By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Eddie Lancaster

Here is a list of all the postings Eddie Lancaster has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MV Stability (1949) - F T Everard & Sons
01/09/2021 10:18:44

Hi. Ray, the loco looks good, building steam engines takes much more time to build than boats or planes.
I’m getting on well with the Cub, but then it does have gyro stabilisation, my first glider, a two meter electric powered Red Eagle is ready for it’s first test flight, maybe today if the wind isn’t too strong.

Sailing has helped with orientation, it’s just the up and down that I have to get used to!

Regards.

Eddie.

17/08/2021 10:36:29

Hi. Ray, I don’t do exotic these days, Costa Del Wollaston is enough for me now.

I haven’t flown a model for more than sixty years now, when I had to make my own radio gear, using a rubber drive escapement, or free flight towline gliders and small, 30” wingspan rubber powered, I did get up to a 48” span control line Spitfire and a SE 2 biplane, I then got into boats and then steam, so I am regressing, I am back to my late teens at the moment.

I am just off to Northampton now to pick up a small, less than 250 grams, e flight Cub to practice with before I have to go through the rigmarole of CAA registration to fly the glider,

Regards.

Eddie.

17/08/2021 08:17:35

Hi. Ray,That is looking good, is that 25 percent of the build done with 75 percent to go into the finishing details?

I am having a break from boat building at the moment, I am building an e glider????

Eddie.

Thread: A couple of IOM yachts
18/07/2021 14:49:54

On the water at last.

img_1210.jpg

Not a lot of wind, but when there was a puff she made the most of it and accelerated away.

The bare hull weighed 1000 grams and with all the radio battery and sails fitted ready for the water she was 4050 grams, which I was quite happy with.

Eddie.

Thread: Thames Sailing Barge Stuff
18/07/2021 13:51:04

Hi. Tim, looking forward to seeing the progress on Kimberly. I have slowed to a holt on Westmoreland as I have finally finished my second Nimbus 3 IOM.

Regards.

Eddie.

10/07/2021 19:46:58

Hi. Bob, thanks for your interest. The hull below deck level is Nimbus 3, but the foredeck is from Graham’s Boxkite as I didn’t like the totally flat deck of the Nimbus, so it is a hybrid, or should that be mongrel?

Best wishes.

Eddie.

10/07/2021 17:43:09

Hi. Tim, sorry to hear about your IT problems, it is a real pain when that happens.

I have got to order some more 1.5X6mm bass planking, as well as some sheet to make the covering board’s and rails, as soon as I get them I can get busy on the top layer of planking. In the meantime I am trying to work out how to fit the servo winches, because the hull is shallow they will have to extend into the hatch cover area.

Regards.

Eddie.

09/07/2021 18:15:34

Thank you Tim, pleased that you approve.

Eddie.

09/07/2021 17:24:47

Here is a picture of Westmoreland in full flight.str59.jpeg

The picture is from a book by Kent and Freestone on building TSB's.

This picture is the detail of the joint of the chine were it changes from square to rounded at the bow and stern.

str73.jpeg

and this is my attempt at that joint.img_1199.jpg

img_1200.jpg

Eddie.

Edited By Eddie Lancaster on 09/07/2021 17:26:42

09/07/2021 17:05:34

At last I have finished the paint job on what started out as the first Nimbus hull to be built.img_1205.jpg

img_1206.jpg

It has only taken five months to get from the bare hull to this stage, most of the time was taken waiting for the right conditions, at least 18 deg. C and no wind, more time was spent with the hull hanging in the workshop letting the paint dry and harden fully. It just needs fitting out with the winch servo and radio, and the mast and rigging fitted.

Eddie

Thread: Colin Archer 1:15 scale
09/07/2021 09:36:53

When you are following other people’s work and plans you don’t have to do much thinking, just cut and glue the pieces together, when you are off piste then you have to spend more time thinking about how to get what is in your mind into a 3D object, it takes me a lot longer now before the penny drops as to how am going to do something.

Everything is looking good.

Eddie.

06/07/2021 15:11:24

Hi. Bob, thanks for that tip I will try it for the sharp bend needed at the bow.

Regards.

Eddie.

06/07/2021 13:03:13

Hi. Richard, thanks for your kind remarks, I find that bass is easier to bend than balsa when wetted on the outside of the bend, the first planks are only 1mm thick, the second layer will be 1.5mm so will need a bit more help.

Regards.

Eddie.

06/07/2021 09:46:17

Hi. Ray, I found when metal bashing that a casting could take a lot more time to turn into the finished item than a bundle of wood, and a lot of material could be liberated from a scrap bin with a small donation to the coffee fund.

Regards.

Eddie.

05/07/2021 22:24:15

Hi.again Tim, do these photo’s help? If you can download and expand them you can see the run and number of planks.

Eddie.dscf3288.jpgdscf3250.jpg

05/07/2021 21:36:26

Hi. Tim, I am now thinking about the final layer of planking, as like you I would like to see the planking through the paint.

The garboard planks need to twist through 90 deg. at the bow, and will need to be formed on a jig after a few minutes in boiling water, the planks at the chine also need careful jointing both at the stern and bow.

I agree, Ray would be onto his next build and planning the one after that😄.

Regards.

Eddie.

05/07/2021 19:03:46

The first layer of planks have now all been fitted to the frames.

img_1196.jpg

img_1197.jpg

A few places needed to be filled with some thin balsa and sanded back to give a level surface for the top layer of planks.

img_1198.jpg

Eddie.

Edited By Eddie Lancaster on 05/07/2021 19:05:10

05/07/2021 19:03:44

The first layer of planks have now all been fitted to the frames.

img_1196.jpg

img_1197.jpg

A few places needed to be filled with some thin balsa and sanded back to give a level surface for the top layer of planks.

img_1198.jpg

Eddie.

Thread: MV Stability (1949) - F T Everard & Sons
30/06/2021 17:12:29

Hi. Ray, don’t get too high on that stuff, we don’t want it bannedsad.

See what I mean about different ideas when building?

Regards.

Eddie.

29/06/2021 17:47:50

Looking good Ray, please keep us informed, every build is different in some way.

Regards.

Eddie.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Nylet
Premier March
Sarik
Coastal Shipping August 2021
SLEC
Restorers Wanted
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor