By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roger Clark

Here is a list of all the postings Roger Clark has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: So what could I do with these?
08/04/2019 16:54:40

So I was having a re-arrange of some kit boxes and found these.

img_20190408_160253.jpg

They were spares for a drone that I built, the motors are outrunners and I still have a battery pack as well.

Sooo methinks hard chine hull smiley, possibly mtb et al but if so what size? I do have 6 more motors plus 3 more esc's so could do a triple prop jobby!!!! devil

Would they be good enough? What do my esteemed learned colleagues think?

I await with interest smiley

Thread: A Tug of two halfs
08/04/2019 10:36:30

Aaaw heck Ray, I thought they were all shades of grey, I've gone colour blind crying I'm spoilt for choice now!!!

Not sure how I'm going to do the stanchions though, have to look for ready made as I don't want to spoil the look.

Oh well onward and downward.

Hi Eddie, how's yours doing?

Roger

Edited By Roger Clark on 08/04/2019 10:37:38

07/04/2019 15:32:22

I'm trundling on slowly, found a video of railroad tug pics extracted from a web site, quite interesting for any closet tuggers lurking out there. wink

The website the photos come from is tugboats@yahoo.com

Further info available from Tugboats Enthusiasts Society, these are US tugs of all different types and sizes

Quick question, is the Gorilla foaming glue of any use in modelling?

Rog

04/04/2019 14:15:27

Haha, I'll have to look into my stock, I suspect my brass stock is a mite larger than that, need to get some smaller gauge wire anyway. Ooh I might be able to borrow a bit from my Löschkreuzer Weser kit.

Regards

Rog

03/04/2019 21:56:19

Hi Ray,

Thanks, I'm hoping to have my battery pack, once I know what to get size and type, and then I can test out placement before marrying up the 2 halves. Theres only one frame that could be opened up but there would be little space in there.

What's usually used for the control wires for the rudder? wire in tube? if so what size do I need as it will be a big rudder?

It seems ages since the last mag, I have taken out subs but don't know if we get the mag through the door earlier than they come out in the shops.

Regards

Rog

03/04/2019 19:45:57

Well, at risk of being told I'm rubbish here's a photo of progress so far frown

img_20190403_163252.jpg

Didn't do a great job on the first half but I'll see how the second half goes and maybe try a couple of tins of car filleryes and see how it looks then, might save on lead for displacement!!, and it's Christmas laugh, kind of.

img_20190403_163440.jpg

a couple of motors courtesy of Ray, Thank you Ray, a 261mm propshaft, 55mm prop and a water intake/outlet kit, just to look good wink. Ordered a 1 x 2M piece of fiberglass from the site we all know and love and got a 1M2 piece, not happy, waiting to see what they want to do, refund or send part 2. I'm assuming that Deluxe Products brand are the usual suppliers for this product (they weren't the seelers by the way).

Need to get some more bits yet, 20amp motor controller, uj, battery plus other leccys.

Regards

Rog

02/04/2019 10:09:51

Thanks Eddie,

Looking great smiley

Roger

01/04/2019 19:30:33

Hi Eddie,

Have you got a photo of the bow shape of the hull please? Just having a little bit of difficulty getting the shape right.

Thanks

Roger

29/03/2019 10:25:29

Hi Dave,

Thanks I'll put it on the list.

Hi Eddie,

Good idea, should act as a sound board, I think I'll concentrate on getting a serviceable boat first before adding the 'bells and whistles' so to speak. I have a number of raspberry pies and arduinos so might add in WiFi to drive the afformentioned.devil

Regards

Roger

Edited By Roger Clark 1 on 29/03/2019 10:26:00

Edited By Roger Clark 1 on 29/03/2019 10:27:03

28/03/2019 22:17:47

Hi Eddie, Are you following the designers method for building the superstructure? I'm thinking of using ply with planking on top but with a more hollow inside but I'm open to advice.

Like you I plan to cover the hull the same as you but will need to order the glass and epoxy, I'm thinking on 24gsm cloth and Zap Z-Poxy 12oz Epoxy Finishing Resin PT40, again open to advice from anyone smiley

I assume the Thames barge will be to the same scale as the tug?

I notice you said that the propshaft could have been shorter, would you have gone for the 261mm then?

Regards

Roger

28/03/2019 17:59:37

Ha ha, yes Eddie I'm building the 1/35 version, just need to start looking for 1/35 tugboat men now. Have you finished the superstructure now? Must be getting close to paint. laugh

I am have nervous thought about upscaling a second version big enough for steam.

I will post some pprogress soon, been busy outside with this summer we're having. Trouble is my hands and knees are knackered after so can't get into the dockyard but do intend to be complete and sailing by July.

Also have a 'BEE' to complete, it's a close to half scale hot air engine from the early 1900's

Regards

Roger

Edited By Roger Clark 1 on 28/03/2019 18:00:52

Thread: Cornwall Model Boats
27/03/2019 19:32:12

Must be me but this is what I'm getting

cmb.jpg

Yes, very wierd, ok on my phone!!!!

Edited By Roger Clark 1 on 27/03/2019 19:38:13

27/03/2019 18:59:28

Anyone having issues accessing their website? I haven't been able to for a couple of days now

Roger

Thread: Tug power pack
27/03/2019 17:21:52

Hi Ray,

I've pm'd you, I live in Ross-on-Wye in ?Herefordshire

Hmm 20lbs of ballast! have to check out a few roofs I think smiley

Roger

26/03/2019 22:45:49

Hi all, at the risk of creating a conglomeration of everything under the sun I am looking for advice on kitting out my J P Woods tug with motive power, i.e. motor prop, battery.

I do have tx and rx suitable for the tug but just want to test the water as they say on what range i should be looking at. be it geared motor, nimh or sla or lipo (which I have) and a prop so c'mon guys and gals wot you got smiley

Roger

Thread: A Tug of two halfs
26/03/2019 21:23:21

drill press.jpg

26/03/2019 20:37:51

Is that the 0-6-0 T?

My last 15 years of work was data preparation for various companies and meant I was working away from home for 5-6 days a week, didn't do a lot for recreation or for home life, if I had my time again would never do it whatever the salary was. for what I earned my pensions got stuffed up anyway so I make ends meet and have enough left to dabble in my hobbies.

I built my workshop up by buying tatty machines and restoring them, my last was a 1938 Denham Junior MkII lathe with little wear but looked like it had been repainted by a colour blind person with a whitewash brush. Just picked up a sensitive drill press at a local auction tonight for £28. It comes to those who wait. smiley

Regards

Roger

Edited By Roger Clark 1 on 26/03/2019 20:40:10

26/03/2019 19:38:32

Eddie, now I'm retired I thought yippee now I can spend my time in the workshop, then reality kicked in, rather the missus did, so now I'm working on the 10 year plan I started 30 years ago. crying Oh how I hate decorating!!!

I will get more info before I make any decisions re lipo batteries.

Ray, I had a look in your album but went boat blind laugh It is the way I'm working it's just me being a bit nervous about messing up, it's a whole new world to me.

Cheers

Roger

26/03/2019 10:23:16

Wow Eddie, do they call you Rocketman?wink I'm still getting my head round the best way to plank at the moment.

I have some lipo battery packs, any reason not to use them?

What size propeller would be suitable?

Regards

Roger

Edited By Roger Clark 1 on 26/03/2019 10:25:07

25/03/2019 10:15:36

Hi Eddie,

You wouldn't be stealing my thunder, rather stopping me disappearing into a whirlpool never to be seen again. 😁

Thanks for the advice, it will be taken up but I would love to see pics of your build as they say they're worth a 1000 words. Where do I find the belt reduction gearbox please?

Also what size and type of propshaft are you using?

I think my idea of using a steam plant will have to wait until I get this build safely afloat so I will concentrate on expanding the electronics side for a bit of realism.

Regards

Roger

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Restorers Wanted
Premier March
Sarik
Shrek
Nylet
Tony Green Steam
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor