By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Eddie Lancaster

Here is a list of all the postings Eddie Lancaster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Thames Sailing Barge Stuff
16/06/2021 13:02:57

Hi. Ray, does that mean more than you are doing at the momentcheeky.

Here is the picture I took of the drawings, I finally found which cloud they were on!

img_1157.jpg

Eddie.

16/06/2021 12:31:01

Re. 30" Thames Barge, Tom's post reminded me that I had a copy of Richard Chesney's booklet on building a Thames Barge, courtesy of Ray, it has the fullsize drawings of the frames for Westmoreland at 1/24th. scale, and there is also a drawing of the hull and lines with the hull at 10" long, after a visit to a graphics company I now have a set of drawings for Westmoreland with a hull length of 29", I hope this will fit the 30" racing barge rules, if not it will be easy to add an extra inch to the middle of the hull.

That is now my next winters project sorted, or rainy days.

Eddie.

Thread: Which prop shaft?
14/06/2021 12:05:20

Is there anything you haven’t tried Ray?

Eddie.

12/06/2021 08:19:35

Hi. Ray. that would be great if you do have some drawings, but there is no hurry, I have an IOM to finish yet and a bit of work to do for another club member.

Regards.

Eddie.

11/06/2021 16:37:31

Yes it was good to meet up again, my friends have now moved up this way and I hope we will be able to get down to Bluewater at least a couple of times, I can have a sail with you and they can meet their other son and family

Is the 30” Giralde only available as grp hull? as I can’t find any drawings for a barge at that size.

Regards.

Eddie.

11/06/2021 10:07:06

Hi.Ray, she’s a lovely looking boat, but then I would expect nothing less.coming from Peters racing stable! I am thinking that I may have to build a 30” barge, much easier to handle and transport, I will keep you posted.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: TEV Wahine 1/35 Build
29/05/2021 17:35:26

Hi. Richard, thank you for the info. Re the dinghy drawings,I have been looking for something like that for sometime now. Although I fear mine will not match your excellent build, also thanks for the rigging article in the current issue of MB. even more inspiration, the magazine is looking more like an extension of this forum with all the articles that are coming from the people we know on here, long may it continue, I feel that the mag is now back on course.

Regards.

Eddie.

Edited By Eddie Lancaster on 29/05/2021 17:36:55

Thread: Colin Archer 1:15 scale
18/05/2021 10:17:34

Totally agree Chris.

Eddie.

Thread: Chez-When - 34" Sailing Cruiser
17/05/2021 15:37:53

Hi. Ray, she is looking good, have you decided on a colour scheme yet? and I hope you have permission to use the dining table for the photo shoot.

BTW I will be at Bluewater on Sunday to meet my Broadstairs friends, but I will not be able to bring a boat as I am collecting some of Rogers boats to store for him as they are moving up this way soon. I hope we can meet up.

Regards.

Eddie.

15/05/2021 11:43:54

Hi.Chris,Tim, I agree Tim always brings engineering skills and techniques into his builds, and I always follow his builds with interest.

I now have three drill presses, four if you count the Proxon mini mill, the 3 morse taper floor standing is from my steam engine building time, but I’d still gets used, I recently acquired a bench mounted drill for my new shed along with an Axminster mini drill and the Proxon that I find invaluable for drilling holes in the IOM masts and booms when you need straight lines of holes spaced at regular intervals.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Dragonforce 65 Ordered
13/05/2021 13:31:29

Hi. Chris, I had to use the same settings with the Futaba tx.

Ray, don’t worry if you do get it, it’s not as serious as COVID.

Eddie.

12/05/2021 21:05:08

Hi, Ray, I will need all the luck I can get, but the racing is friendly, they only sail 65s and sometimes Wee Nips at Emberton .

Regards.

Eddie.

12/05/2021 18:56:44

Took the DF 65 to Wicksteed this morning to try the A+ sails, the wind was quite light at around 5mph. The boat handled very well, it would set its own course upwind and needed little input from me, looking forward now to tomorrow when I can try it against the other boats and skippers.

img_1131.jpeg

img_1130.jpeg

Eddie.

Thread: Sound Units
11/05/2021 12:05:25

Hi.George,I have just spoken to Componantshop and they tell me that they are re-designing the P110 sound board, they don’t know when it will be available, but I think it is well worth waiting for.

Eddie.

10/05/2021 17:22:34

Yes,I do have one of those, but it is not as good as the P110, but is better than some of the others.

Eddie.

10/05/2021 14:48:49

Thanks everyone, I will try again.

Eddie.

10/05/2021 12:14:16

Does anyone know what has happened to Componantshop? There website isn’t available and the phone does not connect.

Eddie.

09/05/2021 13:34:55

Hi Richard, you are right about the steam engines, having been making them for the past forty years you could hear a bark from the exhaust when pulling my hard, but with a triple expansion engine there would only be a slight mechanical noise from the moving parts and a bit of steam hiss, but fitting a sound unit gives a bit of atmosphere.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Dragonforce 65 Ordered
08/05/2021 18:37:20

Hi. Chris, the main difference between the rigs is the jib, the mast is also 10mm. higher.

Yes ready for action and with a sail number they will all know who is causing havoc blush.

I think that less is more, I just want to see which is fore and aft, and which direction it is going.

Eddie

08/05/2021 17:55:41

Hi. Carl, although I haven't done it on this boat glue a couple of pieces of drinking straw where you want the aerials to go and then just tuck them in.

The A+ sails are now fitted to my boat alone with it's new reg.number.

dscf3803.jpg

As suggested by others I have replaced the wire forestay with a Dyneema cord, also the wire mast rings and the tack hooks,to allow the sails to move freely,especially in light winds.

When I tried to set the mast rake according to the instructions I was using, 985mm. from the hole at the back of the crane down to the transom, I had to put on a lot of backstay pressure, looking at a YouTube video the figure of 951mm. was given,this was achieved with the backstay loose and just a little forestay pressure, more inline with the A rig settings.

Eddie

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Coastal Shipping August 2021
SLEC
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor