By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Fellows

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Fellows has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Returning modeller
17/10/2020 11:07:02

Hi Jim

I'm using a 450mm long M4 prop shaft in one of my builds. It's a Raboesch maintenance free with a ballrace bearing at the motor end and Delrin at the other.

Raboesch make good quality stuff and I've gone with it based on if they make it, it should be Ok. They do 10k. and 15k. versions and as your boat will be revving much lower than this you shouldn't have a problem.

I haven't had my boat on the water yet though. They do an M5 as well which I'm going to use in another build.

Chris

Thread: Fairey Huntsman 31
16/10/2020 20:00:01

Edge pieces were produced by first cutting out a slightly oversize card template and then transferring to the timber and cutting out with the scroll saw. After clamping, the edge was sanded back to the edge of the deck.

Removed from deck and a width of 5mm was marked with pencil dots to form the inside edge, dots were then joined up using a large plastic curve and then carefully cut out with the scroll saw and carefully sanded with a concave PermaGrit block. Note the word carefully keep being used! Finally the pieces were glued to the deck.

Photo shows one edge glued in place and the other being sanded to the deck edge.

Transom piece to be done tomorrow to complete the bow detail and deck edging. The Swordsman has been done at the same time whilst I'm in the swing.

Chris

Edge detail 1

Edge detail 2

Thread: wood breaking
16/10/2020 00:31:26

I wouldn't waste your time chaps!

Chris

Thread: Yachting Monthly Eventide
15/10/2020 21:13:03

Looking sweet Ray

Do you really go to work as well! smiley

Chris

14/10/2020 18:57:16

Hi Ray

I'm following the method used by a chap on Mahem for his Huntsman build which looks great. For the planking he used Tanganyka stripwood which he chose for giving a similar look to teak which he finished with matt varnish. On the mahogany he used a gloss varnish.

I've got a tin of Schooner tung oil that I used on the birch ply deck and mahogany rubbing strips of the H28 so shall probably use that on all the mahogany.

Chris

14/10/2020 16:57:13

1.5 x 100mm mahogany sheet is being used to produce the bow detail and deck edgings within which the planking will sit.

Started by sticking 2 pieces to the bow with small pieces of double sided tape, roughly trimmed to shape and then sanded back to the edge of the deck with PermaGrit block and then 240 grit on a sanding block. The pieces were then carefully removed using a thin scraper to cut through the tape.

The shape of the bow detail was then drawn onto each piece of mahogany and carefully cut out with the scroll saw and then sanded back to the lines. The pieces were then glued in place with Slo Zap to give some time for positioning.

Chris

Bow detail 1

Bow detail 2

Bow detail 3

Bow detail 4

14/10/2020 16:38:33

Sanded the top of the forwardmost former (top of bulkhead No. 1) so that the sub-deck would sit properly and then added in another former between it and bulkhead No. 2 and sanded to profile.

4 No. pieces of 0.8mm birch ply (bow, by transom and 2 sides) were then cut to shape, slightly oversize, using card templates and then glued in place with a/resin and held with clamps and parcel tape. Left to thoroughly dry and then sanded around deck and internally where the coaming will be fitted.

Ready for sub-deck

Last part of sub deck fitted

Sub deck in progress

Sub deck finished

Edited By Chris Fellows on 14/10/2020 17:04:45

Thread: Mahealani - 75' motor yacht 1/24 scale
12/10/2020 20:01:44
Posted by Andy F on 12/10/2020 17:32:12:

We have a larger vehicle (an SUV at that), a Jaguar E Pace but taking that one would rather defeat the object of the trip - ie an open top roadster in the Mediterranean sunshine smile d

Plan B still looks favourite to me.

Hi Andy

That was one of the things I was planning to do in my retirement. Obviously on hold at the moment. sad

Chris

Thread: wood breaking
12/10/2020 16:55:12

I've used that method with timber sections but not successfully with thin ply as it tends to form a polygon rather than a smooth curve. Not saying it can't be done though.

Chris

Thread: Etherow Model Boat Club
07/10/2020 15:24:55

Bob

Did you lose any marks for building bigger?!

Chris

Thread: Huntress 23 Long Cabin Version
03/10/2020 17:22:52

Haven't done anything to it for a couple of weeks but since the last post I've sanded the bow blocks, bit of filling and covered the hull in lightweight cloth and Eze-Kote.

Fixed the stern-drive in place again to see how it looked.

Chris

Bow filled and sanded

Resin & cloth completed

Stern drive 9

Stern drive 10

03/10/2020 17:04:57

Where does the time go! smiley

Prompted by a comment that Ray made some time ago about me building similar boats I was considering changing the build from the Sport (full open cockpit) to the aft cabin version. Whilst I really like the look of the Sport I already have/am building three full cockpit boats (2 x Huntress and 1 x Huntsman 28) and my big 47" Huntsman 31 has a new owner and so I have made the decision to go with the aft cabin design.

To that end I've increased the size of the deck by the transom by adding in a ply former and infilling with that valuable commodity - balsa! Followed by sanding to the curve of the deck. The only other modification required is to add another former for the front of the rear cabin to sit on.

The 0.5 x 5mm Tanganyka timber strip arrived today for planking the deck. Need to add some additional formers to the deck to provide the camber and then glue the ply sub-deck in place and then planking can begin. I've bought enough strip for the Swordsman and Huntress as well.

Chris

Rear change 1

Rear change 2

Rear change 4

Thread: Norfolk Wherry
03/10/2020 01:59:14

Interesting build Jake.

Chris

Edited By Colin Bishop on 03/10/2020 09:00:50

Thread: Todays Boating
02/10/2020 10:43:59

Nice one!

Chris

Thread: Problem Accessing Digital Editions
19/09/2020 11:12:50

Sorted it. What I'm having to do is go into the browser settings for the older copies and allow access.

I'm guessing this has to do with the various browsers stopping support for Flash Player soon and that the more recent copies use different software to read them?

Certainly confusing!

Chris

19/09/2020 10:46:53

Hi

Just tried accessing some of the digital copies of the magazine.

Recent ones open fine but further back than March 2019 I get the message: You need to upgrade your Flash Player etc....Click below to download the latest version.

Tried that and I get a message to say the plugin is blocked.

I'm having a look at my settings but am confused as to why some open and not others? Anyone else experienced this problem?

Chris

Thread: Aeronaut Spitfire
10/09/2020 21:15:27

Having had a look I see that the transom is very shallow and so the prop is near the surface of the water. Even the boats going well generate a lot of white water from the prop once on the plane but not too much when getting there.

It's probably pretty borderline as to whether the boat works or not and as has been said by Harry and Ray you need to get the prop lower. I'd try it without the bow weight as the stern will come up when on the plane.

The kV of the motor and a small prop and a shallow draught is a recipe for generating a lot of aeration and no go!

Chris

10/09/2020 20:48:05

Hi Peter

Interesting what you say about the alignment of the prop. When I was researching the position of the stern-drive for my Huntress build I read that the prop, or most of it, should be positioned below the bottom of the hull so that it gets a good, clean flow of water.

Yours probably isn't cavitating but aerating (I think that's the term) resulting from sucking air from the surface. The prop is effectively running in air bubbles and isn't providing enough drive to get the boat on the plane and if it did the problem would be worse as a significant part of the prop would be out of the water.

I'll have a look on YouTube to see what the boat looks like.

Chris

Thread: Todays Boating
06/09/2020 21:57:49

I popped down to the club today for an hour or so to check out the Club 500 in readiness for tomorrow's racing. Hadn't been there for weeks for various reasons and the last time I went the fun stopped when the elastic bands holding the motor in place broke.

As well as replacing those I replaced the rubber hose coupling which was a bit short. Boat ran well and it was good to do a few laps as I was rusty. Annoyingly hit the furthermost bouy a couple of times and launched the boat.

Batteries now fully charged and all set to go.

Chris

Thread: Yachting Monthly Eventide
04/09/2020 23:14:39

Hi Ray

Cracking on as usual and looking good.

Chris

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Boats? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Boats!

Support Our Partners
Tony Green Steam
Restorers Wanted
Sarik
Premier March
Nylet
Shrek
Pendle Boilers
Shopping Partners
Social Media

'Like' us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Pin us on Pinterest

Member Contributions
Distributors of Model Boats for our overseas readers
Highlights

Make sure you never miss out on the latest news, product reviews and competitions with our free RSS feed

Make your own contribution to the Website

We welcome well written contributions from Website members on almost any aspect of Model Boating with a particular emphasis on practical hints, tips, experience and builds.

In order to maintain a consistent standard and format, all suggestions should first be sent to me by Personal Message for approval in principle. Only a very limited amount of time is available for editing contributions into a suitable format for placing on the website so it is important that the material is well presented, lucid and free from obvious spelling errors. I think it goes without saying that contributions should be illustrated by appropriate photos. I shall be happy to give advice on this.

The Member Contribution area offers space for short informative mini articles which would not normally find a place in Model Boats magazine. It is an opportunity for Website Members to freely share their  expertise and experience but I am afraid that virtue is its own reward as there is no budget to offer more material recompense!

I look forward to receiving your suggestions.

Colin Bishop - Website Editor