By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Eddie Lancaster

Here is a list of all the postings Eddie Lancaster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Varmint keel weight
01/09/2017 13:55:36

Hi. again, my last problem seems to have drawn a blank! but after trawling through the internet (sorry about that) I finally found the weight for the alloy bulb for the DF65 is about 550 grams. I have solved my problem by using one of my lead weights bonded to one of the wooden patterns, the wood being on top of the lead weight and the wooden half is bonded to the keel, this combination gives me the correct weight of 495 grams I hope this might be of help to others if you get the same problem.

Eddie.

31/08/2017 16:08:41

Hi. All,

I have just cast the keel weights for varmint,I turned the former on the lathe to be as close as possible to the drawing, one weight after cleaning up weighs 500 grams, as much as the two should weigh, so, is 500 grams the correct weight for this size of boat or mine at 1 kg?

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Eddie.

Thread: Varmint plans
31/08/2017 15:52:17

Hi. All

I have just cast the 2 lead weights for the keel bulb for Varmint, I turned the plug on the lathe to a close copy as drawn on the plan, but my problem is, that one side, after cleaning up, weighs in at 500 grams- the weight that both pieces should be, so, is 500 grams the correct weight for this size of boat or mine at double the weight?

Once again many thanks for any help you can give me.

Eddie.

23/08/2017 07:16:09

Hi Ray, first my apologies for calling you John, another senior moment, they seem to be getting more frequent these days!

Yes I had wondered what the elastic cord was for in the spares list for the DF65, I will be fitting one.

Thanks for your help, I now know where I am going with this build and everything is on order to complete my boat.

Regards Eddie

22/08/2017 15:04:20

Thanks John, I agree the article is good and the photos show a lot, I have just looked at the drawings again, your right the positions of the eyes etc. are there, just a lot fewer than the Dragon Force boats!

Many thanks

Eddie

22/08/2017 13:27:05

Hi all, I have just returned to model boats after around 35 years (I got hooked on the engineering side after building a steam plant to power a model of Cervia.)

Having just had a hip replacement and waiting for another I decided I needed something a bit lighter to handle than lumps of cast iron for a half size traction engine! so having spotted the picture of Varmint on the cover of M.B. I went for it, Paul from MB kindly sent me the pdf of the plan that I had printed off but it is only one sheet of the hull plan, side elevation and the frames but no dimensions. This has not been a problem so far, the hull is now nearly finished but I will need measurements for all the sail fixings etc. on the deck, can anyone help?

Thanks Eddie.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
PremierJuly 2019
Cadma new
Premier Thursday
Premier March
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
JSB MODELS
Sarik
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor