By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Noel

Here is a list of all the postings Noel has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: todays boating
24/08/2020 19:57:00

Why thank you for kind comments. Given I am relying on photographs and the famous Sailor documentary series for reference as much as I am on drawings its NOT going to come out 100% to scale, but the idea is to get it looking correct and in proportion. The flight deck shape was cut by the previous owner and is spot on so thats a good reference to help place everything else. I have side profile drawings too so with that a photographs I am comfortable its generally Right.

Yes for me too it had been a while since being on the broads (26 years) and it was reassuringly exactly the same as then, even with the hoards of people enjoying a UK holiday in lieu of the Med this year there were quiet places to be found especially if you don't mind swing mooring. Its also an unparalleled opportunity to enjoy model boating whilst holidaying!

24/08/2020 16:01:33

Hello. Yes it was a good morning at Bushy yesterday, have been away and busy at weekends so not been down for a while, nice to see people again.

Had a week on the Norfolk Broads recently where we did manage to do lots of boating though, both full sized and models.

img_20200817_170528870.jpg

Re the carrier, well I am still working my way along building the boat decks, deck extensions, catwalks and other bits that stick out up to flight deck level. I've done everything up to the forward quarters (see examples below). When I have this done I will then work on the bow itself which will need to be carved. The planking will then need loads of filling and sanding as I see it as more of a sub-structure for GRP than a finished hull outer if you get my drift.

img_20200727_115123611.jpg

Sitek has provided 4 propshafts (in 5mm stainless) and 44mm brass props, which look fantastic. Power will be four 800 sized motors I think. Car battery in centre compartment for power and (part of) the ballast.

Thread: Vic Smeed's HMS Cossack MM500
24/08/2020 13:32:44

Next year? I will be doing well to achevee that!

Cossack looks great though and so similar to the L class I refurbed, that they'd look good together too.

Thread: How to measure what motor I need.
03/08/2020 11:07:19

Nice work, it will have some presence on the water and no mistake.

23/07/2020 12:11:46
Posted by ashley needham on 23/07/2020 08:20:41:

Disappointment, flooding on K7 again, with 3s batt and not having hit any fish.

LOL and last week it was all my fault. BUT didn't K7 have perspex spray deflectors fitted at some point in its life to avoid water finding its way into places it shouldn't?

16/07/2020 11:43:48

Yeah I only had an hour free yesterday but it was good to be at the pond and see everyone again.

The toothpick drained its battery before you got there Ash, but its much more stable if you avoid turning when flat out!

Bluebird was great, really looks the part and has the right sounds and stance on the water. Shame I missed Crusader.

11/06/2020 16:33:13

Looks absolutely great. The flying jibs really makes it look fast even sat there.

10/06/2020 13:03:21
Posted by Ray Wood 2 on 10/06/2020 12:27:57:

Hi All,

Revolutionary idea how about giving the bow a little push out from the bank ?? It's only the size of a small kayak, too easy ??

Regards Ray

Far too easy!

10/06/2020 11:01:07

Dave, on same subject I was thinking similar,like this:

thrust.jpg

Which might be easier to install.

10/06/2020 09:04:40

Lovely decking. Is she based on any particular vessel or just a minds eye?

Thread: dedicated toolbox
10/06/2020 08:54:51
Posted by Colin Bishop on 08/06/2020 11:26:41:

I rely on Ashley's box.... laugh

And his long pole.

Colin

I can also vouch for the usefulness of Ashley's fishing pole when boats get stuck .

I generally take a toolbox with the usual selection of screwdrivers, allen keys, pliers, oiling pen, plus tweezers, superglue and tape. I use DSM type radio which need a bind plug to bind the receivers, so always have one of these handy as have been caught out in the past with receivers deciding to forget their bind to the Tx.

Another thing unrelated to tools, but good for pondside resilience, is to standardise connections and fittings across boats. So all my craft I've built lately have the same battery to ESC connector (deans) and ESC to motor connectors (bullets) - so I can swap batteries and parts between boats if required.

08/06/2020 17:39:13

bow thruster is probably only to help with low speed movements, I intend to have the shafts mixed with the rudder, was thinking of an Action P94 to control the outer shafts to get the effect you mention.

08/06/2020 14:42:22

Two smaller ones still £65 though,  But based on what Ray says, something 8ft long should be OK with, say, a 25mm bow thruster which comes out at a tolerable £40 or so? That would be reassuring for the wallet as I have to invest in 4 motors, shafts and a decent speed controller too.

thanks, Noel.

Edited By Noel on 08/06/2020 14:43:11

08/06/2020 13:15:56
Posted by ashley needham on 05/06/2020 18:08:31:

Wow....just seen the price of the largest bow thruster at Cornwall model boats Noel.....wowsy wowsy.

I had noticed the pricing on the Raboesch thrusters, the 19 to 25mm thrusters are about £40 ballpark, then you have to pay double for the 30mm one. Same motor. I know props are bigger, but doesn't make sense to me.

Doing final fiddling with frames and bits and pieces before making a start on planking the Ark.

05/06/2020 17:55:05

Ah right so its a wooden rendering of the plastic toy, so will it be blue/white/yellow or correct colours?

05/06/2020 16:10:59

Yes Ashley advised to use foam for the tricky bits and then the whole lot will be glassed. Might bring a few strips forward to the bow lower down near the keel where its still fairly straight.

Need to try and get a bow thruster in there too.

Thanks for that shop tip, looks great. Going to be a few weeks (if not months) before I get to that stage though.

Thanks!

05/06/2020 13:35:01

Bandsaw marvellous. I now have a bundle of 4mm ply strips 12mm wide by 8 feet long.

Keen to make a start on planking the Ark, but one question.

If I plank horizontally for most of it, when at the bow, itwill need a bit more curve, and diagonal planking might help. Is that right? If so should I bring the horizontal planks up to the first frame or the second one (see below).
There needs to be a break in the planks anyway because the hull is more than 8 ft long so only at the keel will an 8 ft strip make it all the way between stem and stern!

Or, do I use balsa block for the bow area and lots of carving and sanding?

All suggestions appreciated as I've never planked anything like this before.

img_20200516_164604525.jpg

04/06/2020 16:36:56

You mean something robust and portable like the wind-up Tri-ang boats? I've got a Pretoria Castle which is a nice size but not too big.

24/05/2020 17:37:18

BTW the silting and gas bubbling up is awful. Had nose round the whole of the boating pond and heron pond. The heron pond is looking very shallow at the edges all the way round, so the fishing isn't going to be too good either.

I think its just a coincidence that the silt has built up now, probably reached a critical point where it slows down the flow in and out, and then once thats happened it just gets worse and worse. All the ponds at Bushy are man-made so I guess they are just due for a clearout? Perhaps without lockdown it would have been done by now?

24/05/2020 15:47:15

Took bike ride from Twickenham to Bushy park this morning with two small speedboats. Only one worked, other one had melted speed controller. Bystanders asking where all the other boats were! Park busy even with carpark shut.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Premier March
Restorers Wanted
Nylet
Shrek
Tony Green Steam
Sarik
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor