second your comment to be able to go boating, I have a new boat that needs its first outing, a 42” Pilot Cutter. I am also waiting for some warmer weather so that I can get the topcoat of paint on a new IOM, a Graham Bantock Nimbus 3.

I like the look of the boat so much that the shadows are now setup for a second build but using spruce for the planking, to be finished with the bare wood varnished, the wood arrived about five minutes ago from SLEC, I will let you know how it goes. BTW I have had my first jab.

Keep safe.

Eddie.

20/12/2020 17:33:08

Another great build Ray.

I may have to post my latest build, Nimbus 3, another IOM.

Eddie.

Thread: Yachting Monthly Eventide
17/12/2020 20:38:00

Frank only lists 3.5 oz Dacron so I assume that is the weight he uses for his sails.

Eddie.

Thread: Pilot Boat Trials
07/12/2020 08:44:39

Hi. Colin, I enjoyed the video, I am just finishing a semi scale Bristol Channel ppl Pilot Cutter circa 1910, and I wondered if they had to face such waves, as they had to go out in all weathers.

Eddie.

Thread: Best Servos
17/08/2020 09:12:53

Hi. Paul, I am using a Hitec HS-785 HB winch arm servo in my TSB and IOM boats, they will handle 1000 sq. in. of sail, I have also fitted the same servo but with a winch drum in my current build, a 58” long two masted schooner, it’s not finished yet but it is the winch recommended by the designer, it will give up to 20” of sheet travel, and controls all three sails, both will need end travel control from the tx. to make set up easier.

Good luck with whatever you go with and enjoy the sailing without an engine.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Thames Sailing Barge Stuff
11/08/2020 07:59:04

Hi. Ray, she looks good on the water with her barge, the picture with the TSB shows the size of the original TSB.

We are still struggling with a bad weed infestation at the moment, so off to do some more clearing today.

Regards.

Eddie

23/07/2020 15:41:21

Hi Ray, she’s. coming on fine, as soon as I have finished my current build I must get Cambria back on to the table.

As soon as our lake is clear of weed I must get Susie May out for a sail, and I have heard this morning that Hearne Bay is now clear of blanket weed.

I hope to see you all soon.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Fisher 34 motorsailer
21/07/2020 15:07:53

That’s a great finish you have got there George.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Self or non-centering rudder?
16/07/2020 20:27:45

Hi.George, if you go with a non self centering rudder you won’t know if it’s the rudder or the sails controlling the direction, and you could be sailing with the brake on, just a thought.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Fisher 34 motorsailer
13/07/2020 06:39:44

That sounds like a planlaugh.

Eddie.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor