By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Eddie Lancaster

Here is a list of all the postings Eddie Lancaster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chez-When - 34" Sailing Cruiser
05/03/2021 19:09:50

Hi. Tim, he hasn’t got them yet as he will need the drawings to go.with them, and I am still using them, but I will soon be finished with them, I had a delivery of the mast and rigging fittings today, the sails from Frank at Nylet arrived last Wednesday so I have plenty to keep me busy for a while.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Dave Milbourn RIP
05/03/2021 19:01:02

I would just like to add my condolences and echo all the feelings expressed in the previous posts.
I did meet Dave and Colin briefly at the last Mayhem meeting at Wicksteed Park, where he was trying out the latest Fairey.
My Huntsman that I built last year will mean even more to me now, and I will remember the help that he gave me even though he must have been quite poorly.

R.I.P. Dave.

Eddie.

Thread: A couple of IOM yachts
02/03/2021 18:22:00

Hi.Tim, the bare hull with no other bits added is 512 grams.

The finbox and mast step are now ready for fixing in place, it looks like everything is lining up nicely.

img_1026.jpg

The fin box is 1/16" ply lined with glass and two coats of resin,the bulhead with the maststep attached is 1/8" liteply, both boxes will have at least two layers of glass and resin around them and extended up the sides of the hull to help spread the loads you mention.

Regards.

Eddie

Thread: Yachting Monthly Eventide
02/03/2021 16:35:09

Hi. Ray, she does look good,I like the colour scheme.We should be able to meet in pairs from next Monday as we can spread ourselves around the lake and not everyone will want to turn out just yet.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: IOM Boxkite
27/02/2021 17:53:06

Hi. Tim, looks like it’s turning into a major rebuild, don’t know if you have the drawings but it looks like it was built according to the drawings, the main sheet mast is shown as 50mm above the deck, they drawings first came out twenty years ago, and I built mine following the drawings.

The Nimbus follows the same principle by not having any frames attached to the hull, only at the deck and inwales only the finbox attaches to the hull and of course the rudder tube.

Regards.

Eddie.

24/02/2021 20:42:16

The hull has had a layer of 1oz. glassfibre and two coats of epoxy resin, it now has to be rubbed down with wet and dry paper unttil all the high spots are removed and it has a matt finish all over ready for a lacquered finish.

img_1020.jpg

img_1021.jpg

Eddie.

Thread: Huntress 23 Long Cabin Version
24/02/2021 20:13:06

Hi. Chris, you can't beat the look of a nice planked deck instead of a varnished ply deck, and yours is looking really good.

Regards.

Eddie.

22/02/2021 10:28:59

Hi.Ray, I know there is a lot of deck on that boat but, 1 litre of paint?

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: IOM Boxkite
20/02/2021 18:26:57

Hi.Tim, thanks for the info.

Eddie.

20/02/2021 12:53:12

Hi. Tim, I am using the Hitec HS-785HB with the arm in my Boxkite and that seems to be coping well so far.

I will be using the same servo but with the winch drum in the two Nimbus hulls as these boats are 3” narrower than the Boxkite.

I was going to follow the same placement of the servos as they are in the Boxkite, but after reading your points on weight distribution I will put the sail control servo as it is shown on the plans, alongside the fin box. It is already in this position in the balsa planked hull.

Regards.

Eddie.

20/02/2021 12:36:08

Hi Tim, it is one layer of 1oz. With two coats of epoxy resin, I do have 2.3oz /75gram, do you think a layer of that would help?

Eddie.

19/02/2021 21:21:01

Hi.Tim,thanks, the wood is spruce 1/8” thick, it will make a heavy boat but that doesn’t matter for this build, as I am only doing it this way for the fun of the build, and it will share the rig with other hull.

I am having a problem with the fin at moment. it is too flexible, with a 2300 gram weight it flexes by over 3/4” I may try a 1/8” thick aluminium core planked with the spruce.

Regards.

Eddie.

19/02/2021 18:28:50

The hull has now been removed from the building board and shadows, I am quite pleased with it as there are just a few small lumps of adhesive to sand away.

img_1012.jpg

The fordeack panels have been formed to match the hull, with the same planking, they have had a layer of lightweight glassfibre and resin on the back to reinforce them while I cut the access holes.

img_1014.jpg

Regards.

Eddie.

Edited By Eddie Lancaster on 19/02/2021 18:31:04

18/02/2021 13:20:55

Hi.Tim, That hull looks fine, but is it difficult to see on the water with that dark colour?

I sail with another club member who has an IOM and we sail a set course around the bouys in our lake, when I first sailed my Boxkite I couldn't even keep up with him, on our last sail day before this lockdown I was able to catch him, overtake him and stay in front, so I am quite happy with my first IOM build, and look forward to sailing Nimbus against him, We don't race as such but we do keep an eye on each other and comment on any mistakes either of us may make.

The hull of the Nimbus is difficult to hold to work on so I hope it will be just as slippery in the water.

Going back a few weeks this is the shadows set up ready for planking to begin, I used cling film to stop the glue from fixing the planks to them.

img_0976.jpg

The first six or so planks were the most difificult to fit as they had to twist 90deg. in the fisrt 3".

img_0977.jpg

img_0992.jpg

I had to make a jig,a piece of flat steel twisted 90deg. to clamp the planks to after boiling them in the kettle for a couple of minutes and allowed to dry before fitting hem.

img_1011.jpg

It had have a right hand twist and a left hand one.

Regards.

Eddie.

18/02/2021 08:50:04

Hi. Ray, yes that will be fine, they are laser cut by Sarik, so are very accurate.

The drawings specify any of the hardwoods but not balsa. You will also need the drawings for the finbox and mast step as they are rather intricate, although I am hoping to use the drawings for Boxkite for my second build.

Regards.

Eddie.

17/02/2021 19:24:03

Hi.Tim, My first IOM build was a Boxkite, and I have had some good sailing with it, so now on to my second, another Graham Bantock boat, Nimbus 3.

The first hull I have planked with balsa and two layers of lightweight glass fibre on the outside and one inside the hull, that hull is now ready for a final coat of gloss paint, as soon as we have some warmer weather.img_1001.jpg

I have made a few changes to the design, but only cosmetic, the original deck is flat but I have given it a raised fordeck the same as Boxkite, I have also moved the rudder servo from the side of the finbox to closer to the rudder stock, again as in the Boxkite.

img_0982.jpg This is the laminated fin for the first hull, laminated from vertical pieces of 1/4" x 3/8" spruce, and I thought a hull would look good with a hull planked and varnished, so hull No. two is on its way.

It would be nice to see some pictures of your refurbishment of a Boxkite.

Regards.

Eddie.

17/02/2021 15:52:52

Hi.Ray, I have just got out my copy of the Chez-When drawings, that is a lot of boat!

I am still working on the two hulls of the IOM Nimrod3, I must post a few pictures of progress.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: MV Oldenburg 1/48th scale
10/02/2021 19:19:05

Hi.Ray, those steps and that deck look good.

Eddie.

Thread: Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter
10/02/2021 19:16:21

Hi.Dave, have a look on YouTube at Sail tails videos, Gary Webb has designed and built a semi-scale Pilot Cutter called Flyer, the hull is not true scale as it is hard chine, but it still looks good, it is designed as a model to sail and be sailed with separate control of the mainsail and three jibs.

I am waiting for the end of lockdown to be able to sail mine for the first time.

You can also look up his web site Bearospaceindustries for information on his boats.

If you would like to see some pictures let me know, I need to make an album for it.

Eddie.

Thread: Todays Boating
08/02/2021 14:55:39

Great posts here, I will be fitting out my new shed as soon as the weather improves, the lighting being one of the the things to buy and fit, very helpful, thanks all.

Eddie.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Sarik
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor