By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Eddie Lancaster

Here is a list of all the postings Eddie Lancaster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Best Servos
17/08/2020 09:12:53

Hi. Paul, I am using a Hitec HS-785 HB winch arm servo in my TSB and IOM boats, they will handle 1000 sq. in. of sail, I have also fitted the same servo but with a winch drum in my current build, a 58” long two masted schooner, it’s not finished yet but it is the winch recommended by the designer, it will give up to 20” of sheet travel, and controls all three sails, both will need end travel control from the tx. to make set up easier.

Good luck with whatever you go with and enjoy the sailing without an engine.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Thames Sailing Barge Stuff
11/08/2020 07:59:04

Hi. Ray, she looks good on the water with her barge, the picture with the TSB shows the size of the original TSB.

We are still struggling with a bad weed infestation at the moment, so off to do some more clearing today.

Regards.

Eddie

23/07/2020 15:41:21

Hi Ray, she’s. coming on fine, as soon as I have finished my current build I must get Cambria back on to the table.

As soon as our lake is clear of weed I must get Susie May out for a sail, and I have heard this morning that Hearne Bay is now clear of blanket weed.

I hope to see you all soon.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Fisher 34 motorsailer
21/07/2020 15:07:53

That’s a great finish you have got there George.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Self or non-centering rudder?
16/07/2020 20:27:45

Hi.George, if you go with a non self centering rudder you won’t know if it’s the rudder or the sails controlling the direction, and you could be sailing with the brake on, just a thought.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Fisher 34 motorsailer
13/07/2020 06:39:44

That sounds like a planlaugh.

Eddie.

12/07/2020 19:53:12

Hi.George, I can only tell you how I do it, after the hull is glassed and finished with finishing epoxy resin I take the humps off with 120 grit used wet, that is then followed with 240 grit, again used wet to get as close as I can to a complete matt finish, I then use high build primer filler from a rattle can misting it on with three coats to build up to a full coat, 90% of this is then sanded away with 240 grit, again used wet, any low spots showing at each stage is filled with Humbrol filler, a very fine quick drying filler applied with a craft knife this is again sanded down with 240 grit always used wet, I do this about three times, the final coat of primer filler is then rubbed down with 400 grit paper and a final coat of primer either red grey or white, depending on the final colour, is applied and rubbed down with 800 grit before the final gloss topcoat.
As you can see as soon as the wood is sealed all the sanding is done wet and I would use the same scheme if I was brush painting with enamel paints.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Eddie.

12/07/2020 09:25:33

Hi.George, have you tried using wet and dry paper used wet? You just have a sludge that can be wiped off using a paper towel and a sponge.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Vic Smeed's HMS Cossack MM500
12/07/2020 09:18:27

Hi.Ray, they do look good, more realistic than the sticky backed plastic. As to where photo’s and other things go I think we must all have one of those black holes that the astronomers go on about.

Are you ready for your big day tomorrow?

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Boxkite IOM yacht
10/07/2020 08:17:47

Hi. Brian, my second boat was a Sparrow, a nice handy size and good performer, are you golng to fit professionally made sails, Frank Parsons at Nylet has the patterns, good luck with your sailing this weekend.
I am very happy with her, I may now look at another IOM, Nimbus 3

Regards.

Eddie.

09/07/2020 19:36:29

Hi.Tim and George, Thank you for your kind remarks, it is very satisfying when everything works as you hoped.

Regards.

Eddie.

09/07/2020 15:36:11

Had a good first time sailing with Boxkite, a bit damp at times with light winds, 0 >.5mph. very promising but the skipper needs to improvefrown

I took the patch off the transome to check for water, the inside was bone dry, so another bonuslaugh.

img_0686.jpg

img_0687.jpg

img_0689.jpg

Regards.

Eddie.

09/07/2020 08:07:32

Hi.Tim, some pictures of the internals as requested.

dscf3766.jpg

The hull before any top work done, it was resin coated and a layer of 25 gram glass added, inside and outside.

img_0394.jpg

I used a lever arm servo rather than the winch drum type shown on the drawings.

img_0395.jpg

The steering sevo is suspended from two beams across the top of the hull at the gunwales, the fin box and mast box are the only conection between the deck and keel.

Regards.

Eddie.

08/07/2020 18:58:49

Hi.Ray, your ‘holiday’ had to come to an end sometime, I hope you are not too disappointed at having to leave the workshop, if it’s not raining and there is some wind I will let you know how she goes.

Regards.

Eddie.

08/07/2020 17:14:39

Hi. All, just a couple of pictures of Boxkite, ready to get her bottom wet for the first time tomorrow if it's fine.

img_0677.jpg

img_0682.jpg

Her multi chine hull.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Thames Sailing Barge Stuff
07/07/2020 10:17:43

Hi. Ray, very nice neat work, she is comeing along well now, when I had my fisrt lathe, over forty years ago, I couldn't afford two chucks so I bought only a four jaw independant chuck, using that for several years taught me to centre work very quickly by eye, and then to use a DTI if i wanted real accuracy, my current Harrison makes life a real doddle with taper turning, screw cutting gear box etc.

I have just been to specsavers Bob and I hadn't noticed the holes!

Regards to both.

Eddie

Thread: Zulu
29/06/2020 20:51:12

Hi.Ray, you’re right she should have a missed at least, that will come later.

Pleased to hear that you can get back to what this hobby is about, getting a few bottoms wet, boats of course.

Regards.

Eddie.

29/06/2020 18:46:11

I have at last had a mornings sailing, I took Zulu to Wicksteed Park boating lake yesterday,the wind was blowing a hooley. I was not sure how well she was going to steer as the rudder is steeply inclined and the prop runs in a cut out in the rudder so reducing the prop wash over it,but I had increased the width by nearly a third from the drawing and despite the strong wind she handled very well when under way.

img_0669 (edited) (2).jpg

Because of the strong wind I was only able to take my hands off the controls to take one photo,

Now that I am back home I am finishing the keel for the IOM and hope to get that on the water next Sunday.

Regards.

Eddie.

Thread: Yacht Ardent
24/06/2020 21:11:42

Thanks Ray.

Eddie.

Thread: Look what's just docked!
24/06/2020 19:10:10

Hi. Roger, change the name for starters, I’m sure you can think of a suitable one, other than that suggestion I am keeping out of any domestics.

Regards and good luck with that one

E——

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Sarik
Nylet
Shrek
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor