By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roger Clark

Here is a list of all the postings Roger Clark has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Model Boats October 2020
20/09/2020 15:46:18

For October I concur, I only had a quick scan of the issue and the lack of the Boiler Room heading caught my eye.

Verdict: must do better sad

A thought just occurred, hope these errors are just in the digital copy and not the print!!! devil

Edited By Roger Clark on 20/09/2020 15:49:00

19/09/2020 12:05:03

Hi Chas, Yes absolutely smiley Errant pages below:

october p39.jpg

Seems to be missing Page 56, Boiler Room and probably Page 55.

Regards

Roger

18/09/2020 21:27:25

I think there's a problem with the Pocketmags issue, seems to be missing pages prior to page 57 (35 in the pocketmags numbering) sad

Roger

Thread: FREE Bespoke Model of WWII HMS Diamond
05/09/2020 13:23:23

Jason, read your PMs (personal messages), they're in the inbox at the top after you've logged in.

Regards

Roger

04/09/2020 15:24:27

Hi Jason, it would help if you gave the location of the model.

Regards

Roger

Thread: Machine Tools
03/09/2020 22:25:39

Dave,

if the Wolf Cub works for you, keep it! I also have a pillar drill that my father restored in the early '70s, it must be older than me but it weighs a 'ton' and never lets me down.

For the type of modelling we do (unless you plan to build locos or traction engines) a mini lathe and mini mill can be bought for £1500 along with a reasonable assortment of tools and cutters, the only proviso I would put on that is make sure the motors are brushless and the mill is belt driven, not gears, they can strip in a jam as they are plastic.

Regards

Roger

28/08/2020 15:34:33

Hi Dave C,

Difficult to advise unless you can give an idea of what you want to create with your proposed new tools.indecision

Firstly I would say go for new unless you have a competent engineer with you to look at and test used equipment. Decide on what you want to build, marine steam engines, locos, traction engines et al, that will then give you the size of machinery required. Don't buy off Ebay unless you can go and check/test the machine or have money to burn. angry

Set yourself a budget for your machine purchase and allow about 50% extra for buying the tools and extra bits required, milling bits, lathe cutting tools, measuring tools & gauges, consumables (oil and metal).

Myself, I have a chinese mini lathe and mini mill, they both have been good for my needs most of the time but I have been pushed to do the odd jobs on them, but I do have a circa 1937 Denham Junior lathe weighing 3/4 ton which will turn 15" dia stuff and access to a Bridgeport mill as well.

If you look to buy new then Chester machine tools, Warco or Arc Eurotrade both seem to have good reputations (amongst others). Eurotrade would be my first preference as all my transactions with them have been first rate with good honest advice (no backhanders here) devil.

Regards

Roger

Thread: Ship Repair
20/08/2020 11:45:02

Trois Mats Barque is just a generic name for that type of ship so finding an exact replacement woudl be near impossible.

You could drill the 2 broken parts and insert a loose metal peg with plenty of epoxy type glue and hold it in position until the glue sets and you should have an invisible joint. Otherwise you would need to buy a length of dowel and fashion to size.

Other than that put some holes in the sails and hull and say it's been in battle devil

Regards

Roger

Thread: Smoke unit
20/08/2020 11:33:53

Try **LINK**, not used them myself

Regards

Roger

Thread: Wanted - Veron Dolphin
15/07/2020 18:31:23
Posted by Dave Milbourn on 14/07/2020 18:54:02:

Roy

You probably already know that this kit was introduced in 1952 and that Veron ceased to trade in the early 80's so the chances of finding a kit are round about zero. However Phil Smith's son does have an archive of many of his Dad's designs and he might be able to supply a plan. Here's a link Vintage Models

Dave M

Sorry to drop in on this thread but thanks Dave smiley, I now have the plans for my part built Damen Stantug coming yippee laugh, yet another missing link for my part-built donations ticked off.

Regards

Roger

Thread: Lady Jan steam tug
05/07/2020 10:51:13

Hi Mark, Lovely boat, you should be proud of your dad smiley. Like Bob and Ray said you absolutely must join a club, make sure they have a boiler tester, commercial testers will cost you much money, and being in a club will benefit you with knowledge, experience and third party insurance which you must have if you float your boat anywhere that the public has access to.

If you give your location there may be some who can advise on a suitable club, not all model boat clubs have boiler inspectors but model engineering clubs generally do and some have a boating fraternity as well.

I would be surprised if a condenser tank wasn't on board, they are used to extract the steam oil before the steam goes up the chimney and into the environment, some clubs require this. In saying this the pipework looks quite complex and your dad would not be returning exhaust steam back into a water tank as you wouldn't want oil going into the boiler. Needs further investigation.

Regards

Roger

Edited By Roger Clark on 05/07/2020 11:00:28

Thread: Look what's just docked!
28/06/2020 11:01:10

Yes, definitely not a mantelpiece job, would need the nest of tables that we have and her flowers have that reserved. sad

Roger

28/06/2020 10:12:07

I'll answer the second question first Ashley...... NO smiley

As to the first I didn't know that pirates dressed like that as most of the historical features I've seen he could be anyone in period dress, i.e. a merchant or captain or anybody who wishes to dress like that.

It's just a bit of fun Ashley

It is well detailed, some of the trunks hold servos, He's put an ACTION unit in for a whistle, the lantern has an led in it. The last job to do is to add a mini servo to operate his drinking arm devil

The idea of displaying it in house has been torpedoed, hit the rocks, crashed and burned, sank without trace, not having that smelly thing in my house and that's final (wife's logical discussion with me laugh)! crying

Regards

Roger

Edited By Roger Clark on 28/06/2020 10:22:20

25/06/2020 19:01:05

No Ashley, I carry those to fend off the unwashed!devillaugh

Regards

Roger

25/06/2020 11:27:26

As my wife is 70 today I have a very valid argument for using her name Ray, she's always huffing and puffing and letting off steam devillaugh.

Jolly Roger would elicit too many comments that I would prefer not to hear, most of them from my wife.crying

Regards

Roger

Edited By Roger Clark on 25/06/2020 11:30:08

24/06/2020 19:31:23

Hi Eddie, Hmmmm 'Lady Barbara' has a nice ring to it angel, not sure that will quite swing it though but nice try Eddie wink

Roger

24/06/2020 19:02:01

Hi Chris , thanks, it'll be a while before she steams up as the certificate runs out this month so I might leave it until next year before I retest and float my boat. Display? yes good idea smiley, any suggestions as to broaching it with SWMBO as to replacing some of her beloved ornaments with a smelly dirty (her words) boat will be gratefully received, names and contact numbers required devil

Regards

Roger

24/06/2020 14:25:01

Finally had the Steam Launch delivered that I bought in early April smiley

hannah louise 3.jpg

Hannah Louise is the name and it's a scale boat originally electric powered then converted to steam.

hannah louise 2.jpg

hannah louise 1.jpg

The gentleman, now deceased, who built it has paid incredible attention to detailing it and making a scene of it rather than just a steam launch, I feel privileged to look after it for my time here. devil

Regards

Roger

Edited By Roger Clark on 24/06/2020 14:26:23

Thread: What boat is this?
22/06/2020 17:46:53

Hi Tim,

Are you sure you have posted this on the correct thread?

This barge had no mast for sails, the only mast was a short one on the top of the cabin and as far as I can tell was not wired. All the articles from Model Maker are in my album of the same name

Regards

Roger

Edited By Roger Clark on 22/06/2020 17:50:16

Thread: Wanted - ME mag vol 90 issue 2228 (1944)
19/06/2020 22:03:36

Hi Ray,

I've got all the rest of the mags that the build was in and they're like a jigsaw so just want it to check I'm not missing anything. It is just a basic generic description of the build, not like what we do wink, my concern is that the plans are faded and quite difficult to read so just gathering every bit of writing Andrew Bowness did on this boat like finding that the 'portholes' were 9" dia, it all adds up to getting it right.

It's not tinplate it's brass and I'm sure it's watertight but will be testing once I clean it up and do some repairs to it, nothing serious just a couple of frames have sprung.

Regards

Roger

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Shrek
Premier March
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Nylet
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor