By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Eddie Lancaster

Here is a list of all the postings Eddie Lancaster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A couple of IOM yachts
15/03/2021 08:50:31

Hi Chris, and Tim as you raised the point I have checked the weight, there is a total of 12.6 kilograms on there.

Eddie.

14/03/2021 20:22:59

Hi.Ray and Tim, the rear deck developed from my original thoughts of a flat bottom and two sloping sides, with square corners but I thought rounded corners would look better and be stronger.

Regards.

Eddie.

14/03/2021 16:45:36

Earlier this week I had a trial fixing and placement of the decks after the internals were finalised.

img_1048.jpg

img_1049.jpg

Today the rear deck has been glued in place using eight hour epoxy.

img_1050.jpg

img_1051.jpg

Tomorrow the fore deck will go on and then the finishing of the hull, plenty of rubbing down and Halfords spray can lacquer.

Regards.

Eddie.

12/03/2021 13:27:17

Hi. Tim, thanks for your very help-full comments, they have been on the stove for over a month now, I know what you mean about them needing to be absolutely dry, my last attempt at a closed mold was spoilt by a trace of moisture in the core for the fin slot, I also take your point about only a single entry exit point.

Regards.

Eddie.

12/03/2021 10:37:41

Hi.Ray, a new boat to build and a new bandsaw who’s a lucky boy then 😆.

The plaster casts for the bulb are on the wood burner drying out ready for casting when we get a suitable day.

img_1045.jpg
I hope to be able to meet get two casts from it.

Regards.

Eddie.

12/03/2021 09:20:31

The U section was formed from two pieces of 1/32” ply, first steamed and then clamped to a block of wood shaped to the form I needed, when it was dry it was then reclamped to the block with a good layer of aliphatic resin, after another twenty four hours it came off and held its shape.

The block was made using my Ryobi band saw that looks very much like yours Ray, just a different colour.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Water is very dense
11/03/2021 13:43:57

My report said there was a danger of drowning in the 2ft. deep water.

Eddie.

10/03/2021 19:17:46

I have now fitted the finbox and mast step, taking a lot of care to get it vertical, central in the hull and square to the water line.

img_1029.jpg

The hull was set on a frame that was level with the table ,that was also set level in both directions, the waterline was set parellel to the table top and the hull level across the deck line,I was then able to set the fin vertical in both planes using a small spirit level.

img_1031.jpg

The edges of the slot for the finbox were bevelled inside and a thickened epoxy used to fill the joint, a second layer of epoxy was applied to create a good fillet between the hull and fin box, the whole lot was then left for twenty four hours to fully harden.img_1033.jpg

The box then had a couple of layers of 2 1/2 oz. glassfibre wrapped around it and more was added up the sides of the box and extended up the sides of the hull, and extra layers at the back and front of the box across the bottom of the hull, hopefully these will take all the stress loads around this area of the hull.

img_1041.jpg

All the internals have also been added. The deck on the drawings is a single flat single piece of 1/8" ply, but I liked the raised foredeck on the Boxkite, I have also lowered the rear deck to expose the rudder stock.

Regards.

Eddie

Thread: Chez-When - 34" Sailing Cruiser
09/03/2021 14:30:30

I’m pleased to hear that I am still regarded as a friend laugh.

I for one will be looking out for your build progress, the Mahogany should look good.

ChezWhen is looking good and coming on a-pace.

Regards.

Eddie.

05/03/2021 19:09:50

Hi. Tim, he hasn’t got them yet as he will need the drawings to go.with them, and I am still using them, but I will soon be finished with them, I had a delivery of the mast and rigging fittings today, the sails from Frank at Nylet arrived last Wednesday so I have plenty to keep me busy for a while.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Dave Milbourn RIP
05/03/2021 19:01:02

I would just like to add my condolences and echo all the feelings expressed in the previous posts.
I did meet Dave and Colin briefly at the last Mayhem meeting at Wicksteed Park, where he was trying out the latest Fairey.
My Huntsman that I built last year will mean even more to me now, and I will remember the help that he gave me even though he must have been quite poorly.

R.I.P. Dave.

Eddie.

02/03/2021 18:22:00

Hi.Tim, the bare hull with no other bits added is 512 grams.

The finbox and mast step are now ready for fixing in place, it looks like everything is lining up nicely.

img_1026.jpg

The fin box is 1/16" ply lined with glass and two coats of resin,the bulhead with the maststep attached is 1/8" liteply, both boxes will have at least two layers of glass and resin around them and extended up the sides of the hull to help spread the loads you mention.

Regards.

Eddie

Thread: Yachting Monthly Eventide
02/03/2021 16:35:09

Hi. Ray, she does look good,I like the colour scheme.We should be able to meet in pairs from next Monday as we can spread ourselves around the lake and not everyone will want to turn out just yet.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: IOM Boxkite
27/02/2021 17:53:06

Hi. Tim, looks like it’s turning into a major rebuild, don’t know if you have the drawings but it looks like it was built according to the drawings, the main sheet mast is shown as 50mm above the deck, they drawings first came out twenty years ago, and I built mine following the drawings.

The Nimbus follows the same principle by not having any frames attached to the hull, only at the deck and inwales only the finbox attaches to the hull and of course the rudder tube.

Regards.

Eddie.

24/02/2021 20:42:16

The hull has had a layer of 1oz. glassfibre and two coats of epoxy resin, it now has to be rubbed down with wet and dry paper unttil all the high spots are removed and it has a matt finish all over ready for a lacquered finish.

img_1020.jpg

img_1021.jpg

Eddie.

Thread: Huntress 23 Long Cabin Version
24/02/2021 20:13:06

Hi. Chris, you can't beat the look of a nice planked deck instead of a varnished ply deck, and yours is looking really good.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Chez-When - 34" Sailing Cruiser
22/02/2021 10:28:59

Hi.Ray, I know there is a lot of deck on that boat but, 1 litre of paint?

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: IOM Boxkite
20/02/2021 18:26:57

Hi.Tim, thanks for the info.

Eddie.

20/02/2021 12:53:12

Hi. Tim, I am using the Hitec HS-785HB with the arm in my Boxkite and that seems to be coping well so far.

I will be using the same servo but with the winch drum in the two Nimbus hulls as these boats are 3” narrower than the Boxkite.

I was going to follow the same placement of the servos as they are in the Boxkite, but after reading your points on weight distribution I will put the sail control servo as it is shown on the plans, alongside the fin box. It is already in this position in the balsa planked hull.

Regards.

Eddie.

20/02/2021 12:36:08

Hi Tim, it is one layer of 1oz. With two coats of epoxy resin, I do have 2.3oz /75gram, do you think a layer of that would help?

Eddie.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Nylet
Coastal Shipping August 2021
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
SLEC
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor