By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Eddie Lancaster

Here is a list of all the postings Eddie Lancaster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: IOM Boxkite
08/04/2021 08:50:36

Hi. Tim. That is looking really good, with a good finish even before the final polish. I like that colour blue, very smart.

That small opening you have filled in is not on the original drawings, and the radio pot is not shown either, but it where I have fitted mine.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: TYNE Class Lifeboat build
06/04/2021 15:30:08

Hi. Neil, lifeboats are not my thing, but the next time I get to a show I will give them more than a cursory look, following your build shows how much thought, skill and dedication goes into producing a museum quality product, I can only admire your building skills and dedication, obviously gained over many years, and I mean that that in the nicest possible way.

Eddie.

Edited By Eddie Lancaster on 06/04/2021 15:31:13

Thread: 2021 Builds during lockdowns
06/04/2021 13:02:10

What. Lovely looking boat Ray, she will look good out on the water.

Eddie.

Thread: Fisher 34 motorsailer
05/04/2021 17:22:29

She looks good George, and lovely setting to sail in.

Eddie.

Thread: A couple of IOM yachts
05/04/2021 14:12:31

The first Nimbus hull is almost finished, the spruce planked one, only the rigging attachments to be fitted, and I may paint the transom and lower rear deck white.

img_1087.jpg

img_1088.jpg

It is hanging from the light fitting until the lacquer has fully cured and it can then be put back on its stand.

Eddie.

Thread: 2021 Builds during lockdowns
03/04/2021 20:19:02

Thanks for the info Colin, it’s alway nice to have the background to a build.

Eddie.

Edited By Colin Bishop on 04/04/2021 10:08:59

03/04/2021 15:26:24

Hi. Colin, I do like the beauty in the simplicity of this boat, but you do have both the inside and outside to get right.

A lovely build.

Eddie.

Edited By Colin Bishop on 04/04/2021 10:07:51

Thread: Rigging
03/04/2021 09:46:18

And many more sailings if my experience is anything to go by, according to my Tx my IOM has been on the water for around twenty hours and I am only just beginning to get an idea of what needs to be changed to improve handling, speed or pointing etc.
Eddie.

Thread: Todays Boating
02/04/2021 22:04:38

Hi. Colin/ Ray, thanks for your kind remarks, I was pleased with the way she sailed for the first time on the water, I don’t think I need to change anything. It’s good what you can achieve with some cheap bed sheets from Dunhelm.

George, I haven’t recharged the batteries in the Cutter yet so not sure how much power she used, but the IOM uses around 650 ma in a two hour sailing session driving a Hitec HS 785 HB sail arm servo and a standard servo on the rudder, all of my sail boats only have sail power so no esc’s are fitted just a 6 volt battery through the receiver, and sailing an IOM you are always twiddling the sticks.

Regards to all.

Eddie.

Thread: Another stupid question, for those who know
02/04/2021 14:06:14

For what it’s worth, I seal all of my hulls with two coats of thinned epoxy , if it’s a balsa hull it will also have a layer of lightweight glass, the underside of the deck also gets two coats of resin, but then I use slow cure epoxy to fix the deck down, aliphatic glue or other wood glues will not stick to the resin, most of my builds at the moment are IOM yachts and the electronics and rudder are accessed through the various holes cut in the deck and then covered with sticky backed polyester patches.

Eddie.

01/04/2021 18:29:07

Thanks Ashley, I agree some peoples on board would look better, but with three jib sheets running the length of the deck on each side, I need to be careful where I put them.

Yes the weather was much better Tuesday only 8 deg. today. Sounds like you had a good day.

Yes mainsail is controlled by one winch and the three foresails are pulled from one side to the other, using a rotary knob to control the winch at each tack.

Regards to all.
Eddie.

Edited By Eddie Lancaster on 01/04/2021 18:30:44

Thread: mystery boat - need to identify!
01/04/2021 17:22:53

Hi. Tim and Rob,I was going to suggest the Nimbus 3.the drawings show a flat deck throughout, and the through deck block and the jib rack are all as drawn.I have altered the foredeck on both of mine and the rear deck on one of them.

I have just got the plans for Frank Russell’s Elipsis, a similar hull shape but much narrower beam.

Regards.

Eddie.

01/04/2021 15:17:12

Thanks Chris, I was really pleased with how she performed for the first time out, and with two sail winches to contend with.

Eddie.

01/04/2021 14:37:24

I hope you don't mind me using this thread to report on my days boating Ashley.

I finally got my Pilot Cutter PEE-WEE on the water for her maiden voyage, despite the gusty and varible direction of the wind the cutter handled it well, maybe due to a displacement of twenty two pounds, ten of them on the removable keel.img_1072.jpg

img_1077.jpg

img_1082.jpg

img_1082.jpg

Regards.

Eddie.

29/03/2021 10:13:27

I’m glad you raised the Tup issue Paul, I was concerned that Ashley was going to bring model boating into disrepute.

Eddie, ex Yorkshireman.

Thread: TYNE Class Lifeboat build
21/03/2021 08:33:40

Nothing short of ingenious, I have great difficulty in this lateral thinking lark.

A beautiful build and attention to detail all through the build.

Regards.

Eddie.

19/03/2021 18:23:40

The two hulls are now ready for finishing, I just need some warm weather so that they can be sprayed.

img_1056.jpg

img_1058.jpg

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Thames Sailing Barge Stuff
18/03/2021 19:25:40

Hi.John,as my name has been mentioned I thought I should stick my head above the parapet, a few years ago I was in exactly the same position as you are, one good place to start is Mastmans website, he produces a lot of fittings for TSB,s and as you get to the various problems as Ray says just ask.

Regards. Eddie.

Edited By Eddie Lancaster on 18/03/2021 19:26:42

Edited By Eddie Lancaster on 18/03/2021 19:27:49

16/03/2021 19:56:02

The rear deck is now fixed in place.

img_1053.jpg

I have put the Rx high up on the foredeck frame,this will keep it out of any water that may get into the hull, and allows the arial to be placed as high in the boat as possible.

img_1052.jpg

The foredeck can now be fitted, with plenty of tape etc. to hold it in place while the epoxy hardens.

img_1054.jpg

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Chez-When - 34" Sailing Cruiser
15/03/2021 11:18:11

Hi. Ray, that’s a nice curve on the deck line, she will be a big girl with that broad beam laugh.

You will be busy this Easter with four new boats to launch and trial, as long as Admiralty will allow.

Besr wishes.

Eddie.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Coastal Shipping August 2021
SLEC
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor